RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
So I decided to finally watch this show.

20 minutes into the first episode and I've already spent half the time cringing.

For what it's worth, the show does indeed get better and thus far the animation quality has improved with each season.

I am however gonna be honest.

RWBY is one of those things you either don't like or like in spite of it not being very good. Personally I'm a fan, worts and all, but I honestly think a lot of fans are in denial over why they like this show, which is that it was a labor of love by Monty Oum.

I actually mostly like the show for its soundtrack at this point. Not that I overly dislike any other element (Or I'd just download the tracks somewhere and not bother watching it), but the music is the one thing that's been consistently excellent since the start.

So. I'm about 53 minutes in, a scorpion has just been pwnt, vocals are starting up, and I have come to the conclusion that Nora is far and away best girl.

Case in point.

I actually mostly like the show for its soundtrack at this point. Not that I overly dislike any other element (Or I'd just download the tracks somewhere and not bother watching it), but the music is the one thing that's been consistently excellent since the start.
I'm just gonna go ahead and agree with this basic sentiment. I mean, the fighting's good and the story's okay when the plot's not dragging, but the thing that initially caught my attention about this series was the trailers and the music in them.

So far, the vocal tracks have mostly been used very sparsely as the climax to the few big boss fight scenes and, to RT's credit, it's worked very well. I honestly think they could stand to be used more often, though.

I believe 'Thirsty' is the new fan way of talking about characters in unrequited love. I don't know, I just like what I like and don't stress too much following these new fangled fandom terms. (I didn't even know what 'shipping' was until a year after the term had entered common parlance :oops:). So I believe it's a reference to Pyrra.
The term 'thirsty' has actually been around for awhile longer than that, though in all frankness I've rarely seen it used in a friendly manner if that makes sense.

Edit : Also y'know, making Weiss slightly less bitchy to Jaun and more calmly aloof in regards to Jaun himself.
I really don't see how Weiss was "bitchy" at this point its clear she's refused his request multiple times by the point we actually see him ask and he has refused to listen to her requests, being angry feels perfectly justified to me.

I really don't see how Weiss was "bitchy" at this point its clear she's refused his request multiple times by the point we actually see him ask and he has refused to listen to her requests, being angry feels perfectly justified to me.

Honestly I was going off of faulty memory and Salty's description of events. As you describe it Jaun is being a creeper and needs to stop. -_-

So I decided to finally watch this show.

20 minutes into the first episode and I've already spent half the time cringing.
RWBY is (or was :() fundamentally a guy with mad machinima action choreography skillz pairing up with the most notable machinima studio to make an original show full of tropey stuff and it shows. On the one hand, trying to compare it to an actual TV show with an actual TV budget is unfair given what it has to work with, but on the other hand, if the show quality is lacking its lacking no matter how good its excuses are.

You know, it's funny, but I don't actually particularly dislike Jaune as a character.

It's just that he's:

A: a vehicle for the worst fucking plots
and
B: Shoved into way more screen time than a character who's ostensibly part of the main cast

And that keeps annoying me. I actually enjoy the scenes he's in when the focus isn't on him.
I think that's basically everyone's reaction to him.

Last edited:
I guess I must be a member of the fandom now.

Upon learning the names of Ruby/Yang's family, I immediately came up with Team STRQ (pronounced 'stark')

Nothing's been said about who the leader was AFAICR.

I guess I must be a member of the fandom now.

Upon learning the names of Ruby/Yang's family, I immediately came up with Team STRQ (pronounced 'stark')

I am 99% sure it's going to be QRTS ("quartz"). Just because of the parallel with RWBY.

Maybe if it was a "leadership given to who will learn the most from the experience, not the most worthy" type deal.

You know, it's funny, but I don't actually particularly dislike Jaune as a character.

It's just that he's:

A: a vehicle for the worst fucking plots
and
B: Shoved into way more screen time than a character who's ostensibly part of the main cast

And that keeps annoying me. I actually enjoy the scenes he's in when the focus isn't on him.
So much this. Also, Pyrrha is my favourite character and she keps getting wasted.e

You know, it's kinda funny that you all think that about Jaune. Because back when I was binging the first volume the Jaunedice arc was the only part which I felt really taken by the characters. Especially Jaune, despite the fact I didn't like him before that.

I started warming up to the RWBY team on Volume 2 but before that they were just meh to me. I even liked the school staff more than them.

Which makes the fact I also found him annoying on Weiss weird.

Maybe it's because Jaunedice focused more on his desire not to be such a loser?

Last edited:
You know, it's kinda funny that you all think that about Jaune. Because back when I was binging the first volume the Jaunedice arc was the only part which I felt really taken by the characters. Especially Jaune, despite the fact I didn't like him before that.

I started warming up to the RWBY team on Volume 2 but before that they were just meh to me. I even liked the school staff more than them.

Which makes the fact I also found him annoying on Weiss weird.

Maybe it's because Jaunedice focused more on his desire not to be such a loser?
Yeah, I don't mind Jaune simply because I identify with him the most of the main cast. Which doesn't mean I think he's completely awesome or not overexposed, but more that I'm a terrible person and I like that aspect of Jaune :V. I dunno.

At this point, I think I like Jaune more for what he could be, rather than what he actually is, especially since I've been delving more into fanfics centered around him. Honestly, Jaune's biggest flaw so far is that his character type works best when used as the protagonist, which gets in the way of RWBY's actual protagonists.

At this point, I think I like Jaune more for what he could be, rather than what he actually is,.

Yeah, I think much the same. Makes me wish RT would focus more on his tactical brilliance and had him train that planning side of his, rather than the whole thing about him being an awkward nerd.

They could go that route honestly, have him doing in class like usual and suddenly given a situation. He panics, blurts something out quickly, and is actually right. I don't want like superhuman levels but it could be something. I doubt it though as Jaune has not yet been shown to think on his feet well.

Winter is a good sister! Weiss just wants to bask in her presence so cute.
In Ironwood Atlas, the Huntsmen and Huntresses ARE the army!
Fake Aristocrat!Ruby is a gift we should all appreciate.

Qrow v Winter holy shitballs my eyes exploded from sheer awesome.
"Some crazy person just attacked my sister!"
"Oh my god, who would do such a- THAT'S MY UNCLE!"
Lol Ruby vs Weiss cheerleading
-Yang's semblance came from the Branwen side???
-->If Taiyang was still very depressed during her childhood, I think Yang might take after Qrow more than Taiyang in terms of personality. Flirt-taunt with weaker enemy? Check. Evil smile when they hit you for powerup? Check. Casual destruction of other people's property? Check.
-when does team RWBY get to that level TIMESKIP WHEN????
-QROW SCYTHE-FORM WHEN????

Glynda is the janitor I s2g.

Qrow you useless alcoholic, check in regularly and this won't be a problem. The snark is on point, the smarm overwhelming! His voice seriously reminds me of Geralt. Surprised to see Glynda defending the alcoholism though. Maybe she just gave up after a while.

Ironwood wtf man you shoot your own soldiers for misconduct? o_O

Winter has no idea what's going on. But maybe she can puzzle together the big picture at some point. Qrow's dickish dismissal of her is making prime material for Cinder to subvert imo.

FUCKING CONSPIRACIES EVERYWHERE!
-Big threat only Ozpin's shadow cabal is handling, wtf is going on
-Cinder is indeed "rigging" the fights so her candidates progress
-Did she just get access to Ozpin's office computer? `:eek:
-Merc's dad is an alcoholic, and he's seen Qrow before

Predict: Emerald and Mercury are going to throw this next fight to attract less attention, but no one will notice because Coco+Yatsuhashi blow up the entire arena
Predict: Raven is also working for Ozpin, and Qrow knows what she's doing.

Back