RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
It does feel a bit odd that they would let Yang search out Raven despite who she is and what she does and that in Qrow's case never mention that she occasionally deigned to visit.
Would forbidding Yang from looking for Raven do any good? They could only choose not to encourage the search. Not like Yang was making much progress.

Also the new episode is called Two Steps Froward Two Steps Back:
Nice, time to check in on Yang. Link: RWBY: Volume 4, Chapter 9: Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

Would forbidding Yang from looking for Raven do any good? They could only choose not to encourage the search. Not like Yang was making much progress.
I wasn't even really suggesting forbidding her, but I feel "Your birth-mother left to rejoin a band of murderous brigands and doesn't care about you" would be useful info for her to have to determine whether she even wants to look, and would at least mean she's not going in blind if she did find a good lead.

Edit: Heck, Qrow said he had a lead for Yang but didn't mention what Raven does and only just now explains that he's been in sporadic contact with her?

It just feels weird is what I'm saying.

Last edited:
I wasn't even really suggesting forbidding her, but I feel "Your birth-mother left to rejoin a band of murderous brigands and doesn't care about you" would be useful info for her to have to determine whether she even wants to look, and would at least mean she's not going in blind if she did find a good lead.
Then again saying something like that to a child or even worse a hormonal teenager could cause some interesting reactions that the parent/guardian might have wanted to avoid until they felt that she was ready to handle them.

Last edited:
Then again saying something like that to a child or even worse a hormonal teenager could cause some interesting reactions that the parent/guardian might have wanted to avoid until they felt that she was ready to handle them.
Telling Yang as a child might have been a bad idea, but she's 17 by the start of the series, already looking for Raven and is overall quite mature. Not telling her due to her being a "teenager" feels kind of off to me, especially given other stuff they let "teenagers" do and how much danger Yang could be in if she discovered that info in a none controlled enviroment or found Raven.
Did he know that she was with the bandits again? My impression was that he didn't know until the conversation the had a few episodes back.
Raven talked about him ditching their family which she went back to and I don't really recall him expressing any surprise, but that may just be me.

Telling Yang as a child might have been a bad idea, but she's 17 by the start of the series, already looking for Raven and is overall quite mature. Not telling her due to her being a "teenager" feels kind of off to me, especially given other stuff they let "teenagers" do and how much danger Yang could be in if she discovered that info in a none controlled environment or found Raven.
Yes but how do you think Yang would handle the knowledge that her Mom basically ran out on her and her father/family to go back to her Bandit tribe family for some explicit reason that only makes sense to Raven and not even try to stay in touch/see if she was alright etc(yes yes her one time deal but that was that), even a teenager with extreme combat skills would have a difficult time coping with that kind of information, now think how someone like Yang both pre and post loss of her arm would react.

Last edited:
Yes but how do you think Yang would handle the knowledge that her Mom basically ran out on her and her father/family to go back to her Bandit tribe family for some explicit reason that only makes sense to Raven and not even try to stay in touch/see if she was alright etc(yes yes her one time deal but that was that), even a teenager with extreme combat skills would have a difficult time coping with that kind of information, now think how someone like Yang both pre and post loss of her arm would react.
Pre-loss Yang was actually quite mature I feel, I imagine she'd be upset but could handle it and that doesn't really change my point because they're A, totally fine with sending her into other extremely adult situations and B, if Yang finds out on her own or finds Raven before knowing who she is and what she does it would be several times worse then telling her in a controlled enviroment where if there is some sort of fallout it can be managed far better than if she found out alone or in some dangerous high tension situation.

Last edited:
[Discussion] Volume 4, Chapter 9: Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back
RWBY Volume 4 episode 9 :
Yang seems to be progressing fast in terms of her mental health, but at the same time... dang is it good to see her smile, don't really agree with Tai's assessment of her fighting but I did like the other stuff he did/said and that he was finally willing to talk about Raven and acknowledge Yang as an adult in that regard. The fight was also very cool, Zwei is still adorable and Raven apparently tore their team apart... I hope they bring up Summer as Yang's mother at some point, plus the whole bandit thing feels like it needs to be mentioned at some point.

Whitley is being smug, no surprises there, and yeah that army worked out great given it takes like 13 of them to pin a single Deathstalker XD Weiss's summoning was grand in scale and generally epic, seems she's focusing her emotions towards it which works well, and she wants a favour.

Sister Ilya has a freaking sweet weapon and her skin keeps shifting, Sun noted that she apparently doesn't look like a Faunus? Their movements all felt kind of sluggish save for the whip sword and she said Blake shouldn't have come back. Also Sun got stabbed and is hanging on a bit and Blake was going "Not again, not again" oh Blake, these volumes are not being kind to you. Also their Aura dropped super fast.

Qrow is...not doing so great and may be hallucinating, Ruby has some ideas but is clearly stressed sorta fifty fifty there, Ren is very cranky but not hugely expressive, but when one expresses them self so rarely I guess it works? Jaune wants them all to stay together, Nora notes they don't have time for safe and comes up with a fairly reasonable plan, though with Grim around (shifty eyes) Well I guess we'll see, also nice moment between Nora and Ren. As Ruby and Jauen carry Qrow away they step in the imprint of the Grimm/Bandits we saw awhile back... That ain't good.

Edit: Also still waiting for team members to discuss each other.

Last edited:
Ironwood has given Yang the best gift a girl could ever have. The gift of robot pimphand.

Yang is better! and apparently recovered weeks ago, this show would benefit from timestamps. Man I really wish the rest of the show's 'emotional' conversation developments matched up to what we've seen in her arc. This is really well done.

Aw yiss Yang got called out on her Semblance-crutching. Hmm I wonder if the discrepancy between her more tactical trailer-style and her reckless idiot show-style was so she had something to develop towards.

Tai doesn't think Raven is a bitch, even if her flaws hurt her entire family and tore their team apart? And even admires the good parts of her he sees in Yang? This is surprising to learn. Wonder what convinced Raven bandit-darwinism was a good cause to fight for.

Welp Shitley the weasel boy gets more confirmation every time he opens his mouth. There aren't many ways to spin him deliberately mentioning their father was taking him to meet business partners if he just wanted to know if Weiss wanted something from town. That and the "trapped in your own bedroom" and "pointless training" lines were pretty blatant attempts to rub salt in the wound.

Whitley's comment that strength is barbaric also casts his introductory comment that Weiss is "strong, like Winter" in a very unfavorable light.

Weiss can summon the knight now. Yay. Now gtfo of Atlas already.

Not-Illya vs Blake and Sun, on the run, surely this will be awesome fight and explain every-

Or Sun will just forget how to use his Semblance properly and break his own Aura so he can get wounded really quickly in order for Illya to make her escape while Blake has a meltdown. I would honestly rather they'd lost her entirely when she burst the steam pipe on Blake than watch this stupid bullshit drama-llama play out.

Chameleon skin faunus with lightning extendo-whip lance is the only good thing that came out of this scene. Well, that and the fact that WF masks can include fake faunus traits.

...ugh, Qrow is going to be dying right up through the finale isn't he. Sigh.

Confirmation that RNJR did not manage to retrieve the map. Or take any backup pictures of it with their Scrolls. This wouldn't reflect so badly on them, except Jaune actually dropped the damn thing before Tyrian attacked them at all. Jesus christ its really a miracle RNJR manage to get this far in the first place.

Kuroyuri looks to be Oniyuri Mk 2. Maybe this one had a more gorey dead parents end than the first, Ren sounded a lot more emotional at the mention of it. And Oniyuri never made it on the maps so maybe Kuroyuri was actually finished.

Maybe Jaune will finally get to fight for realsies beside Ruby if that hoofprint Grimm tries to maul them.
We see a golden glow dissipate off him at 10:14 and he is clearly exhausted, so this effect may represent aura depletion as a separate thing from aura break.

Also it was already established in Vol 3 that lightning dust will conduct through aura to stun people but doesn't cause lasting damage if there's still aura left.
Whitley claims a single huntsman can't hope to accomplish anything. And yet a single huntsman, Nick, built the foundation for SDC to grow into a household name for Whitley to inherit! And even if he thinks Jacques was more important to SDC growth than Nick was how can he not see the value in personal strength when his family and friends have been successfully targeted by the WF? At worst he should view strength as extra insurance not barbaric and pointless.

I think Weiss was either on the money about Whitley being jealous or he's just being written as a short sighted idiot.

Last edited:
So Ilia has a threaded cane, essentially.

Agree the scuffle with Illia - I wouldn't call it a fight - was a bit clunky, but presumably due to a lack of rendering time.

Am I the only one who thinks Zwei looks a little uncanny this season? The added animations both make him look better and also sort of weird. The show is CGI but Zwei looks especially CGI this episode.

To me Zwei looks just as derpy as he did in previous volumes. The only version that was cute to me was the chibi version.

That and the new Faunus, I like the effect, but her different skin colors need some actual shading and texture if they want to pull the look off. Solid neon green just does not work.

And the Bumblebee shippers rejoice. Seriously, the outright hatred they have towards Sun is funny and sad. The developments in Blake's part will undoubtedly please them. 'Course it only happened because he was forced to hold the incompetence ball, but he's still badly injured.

I am sad that Qrow is probably going to die. Not because I have any particular affection towards his character. I actually don't like Qrow at all. But if he dies, that will retroactively sort of justify him and it makes any calling out by the cast seem like whining.

And the Bumblebee shippers rejoice. Seriously, the outright hatred they have towards Sun is funny and sad. The developments in Blake's part will undoubtedly please them. 'Course it only happened because he was forced to hold the incompetence ball, but he's still badly injured.

Salty much?

I don't hate Sun. I just think he's a flake and doesn't know Blake nearly as well as he thinks he does.

Congratulations, Weiss! The Knight is smaller than anticipated, but you're still practicing. And it seems we have a discount Mystique Faunus whose a chameleon.

Ilia was more fixated on escaping with Sun's scroll instead of attacking either of them.

Sun may have photographed something the terrorist WFers don't want the chieftain of Menagerie seeing. Maybe they think a picture of a terrorist WF agent would be enough evidence for Ghira to go demand answers from Khan in person, and blow their cover?

On the one hand, I like the idea of Ilia easily obtaining her goal as a result of Blake refusing to listen to Sun better than them discovering Ilia because Blake just happened to chuck Sun's scroll in the right direction.

On the other hand, oi vey. If Ilia was actually there for the scroll and not for stalking Blake, that would mean Sun's dragging Blake straight back into the WF's spotlight by basing his investigation out of her family's house. Couldn't they just have them, like... have an actual conversation about this instead?

There's been many decent parent-child talky scenes, yet it feels like the main cast members paired together have barely spoken to each other outside banter and small talk. Jaune and Ruby haven't sat down and talked about Pyrrha despite Ruby seeing him grieving in the clearing. Blake and Sun don't seem to actually hear each other when they have arguments. Nora and Ren- well, Ren is Ren but who knows maybe they'll talk some while crossing the mountains.

It's very frustrating. Exploring the contrasting ideals of the characters were some of the high points in previous volumes, yet so far in vol 4 it feels like the only character who's really challenged a main cast member's core beliefs has been Taiyang. Qrow infodumping setting lore does not count.

Another observation:

Illia's physique continues a general trend of Faunus having secondary traits evoking their animal sides. Just as Blake is sleek, flexible, and has a seemingly comfortable feral stance, Illia is wiry, lithe, and angular? And her movements seem to be sort of slow and languid.

And as to the Maidens: well RT did admit they were a last minute adition by Monty he really wanted to make
Not an addition; an expansion.

Volume 2's intro featured both Pyrrha and Cinder with autumn leaves, and that volume also started began Pyrrha's collision course with Cinder. It's not a coincidence that Cinder relates Pyrrha's actions to fate/destiny, considering how Pyrrha brings that concept up in Volume 3 and then throws it in Cinder's face before she dies.

The Summer, Spring, and Winter Maidens might not have existed before Volume 3, but Amber very likely did.

Not an addition; an expansion.

Volume 2's intro featured both Pyrrha and Cinder with autumn leaves, and that volume also started began Pyrrha's collision course with Cinder. It's not a coincidence that Cinder relates Pyrrha's actions to fate/destiny, considering how Pyrrha brings that concept up in Volume 3 and then throws it in Cinder's face before she dies.

The Summer, Spring, and Winter Maidens might not have existed before Volume 3, but Amber very likely did.
Han Solo: "Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

You have no idea how much I hope that "Destiny" isn't actually a thing. Or maybe have someone like Jolee Bindo give his thoughts on destiny.

Come to think of it, the person Jolee Bindo is describing fits Pyrrha near the end of the season perfectly. Talking about "destiny," dying in a horrible way that seemingly accomplishes nothing, and changes the course of current events in a massive way completely unintentionally and unrelated to her accomplishments.

Last edited:
It feels like alot of the beats are off point.

Yang's fight was fine, just felt like it was underwhelming on all fronts.

Ren didn't really show enough of emotion for me to get the proper shock reaction. It wasn't he needed to do a lot, just actually emote.

The illia chase seemed clunky and the way it ended didn't do anything to help. It was...really dumb. I know it's supposed to be some emotional connection to Blake but in effect it seemed like what should have taken a few seconds took a full minute plus(just grab the damned datappad). Would have rather they grabbed it and then she traded back sun for it, probably wounding him so Blake couldn't follow.

Something someone pointed out was that despite both Taiyang and even Miles' commentary about Yang relying on her Semblance too much and thinking she was invincible, she doesn't actually use it all that much. She wasn't reckless, because once she saw Weiss get hurt she instantly focused, stopped chasing Neon ineffectively and started fighting tactically, focusing on destroying the arena to fuck up Neon's skating. AFAIK even when fighting Mercury her hair doesn't start glowing, the key activation of her Semblance.

I wonder if in-universe Tai legit doesn't know better and Miles is actually lying out of his ass (not the first time) or if we're looking too much into it and even though what we see on-screen doesn't match up, we're obviously meant to believe Taiyang.

Another problematic thing I hope they actually address is Taiyang talking about how Yang and Raven are similar... then immediately switching to how Raven broke up the team by leaving. He didn't expand on how they were different, and I can see that affecting Yang really bad; she's basically being told her team breaking up is her fault.

I'm not sure who has a worse home life, Weiss or Yang. Another thing they could bond over, which is why I ship it so hard.

You have no idea how much I hope that "Destiny" isn't actually a thing
Pyrrha thought of destiny as something she decided, and Cinder seemed to have the same idea when she said that Pyrrha took fate into her own hands.

Something someone pointed out was that despite both Taiyang and even Miles' commentary about Yang relying on her Semblance too much and thinking she was invincible, she doesn't actually use it all that much. She wasn't reckless, because once she saw Weiss get hurt she instantly focused, stopped chasing Neon ineffectively and started fighting tactically, focusing on destroying the arena to fuck up Neon's skating.
The problem is that Yang waited that long to smarten up. She wasn't taking the fight seriously enough until she was too close to losing.

Yang tried fighting Neon in the part of the arena where Neon was strongest, when Yang could have retreated and regrouped with Weiss in the fire-field where Neon couldn't follow.

Yang is smart, but she's fallen into the bad habit of fighting harder later, when she can use her boost, instead of fighting smarter first.*

She made the same mistake with Neo Politan. When hitting Neo failed to work, Yang didn't try something different, she just kept trying the same thing over and over, growing increasingly sloppy in her frustration. Then Neo KOed her before she activated her Semblance, and would have killed her if not for Raven.

Yang could have tried taking a defensive stance to try baiting Neo into the attack. The fight moved around so much, Yang might have made her way to the door Blake and Weiss went through, kept Neo away with long-range shots, and then stepped through, broke the door to jam it, and detach the car with Neo inside. At least Yang could have made a fighting retreat to regroup with Blake and Weiss when it should have been apparent that she couldn't beat Neo on her own.

* This is not a mistake she makes in the Yellow Trailer, as far as I can see. She took that fight, and her fight against Adam, completely seriously. It's just that Adam thoroughly outclassed her and she had no way of knowing how badly.

AFAIK even when fighting Mercury her hair doesn't start glowing, the key activation of her Semblance.
It doesn't glow against FNKI, either. It doesn't glow at ALL in the entire volume until she attacks Adam Taurus.

But against FNKI and Mercury, there are at least explosions of fire to tell us, "Okay, she's gone Super Saiyan now." I think the glow is missing because Rooster Teeth was cutting corners on animation.

Last edited:
Back