RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
Ya gotta wonder
if CC doe manage to get out of Ever After and into Remnant with RWBY+J hot on it's heels, how will their friends react when Ruby and Jaune tell them that they inadvertently just released a story book character they grew up with and this character has taken possession of one of their most dangerous enemies and has a beef with the Gods just like Salem?
Willow: "Oh dear you drank the cactus juice, didn't you?"

I'm just gonna say we really shouldn't get ourselves in a twist over either the fans being toxic or Moistcirticals rather dumb take on it. For the latter, yeah it was dumb but I'm convinced that Youtube is so dominated by RWBY critics that you won't find many big names who actually like it, and I don't give a crap. RWBY's got a 4.6/5.0 on Crunchyroll, it's newest comic adaptation is apparently a really popular comic on Amazon, it's got anime, manga and video games. It's a popular series, I don't need people like Moist to like RWBY.

And yeah RWBY fans getting toxic to Moist is shit and I hope no one here does it. But All Fandoms have toxic people, RWBY has a somewhat uncommon problem in that both it's fanbase and it's critics have toxic elements, and there is a lot that can be said about some of the really vile shit people from r/RWBYcritics have done or said to fans of the show.

but I'm convinced that Youtube is so dominated by RWBY critics that you won't find many big names who actually like it,
I mostly watch reactions to the series when RWBY comes up. Seeing people enjoy it and think about it as it happens is fun, especially their basic theory-crafting and reactions each time they get to the big set piece events. The more they pay attention and remember previous events the better the reactions get.

The only RWBY content I see on Youtube is out-of-context clips after episodes come out (that can be strung together into a reasonable episode pastiche after a couple days), and Crumbling Cube. And not so much the latter anymore.

I'm just gonna say we really shouldn't get ourselves in a twist over either the fans being toxic or Moistcirticals rather dumb take on it. For the latter, yeah it was dumb but I'm convinced that Youtube is so dominated by RWBY critics that you won't find many big names who actually like it, and I don't give a crap. RWBY's got a 4.6/5.0 on Crunchyroll, it's newest comic adaptation is apparently a really popular comic on Amazon, it's got anime, manga and video games. It's a popular series, I don't need people like Moist to like RWBY.

And yeah RWBY fans getting toxic to Moist is shit and I hope no one here does it. But All Fandoms have toxic people, RWBY has a somewhat uncommon problem in that both it's fanbase and it's critics have toxic elements, and there is a lot that can be said about some of the really vile shit people from r/RWBYcritics have done or said to fans of the show.

At least the critics are not known in other parts of the internet as the people sending death threats over RWBY. I dont know, i think the whole death threats thing really overshadows anything the "critics" have done. The critics have, funnily enough also done less damage to the reputation of RWBY than many of its fans. Its always funny to me when parts of the RWBY fandom complain about critics while... Sending death threats...

Last edited:
At least the critics are not known in other parts of the internet as the people sending death threats over RWBY. I dont know, i think the whole death threats thing really overshadows anything the "critics" have done. The critics have, funnily enough also done less damage to the reputation of RWBY than many of its fans.
I am very doubtful of that claim because I've seen quite a few horror stories on Tumblr about things r/RWBYcritics have said and done. and painful experience in other communities has shown me hatedoms are generally more toxic then fandoms.

I am very doubtful of that claim because I've seen quite a few horror stories on Tumblr about things r/RWBYcritics have said and done. and painful experience in other communities has shown me hatedoms are generally more toxic then fandoms.

I think stories dont exactly compare to... Actual documented death threats, with pictures. Especially with just how much stuff people make up about the subreddit. I think my favourite was like a week ago, someone said that RWBYcritics has a massive overlap with r/conservative. In reality, the critics sub has more overlap with r/democrats (30 times bigger overlap) and r/RWBY has a bigger overlap with r/conservative.

So yeah. Stories i think matter little next to... Actually documented events. Events that people even outside the fandom know.

And hey, i will be completely honest here. You bring me pictures of people from the sub actually engaging in bad behaviour? Bigotry etc? They will be banned. But every time i asked people that. They never showed me anything. Its really weird.

Last edited:
r/RWBY... has a larger overlap with... r/conservative...? I think my brain is breaking.

That doesn't make any sense to me lol, how is that possibly accurate? The creatures that inhabit that hive of scum and villainy are literally the last tribe of people I would expect to like RWBY, let alone ever decide to give it a watch. It's... it seems almost anathema to their twisted world views and self delusions.

Am I going crazy?

Rule 4: Don’t Be Disruptive, or, "Please refrain from violating the thread rules. It is inherently disruptive to bring up the activities of a user off-site."
Examples? Well, there's the member of Rwbycritics that goes around accusing fans of being in a cult of personality for disagreeing with him, stalking them across multiple sites while claiming they're the victims of harrassment.

Rule 4: Don’t Be Disruptive
Examples? Well, there's the member of Rwbycritics that goes around accusing fans of being in a cult of personality for disagreeing with him, stalking them across multiple sites while claiming they're the victims of harrassment.

Is that the same person that some parts of the fandom tried to frame as sending Reddit self-help messages? Knowing that they are lying and trying to get that persons account banned through lying? That person? Man, if your best "example" is someone who you tried to frame for doing something they didnt do, to get their account banned, you really are scraping the bottom of the barrel. The same person whose posts you posted on tumblr, without censoring usernames, fully knowing and intending to send people to that person to report and harass them?

Last edited:
r/RWBY... has a larger overlap with... r/conservative...? I think my brain is breaking.

That doesn't make any sense to me lol, how is that possibly accurate? The creatures that inhabit that hive of scum and villainy are literally the last tribe of people I would expect to like RWBY, let alone ever decide to give it a watch. It's... it seems almost anathema to their twisted world views and self delusions.

Am I going crazy?

Nope you are not. Just went and checked subredditstats.com, and both subreddits share less than 1% of subscribers. Can't post pics at the moment, but anyone is free to check.

As I said, constantly claiming they're the victim of harrassment. Right up to viewing anything involving them as 'attempts to frame' or send people after them.

Stop: Welp
welp
I suppose this is happening. Okay, so real quick:

Two users have been banned from the thread due to a violation of the thread policy. One for a week, and the other permanently due to repeated instances of poor behavior in the thread. Both for the same reason.

So. Just a not so gentle reminder to keep the thread rules in mind. Talking about a streamer and their comments on RWBY? Fine.

Talking about RWBY critics and the like in a generalized tone? Generally odd and likely to get some side glances, but ultimately fine with the caveat that you don't make it a bashing session and instead discuss their effects on the fandom and community as a whole.

Talking about specific places where these critics exist? Something that I would advise against because it's very repeatedly shown that it turns to talking about specific people and subsequently talking shit about them, but a very edge of the line thing that's acceptable provided you handle the topic with more nuance than 'man that place is crap and everyone that visits it is crap.'

Outright targeting users on the site that also happen to use SV? Which would very easily invite brigading and everyone jumping on those specific users? And using SV as a soapbox or as a way to highlight a specific person to harass/target/whatever the case? Big no.

Now, in saying this, Thankfully it hasn't gotten to that point as far as I'm aware. But still, this is a general and not so friendly reminder not to cross the line.

So yeah. Clean up the discourse folks. And again, stop treating those that you disagree with like an enemy or a troll.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back