RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
SO
Do we think Team Island will make it back to Team Vacuo at the end of V9
Or will that not be till sometime in V10?

Vote now!

I mean a possible way forward could be one volume focused on team island and another back in the Remnant with the last episode of each season being them reunited through their POV.

I mean a possible way forward could be one volume focused on team island and another back in the Remnant with the last episode of each season being them reunited through their POV.
Do you know how much RWDE would bitch and moan about the heroes not even being in the show for a season? I'd say we're more likely to have a few scenes about the Remnant side team during a season following RWBY+J+N+anyone else who fell off the bridges with a book or something detailing what was going on on their side, with plenty of time to exposit the politics and logistics they need to make it functional when the team in the other world comes back to face the main plot again.

I highly doubt that'd be feasible given how long it's taking to produce one of those hypothetical two volumes.

Like, let's think about this logically: Volume 9 is taking a long while to produce because there's a lot of new assets they have to build, like the Beach or Vacuo. Pooling their focus to one side of the story is only going to delay them making the other side. So they'll have to do more delays to make the hypothetical Side B.

And that isn't to bring up the sort of monetary loss they would have. RT is also trying to make money off of RWBY via the FIRST subs. Imagine, if you will, they decide to have the Beach subplot be Volume 10 or 9B and the entire ninth Volume takes place in the Vacuo/Atlas subplot. Already, you've pretty much killed the interest for those invested in knowing what happens to RWBY+J+N and rubbed salt in their wound by saying how they have to wait longer to see what they're up to. If they decide to have the Vacuo/Atlas subplot be Volume 10/9B and the audience isn't interested in that, they'll probably just skip it.

This will result in a lower count of subscriptions than if they were to have Volume 9 be about both plots. Ambitious, yes, but also extremely risky.

I highly doubt that'd be feasible given how long it's taking to produce one of those hypothetical two volumes.

Like, let's think about this logically: Volume 9 is taking a long while to produce because there's a lot of new assets they have to build, like the Beach or Vacuo. Pooling their focus to one side of the story is only going to delay them making the other side. So they'll have to do more delays to make the hypothetical Side B.

And that isn't to bring up the sort of monetary loss they would have. RT is also trying to make money off of RWBY via the FIRST subs. Imagine, if you will, they decide to have the Beach subplot be Volume 10 or 9B and the entire ninth Volume takes place in the Vacuo/Atlas subplot. Already, you've pretty much killed the interest for those invested in knowing what happens to RWBY+J+N and rubbed salt in their wound by saying how they have to wait longer to see what they're up to. If they decide to have the Vacuo/Atlas subplot be Volume 10/9B and the audience isn't interested in that, they'll probably just skip it.

This will result in a lower count of subscriptions than if they were to have Volume 9 be about both plots. Ambitious, yes, but also extremely risky.

But trying to make all the assets for both sides simultaneously takes much longer than just doing one side and using them more. I wouldn't be surprised if events in Vacuo get only briefly shown or relegated to side material and is recapped to RWBY when they catch up.

But trying to make all the assets for both sides simultaneously takes much longer than just doing one side and using them more. I wouldn't be surprised if events in Vacuo get only briefly shown or relegated to side material and is recapped to RWBY when they catch up.
Yeah, that's what I kinda fear will happen, with the Beach basically having the same logic as Old where time moves faster to justify them returning to see "oh, we just skipped over all the complications in moving all of Solitas to Vacuo".

I mean, I did theorize last year that the Vacuo Arc would be covered via the books, as we technically have "2 volumes" via the adventures of CFVY. So one more book and it will be a 3 volume set.
This way the show itself can focus more on whatever the heck it has planned for The Island.

I mean, I did theorize last year that the Vacuo Arc would be covered via the books, as we technically have "2 volumes" via the adventures of CFVY. So one more book and it will be a 3 volume set.
This way the show itself can focus more on whatever the heck it has planned for The Island.
A book would probably be a better format for that kind of political and social exploration anyways. It's a lot easier to get into nuance and have discussions when you don't need to cram everything into half hour episodes and then pay animators to make it look good.

Do you know how much RWDE would bitch and moan about the heroes not even being in the show for a season? I'd say we're more likely to have a few scenes about the Remnant side team during a season following RWBY+J+N+anyone else who fell off the bridges with a book or something detailing what was going on on their side, with plenty of time to exposit the politics and logistics they need to make it functional when the team in the other world comes back to face the main plot again.
The RWDE crew will bitch and moan no matter what RT does with Volume 9. :whistle:

And lord knows Rooster Teeth love their parasocial relationships, especially back in the day. They practically wrote the book on the subject that Critical Role's now copying word for word.

And lord knows Rooster Teeth love their parasocial relationships, especially back in the day. They practically wrote the book on the subject that Critical Role's now copying word for word.
Every content creator has a parasocial relationship with their audience. Every YouTuber, every instagram idol, every goddamn blogger has it. That's part of the whole thing where the creator is just as much a product as the content they create. RT did nothing special, nor has CR. They just create content.

But even then, RWBY has had little to do with parasocial relationships because it's not a blog, podcast, nor even a series of themed videos that end with a 'thanks to all my patrons over on Patreon.'

Last edited:
Almost as if artists should ignore the opinions of their audience and do as they will, to the extent they are financially able.
There is a certain amount of leeway that should be given to fan opinion, but when people are just being contrarian assholes there is no reason for anyone to listen to them.
Apparently they're bitter that RT did things with personality from the start and that fans found that engaging before it was a fully recognized thing, and now other popular groups seem to be doing the same thing from their perspective?

Back