RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
That's says a lot of things about his competence and that of the staff at keeping order. Not all of them nice.
Well he knew they were going to sneak off to the SE anyway to investigate things no matter what.

Which is better? Force them on one of the normal routes and have them escape to do their self-imposed mission with no back-up and no-one knowing where they are; or bend a rules a little bit and send them to the SE while ensuring they have a senior Huntsman as backup if needed?

Last edited:
Somebody declared war on art. Plato must have realized his dream.
Reminds me of the Qin Dynasty's attempt to incinerate philosophy, or Mao Zedong's "Cultural Revolution", or authoritarian suppression of the arts in general.

What I wonder is, since the modern kingdoms of Remnant seem to reject that ideology, who was the oppressor? Some regime that ruled across the kingdoms? An extinct state? Or the predecessor to one of the present states, in the way e.g. modern Germany is to Nazi Germany?

Last edited:
Well he knew they were going to sneak off to the SE anyway to investigate things no matter what.

Which is better? Send them on one of the normal routes and have them escape to do their self-imposed mission with no back-up and no-one knowing where they are; or bend a rules a little bit and send them to the SE while ensuring they have a senior Huntsman as backup if needed?
If he knew, he could have sent someone to shadow them if necessary, or told the staff where they were likely to be headed.

Can I just say Glynda's interrupted summation of Ironwood's tactics is perfect and very her.

And Ruby's reaction to... Everything.

I just realized... We finally know what Ruby and Yang's father's name is!

... Which I'm not going to try typing since I've misspelled just about every character's name at one point or another. (Qrow was cheating though, Monty.)

I just realized... We finally know what Ruby and Yang's father's name is!

... Which I'm not going to try typing since I've misspelled just about every character's name at one point or another. (Qrow was cheating though, Monty.)
Taiyang Xiao Long, "Taiyang" meaning "sun" in Mandarin Chinese.

And it's been revealed twice before outside of the show, first when "montyoum" (who we can now assume was indeed Monty) edited the tvtropes WMG page for RWBY, and more recently when Monty tweeted a screenshot where Taiyang's name could be seen (along with other names).

If he knew, he could have sent someone to shadow them if necessary, or told the staff where they were likely to be headed.

Or you can openly send them with a Senior Huntsman who can guide and advise them. Most of all judge when its time to retreat rather than getting in too deep. Rather than betraying their trust by sneaking around behind their backs and perhaps causing a mix up that could end in disaster for everyone.

While it's questionable Ozpin letting them go. Children, at least exceptional children, being effective warriors and expected to confront danger is kind of a fundamental conceit of this sort of show.

Last edited:
Yes, and go behind their backs, break their trust, and cause more work for him and his staff instead of just having one of the teachers already on an assignment openly go with them. There's also the fact that while RWBY are his students, they're at the equivalent of a college being trained to risk their lives and protect civilization. While it might be unorthodox to send first year students on a high level mission, I can see it having a good amount of traction on Remnant, with a 'trial by fire' philosophy. When civilization is in danger of collapsing, you tend to be less concerned with risking lives.

Or you can openly send them with a Senior Huntsman who can guide and advise them. Most of all judge when its time to retreat rather than getting in too deep. Rather than betraying their trust by sneaking around behind their backs and perhaps causing a mix up that could end in disaster for everyone.

While it's questionable Ozpin letting them go. Children, at least exceptional children, being effective warriors and expected to confront danger is kind of a fundamental conceit of this sort of show.
They're all college age except for Ruby, so it isn't so bad.

Last edited:
Okay few things I noticed.

Apparently he eats "Gentleman's Best Friend Dog Food"

I propose a drinking game. A shot every time you see two characters with the same face. Would be especially fun once the DVDs released with the "watch as movie" option. Still, same face syndrome is preferable to the eldritch abominations from the first half of Season 1.

I guess "main characters wear whatever they want" privileges extend to JNPR as well as RWBY.

Also note the abundance of silver colored (or is that silvery blue?) eyes.

And finally the lolz.

Anyone else feel the overwhelming urge to pet Blake's head?

D'aawww...Blake got more kitten in her than she knows.

Also Zewi's pretty smart, he stops playing with Blake as soon as Yang mentions the word "food".

Last edited:
Okay few things I noticed.

Apparently he eats "Gentleman's Best Friend Dog Food"
I think it's actually "Stileman's Best Friend".

"Stileman's."

Still man's...

EDIT: nvm, I misread it. The other thread (on SB) mislead me.

In other news, Alex Abraham works with Jeff Williams to do the episodic music for RWBY. I like some of his recent compositions, particularly the titles "RWBY Volume 2, Chapter 6: Blake vs. the Red Dot" and "RWBY Volume 2, Chapter8: Bumblebee". :D

http://soundcloud.com/alex-abraham-music

Last edited:
7:51 Ozpin adressing all the students in the hall: "As first year students..."

I wonder why was there a mission restricted to second years and up on the boards... :rolleyes:

Back