RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
I really liked all the expressions in this episode.

Seems like Junior will enter the series proper soon.

Made full-body screenshots on their new outfits. Spoiler tags for those who want to see their new outfits in the episode itself.

This episode was alot more serious than the last two.

Penny and Ruby's interaction carried a real sense of worry; along with Penny's fretting, which was kind of heatbreaking.

And Weiss seems to still be fighting with her father, and she seemed to scared of talking to him, my guess is that he's the condesending kind of parent, nothing is ever good enough for him.

Well... no surprise that Penny's a robot... for us, that is. For Ruby, though, it certainly comes out of left-field. I wonder what Penny's deal is with Ironwood though? I'm betting that Ironwood is the father that Penny was talking about.

Well... no surprise that Penny's a robot... for us, that is. For Ruby, though, it certainly comes out of left-field. I wonder what Penny's deal is with Ironwood though? I'm betting that Ironwood is the father that Penny was talking about.
No Not!Gepetto from the end of the first season sounds different from Ironwood, and Ironwood is noted to have shown up later. He was certainly involved in her creation but I'm betting Penny's "father" is more her current caretaker and less her creator; Holo-Ironwood's speech seems to show that their industrial base is more similar to ours so Penny was not designed and constructed by a singular craftsman.

I loved the boxes of 'Breakable Things'. And new outfits are always awesome. Also Weiss trying to fake a smile was adorable, in a sad sort of way.

Last edited:
I found the worldbuilding in this episode to be intriguing.

We get the first info on the Schnee Dust Company in ages, learn that Weiss has a sister named Winter, and get a look at Atlas' military technology. Oh yeah, and Scrolls are shown to be smartphone-likes.

The Elysium Knights (hopefully they don't get mowed down too easily...aw heck, of course they will, no countermeasures against Hunters or Huntresses in mind of course)

And the Elysium Paladin (AKA GOTTA HAVE MECHA CUZ ANIME). No doubt Team CREM is going to steal a model of it, considering the SDC's lax security.

Actually, why the heck haven't the SDC done more to counter the White Fang?

Last edited:
I loved the boxes of 'Breakable Things'. And new outfits are always awesome. Also Weiss trying to fake a smile was adorable, in a sad sort of way.

"White is cold and always yearning, burdened by a loyal test."

"Mirror, tell me something. Tell me who's the loneliest of all."

I'm also interested in this sister of hers, Winter...

"White is cold and always yearning, burdened by a loyal test."

"Mirror, tell me something. Tell me who's the loneliest of all."

I'm also interested in this sister of hers, Winter...
Great, now I'm thinking the line we think is about Weiss in Red Like Roses part 1 isn't about her, but about her sister Winter.

You've obviously never been into a proper board game shop. I've played games that are FAR more complex... that one seems at least internally consistent.
As I mentioned in another thread, Runewars comes to mind:

This is a game where you have to keep track of Fate Cards(used for all combat and diplomacy "rolls" among other things, probability chart listed above), Order Cards(have 9, use 1 each season, can't use a card twice in one year), Tactics Cards(which tend to be full of "No I Am Behind You" bullshit), and Seasonal Cards(same as Tactics only you have no control, in addition the annual effects each season). Note that this isn't some "each turn, build units, move units, seize territory, get resources" deal:

Some orders let you move, some orders give you resources based on dials though only specific dials and/or resources, one order actually sets your resources based on your current territory, another order gives all sorts of resources but only based on cities rather than dials. You get the supremacy bonus only if the card you played is currently the highest number card you've played this season.

Of course to win you need to get runes, which you are gonna need heroes for. I did mention them right:

In addition to the the Axis and Allies-esque-except-not-really strategy game, you also have are hiring heroes, gathering quests, sending them off on quests, gathering phat loot, dueling other heroes, etc etc, running largely in parallel with only occasional overlaps.

I still haven't touched upon things like the Strongholds that you use to field units and how they work, or the developments that can be attached to them, or the Influence Token bidding that is used to decide the outcomes of critical seasonal events and diplomacy checks. I haven't discussed runes, the various ways you can attain them, and how you need to seize territory to store them and can use decoys to hide them. And I sure as hell haven't talked about all the various idiosyncrasies and special cases, like how you can't attack over rivers... except during winter season when you can.

TL;DR version: I've played boardgames that make the one in RWBY look simple and straightforward.

Last edited:
Back