RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say weird, I predicted that there would be a lot of people who want that.

As far as villains go Neo has been entirely motivated by wanting revenge for Torchwick, which is why I think it's really interesting how she handles it. But her backstory is pretty sad, so yeah, if we can have Cinder stans, Neo stans are understandable.

Plus she has the whole 'Harley Quinn" vibe going for her. Which a lot of people are on board for.

Am I weird for wanting Neo to be redeemed?
There are very few characters (Adam, Tyrian for example) for who I think it would be weird to want a Redemption for them. I can even understand wanting a redemption for Cinder considering her situation.

And Considering what Neo is gone through recently, I totally get it

Now I don't think she'll get one because characters who got that sort of thing like Emerald and Ilia, had misgivings about what they were doing and were looking for a way out. Neo is not really either of those things.

I've been thinking that it's been a while since we had one of the heroes evolve their semblance. That doesn't need to be a once an episode event of course. It should be important to their development. Is there a member of team rwby you think is due their big moment?

I would say Yang. Super Saiyan ... 2! Her themeing comes with built in power up potential. Have her get into a big fight and charge all the way up. But she keeps her charged meter in reserve and Jaune casts curaga on her.

So she goes back in the fight and gets damaged some more. Further charging up. Hair glows white hot for a bit. Then blue.

I realize I said evolve their semblance then described a team synergy. Whoopsie 🤷‍♂️

I'm not going to needle you on it or call you weird, but there's no way I could agree with that sentiment. I just need Neo to go away and not come back, personally.

Thank you and fair enough, wan interested in seeing peoples thoughts on the matter.

Btw anyone know when Ice Queendom comes out to Blu-Ray/DVD?

For me
Even if Neo is saved from The Cat, I don't think she'll return to Remnant.
There is nothing left for her. There is no Roman. She got her "revenge" on Red and it left her empty.
So, why not stay in Ever After? Find a new purpose.

Wanting a charismatic and sympathetic character to get a redemption arc is far from unusual.

I just wouldn't put money on Neo, as she exists now, getting one. I suspect the Cat is gonna do something twisted to her.

For me
There is nothing left for her. There is no Roman. She got her "revenge" on Red and it left her empty.
Hmm..
Revenge on Salem, who sent the Griffin that ate Roman, who used her as well?

Episode 9
Since the opening of V9 seems to lay out the path we take this volume (beach - town - castle - forest, etc)
I think I know what will be the focus of Episode 9 this saturday.

"This is the story of a girl, who had a lot of problems."
other parts of this section with a copy of "The Girl Who Fell Through The World" are the Jabberwalker and that the book is burning.

You'd have to start a lot earlier in the series than where we're at now.
I realize I said evolve their semblance then described a team synergy. Whoopsie 🤷‍♂️
For Yang trusting everyone around her more so they can help boost her too could be an interesting way for things to go.
For me
If she stays I expect it to be part of a big shakeup in the status quo of the place.

For me
That makes a lot of sense, though...
I agree with the notion that she had crossed a line with the whole gaslighting Ruby into drinking thing, even with whatever potential net positives she'll get out of it.

So perhaps it'd be a karmic purpose for her: making her the new Curious Cat and be cursed to live on the land with an insatiable thirst, becomes a Jabberwalker, or perhaps the long awaited Queen of Hearts. That or the new Alyx if the show revealed that she got her some karmic retribution in the next two episodes and not "she turned into the Blacksmith or Little".

I've been thinking that it's been a while since we had one of the heroes evolve their semblance. That doesn't need to be a once an episode event of course. It should be important to their development. Is there a member of team rwby you think is due their big moment?

I would say Yang. Super Saiyan ... 2! Her themeing comes with built in power up potential. Have her get into a big fight and charge all the way up. But she keeps her charged meter in reserve and Jaune casts curaga on her.

So she goes back in the fight and gets damaged some more. Further charging up. Hair glows white hot for a bit. Then blue.

I fully expect Yang to not be very happy to see Neo Cat. I had wanted a no holds barred beat down by Ruby but if Yang gets ahold of her? Blake may the only one to pull from the brink. Though thinking about it that could be a bit too Adam and Yang promised she'd never cross that line.

I fully expect Yang to not be very happy to see Neo Cat. I had wanted a no holds barred beat down by Ruby but if Yang gets ahold of her? Blake may the only one to pull from the brink. Though thinking about it that could be a bit too Adam and Yang promised she'd never cross that line.
I could see Yang getting that angry but Blake calling her name gets her to look back and see she's scaring her, which is enough to get her to stop.

Not really.

She's a sub-boss who's motivations for being on team evil resonate with people (avenging a loved one killed by the hero), and isn't shown to be pointlessly sadistic outside her job (Tyrian).

She's been involved in less horrible things than the last person to get redeemed (Emerald was involved 3 kingdoms (the fall of beacon, the attempted fall of Haven and only had her face turn after Atlas was already lost, Neo was only involved in 2 (Atlas and Beacon)).

She's obviously been hurting for a long time, and people don't really care about background characters (see Bakugo being considered worse than Stain) so although she's hurt a lot of people, the only person who registers with the audience is Ruby who she has the vendetta against.

But most importantly, she's fun and entertaining and you want to see more of her, and the only way she lives for longer is a face turn so be it.

She's been involved in less horrible things than the last person to get redeemed (Emerald was involved 3 kingdoms (the fall of beacon, the attempted fall of Haven and only had her face turn after Atlas was already lost, Neo was only involved in 2 (Atlas and Beacon)).
She also hasn't been responsible for the death of any beloved named characters (well, until now, maybe), unlike Emerald who was directly responsible for Penny's death way back in Volume 3.

Personally I'd be okay with a redemption arc for Neo, though I'm not confident she'll get one. She's always had a certain flair to her that I find fun to watch. Ever since her return in V6 I've been hoping she'd realize Cinder was just using her and stop blaming Ruby for Torchwick's death.

It's a good thing that Neo didn't know about Summer. Because man, there would only have been one seat at the table and it would have taken a fraction of the time it did if Ruby had to listen to Mom tearing into her.

Back