RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
I WAS BORED. I was bored and had nothing better to do than whine about how the show's events don't agree with my perferred interpretation of the show and about how a bunch of lines from WoG and source material that I don't like are treated as having more value than my headcanon.
... so you admit you have zero things to contribute and are only here to whinge and moan about simething you "don't care about" to paraphrase? Again, why are you here then?

Warning: Something witty about heads and cannons
something witty about heads and cannons
I WAS BORED. I was bored and had nothing better to do than whine about how the show's events don't agree with my perferred interpretation of the show and about how a bunch of lines from WoG and source material that I don't like are treated as having more value than my headcanon.

Look. It's okay to have a headcanon. It's okay to figure something out and even explain that you have a headcanon. It's even okay to try and get clarifications. It is not, however, okay for you to dismiss evidence in an argument and make a multipage thing when you're being consistently proven wrong by canon sources.

Here's the thing though. If it weren't for this post right here, where you declare that what you were doing, you were doing effectively to troll for the sake of it, you would have simply gotten off with a warning not to do it again.

You were disruptive. I'm giving you 25 points and a three day threadban under Rule 4.

Then you are a fool. They already did a scene demonstrating Aura. It was Ren's fight with the King Taijitu. It was quite obvious since Pyrrha was doing a voice-over explaining Aura during the entire encounter and the scene cut to Ren during specific parts of her explanation. The same episode also demonstrated Aura by having Jaune heal the cut on his cheek with Aura.

Having a second scene demonstrating the exact same properties of Aura (defense and healing) that we had already seen earlier in the same volume would have been redundant. What it did serve as was a early hint at what Jaune's Semblance would be, Aura Amplification. Hence it being the only time where Cardin (or anyone else) hurt themselves when punching Jaune (or anyone else) with a active Aura.

This is only getting a verbal warning as it's a mild insult, but please attack arguments, not people.

Enjoy the songs, but remember that they are not canon and cannot support anything in the show, particularly ships. Jeff Williams hasn't watched the show, and has gone on record by saying that he is only given some vague directions.

Exhibit A: Every song of Weiss is a variation of Mirror Mirror* Each is a solemn ballad about how Weiss is alone and only has herself to rely on, or laments about her father. Meanwhile, ever since volume 3 we find that not only does Weis have a super loving sister who supports her, she also has her own surrogate father figure in Klein. She is far from alone, though the songs would try to convince you otherwise.

They are no substitute for proper character development or worldbuilding either

*it is a decent song but after the 5th iteration you kind of want Jeff to write something new.

Last edited:
So apparently my Tumblr embed a few days back didn't work so here's the direct text

The Real Purpose of the White Fang

The white fang, is an allegory for abuse. Think about it, we've never seen any racism or discrimination against the faunus at all. Why haven't we seen any? Because it doesnt exist. The white fang are abusers and they're abusing humans. The schnees are getting the worst of it from what we know. They're using the pretense of equality as a justification for doing what they're doing. Just like how an abuser will use love as a justification for doing what they're doing. The white fang was never about equal right or the faunus, it was about abusing the humans.

I always wondered to myself, why the hell did they retcon and butcher Adam's character into that of an abuser. This characterization came out of nowhere and it doesnt fit into anything. It doesnt fit into the white fang. It doesn't fit into the plot. And it doesnt even fit for Blake's character because it's not something she has to overcome and it's not detrimental to her character.

Why was this abuse characteristic used in this white fang plotline when It serves zero purpose for either character. Why use a white fang member and call him abusive. Why are the little tidbits we got from Blake used as some sort of evidence that Adam abused her instead of what it should have been used for, which is his increased anger at nothing really changing for the faunus and hating humans more and more. Dont get me started on the season three fight where its expected of them to fight because they're on two opposing sides and she attacked him first. Anyway, why did they make the faunus advocate, a one dimensional abuser, whose only evil trait is that hes an abuser.

It's to show that the white fang are abusing humanity and not the other way around.
Source

It's an interesting and IMHO valid take on the matter that I hadn't thought of before.

Enjoy the songs, but remember that they are not canon and cannot support anything in the show, particularly ships. Jeff Williams hasn't watched the show, and has gone on record by saying that he is only given some vague directions.

Exhibit A: Every song of Weiss is a variation of Mirror Mirror* Each is a solemn ballad about how Weiss is alone and only has herself to rely on, or laments about her father. Meanwhile, ever since volume 3 we find that not only does Weis have a super loving sister who supports her, she also has her own surrogate father figure in Klein. She is far from alone, though the songs would try to convince you otherwise.

*it is a decent song but after the 5th iteration you kind of want Jeff to write something new.

I mean we have known that since season one when the song was a dark power ballad with a well done video and the actual season was less serious than an episode of Filmore. :V

So apparently my Tumblr embed a few days back didn't work so here's the direct text

Source

It's an interesting and IMHO valid take on the matter that I hadn't thought of before.

I mean if you want to make the handling of the faunus even worse that is a take you can go with.

Last edited:
You think it would be obvious, but I have seen so many fans try to use the songs as evidence in various arguments in favor of the show. Lack of character development in the show? There's a song about that. You like a certain ship? There are some songs about that. You think there wasn't enough foreshadowing for volume 3? Apparently the dark and edgy openings are sufficient. They are all actual legit arguments people have tried to make.

I am pretty sure Jeff's song writing process goes against that:

"One of the very first things I'll do when I read the script is, I'll just go through it with a marker and highlight words and phrases that I think are cool. You know. They might not even necessarily have any huge meaning. But if it's just a line that a character says, or even a description of a setting that I like the sound of, I'll make a note of that."

"I'll end up with a text document full of just random little words and phrases that I pulled out of the script. And as I'm writing songs I'll have that open. So sometimes it's not even all that deep. It's more like, 'Oh, that's a cool word, I'm gonna use that word.'"

"Sometimes [the inspiration for a song comes from] a much bigger picture of the story or the character. Either knowing where their backstory comes from – which sometimes is a secret privilege that I might have – to knowing where their story is going, which again is a secret privilege that I might have."

"So for example with Weiss's character, I was able to have a little bit more knowledge of her background story and her life and, you know, her feelings and her life before she got on camera. And again that would come from a discussion with the writers and producers about who this character is and where their background really came from."

"This is a really core concept that Monty and I talked about all the time, and it's a very core part of the way he worked. He established the [method] that a lot of the animators have followed through with, which is that there's always rhythm involved. For Monty, everything was music, everything was dancing, everything was about rhythm. So what a great thing for me, to be able to work with someone who thinks in that way."

"I always considered it this game where I would watch the animations and try to guess the tempo that the animator was thinking about while they were making the animation, and look for the rhythmic movements in the animation itself."

"These characters – they step and they jump and they punch. And they step and they jump and they punch. So you're looking for drumbeats you know? Drumbeats and rhythms in the movements of the characters. It's almost like they're dancing while they're fighting or jumping, so it gives you a whole different way of almost turning anything into a music video."

"And then it gets interesting because you'll get into something rhythmic, and all of a sudden the animation will pull you away from it. And you're like, 'Oh shit, now what do I do? I was in this groove and now the animation seems to be not in it anymore.' So then you say, 'Well now what happens? Do we change the music? Do we just go with it? Do we ask if they can tweak the animation?'"

Source

OK so I had a long post but... You do know the author of that post admitted they weren't being serious right?

Like... There is a lot more I could say, like about the World of Remnant confirming abuse, or how bigotry works, or how what Adam was like in the trailers the portrayal of the SDC, ETC but...When your starting premise is a post the author did not intend to be taken seriously, I think I am done.

Oh yes, I do understand that the abuse implication was entirely unintentional and it is just the result of shitty writing, because it seems like that about sums up the whole show. But it's still interesting to think about. And it says better things about the show than "this anti racism writing is so bad that it loops right back around to actually kind of racist."

As for the songs, if that is indeed Jeff Williams methodology for his songs, he's pretty clearly missing a lot, if he honestly thinks that Weiss has had nothing but herself. Or that Ruby is in anyway angsting about Summer. Etcetera etcetera.

Oh yes, I do understand that the abuse implication was entirely unintentional and it is just the result of shitty writing, because it seems like that about sums up the whole show. But it's still interesting to think about. And it says better things about the show than "this anti racism writing is so bad that it loops right back around to actually kind of racist."

As for the songs, if that is indeed Jeff Williams methodology for his songs, he's pretty clearly missing a lot, if he honestly thinks that Weiss has had nothing but herself. Or that Ruby is in anyway angsting about Summer. Etcetera etcetera.
Your premise is based on a joke post, their premise is not serious, the fact you treat it as such makes you very hard to take seriously, sorry.

Your opinion is not fact, Jeff works on the shows, reads the scripts, knows the backstories and sees the animations, I'd say he's more well informed about the characters than you are. You're entitled to your opinion that X is not handle well, but phrasing your statement seeming as "Jeff, who works on the show (Insert what I said above) clearly is missing a lot of about the characters he has all the info on"comes across as conflating your unsubstantiated opinion with fact.

Your premise is based on a joke post, their premise is not serious, the fact you treat it as such makes you very hard to take seriously, sorry.
Clearly not sorry at all if you didn't bother with basic reading comprehension.

Yes. I am aware it is a joke post. Which you would know if you'd actually bothered to read my post instead of knee-jerk responding . I know that it's poking fun at the absolute awfulness of the faunus racism subplot by coming up with a crazy headcanon to explain it. That doesn't mean it isn't an interesting interpretation or that it doesn't deserve discussion as a neat take on the WF subplot.

Your opinion is not fact, Jeff works on the shows, reads the scripts, knows the backstories and sees the animations, I'd say he's more well informed about the characters than you are. You're entitled to your opinion that X is not handle well, but phrasing your statement seeming as "Jeff, who works on the show (Insert what I said above) clearly is missing a lot of about the characters he has all the info on"comes across as conflating your unsubstantiated opinion with fact.
And yet, Mirror Mirror part 5 exist. Or whatever the name of Weiss's current song is. And Ruby has never shown the slightest hint of angst.

That doesn't mean it isn't an interesting interpretation or that it doesn't deserve discussion as a neat take on the WF subplot.
Canon clearly contradicts it.

A bar in Volume 5 had a "No Faunus Allowed" sign.

When Cardin was harassing Velvet, onlookers commented that being a faunus was difficult. Later that same episode, Professor Oobleck mentioned anti-Faunus discrimination as an ongoing thing.

And the fact that it suspiciously parallels racist propaganda ("the real discrimination is the minorities picking on the whites!") makes it frankly distasteful.

So no, it doesn't deserve discussion.

Clearly not sorry at all if you didn't bother with basic reading comprehension.

Yes. I am aware it is a joke post. Which you would know if you'd actually bothered to read my post instead of knee-jerk responding . I know that it's poking fun at the absolute awfulness of the faunus racism subplot by coming up with a crazy headcanon to explain it. That doesn't mean it isn't an interesting interpretation or that it doesn't deserve discussion as a neat take on the WF subplot.
So you're insulting me now?

Given the premise is not serious I fail to see how or feel that it is worth engaging with but before I go to sleep I will. Poorly handled or not we have:

1. We do see bigotry, no CDRL are not just bullies just like (For example) Gay bashers are not just muggers or randomly violent hooligans.
2. Weiss and functionally everyone in the plot who isn't an antagonist, such as Jac Schnee, acknowledge the SDC is shady, bad and this is never refuted save by an abusive, manipulative villain who is noted to use PR and BS to get way with doing the wrong thing.
3. Qrow acknowledging the bigotry.

4. Attempted genocide by proxy with the Menagerie plan, and historical enslavement and disenfranchisement of Faunus.

5. Stores being allowed to openly discriminate against Faunus and no authority figures doing anything about CDRL.

That's off the top of my head anyway.

And yet, Mirror Mirror part 5 exist. Or whatever the name of Weiss's current song is. And Ruby has never shown the slightest hint of angst.
Repeating your claim doesn't validate it when you have nothing to back it up.

I would say that the songs are a shaky foundation for speculation as well, but because Jeff Williams and other RWBY staff members have explicitly stated that the lyrics are often liberal or metaphorical and some entire songs are sorta what-ifs that aren't necessarily hints at canon, rather than because he doesn't watch the show.

Regarding Weiss, while she and her older sister care deeply for one another her relationship with Winter is not the sort that would be typically called warm and affectionate, and while Klein fills in as best he can he is not Weiss's father and can't always be there for her or protect her from Jacques. Loneliness doesn't have to mean being an only child, orphan, or hermit.

Jeff Williams did say he doesn't watch most television, even or especially stuff he's worked on, but he also makes it clear that he reads the scripts closely and talks to the rest of the crew:
Article:
Step 1: Find Cool Words and Phrases

If step one sounds pretty simple, that's because it is. Here's Jeff:

"One of the very first things I'll do when I read the script is, I'll just go through it with a marker and highlight words and phrases that I think are cool. You know. They might not even necessarily have any huge meaning. But if it's just a line that a character says, or even a description of a setting that I like the sound of, I'll make a note of that."

"I'll end up with a text document full of just random little words and phrases that I pulled out of the script. And as I'm writing songs I'll have that open. So sometimes it's not even all that deep. It's more like, 'Oh, that's a cool word, I'm gonna use that word.'"

Step 2: Have Access to Secret Info

Sorry, you can't try this step at home. One key aspect of developing the lyrics is knowing what's already happened in the characters' past, and knowing what's coming in the future:

"Sometimes [the inspiration for a song comes from] a much bigger picture of the story or the character. Either knowing where their backstory comes from – which sometimes is a secret privilege that I might have – to knowing where their story is going, which again is a secret privilege that I might have."

"So for example with Weiss's character, I was able to have a little bit more knowledge of her background story and her life and, you know, her feelings and her life before she got on camera. And again that would come from a discussion with the writers and producers about who this character is and where their background really came from."

Article:
RH: Which of the four major series you've worked on is your favorite, regardless of the music?

JW: I honestly don't watch them. I'm more of a Futurama / Arrested Development type.

RH: So you don't watch the shows that I'd assume you literally need to watch in order to score?

JW: No, I don't watch them, it's not a joke. I mean, I understand what I need to understand in order to do what I need to do. That usually comes more from reading the script and talking with directors than from actually watching it. I feel no need to watch the show after I am done working on it. Rooster Teeth's audio mixing is... well, let's just say... it doesn't tend to flatter the music.

I interact with the characters in a different way than the viewer does. I need to dream about them and imagine their lives and their thoughts and their feelings and experiences. I need to let my imagination run around and pretend the characters are telling me their deepest secrets. What the viewer sees in the show is just a tiny slice of that character's life. Writing anything requires a lot of pretending.

I watch very little TV, I don't watch a ton of movies. I don't have that kind of free time, and I'm just not interested in 99% of what is produced.

Source

It's a creative interpretation, but it's based on the premise that: "we've never seen any racism or discrimination against the faunus at all."

While there can certainly be arguments about how Faunus discrimination is depicted, the Tumblr post does not offer support for the claim that discrimination is never shown at all. As the premise is fundamental to the Tumblr post's theory, that's a major flaw.

Last edited:

I get the feeling you don't actually pay much attention to the songs.
And now I know you don't. The current song, The Path to Isolation is a flashback to pre series, as fitting of the trailer. Mirror Mirror 1 and 2 are who she was at the beginning and her deciding to fight back, and then This Life is Mine wasn't all that down at all. It was a giant fuck you to her father, and saying she couldn't fight half-heartedly.

As for you positing that she's not alone... an emotionally distant sister who's never home because of her job, and a falling out with their father, and the help who can only be offer comfort if they're alone isn't what I'd call a strong support system.

Then Ruby may not be actively bring over her mom, she died almost a decade ago after all, but her attitude towards life isn't exactly healthy. Prodigy or no, she throws herself into fights way too recklessly, the Nevermore, trying to solo a potential ship filled with White Fang, the town in V4s trailer, Qrow's fight with Tyrion... the last one in particular since she outright states she's not losing another precious person... it almost comes off as having a death wish more than only wanting to protect people.

Last edited:
Also those heavy implications that Weiss cuts herself.

Also those heavy implications that Weiss cuts herself.
So edgy. You realize that we have seen Weiss' arms, hands and wrists a ton of times right? And that there are no scars there at all? The only scar Weiss has is the one on her face, which her father indirectly gave her when he forced her to fight a giant possessed robot knight. There has never been any signs or hint that Weiss engages in self-harm. That's Hazel's shtick.

Lack of character development in the show? There's a song about that.
That doesn't mesh well with canon.

Take Ruby "MY MOM IS DEAD AND I AM ANGRY ABOUT IT AND THIS SONG IS ME ANGSTING ABOUT IT!" Rose for instance (though my headcanon is that she's talking about Pyrrha).
When Cardin was harassing Velvet, onlookers commented that being a faunus was difficult.
And did jack and shit about it. Even for Ren "Sometimes the worst thing is doing nothing at all" Lie.

So edgy. You realize that we have seen Weiss' arms, hands and wrists a ton of times right? And that there are no scars there at all? The only scar Weiss has is the one on her face, which her father indirectly gave her when he forced her to fight a giant possessed robot knight. There has never been any signs or hint that Weiss engages in self-harm. That's Hazel's shtick.
Source:

I refuse to give any views to a video like that. If it doesn't make its case well enough for you to provide a summary of its reasoning then its not worth listening to in the first place. Meanwhile here's a canon source:

One outfit covering her arms out of several that doesn't is not some dark sign that Weiss secretly tried to commit suicide and the show just skipped over such a dramatic scene for no reason. Ruby, Blake and even Yang also wear outfits that cover up their sleeves. Its fashion.

And did jack and shit about it. Even for Ren "Sometimes the worst thing is doing nothing at all" Lie.
Yeah, so? I never said the scene wasn't stupid. The episode it's from is "Jaundice" after all. But it's also a clear indication that anti-faunus prejudice is supposed to be a real thing, even if they're bad at showing it. (And the fact that even people who don't approve will just passively watch it happen without doing anything doesn't really make it any better.)

Ruby, Blake and even Yang also wear outfits that cover up their sleeves. Its fashion.
It's also practical if you live in a snow-covered wasteland like Atlas/Mantle is implied to be.

The problem with how the Faunus plotline went is, as stated in the commentary, the writers didn't know how to do the "faunus racism" thing correctly. Even though RT is based in a country that is rooted in a lot of history and even current day drama they can draw inspiration from, but that's another topic. Though, I think there's another problem.

A user by the name of @ThePoarter had brought up various ways to handle Faunus discrimination, basing it off past historical events. However, that therein lies the problem: it's all in the past. If we're to compare status of relationships to our modern day society, then it's clear that the Faunus-Human race relations are roughly around the Noughties. Done are the days of lynching Faunus due to them being different from humans and they've begun to more or less view them as equals. Sure, there's still problems here and there (there's still some bullying and labor practices), but for the most part, they got the major problem solved and even have a Faunus be elected into a high spot in society (Lionheart).

As such, there wasn't really much racist incidents to cover save for the scars committed years ago. Just scars that keep getting picked at. We don't know how long ago that "No Faunus Allowed" sign was put up, for instance, and the White Fang was a carryover from the revolution. There's some truth to the "White Fang are abusers" theory, though. Perhaps Faunus society has changed for the better, but some people are bitter over either how long it took to get to that point or still believe humans resent Faunus and decide to bite back. Note how no one in the White Fang who fully believe in "the cause" cared at all about peace. Not even Sienna cared about peace, just getting the humans to understand through fear. When the White Fang symbol was formed in the WOR segment of Faunus, Qrow said how some people would "get even". Not "aim for peace" or "equality", but getting revenge.

Long story short, the reason why Faunus Racism isn't that fully utilized could possibly be because they were in a time of peace™ and thus there was no real direction to go other than having the White Fang acting out of revenge rather than proving a point.

If we're to compare status of relationships to our modern day society, then it's clear that the Faunus-Human race relations are roughly around the Noughties.
Pretty sure businesses weren't still hanging "No Coloreds" signs in their windows in the first decade of the 21st century.

This might be something that varies region by region. The "No Faunus" sign was in Mistral, and I seem to recall they were on the "conquer and exploit" side of the Great War. Maybe they're still in a '60s or '70s sort of attitude. Vale seems to be fairly egalitarian with only minor incidents of racism, like bullying and police profiling. It isn't supported by the law, but a lot of people are turning a blind eye, so maybe '80s or '90s? I'd be curious to see what happens next season when they go to Atlas, given that it's the home of SDC and there's been multiple sources talking about how they exploit faunus labor. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a '20s or '30s sort of situation there, not only in terms of racism but also regarding shit like paying workers in corporate script instead of real money, unsafe working conditions and a complete lack of workers' rights. (At the very least, I'm hoping that we'll get to see the ugly side to SDC, because otherwise going there isn't going to be a very interesting story.)

Back