RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
Except in the AU he's not, he's an actor trying to make a point about how horrible the character he plays is. Blake and Adam's actors having had a thing probably isn't a good thing, unless Blake is actually older than him but like most shows they got actors older than their roles for the series.
And he's still a 23 year old romancing a 17 year old.

I find shipping them even an an AU capacity to steadily go from, "Hah this is an amusing AU" to "Oh this got super uncomfortable" right quick, and think just as they have a right to post their ideas, I have a right to observe that it makes me uncomfortable and that shipping someone with their canonical, groomer and abusive, even in an AU captivity it off-putting.

Me saying that doesn't mean I am magically stopping you from engaging with the idea, so jumping on me over it serves no practical purpose to your interest.

Except in the AU he's not, he's an actor trying to make a point about how horrible the character he plays is. Blake and Adam's actors having had a thing probably isn't a good thing, unless Blake is actually older than him but like most shows they got actors older than their roles for the series.

Pretty, much, yeah. Every high school character in pretty much every show has always been an actor in their 20s, so Blake the actor would definitely be older than Blake the character.

And he's still a 23 year old romancing a 17 year old.
Or they're both in their upper twenties playing people who are 23 and 17, and probably have no real relationship. Adam's actor might play the role of monstrous characters to make sure people see that yes, this character is a bad guy. Honestly one might be able to do as much with having him not have met Blake's actor before the show as them having had a thing before the show. The character ruining their relationship is probably a bad plot line to follow given how that might be seen though.

Maybe they end up developing a thing because he tries to be fun and helpful when he's off screen to help people remember than even though he plays assholes he's not one himself? Probably has people who watch the show having the same reaction a lot do to Joffery's actor though.

Or they're both in their upper twenties playing people who are 23 and 17, and probably have no real relationship. Adam's actor might play the role of monstrous characters to make sure people see that yes, this character is a bad guy. Honestly one might be able to do as much with having him not have met Blake's actor before the show as them having had a thing before the show. The character ruining their relationship is probably a bad plot line to follow given how that might be seen though.

Maybe they end up developing a thing because he tries to be fun and helpful when he's off screen to help people remember than even though he plays assholes he's not one himself? Probably has people who watch the show having the same reaction a lot do to Joffery's actor though.
Cutting everything else out of my post to focus on a thing that only got jossed because I brought it up and that is scarcely if ever the case from any actor AU I've ever seen isn't exactly a good look and addresses all of nothing.

Seriously, what is it about me noting shipping Blake with her canonical abuser and groomer in your AU makes me uncomfortable has upset you so much, as noted, its done nothing to stop you posting about it and its not like it will warrant mod action. So why do you care so much that shippping Blake with her canonical abuser and groomer makes me uncomfortable on this very much a public forum?

Really, for ultimate laughs, Adam's actor needs to be openly gay.

"Honestly, even besides everything else, the people that insist on shipping us in real life run into one major problem. Blake just isn't my type. At all."

"Honestly, even besides everything else, the people that insist on shipping us in real life run into one major problem. Blake just isn't my type. At all."
See this is funny, avoids the creep factor and would also piss off the Adam stans who project onto him as this icon of masculine power or whatever.

Cutting everything else out of my post to focus on a thing that only got jossed because I brought it up and that is scarcely if ever the case from any actor AU I've ever seen isn't exactly a good look and addresses all of nothing.

Seriously, what is it about me noting shipping Blake with her canonical abuser and groomer in your AU makes me uncomfortable has upset you so much, as noted, its done nothing to stop you posting about it and its not like it will warrant mod action. So why do you care so much that shippping Blake with her canonical abuser and groomer makes me uncomfortable on this very much a public forum?
I'm not saying to ship them, I'm just saying that if one does make a story out of this there is no reason for or against besides the character that the actor plays. Hell I'd argue that shipping him with Yang or even Ruby would be funnier than that if you had to have him with one of the others from the show and probably be less weird than trying to paste character relationships from the show onto what are supposed to be actors playing them. Make Adam a guy that's younger than he looks or her older than she does if you want the thing with Ruby though. They're actors so they're probably all adults anyway, with the possible exception of Oscar unless he's the Tom Holland of that world or something.

Yes, that's even better. Have his Lieutenant from volume 2 be his boyfriend that he got a role for or something.

See this is funny, avoids the creep factor and would also piss off the Adam stans who project onto him as this icon of masculine power or whatever.

Remember back at the height of Twilight Mania, how the shippers insisted that Bella and Edward need to be together IRL? Like that, with the sheer level of 'not giving a fuck about the crazies' that is Rob Pattinson :p

@GuestLurker I wasn't trying to paste character relationships from the show onto what are supposed to be actors playing them, I was noting that because of the actual series canon certain ideas being discussed made me uncomfortable, nothing more, nothing less.
Remember back at the height of Twilight Mania, how the shippers insisted that Bella and Edward need to be together IRL? Like that, with the sheer level of 'not giving a fuck about the crazies' that is Rob Pattinson :p
Gods I recall them trying to buy all the magazines that announced he was dating the director or something and destroying them, that was a fucking lawless fandom.

@GuestLurker I wasn't trying to paste character relationships from the show onto what are supposed to be actors playing them, I was noting that because of the actual series canon certain ideas being discussed made me uncomfortable, nothing more, nothing less.
Which while understandable, kind of misses the point of what an Actor AU is supposed to be: People with the same faces being shockingly different from what canon trains us to expect to the point where they really shouldn't even have the same names outside of one-shot joke ideas.

Continuing on my previous thought about Adam's actor's boyfriend playing the Lieutenant, and how a lot of people early in the show saw him and Yatsuashi as having very similar builds if not looking like possibly being the same model entirely, maybe he was originally just an extra given a spot because he came with Adam that day, and they gave him Yatsuashi's role too to keep him on or something?

Which while understandable, kind of misses the point of what an Actor AU is supposed to be: People with the same faces being shockingly different from what canon trains us to expect to the point where they really shouldn't even have the same names outside of one-shot joke ideas.
And again that does nothing to address my point that it makes me uncomfortable regardless. Trying to essentially argue me into not being skeeved out by any iteration of Blake being shipped with her canonical groomer and abuser is a waste of time, so maybe just stop trying. This is a public forum, I don't have to breathlessly support every little thing posted here or keep my peace when something makes me uncomfortable, same to you.

That Yatsuhashi idea seems workable.

Rule 3: Be Civil, or, "Going out of your way to insult a user is not okay, regardless of the reason. Don't do this please.""
It's always funny when people on this thread complain about circular arguments regarding topics like Ironwood (usually when they're losing said arguments) then willingly rehash the same tired old discourse because they refuse to drop their long-outdated assertions. Around the fifth or sixth time you're willingly dragging up old shit because no one's allowed to have fun if they're specifically not having fun, it really should dawn on people to rethink things.

And again that does nothing to address my point that it makes me uncomfortable regardless. Trying to essentially argue me into not being skeeved out by any iteration of Blake being shipped with her canonical groomer and abuser is a waste of time, so maybe just stop trying. This is a public forum, I don't have to breathlessly support every little thing posted here or keep my peace when something makes me uncomfortable, same to you.

This is also a public forum you are not a moderator in and have no power over. People do not have to drop discussions or entirely gear-change them because you don't want that discussion to be had. We do not have to capitulate to your every demand because you're the fun police. If you're uncomfortable with a topic, you can sit out the thread for a few hours and let it pass like any other person.

I'm sorry Adam makes you uncomfortable, but given how incessantly riled up you always get whenever anyone so much as mentions him without including a laundry list of death threats at his fanbase and five different Tumblr essays about how Adam ordering his coffee is proof he probably has a sex dungeon, you really should just stop engaging with Adam discourse because it's getting really hard to feel sorry about your discomfort when you keep bringing it up. You're like someone who elicits sympathy from accidentally stepping on a nail, then keeps stepping on it to elicit the same reaction whenever you're wrong so people don't call you wrong.

You've said your piece on Adam countless times already, going all the way back to Spacebattles where you partly got banned from all RWBY forums there for your incessant need to bring it up every month and your incessant cross-posting of drama. You think he's a child groomer, you think his fans are universally terrible and deserve the death penalty and presumably other things in all the Tumblr essays you repost for likes. I don't care. You're annoying, which I do care about. You don't get to kill a shitpost discussion because of your hang-ups.

"Oh well if me calling Adam a child groomer annoys you maybe that's because you're in support of them!" That's you, every time this comes up and someone tells you to stop. And no, I don't give a shit if you've gaslit yourself into thinking Adam groomed Blake.

You're a discount debatebro for Adam and it's really annoying. Stop whining about him and move the fuck on. He's been dead for three fucking years. Let people have their fun, if it upsets you that much then don't engage and just wait for the topic to move on like I do whenever anyone tries to defend Ironwood's shitty writing. Go whine on Nyanarchy about Adam for all I care, given you already plan your blocklists there with Matrix.

Last edited:
Ruby's hobbies were originally going to be fashion and photography, but her actress is big into making cosplay costumes and the show decided to run with it.
  • One of her builds actually made it into the show; ironically, it was Jaune's weapon and shield.
  • Ruby's original hobbies were eventually recycled for Coco and Velvet.
This realky feels what real appeal to show was. This we're part of a production only to anime-game we likedwith favorite internet friend. Right down to actors and prod staff

Tryrion's actor is kinda like the Mads Mikkelsen of their universe, even being a Bond villain the man with the golden tail, got in because he had a younger Relative working on the show tell him about how they were introducing a Unhinged villain he is tired of playing the more "Monotone" villains. He is also missing the tip of his tail in real life, a Car accident when he was young, and that kinda introduced the plot point of Tryrion losing his tail in the show.
My conception of Tyrian is that he was a Leonard Lemoy/Anthony Daniels type in that he was a classically trained actor who hated the show, his character and the writers at first and only took the role for the money, but eventually came around to appreciate and enjoy it.

and five different Tumblr essays about how Adam ordering his coffee is proof he probably has a sex dungeon,
You say that like it's a turnoff to the Adam Stans.
You think he's a child groomer,
To be fair he is, but that isn't the limit of how he can be used, especially when the idea is that literally none of the characters actually exist and they're all being played by actors. Speaking of, which actor acts most like their character?
And no, I don't give a shit if you've gaslit yourself into thinking Adam groomed Blake.
He convinced her to leave her parents at twelve to follow him, then got into a romantic relationship with her, which sounds a lot like child grooming to me.
Let people have their fun, if it upsets you that much then don't engage and just wait for the topic to move on like I do whenever anyone tries to defend Ironwood's shitty writing.
You're arguing the worst data points to defend your position. You're right about how zealous he is, but your takes are also pretty bad.

To quote someone else on the topic:
By creating an AU you are engaging with something that in source material is incredibly shit and uncomfortable; AU's are derivations from canon and you cannot, for the life of you, completely severe their ties with the source material

This is like viktor/jinx shippers who go, "theyre both in their twenties here in this fic!!1!" which is still mighty uncomfortable given in canon viktor is in his 30s and jinx is 19 at most.

your AU makes me uncomfortable has upset you so much,
Because you intended to share your discomfort, publicly, in a way to tie to moral and social failing, in contrast to fun folks were having?
I mean poster didn't setout to make you uncomfortable, you did set out to disrupt, unless mentioning age difference and abuse...aren't upsetting but make you uncomfortable?

sorry do you have a history with that, by the way? How can we approach this in open discussion without undue distress so you can tolerate topic as it comes up but you can wait it out?
Or. Could be this.
Seriously what is your problem.

This isn't stopping childgroomers. And your trauma, if exists, is from internet fan debates. Not sexual abuse/harassment. Implying that is a concern is a sickening way to direct a conversation.

Last edited:
By creating an AU you are engaging with something that in source material is incredibly shit and uncomfortable; AU's are derivations from canon and you cannot, for the life of you, completely severe their ties with the source material
To call an actor AU the same kind of thing as an AU off of canon or the kind that take characters and place them in new contexts and settings to see what happens isn't all that accurate as the point of it is that none of it is real and the characters are completely different people who play the characters on a show instead of versions of the character.

Back