RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
And in the end Oscar just revealed everything to Ironwood anyway.
Tellingly the V7 Commentary Track mentions what was already pretty obvious with hindsight:

That dropping the immortality truth-bomb on Ironwood may have been a mistake. That Ruby and Oscar got caught up in the moment of truths being laid bare and good things resulting from that and failed to realize that said piece of knowledge may have been more than Ironwood could take. That while he might have been able to pull himself together in the moment by focusing on a more immediate issue (handling Watts) he definitely filed that piece of information away for later and used it to shape his decision making from that point on.

In other words it's possible, even plausible that Ironwood might not have fucked up so spectacularly in response to the chess piece or at least would have been more open to RWBY/Oscar talking sense into him after fucking up if he had remained blissfully unaware that all his big fancy guns couldn't kill Salem.

It's like his death writ large really. In the end he has Salem in his sights with a gun but gives up without even attempting to take the shot, because why bother when she's immortal? All while failing to realize that he could do a lot to hinder her plans by killing Cinder.

Two teams, no matter how good, aren't a magic fix. Ironwood was still choosing to leave the wall in a state of disrepair, increasing the odds of Grimm entering the city and endangering innocents, all for a project that wasn't time critical. It's a good example of how he had good intentions, but failed badly in the execution.
This i disagree with. As proven by how hard it was derailed by enemies.
Moreover it was wrong but the exact kind that creeps up on you.

What "control" did RWBY had? They don't own an army, they don't have a seat in Atlas' council.
1. That's my issue with the morality play of the story. Rwby not guilty by reason of desperation or innoecence of authority
2. Even while benefiting or having cooperation of those who do
Consider the staff. Once took out ironwood and had the staff...why was evacuation necessary by their election alone?
And was the error their fault or everyone else's and not them taking on too much and their own distrust making so people die in desert?

Last edited:
In other words it's possible, even plausible that Ironwood might not have fucked up so spectacularly in response to the chess piece or at least would have been more open to RWBY/Oscar talking sense into him after fucking up if he had remained blissfully unaware that all his big fancy guns couldn't kill Salem.

So something that was impossible to keep hidden with her right fucking there and would have been worse coming out after she mulched a bunch of Atlas soldiers since Ruby literally would have sent a lot of people to their deaths for a lie?

Because newsflash Ironwood has made to clear what he would do if he hadn't know Salem couldn't be killed was to have his army try to kill her you know the whole thing his Amity plan was building up to.

The terrible thing about this take is that you've basically gave RWBY a Morton's fork.

Don't tell Ironwood the truth? He assumes Salem can die and send hundreds of people to their death.

Tell Ironwood the truth? He goes crazy and tries to go to space, letting how many people die in the process.

…Huh.

That's certainly a possible take, but I'm worried this is a case of possibly reading too much into it. I can see her seeing high class femininity as a symbol of power and that's why she tries to imitate it, but hates it? I dunno, I think we'd see her venting more frustrations on more feminine characters like Weiss or Nora. The person she brought her frustrations out the most on in regards to her backstory was Winter, who is more in the middle on the butch/femme scale.

…Huh.

That's certainly a possible take, but I'm worried this is a case of possibly reading too much into it. I can see her seeing high class femininity as a symbol of power and that's why she tries to imitate it, but hates it? I dunno, I think we'd see her venting more frustrations on more feminine characters like Weiss or Nora. The person she brought her frustrations out the most on in regards to her backstory was Winter, who is more in the middle on the butch/femme scale.
I'm a little confused, as far as I can tell the post didn't reference Cinder wanted to destroy feminine things, she wants to embrace and replicate and embody it but for extremely toxic reasons, because she associates it with power to the point where she imitates Madam's heels, that's why its toxic, not because she wants to harm or destroy feminine things out of resentment.

Here's something to consider. Ironwood's thinking was that helping the other Kingdoms prepare for Salem and restestablishing communications was more important than the homefront, very ass backwards thinking in general.

As far as ass backwards, there's the way that Atlas was going about "helping" other countries...by sealing the borders and ending the export of dust. In a series that emphasizes coming together, they not only isolated themselves, they harmed other nation's ability to protect themselves.

that time of year

Blake when---

Some Guy

Thinking of Winter

As far as ass backwards, there's the way that Atlas was going about "helping" other countries...by sealing the borders and ending the export of dust. In a series that emphasizes coming together, they not only isolated themselves, they harmed other nation's ability to protect themselves.

And it's the second time the same region tried to help by doing what turned out to be a dumb idea. -.-

That was for entering Atlas on a stolen Atlesian airship, not acting as a huntsman. If I recall correctly, Ace Ops didn't really know who they were at the time and got chewed out as soon as they got to Winter.
That's not the main reason they gave for showing up, it was the gunfire and the ship was merely a suspicious detail added to the reasons to arrest them.
He also brings it up first, implying that's the reason they're getting arrested, with the unauthorized use of weapons being a bonus charge.
Being in an area something illegal happened is not illegal, the weapons are what made them an acceptable target with the ship added as a major charge that they had no direct evidence of.
Clover was kinda bullshit like that, wasn't he?
But he was always so gosh darn charming when he wasn't bringing the boot down on you.
1. That's my issue with the morality play of the story. Rwby not guilty by reason of desperation or innoecence of authority
And yet people keep acting as though Ironwood isn't wrong for similar reasons to those while they blame RWBY for not having the power.
So something that was impossible to keep hidden with her right fucking there and would have been worse coming out after she mulched a bunch of Atlas soldiers since Ruby literally would have sent a lot of people to their deaths for a lie?
They didn't know she was coming at the time.

But he was always so gosh darn charming when he wasn't bringing the boot down on you.

He really is an example of how 'Nice' doesn't always mean 'Good'. And as I've noted before, that first appearance really set the scene for his final fate. Ignoring the greater threat (Grimm, Tyrian), in favor of doing Ironwoods will, in the most heavy handed way possible.

Seems weak as far as references go. Neither of those is a spy or an assassin. Especially since Cinder (spy), Mercury (assassin), and Emerlad (not psychic but close enough) is right there.

Seems weak as far as references go. Neither of those is a spy or an assassin. Especially since Cinder (spy), Mercury (assassin), and Emerlad (not psychic but close enough) is right there.

Oooooor, and hear me out on this, they picked those characters because that is what the person asking for the commission wanted.
Oh, and said commissioner? Kdin. The voice actress of May.

Now while their jobs don't match, some character relation at least does.
Spy - Twilight/Loid and Winter - A skilled agent that will do their job
Child - Anya and Penny - Both want to be a human (each in a different way) and are looked after by Loid/Winter

As for May, as said before it's the character Kdin voices and is connected to, so maybe Kdin likes to ship May with Winter, and both are from rich Atlesian families and are kind of seconds to their factions leaders (Winter is second to Ironwood and some fans see May as Robyn's second in command).

So honestly, not as weak as you think. And honestly I am surprised if you are making this kind of claim that you didn't make the same comment when I posted a link to a fan art the other day with Ruby as Loid and Weiss as Yor and again Penny was Anya.

Back