RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
I'd suggest waiting for it to be up on RoosterTeeth or YouTube, the EW video player barely works for me, it keeps pausing forcing me to reload, and there's no way to change video quality.

I am so hype.

Thoughts:
1: Ruby has definitely been level grinding. Digging her Semblance evolution, with a clear aesthetic theme mated to the different takes on Speedster powers.

2: The combat is much more give and take

3: Love the return of the melancholic acoustic guitar as her leitmotif. The trailer in general feels very wistful. The last shot of the other three girls :(

4: The new designs really emphasize the Grimm being not natural or indeed strictly biological creatures. Their forms seem tattered, half-amorphous, and the constant leaking black smoke and red light (something I wanted the Dragon to emanate in huge clouds) suggests they're not really solid.

I think the "Grimm are spirit constructs, like Schnee summons" just got another bit of supporting evidence. Of course they wouldn't have a detectable Aura separate from the body, they're made out of it.

Last edited:
Well well, RWBY certainly got some visual improvements. Also my estimation of Ruby's capabilities just skyrocketed.

Some general thoughts after seeing the trailer; nothing really new, since it's just the RTX trailer finally made public, but having it in full HD and not a recording definitely makes seeing details a lot easier.

The Grimm definitely radiate a lot more menace; the gorilla's just terrifying, especially with the mottled flesh on its neck and face.

Ruby feels just a bit older; it might just be the general graphical improvements or the new costume, but she feels a mite taller and more slender, more adult proportions. It has been most of the school year plus a time skip, so she would probably be pushing sixteen by now. Also, I wonder if Lindsay Jones might reflect that in her vocal performance? Her work as Ruby has been solid for what it is beforehand, but it might be neat seeing her move closer toward her lower, more natural vocal register.

Similarly, the other girls also look a bit older. Again, might just be the graphics or atmosphere, but they do feel a bit more careworn, Blake and Yang especially.

Also: Yang ponytail! Did not notice that in the recordings from RTX, but it's a good look. Expository hairstyle changes are a device I always appreciate.

That bit where Ruby split into three and reformed was pretty cool.
Agreed, seems to me that for Semblances there are high levels you can reach that unlock other abilities. Which is probably why the Schnee semblance has so many tricks, each family member just has a map of exactly where they should push their skills to develop new abilities.

Also I can see why Ruby developed the splitting trick since her biggest issue with her speed was the fact that she was mostly limited to linear motion, it was why Mercury could so easily tag her in the stadium and in her mind the new trick is basically a "I never want that to happen again" sort of thing.

Man the Entertainment Weekly player was garbage. Like the trailer looked awful from there but on Youtube it's way smoother and much more pleasing to the eyes.

Also I have skipped on half of Vol 2 and 3 but is it just me or is Ruby way more emotive when fighting?

Man the Entertainment Weekly player was garbage. Like the trailer looked awful from there but on Youtube it's way smoother and much more pleasing to the eyes.

Also I have skipped on half of Vol 2 and 3 but is it just me or is Ruby way more emotive when fighting?
Hmm compared to Volume 2 and 3 I would have to agree that that she is more emotive but that could also be due to the better animation allowing Ruby to in our eyes be more expressive/emotive when she was meant to be this expressive/emotive.

Last edited:
That bit where Ruby split into three and reformed was pretty cool.
Agreed, seems to me that for Semblances there are high levels you can reach that unlock other abilities. Which is probably why the Schnee semblance has so many tricks, each family member just has a map of exactly where they should push their skills to develop new abilities.

Also I can see why Ruby developed the splitting trick since her biggest issue with her speed was the fact that she was mostly limited to linear motion, it was why Mercury could so easily tag her in the stadium and in her mind the new trick is basically a "I never want that to happen again" sort of thing.
Rather than splitting into three I think its more likely that she's hiding herself within a cloud of rose petals while creating two other clouds that look the same to act as decoys and to confuse the enemy.

Hmm compared to Volume 2 and 3 I would have to agree that that she is more emotive but that could also be due to the better animation allowing Ruby to our eyes more expressive/emotive when she was meant to be this expressive/emotive.
It's definitely a animation thing. For one thing she has actual lips now.

It's definitely a animation thing. For one thing she has actual lips now.
Huh. So she does. At the very least, it makes her emotions much more evident, which also allows more subtle expressions to be used. She has a rather subtle frown when she faces off with the Beowolves, for instance.

Wow, Ruby's face looks very different with the new animation program, and I really dig it!
Also a nice little detail, at 2:43 when the gorilla hits Ruby, you can briefly see her Aura flaring up to tank the attack.
Yeah. I notice that Aura only does that with major impacts. Visually, at least.
And there are similar moments with the Grimm where Ruby's attacks kind of glance off of it, accompanied by a red flash.

I apologize for the double post, but this is important.

As I noted with the original leak, RWBY is finally beginning to look like something that'd be produced for TV, rather then the machinima produced by an indie studio that it is. The cel-shaded style does an excellent job of smoothing over the relative lack of detail for the human character models, which have themselves improved significantly. Meanwhile the Grimm are finally starting to get a distinctive and alien look to them, rather than them just being somewhat boring animalistic Hollow knock-offs.

Also I just noticed that the town has no walls or fortifications of any sort, and based off the screams is probably lacking in proper emergency shelters and evacuation plans as well.

As I noted with the original leak, RWBY is finally beginning to look like something that'd be produced for TV, rather then the machinima produced by an indie studio that it is. The cel-shaded style does an excellent job of smoothing over the relative lack of detail for the human character models, which have themselves improved significantly. Meanwhile the Grimm are finally starting to get a distinctive and alien look to them, rather than them just being somewhat boring animalistic Hollow knock-offs.

Also I just noticed that the town has no walls or fortifications of any sort, and based off the screams is probably lacking in proper emergency shelters and evacuation plans as well.
Must be an area with traditionally low Grimm activity. Or its really close to Mistral and is used to being able to get Huntsmen on a moments notice.

And yes the new Grimm designs are awesome. They finally look truly scary instead of being a mix between badass and derpy. And even Beowolves are badass now while still being fodder.

Last edited:
That would take far too much work (different program, different models, different action) then it would be worth (I'd rather longer episodes from episode 4+)
Give it another six years or so; it might be on the table for an anniversary release of the series, like RvB ultimately received for the Blood Gulch Chronicles.

Back