RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
OP animation shown as ED: Unfortunately, I couldn't make out half of the lyrics to the song so I couldn't tell whether or not the message was "Our backs are to the wall, and now we're going to break your face to turn the tables," or "Our backs are to the wall; wow, we're totally fragged here."
Yeah, the lyrics were incredibly hard to hear at times, but I think it was mostly the second one in the first half, with lines like "Things looking bleak, and they're about to get worse" and "Helpless, I'm doomed and there's no way to win", but about halfway through it's about how they will keep fighting and win despite everything (the final line is "We'll be the ones to touch the sun, triumph will be ours"), so kinda both I guess?

I did a double take at Yang still being too young to drink before remembering how it was 21 and not 18 in Americaland.

Holy cow the Kickstarter for Combat Ready has already reached the next Stretch Goal! Has it even been 24 hours since we hit the last one? And there was 25k difference between the Stretch Goals instead of the 10k that we had in the beginning! At this rate we might actually reach the final goal. `:eek::o

Those Add Ons really seem to have sped things up. Guess it really helps to give people who have already Pledged a way to Pledge just a little bit more while actually getting something out of it. Also speaking of Combat Ready: Every major update so far has had a Lisa Lavender style story where the lore for the game is apparently an attack on Beacon. Breaking news, Adam Taurus was in on the attack. Cinder was just discovered to be involved, etc. Which makes me wonder, if they're planning to add another major villain to fill out the set and give us a nice even team of 4 major villains to fight against, maybe they're going to stick with major antagonists that were actually involved in the attack on Beacon in canon. In that case there's only one major piece left:

Man that would be really awesome. It could be a really OP final boss type villain that you only fight when you've really mastered the game and need a real challenge. Its cards/special abilities could be based around spamming Grimm like crazy when its in play.

Its the small touches that really stand out sometimes. I love the way Leo's robe/cape thing moves when he's walking around. It just looks good, both fashion wise and from a animation standpoint, they really nailed that part.

That was a very cute blink-and-miss-it moment. :)
Also is it just me or does that pink haired girl in the background look kind of similar to Arslan?

Finally, someplace where the alleged fandom has the reaction of "I am looking forward to watching the show!"

I love this show the way a parent loves a disipointing child. I love it for what is is, and hope it is better. When it succeeds and as it gets better I'm both proud and happy. When it fails or contradicts itself every few minutes, I try and forgive and hope it gets better.

I like this show, hell I love this show. I just express it via constant bitching.

So, it's out for First members, but when do the rest of us get to see it? I've seen places saying a week, others saying just a day, and everything in between. What's the actual delay?

So, it's out for First members, but when do the rest of us get to see it? I've seen places saying a week, others saying just a day, and everything in between. What's the actual delay?

I believe crunchyroll gets it the day after. But it's locked behind the services early view paywall.

Last edited:

I believe crunchyroll gets it the dauly after. But it's locked behind the services early view paywall.

According to Crunchyroll here it's available on VRV today but won't be on CR until next Saturday.

Tuesday on the site for free members, next week for youtube.

These are, AFAIK, correct. Tuesday's also the day that the aftershow thing with CRWBY airs, so it makes sense that the free members would get to watch the show before that thing goes up and talks about all the spoilers.

Rooster Teeth First members also get the "Behind the Scenes" show with the animators and stuff. (It's not a big deal or anything, but kind of a nice bonus.)
One nice touch I'd forgotten from the episode until someone mentioned it on the subreddit was that when Leo mentioned that Cinder, Merc, and Emmy had gotten into Haven with false transcripts and records (presumably a lie, since Leo's working for Watts), Jaune gritted his teeth and clenched his fist. Possibly he was just frustrated at the dead end, but given how Jaune got into Beacon, it's almost like his own history came back to bite him in the behind. There were a lot of nice touches like that in this episode overall, and it speaks well of M&K's writing on the fine-detail level.

Last edited:
According to Crunchyroll here it's available on VRV today but won't be on CR until next Saturday.
It's available on VRV today if you subscribe to Rooster Teeth on VRV ($4.99/month, similar to RT FIRST, 7 day free trial). Or subscribe to the VRV combo pack, which includes Rooster Teeth as well as Crunchyroll Premium and other services ($9.99/month, 30 day free trial).

If you're a VRV subscriber, you can catch the first episode here: VRV - Watch RWBY: EP 1 - Volume 5, Chapter 1: Welcome to Haven

These are, AFAIK, correct. Tuesday's also the day that the aftershow thing with CRWBY airs, so it makes sense that the free members would get to watch the show before that thing goes up and talks about all the spoilers.

Rooster Teeth First members also get the "Behind the Scenes" show with the animators and stuff. (It's not a big deal or anything, but kind of a nice bonus.)
Yeah, the two RWBY-related side shows are:
  • CRWBY: Behind the Episode - "Have you ever wondered how RWBY is made? Each week, CRWBY: Behind the Episode will give you a peek at the magic, highlight the animation process, and introduce you to the animators, engineers, producers, and artists who work tirelessly to bring the World of Remnant to life."
  • RWBY Rewind - "Love RWBY? So do we! Join us live as we dork out on the latest RWBY episode, interview the cast and crew who make it happen, and end with the very first sneak peek of the next week's RWBY episode!"
Both are entirely FIRST exclusive.

Last edited:

Campaign Update #11 - The Villain Booster Pack is Unlocked!

Good morning!

We're just over halfway through the RWBY: Combat Ready Kickstarter campaign and some amazing things have happened. Adam and Cinder were added as Villains, Neopolitan became a sub-boss Objective Deck included for Backers, components were upgraded left and right, miniatures for the RWBY Heroines, and an Add-On for the Villain Miniatures!

Not to stop there, we've unlocked the Villain 30-card Booster Pack stretch goal. This pack includes 10 additional cards for each Villain (Roman Torchwick, Adam Taurus, and Cinder Fall), adding 30 total cards. These cards represent exciting new attacks and actions that players will have to build a strategy against to achieve victory! It'll be INCLUDED for all backers of RWBY: Combat Ready. Aww yes!
One one hand wooo stretch goal unlocked. On the other hand damn, this seems to confirm that there will only be 3 main villains.

I love this show the way a parent loves a disipointing child. I love it for what is is, and hope it is better. When it succeeds and as it gets better I'm both proud and happy. When it fails or contradicts itself every few minutes, I try and forgive and hope it gets better.

It's honestly more like loving your child's crayon drawing because they're four years old and the quality for a four year old's art is totally different from what you'd expect from an adult.

Of course, there in lays some of the Criticism of RWBY. It's all about managed expectations. Namely, this is a series which has had blu-ray releases, soundtracks, etc . . . Basically things that you expect from a studio a lot bigger than Rooster Teeth was when they started the project.

Honestly, I don't think the show would have been able to survive to this point without fan hype and that magical ability for people to like something that is, critically speaking, not very good.

Edit :

So, two things that are on my mind right now, and they both have to do with Headmasters.

First, why is Lionheart siding with the Villains? Given what we see of his character and what was alluded to in the episode, I suspect he's not a willing accomplice. It seems likely that his cooperation was bought in exchange for Mistrals precarious safety. Which would play well into the themes of the bad guys attempting to break up trust and cohesion between the Kingdoms so that they can be picked off one by one.

Second. At first I thought that Ozpin's ghosting was a result of how he had been slain or otherwise neutralized. The way Ozpin/Oscar is shaping up now, I'm beginning to think his semblance has something do with time manipulation.

Ozpin the Headmaster and Oscar Pine are the same person, and always have been the same person, their semblance somehow permitting the paradox of them both existing simultaneously.

Last edited:
Of course, there in lays some of the Criticism of RWBY. It's all about managed expectations. Namely, this is a series which has had blu-ray releases, soundtracks, etc . . . Basically things that you expect from a studio a lot bigger than Rooster Teeth was when they started the project.

Honestly, I don't think the show would have been able to survive to this point without fan hype and that magical ability for people to like something that is, critically speaking, not very good.

It's also noteworthy that RWBY V1 and V5 simply aren't the same show any more.

V1, let's face it, you showed up and watched it because either (1) you liked Rooster Teeth, or (2) you liked Monty Oum. You were there for the kickass music and the exceptional fight choreography, and everything else was gravy. Maybe once you were there you got interested in the interesting character designs or the potential in the world. You probably didn't care too much about the generic-y shonen anime plot (unless you were of an age group to be grabbed by generic-y shonen anime plots), and you were willing to swallow the inexperience of the VAs, the roughness of the noncombat animation, and the choppy parts everywhere that told you it was a show being made by a limited team on a shoestring budget.

Every season since then has made significant leaps forward on a technical level. However, Monty's death meant that the action scenes from V3 onwards lacked his signature blend of awesome. I'm not saying that V3-4 fights, etc., were necessarily bad, per se, but the quality of in-scene storytelling, the sense of physics, and the ability of these scenes to enthrall on their own merits has become a lot more spotty.

If you're still around, you're still watching and enjoying RWBY, then you like RWBY not for its potential--what it could be when it grows up--but for what it is now. You like it as a show. If Cinder does a derp-run over the roofs in V5 the way she did in V2, you're not snickering over it and making jokes about how that must have been animated five minutes before the episode aired, you're upset with the lack of finish. If you think Weiss's storyline was hamfisted or Yang's shorted, you're genuinely annoyed that they didn't write those better because you care about these characters and they're why you're watching. Potential is no longer enough. (And if you happen to be a new fan getting on board just now, well, the fact that RT and RWBY are what they are now makes it hard to put yourself into the "ooooh, this looks exciting, and if they keep working it could be so good!" mindset.)

I liked the Team RWBY stuff from V1, and the setting and hints of plot myself, even if there was some stuff I could critique or wanted more of.

Well yes, I openly admit the show has improved drastically and I am delighted by that. My point is that it only got the breathing room to develop and succeed due to its nerd cred.

A valid point. Monty Oum + RT = indie nerd cred and a willingness to overlook the weaknesses in favor of the strengths where a completely blank-slate project might not have gotten that benefit of the doubt.

Well yes, I openly admit the show has improved drastically and I am delighted by that. My point is that it only got the breathing room to develop and succeed due to its nerd cred.

I agree.

RWBY's main gimmick initially was that it had Monty Oum at the helm who could make epic fights. However, by season 4 it's beginning to stand out as it's own piece of art and literature with stronger writing and character development in addition to steadily improving fight choreography as the team shows that it could honor Monty's talent in choreography.

I personally didn't really like season 3 because of it's "meh" fight choreography, but it's story was pretty good. The fight choreography can be forgiven because it's clear that the team struggled with the sudden death of Monty (this cannot be understated) and the loss of his talent that really more or less kept the series afloat. But honestly I think the events of season 4 also parallel the RWBY team's recovery from the death of Monty and how they have managed to come out stronger and better to make the series great and honor Monty's dream. And I think that's awesome.

EDIT: Also Weiss has become a Stand user. And for that I am most pleased.

STANDO DA!!!!

I'm still waiting for the Bloodborne reference with Jaune. They totally missed that with the "sword that turns into a bigger sword" trope.

Last edited:
RWBY's main gimmick initially was that it had Monty Oum at the helm who could make epic fights. However, by season 4 it's beginning to stand out as it's own piece of art and literature with stronger writing and character development in addition to steadily improving fight choreography as the team shows that it could honor Monty's talent in choreography.

In retrospect, the school setting actually makes a bit more sense. The first two volumes were cringe worthy, but from a meta perspective, just like the characters, the plot had yet to take on real consequence. So they can safely be skipped by future viewers as the part of the track that gave RWBY its running start.*

I still think, even with the really awkward episode length and budget limitations, that the order of plots was way out of whack. JNPR and Penny shouldn't have been properly introduced until season 2 while season 1 should have been far more zeroed in on RWBY. It would have gone a long way to better meeting expectation for the first season.

It would also have helped to reduce the whole 'all according to Keikaku' complaints that developed due to season 2's big villain plot that went nowhere. Since the second season could simply dedicated screen time and plot to developing the deutoroginist team and making Penny** likable before her incredibly violent dimsantling. :)

* I would almost like to see RT do a couple of . . . what they are called . . . y'know when they do like a comicbook using flash to give the impression of movement and add in character voices and narrations . . . animatics? That basically give the important gist of volumes 1 and 2 as a sort of convenient prologue alternative to actually watching those seasons.

** Not that Penny wasn't likeable. By far the best girl despite her pretty hamfisted first appearance. But I think introducing her in season 1 was really adding more stuff than needed to be there. The Blake subplot would have made a more than adequate season finale on its own.

Last edited:
I still think, even with the really awkward episode length and budget limitations, that the order of plots was way out of whack. JNPR and Penny shouldn't have been properly introduced until season 2 while season 1 should have been far more zeroed in on RWBY. It would have gone a long way to better meeting expectation for the first season.

Yeah, I do recall that a lot of people complained that Jaune tended to take up a lot of screentime in the first season with his bully subplot. I honestly didn't really care for him in the first season and I still feel like his development is lacking even in season 4.

I agree though. Season 1 should have been completely about team RWBY and them coming together.

Yeah, I do recall that a lot of people complained that Jaune tended to take up a lot of screentime in the first season with his bully subplot. I honestly didn't really care for him in the first season and I still feel like his development is lacking even in season 4.

Jaun has grown on me with time. I don't really have a problem with his generic protagonist-ness. Also, in a world where everyone has absurd combi-weapons. The guy who has a plane old sword and shield is refreshing.

After mostly catching up. I think RWBY would have been helped by some more filler in the first couple of seasons. It really did feel rushed in terms of pushing the plot. I think it needed the occasional episode of cute girls doing cute things like the foodfight episode.

Back