RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
...Viktor is in his thirties?! :o
That's what the person who watches the show tells me.
Uh, Zam? Click your ignored posters list. And don't be drinking anything.
Ah, well all right then, not sure if I should mark as informative or funny given your phrasing XD

To call an actor AU the same kind of thing as an AU off of canon or the kind that take characters and place them in new contexts and settings to see what happens isn't all that accurate as the point of it is that none of it is real and the characters are completely different people who play the characters on a show instead of versions of the character.
I am not going to keep arguing about this, because explaining again how shipping someone with their child grooming abuser "But its OK cos its an AU" squicks me on a persona level sounds tiring. Seriously, I do not get why people got so upset about someone finding the concept uncomfortable, just accept not everyone thinks its OK to ship Blake with her child grooming abuser even in AU's and move on.

Anyway,

I saw a Tumblr post earlier that had an intriguing point it wasn't for RWBY so I won't link it, but it basically was talking about how shows will or won't engage on certain topics based on its themes and meta narrative.

So for example, cos She-Ra isn't actually about militarism and the horrors of war, there was never going to be a war crimes tribunal or even discussion of the topic cos the war and battles were just set dressing, a background detail to give a source of conflict.

Yet people often critique She-Ra or complain about it not having like, the Nuremberg trials which would be at odds tonally and not line up thematically, with a series about dealing with familial and religious abuse and power structures.

With that in mind, it made me think on how that's an oft overlooked part of media critique, IE, engaging with the story the series is actually trying to tell over the story one might presume it was telling or feels it 'should' be telling.

Not really sure where I am going with this, but I think it informs at least some of the odd takes I see on the series and also explains some of the writing at times, like in terms of specific language used by characters.

Like, RWBY isn't a political play as the primary core, so RWBY & Co aren't going to be hung up on the legalities of Ironwood's decisions. This isn't a writing or character fault, its about what the series will naturally focus on based on its chosen themes. This is also why logistics aren't a major focus, its not that they aren't happening, but this isn't that kind of show, so its not going to be the main thing focused on beyond the bare minimum because there's other stuff the story demands the characters focus on and so on.

...Viktor is in his thirties?! :o
That's a "he's that young" reaction. Right?
I mean he's a peer to vander who seemed heyoic retired badass 40s so...

Anyway to rwby

going off the possible motive character development question?
Yang has clearly shed her lack of or willful avoidance of planning and foresight. Or at least...gotten more...mature about how to go about it. Accepting ties, obligations, and challenges.and seen dark side and result of her proposed life.

Blake. Well she knows can help persons, if not a people and moreover sees how people can help and grow themselves
So at least won't follow ironwood or adam's path of development. Hmm maybe once this over she goes back to synthesize the white fangs approach. Being a knight order as much as protest group. Doing probono for faunus in need but taking jobs help all?

Something i like is that weiss knowns can share schnee name with brother now

Last edited:
I am not going to keep arguing about this, because explaining again how shipping someone with their child grooming abuser "But its OK cos its an AU" squicks me on a persona level sounds tiring. Seriously, I do not get why people got so upset about someone finding the concept uncomfortable, just accept not everyone thinks its OK to ship Blake with her child grooming abuser even in AU's and move on.
We're not, the argument is that the AU is that none of them exist, they're just actors playing parts, and the main thrust of the idea you're complaining about is turning towards the guy being the opposite of Adam and never interested in Blake's actor at any point in it.

That's what the person who watches the show tells me.

Ah, well all right then, not sure if I should mark as informative or funny given your phrasing XD

Anyway,

I saw a Tumblr post earlier that had an intriguing point it wasn't for RWBY so I won't link it, but it basically was talking about how shows will or won't engage on certain topics based on its themes and meta narrative.

So for example, cos She-Ra isn't actually about militarism and the horrors of war, there was never going to be a war crimes tribunal or even discussion of the topic cos the war and battles were just set dressing, a background detail to give a source of conflict.

Yet people often critique She-Ra or complain about it not having like, the Nuremberg trials which would be at odds tonally and not line up thematically, with a series about dealing with familial and religious abuse and power structures.

With that in mind, it made me think on how that's an oft overlooked part of media critique, IE, engaging with the story the series is actually trying to tell over the story one might presume it was telling or feels it 'should' be telling.

Not really sure where I am going with this, but I think it informs at least some of the odd takes I see on the series and also explains some of the writing at times, like in terms of specific language used by characters.

Like, RWBY isn't a political play as the primary core, so RWBY & Co aren't going to be hung up on the legalities of Ironwood's decisions. This isn't a writing or character fault, its about what the series will naturally focus on based on its chosen themes. This is also why logistics aren't a major focus, its not that they aren't happening, but this isn't that kind of show, so its not going to be the main thing focused on beyond the bare minimum because there's other stuff the story demands the characters focus on and so on.

This is also why RWBY will never go deeper into the anti-faunus racism stuff.

Warning: Just a small reminder that respecting other users is a rule here, even if you disagree with them.
just a small reminder that respecting other users is a rule here, even if you disagree with them.
And that those that aren't doing so will get a weeklong threadban. So please mind what you post, and refrain from insulting others for their views.

Wait I thought Blake leaving home was her own decision?
In the comics a year after they met Adam is I guess surprised Blake even joined up with Sienna militant WF when she was 12.

It seems similar to those stories of kids running off to join the military.

Wait I thought Blake leaving home was her own decision?
In the comics a year after they met Adam is I guess surprised Blake even joined up with Sienna militant WF when she was 12.

It seems similar to those stories of kids running off to join the military.

Blake met Adam at least once before her parents left the White fang. At the time, he was something of a hero for the cause, and she may have had a bit of hero worship. They didn't develop an actual relationship until later on, possibly when she was 15-16. Her parents did not know of that, something Kali was seen furious at herself for not catching in the DC Comics series.

Jesus the sheer cope in that made me feel bad for the writer. It's been what? Three years since the show paired Yang and Blake up? The development since then has been so slow that people are now trying to twist themselves in to pretzels to justify the lack of anything substantial happening. I really feel like Roosterteeth just aren't brave enough to commit to the relationship at this point, at least not in a way that requires them to be upfront about it instead of just making vague allusions.

Jesus the sheer cope in that made me feel bad for the writer. It's been what? Three years since the show paired Yang and Blake up? The development since then has been so slow that people are now trying to twist themselves in to pretzels to justify the lack of anything substantial happening. I really feel like Roosterteeth just aren't brave enough to commit to the relationship at this point, at least not in a way that requires them to be upfront about it instead of just making vague allusions.

Even though their pair has been teased in various ways since the beginning? o_O"

Even though their pair has been teased in various ways since the beginning? o_O"
Yeah, until the actual Establishing Relationship Moment it's all just ship teasing to me. I don't know how well you remember the early days of RWBY, but that shit was crazy in-universe and out back when we only had like, one or two seasons of character interaction and the writers liked to make little references to fan stuff, like the team move names being named after ships. Plus the fan theories lmao, they were even nuttier.

Even though their pair has been teased in various ways since the beginning?
But not as much as Black Sun. Up until Burning the Candle, the most people point to was how Red Like Roses brought up black and yellow and if they wanna be a little sus, the fact that Blake possibly stalked Yang during the Entrance Exams. Meanwhile we have Sun winking at Blake within the first minute of his introduction.

Last edited:
Man I remember Blacksun getting pushed so hard by just about everyone, everywhere. Kinda wild how things change in retrospect.

Man, the establishing relationship moment is going to have a hard time topping all the previous establishing relationship moments...

I mean I do disagree with the notion that Blake and Yang are already in a relationship but I do think the show has gone out of it's way to make clear the two have strong romantic feelings for each other and their relationship is..somewhere inbetween a romantic relationship and being best friends. I don't think RWBY is scared to progress it to full romance, I just think they're picky about when they want that to happen because it's two main characters.

Loved this DC Crossover:

I mean I do disagree with the notion that Blake and Yang are already in a relationship but I do think the show has gone out of it's way to make clear the two have strong romantic feelings for each other and their relationship is..somewhere inbetween a romantic relationship and being best friends. I don't think RWBY is scared to progress it to full romance, I just think they're picky about when they want that to happen because it's two main characters.
I mean, let's all keep in mind that people treated Renora like they were dating since V1 but they haven't actually started any kind of official romantic relationship as of V8. RWBY's a slow burn series at the end of the day.

Also I was three days late for a national holiday!

Man I remember Blacksun getting pushed so hard by just about everyone, everywhere. Kinda wild how things change in retrospect.
I mean here's the thing, Sun was clearly interested in Blake and vice versa, then Volume 3's ending happened and their relationship changed, the romantic aspects dropped away, and then Sun left the Show. It's not BlackSun was just fans reading into things that weren't there, the attraction was there, relationship just never panned out.

I mean, let's all keep in mind that people treated Renora like they were dating since V1 but they haven't actually started any kind of official romantic relationship as of V8. RWBY's a slow burn series at the end of the day.
Yeah. Renora was clear from their first appearance but we didn't have a kiss until Volume 7.

I mean here's the thing, Sun was clearly interested in Blake and vice versa, then Volume 3's ending happened and their relationship changed, the romantic aspects dropped away, and then Sun left the Show. It's not BlackSun was just fans reading into things that weren't there, the attraction was there, relationship just never panned out.
Yeah that was honestly kinda a fresh take. Normally in a lot of ships the first person paired up is the One True Love, so it was nice to see the more normal and realistic happening of the relationship not working out despite both being interested in it due to circumstances beyond their control.

Part of me also kinda hopes that happens with Bumblebee too, not for any dumb 'teh gehs are teh ebil" or anything like that, but because it'd keep things fresh and exciting to see who they'll end up with next. I tend to grow bored with a ship when it gets confirmed, the journey is more interesting than the destination, and god knows I've binged enough RWBY fics to have seen pretty much every variation on how the relationship will turn out lmao.

Last edited:
Well yeah, 'cause that's real life. Fiction is way more dramatic and has to sell an audience on an idea hard enough or their goldfish brains wont notice or remember it.

Back