RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
It also didn't make good use of them. They got completely ditched for OP assholes.

Much better, albeit much briefer, use of the masked shadow motif in my opinion.

A healthy reminder that Faeries, though not necessarily evil, are not always NICE either . . .

Last edited:
So, who bets that Obleck's weapon will be a whip? I mean, he's an archeologist and a professor... he only lacks the fedora.

Man, this feels like a bit of a rip off of Bleach with Hollows.
Only in appearance, and only to some degree. Creatures born of dark emotions is a very broad category that dates back to ancient mythology. Though I suspect we are still missing a large amount about the Grimm at best, and being blatantly lied to about large aspects of them at worst.

So, who bets that Obleck's weapon will be a whip? I mean, he's an archeologist and a professor... he only lacks the fedora.

It's going to have to be something that goes well with his speed. Cause if that's how he moves when the adrenaline isn't pumping . . . I'm wondering if he won't just be a blur.

Last edited:
It's going to have to be something that goes well with his speed. Cause if that's how he moves when the adrenaline isn't pumping . . . I'm wondering if he won't just be a blur.

Yeah, if Obleck's adrenaline gets going... good god. The Grim won't know what hit them. We think Blake is fast (and she really did have a need for speed this week)? Obleck will probably make her look slow by comparison.

One thing I noticed this recent episode:

Yang never told Oobleck about her other goal to find her mother.

Well, she has no reason to go into such a personal matter when answering that question, does she? Kinda like how Blake didn't go into the fact that she was a member of the White Fang when he asked her, or how Weiss didn't elaborate more on her situation with her family, whatever that's like.

That was one of the points of the episode anyway--all of the girls except Ruby are still developing their reasons for fighting. They're young, and they're still trying to figure out their goals and desires and how to go about achieving them. Like Nidhoggr said, their talk around the fire made it clear that there was more going on for all three of them than they told Oobleck.

I'm waiting for something like this:

Yang: Wait. Is Ruby really the most mature of us? I mean, she already knows why she's doing things.
Blake: ...you might have a point.

I'm personally betting it's his canteen. That's always what he's wielding when everyone else has a weapon out. Maybe it turns into a rocket launcher or something.

Also, I'm totally digging the music for this episode.

One thing I had in mind the moment Oobleck was revealed to be the huntsman assigned to Ruby: Don't the two have the same semblance? Speed? Bart's mostly used it for comedic effect so far but there's no denying he's FAST. Maybe he's even more appropriate a shadow than we've already been shown.

He'll probably do that "Flash out of eyesight for a quarter moment and appear somewhere else and then all the bad guys freeze and fall dead" thing at one point or another.

That was one of the points of the episode anyway--all of the girls except Ruby are still developing their reasons for fighting. They're young, and they're still trying to figure out their goals and desires and how to go about achieving them. Like Nidhoggr said, their talk around the fire made it clear that there was more going on for all three of them than they told Oobleck.
I'm waiting for something like this:
Yang: Wait. Is Ruby really the most mature of us? I mean, she already knows why she's doing things.
Blake: ...you might have a point.

This should be obvious to us. After all, Ruby already told both Ozpin and Blake that her desire boils entirely down to "...I want to help people..." and "...I want to be just like the heroes in those books...that's why we're here, to make [the world] better..." She really is that honestly simple, already knowing what she wants to do without complications or doubt.

And victory is in a simple soul.

This should be obvious to us. After all, Ruby already told both Ozpin and Blake that her desire boils entirely down to "...I want to help people..." and "...I want to be just like the heroes in those books...that's why we're here, to make [the world] better..." She really is that honestly simple, already knowing what she wants to do without complications or doubt.

And victory is in a simple soul.
Isn't it what Yang said before the professor asked more questions?

Isn't it what Yang said before the professor asked more questions?
Yang said 'too fight monsters and save-' before being cut off. Ruby's reason is that she wants to be a hero. Think about how Obleck explained his reason. He's a huntsman because he believes that as a huntsman he can best gather new knowledge and give it to the next generation, thus reducing overall casualties and preventing potential deaths. Ruby wants to be a huntress for the sole reason because that is the best way she can help people. To her, killing monsters and fighting back the dark is the best way of achieving her goal. Yang's goal wasn't to fight Grimm and save people, it was to live a good life, at least in part.

Last edited:
Back