RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
Monty Oum

Previz, JTL - My Lecon
Song: JTL - My Lecon

I've spend the last 12 or so years building movies in my head. Mostly to music. This is one I've had for a long time. I post this because chances are pretty slim of it actually happening. Not to say i've given up. I have plenty more in stock. But this here is an early previz of a portion of a sequence I'd made several years ago. You might recognize some animation of *cough a pair of shotgun nunchucks. The person punching may or may not have been planned to have shotgun gauntlets. The girl who could clone herself may or may not have influenced a certain cat character in some ways.

It's not particularly sad for me to give up on one image for the 10 I've developed in my head in it's place. But hell check it out and perhaps it'll inform you a little more about how I think when making a sequence.

I've always considered myself more a dancer than a fighter. And when I choreograph a sequence rhythm plays a big part. I hope to more work like this in the future. But in the meantime, enjoy something I've given up on.

One of the particular reason I never see this happening is the troubling logic that ownership of music doesn't allow for inspired expression of how you enjoy it. Dance, one of the oldest forms of art in the history of humanity, has no place in media without the tremendous amount of work that it takes to obtain the ability to be allowed to enjoy it publicly. I have little hope to achieve the rights to this song. I absolutely understand the need for musicians to protect themselves. But there has to be some place for performers to be able to use it artistically.

Anyhoo, this piece at least makes it's way spiritually into the work I do now. Seeing as I literally take the animation and throw it right into some of my sequences. That being said, I wish I could've gotten to really perform to the rest of the song right where I left of. It was just getting really good too...

The most important thing to me was being able to match the rhythm in a form of lyrical hip hop. And it's my hope to someday coin the notion of "Action Musicals"

That line about "Action Musicals" makes me think of the Cracked episode where two of the guys discuss their movie preferences and one of them concludes that Musicals and Kung Fu movies are basically the same thing. `:D

I'm just going to say the Neo's fight scene was honestly the first in this series that really wowed me. It wasn't flashy, although it was very ornate, nor was it full of special attacks that filled the screen with explosions.

Just a very tiny woman delivering a beat down. I still love the fact that she's short next to Yang even in heels. :D

Last edited:
I'm just going to say the Neo's fight scene was honestly the first in this series that really wowed me. It wasn't flashy, although it was very ornate, nor was it full of special attacks that filled the screen with explosions.

Just a very tiny woman delivering a beat down. I still love the fact that she's short next to Yang even in heels. :D
I think Pyrrha's fight is a close contender, but hers is such a curb stomp it loses a bit of the punch--CRDL is never a threat to her. Whereas Yang and Neo's fight doesn't really diminish Yang's capabilities, but instead speaks volumes about how good Neo is and how unsuited Yang is to fighting such an opponent. Or in other words, Yang doesn't suck like CRDL does, but is mismatched and countered.

SO. MUCH. CLIFFHANGER.

What we got was solid fun. And I'm loving all the characters' little moments in the spotlight.

But it looks like all the little plot threads we expected to be in this Volume have been pushed off to Volume III. Hopefully it gives them all more room to breathe, especially since they got a lot of character development out of the way this season instead.

But yeah, this felt more like a mid-season finale rather than a true climax. Still stoked over what's coming in Volume III though.

Coco is definitely overpowered. Also,

Last edited:
Also, there's a stinger after the credits (and I don't mean the X-Ray and Vav trailer):

(Spoilers) http://gfycat.com/HonorableBronzeAtlanticblackgoby

either Mama Xiao Long or Yang's long lost sister (aside from Ruby). The family resemblance is uncanny. (Looks like Yang even inherited the ahoge!)

And apparently her name is "Raven Branwen", going by the credits. Probably a reference to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branwen_ferch_Lŷr

EDIT: As for the episode itself,
It was great to see team CFVY in action. (And curse Monty for teasing us with Velvet's box!) But I would have really liked to have seen more reveals, or at least hints, particularly as to what Cinder's up to.

Grr, the wait till Volume 3 is going to be killer...

(Credit: http://mammothrider.tumblr.com/post/101333383493/rwby-volume-two-chapter-eleven-no-brakes-recap)

Last edited:
Remember, Rooster Teeth is doing a live Q and A from the Alamo Drafthouse on YouTube soon!

So, some general thoughts of mine in no particular order...

• Someone voiced a 'CCT AI'- so Artificial Intelligences beyond Penny are apparently a thing.
  • Team CFVY was awesome.
  • Glynda's semblance might be focused around repairing things.
  • Cinder is surprisingly happy about hoe things went given that this was off schedule.
  • Adam is closely linked to Cinder and either has loyalties to her that are stronger than his ties to the White Fang or believes her plan is worthwhile even with how little she seems to care about the White Fang's core issues.

Oh, and yeah, the episode wasn't as climactic as it could have been. This seems... if not intentional, then fitting- whatever this was it was clearly only the end of the opening act of Cinder's plan, rather than a true climax for it. Beyond that, once Hunters got involved the Grimm went down easily- it's clear that while bad, this situation wasn't truly threatening to Vale as a whole. The episode seems to have been mostly build-up, so while it didn't satisfy me like a true climax would, it's left me wanting one more. The wait is going to be awful for the next season.

Makes me wonder whether Cinder's somehow connected to the guy who pushed the White Fang from peaceful protest to terrorism.

Okay, this episode was AWESOME.

1. Who was that classy dame on Team CFVY!? The one who bitchslapped the Grimm with a purse THAT TURNS INTO A GATLING CANNON!?

2. HOLY SHIT, ADAM'S WORKING FOR CINDER!?

3. HOLY FUCKING SHIT, IS THAT MOMMA XIAO LONG!? OR YANG'S EVIL TWIN!?

Back