RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
I know it was intended as a joke but the Prismatic Ponytails one is entirely accurate. That ship exists for irony and useless lesbian jokes.

Definitely, what with their whole past with the SDC and all. It's part of why some people shipped Weiss/Blake in the first place, after all.
Yeah, plus there is the whole, Weiss basically came from 'royalty' and Ilia 'feeling like a princess' in getting to live in Atlas, similar weapons and general styles, plus the Monochrome stuff as you noted but it is even stronger cos of Ilia's history with those mines. Lots of neat little contrasts, similarities and such that could make for an interesting dynamic I feel.

Plus if you really want to have some fun it could be that Weiss did have a bit of a crush on Yang during season 5 and now both she and Illia are dealing with their crushes hooking up with each other.

So if Indomitable is Ruby's song, (considering the scene it plays and the chorus it is), who is the man that she's calling a god in the first verse? Ozpin? She's got a really weird view of Ozpin lol.

"I met a man
He had a dream
I tried to understand, but
Nothing was what it seemed

Sometimes
That's how gods roll
We'd sit for hours
He'd share his plans
To build a universe, and
Make every part by hand"

Jeff Williams – Indomitable Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
Cause it's not, it was presented as one in show but it's a Monty Oum song.

some really neat insights on Tumblr regarding Cinder, I can't link the post but will source the lines:

theaudientvoid noted that:
"The great paradox of Cinder is that her seemingly naive trust in her allies is actually rooted in her own instant and unquestioning willingness to assume the worst about their motives. Of course Raven wants to murder her own brother. Who doesn't? There's no way she's actually just manipulating me to get access to the Spring Vault. Similarly, she assumes that Neo's desire for revenge will be assuaged by killing Ruby; it never occurs to her that Neo might actually just be manipulating her. Cinder's greatest weakness is her belief that everyone is as petty as she is."

theories-fans-andwombats said (and I paraphrase)
"Cinder has always wanted power, and though she wants more, she has reached a point where she assumes she is more powerful than everyone she meets. Cinder assumes that because she has power (and is in league with Salem), she has the control in almost every situation. She never really considers that other people will use their own ingenuity to trick or manipulate her.

Remember when Salem tells her, "Never underestimate the usefulness of others"? It's not just about using other people, but seeing other peoples' strengths. When Cinder fights Neo, she puts an end to the fight by showing her Maiden abilities. It's a show of force meant to scare Neo into submission and work in Cinder's favor towards making a deal to go after Ruby. It ends the fight, but Cinder never considers the fact that Neo is smart and adaptable. She never considers the fact that just because Neo has agreed to go after Ruby, it doesn't mean she has forgiven or forgotten Cinder's part in Roman's death."

(This is my stuff)
I think this also covers effectively why Cinder's not as subtle and skillful as she seemed at Beacon; even back int he old days it was clear she used violence and intimidation to get Roman and Adam on-board initially, though she struck gold with Adam and possibly Merc being the only people as petty and murderous as she herself is. But she operated with some fear and restraint because she wasn't the strongest entity in the city and even then we see she relishes when she can take the chance to hold power over others (her attack on the CCT) and the moment she gets the power she needs, does she retreat, use Emerald to help her fight? Nope, she goes all in on a massive display of raw power to win and then decides to relish in her victory.

Cinder's always wanted power and I am suddenly reminded of Adora from the new She-Ra when early in the series she forgoes strategy to just brute force things, not because she's dumb but because she grew up feeling powerless and is now so strong she feels she doesn't need to plan. She gets over this to varying degrees and subtly as time goes on. Cinder though is different, she's desperate to be able to just brute force everything because that is what she wants out of life, enough power that she doesn't need to reason, to argue, to fear, and she has enough that she can delude herself into thinking she's already there and her pride won't let her 'retreat' or 'go back'.

Which, to be fair, was definitely a criticism that could be leveled at parts of early RWBY.

The Funny thing is, I remember the early cirticisms being more that the show wasn't enough of a vehicle for fights.

TBF, people often don't know what they want or how they imagine it will be delivered. Monty Oum was known for his youtube beat'm up fight videos. And the trailers had been exceedingly sparse on story.

As a fair number of people have pointed out, Blake's Haircut is now basically the "Bisexual Girl's Haircut" a number of fictional characters have like Season 4 Korra and Max Caulfield.

Weiss's hair got fucking volume.

Back