RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a Word of God that the song was about Ruby and her Mother?

Honestly, I always got the impression it was more husband/wife/lover than mother/daughter. I mean, the very first verse:

"I couldn't take it, couldn't stand another minute
Couldn't bear another day without you in it.

All of the joy that I had known through all my life
was stripped away from me the minute that you died

To have you in my life was all I ever wanted,
but now without you I'm a soul forever haunted
Can't help but feel that I had taken you for granted
no way in hell that I can ever comprehend this"

Emphasis on the bolded parts is mine. To me, those lines imply that the surviving character knew the other one at some point, but before they were close. This, naturally, makes no sense if the survivor is a daughter.

Last edited:
Calling it right now.

Summer Rose gave part of her Aura to Ruby, the other to Adam (If he really is Ruby's brother.)

This heavily effected their semblances, maybe giving them a secondary, but lesser one.

Adam discovered his but Ruby has not discovered hers.

Honestly, I always got the impression is was more husband/wife/lover than mother/daughter. I mean, the very first verse:

"I couldn't take it, couldn't stand another minute
Couldn't bear another day without you in it.

All of the joy that I had known through all my life
was stripped away from me the minute that you died

To have you in my life was all I ever wanted,
but now without you I'm a soul forever haunted
Can't help but feel that I had taken you for granted
no way in hell that I can ever comprehend this"

Emphasis on the bolded parts is mine. To me, those lines imply that the surviving character knew the other one at some point, but before they were close. This, naturally, makes no sense if the survivor is a daughter.
Jeff Williams still said that it was between Ruby and Summer. I think the video with him saying so isn't even 5 pages away in this thread, or maybe it was in 'the game we play' on SB...

Despite sharing similar emblems and a red-and-black color scheme, Monty has confirmed that Ruby and Adam are not related to each other, and that their emblems differ from each other in terms of "scatter and wilt."
From the RWBY wikia.

Also, my money is on CFVY getting the speaking role first.

I vaguely remember them saying they have little relation outside of the rose motif as well.
Here's the tweet in question.

Monty is merely enumerating how the emblems are different. But a while back I thought of something strange. Ruby's semblance is super speed, and it scatters rose petals around, the verb Monty uses makes sense here, much like Semblance does for the superpowers as a whole.

But Adam isn't really associated with his verb in his actions if you think about it. He's not drooping, or fighting in some imitation of a wilting flower, he's much more like a healthy rose (to keep the comparison going), standing tall and straight-backed. Except, I remembered that wilt doesn't just mean a drooping plant, it's a representation of weakness. Which still doesn't fit, except for his final move in the trailer, where he blocks the big laser of the spider tank and seems to absorb it; rather than being a representation of the verb like Ruby is, he's the cause.

But I have strange thoughts some times, I once convinced myself there was a compelling argument Peter Parker was related to Arachne, the lady turned into a spider.

Just caught up on Vol. 2. Damn its good, well worth the weight. For those who want a detailed summary of what world-building was revealed in ep 2.

Say, hasn't anyone ever thought that Cynder (or what-ever was her name) might be Yang's mom? She looked kind of like that photo that Yang keep showing around, and she has a fire Semblance too... and I can't really confirm right now, but I think Yang hasn't seen her yet, though Ruby had. Dunno if latest episode invalidates it, haven't watched it yet.

I'm pretty sure Monty said somewhere that Cinder, while older than the cast, is still young enough to pass as a student. Or something along those lines "because Asians" according to him.

Say, hasn't anyone ever thought that Cynder (or what-ever was her name) might be Yang's mom? She looked kind of like that photo that Yang keep showing around, and she has a fire Semblance too... and I can't really confirm right now, but I think Yang hasn't seen her yet, though Ruby had. Dunno if latest episode invalidates it, haven't watched it yet.
It's been explicitly stated outside of the episodes that Cinder is not related to any of the main cast. Also, it's been stated that she's young enough to qualify as a senior, so is 20-21.

I'm pretty sure Monty said somewhere that Cinder, while older than the cast, is still young enough to pass as a student. Or something along those lines "because Asians" according to him.

She moisturizes.

Although I really want to see Ruby ask "Hey aren't you like thirty or something?" because some of the jokes the FNDM has been having at Cinder's expense over her infiltrating as a student are priceless.

Not to be outdone by Weiss with her Winter revelation Jaune apparently has seven sisters. Somehow that explains a lot. And let it never be said that Jaune is afraid to wear embarrassing outfits or goes back on his word. :grin:
Where did this come up? Or is the episode out now?

EDIT: Whoops, it is. Eh, got to wait three hours for it though.... :(

Not to be outdone by Weiss with her Winter revelation Jaune apparently has seven sisters. Somehow that explains a lot. And let it never be said that Jaune is afraid to wear embarrassing outfits or goes back on his word. :grin:
It was awesome, wasn't it? Jaune, I you have integrity, though I do question your sanity. Seven sisters after all.

Back