RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
They've had three seasons to get it right so far. That they're still working up to the last minute and making changes and basically doing things by the seat of their pants shows they still haven't learned, and probably won't.
Isn't quite a lot of anime made up to the last minute as well? To the best of my knowledge, that's why blu ray/dvd releases are often much higher quality than the broadcast versions.

Isn't quite a lot of anime made up to the last minute as well? To the best of my knowledge, that's why blu ray/dvd releases are often much higher quality than the broadcast versions.
But unlike those companies RT does not clean up anything of RWBY for DVD / Blu ray release IIRC. And those changes are mostly to minor flaws in animation.

Last edited:
But unlike those companies RT does not clean up anything of RWBY for DVD / Blu ray release IIRC. And those changes are mostly to minor flaws in animation.

RT does do some cleaning for release.

Also there was this little event that took place mid working on volume 3 that kind of changed the entire shows direction.

Subtle thing you know, you might have missed it.

RT does do some cleaning for release.

Also there was this little event that took place mid working on volume 3 that kind of changed the entire shows direction.

Subtle thing you know, you might have missed it.
Dude, it's been a year and three quarters and a volume and a half. They've had enough time to get their shit together. And even if they are still reeling from Monty's death, volumes 1 and 2 both had severe pacing issues, too. And Monty himself came up with the idea for the Maidens before volume 3 even started, as people are so eager to remind me when I mention that not-so-little plot point came out of nowhere.

It demeans Monty's memory to use his death as a scapegoat.

Dude, it's been a year and three quarters and a volume and a half. They've had enough time to get their shit together. And even if they are still reeling from Monty's death, volumes 1 and 2 both had severe pacing issues, too. And Monty himself came up with the idea for the Maidens before volume 3 even started, as people are so eager to remind me when I mention that not-so-little plot point came out of nowhere.

It demeans Monty's memory to use his death as a scapegoat.

I'm not using it as a scapegoat.

I'm pointing out there is a reason why it seems a little unfocused and perhaps while seasons 3 and 4 feel more coherent together then season 1-2

Except you are. RWBY had bad focus and terrible pacing and an actual tumor of a character even before Monty kicked the bucket. Clearly his death did not change things overly much.

That it still succeeded despite that is from the strength of the characters, and the potential of the world set out. Unfortunately, potential is just that. It doesn't matter if a show has all the potential in the world if it isn't taken advantage of.

Look, I like parts of RWBY. A lot of individual parts, actually. THat's why I still hang out in the Ideas threads, mostly, only stopping over to check in a thread like this when a new episode is released, because there is often at least one point of interest that is actually, y'know, interesting. Unfortunately, they aren't put together very well, making RWBY actually less than the sum of it's parts.

IMHO, anyway.

Last edited:
I'm still not convinced we *haven't* seen seen avian faunus. *cough* Qrow and Raven *cough*

Now granted the fact that human-faunus pairings generally result in faunus does decrease the probability of this given Yang but who knows.

I'm pretty sure transmogrification isn't something faunus can do. Likely a Branwen-exclusive ability, and as much as some fans would like to see Yang transform into some kind of bird I don't think it's likely.

Last edited:
That song did not sound like Weiss to me. Anyone else get the feeling she was lip syncing because the voice was so different?

Also I feel like the fights are starting to find their footing again. Though I would prefer less pauses and slow motion, more of a steady clip.

(Still think P-money vs crdn and the nevermore/scorpion fights were the best).

That song did not sound like Weiss to me. Anyone else get the feeling she was lip syncing because the voice was so different?

Also I feel like the fights are starting to find their footing again. Though I would prefer less pauses and slow motion, more of a steady clip.

(Still think P-money vs crdn and the nevermore/scorpion fights were the best).

Forgive me if I am mistaken but isn't Weiss the singer and regular Weiss two different people or does the actress have really good range?

Forgive me if I am mistaken but isn't Weiss the singer and regular Weiss two different people or does the actress have really good range?

I have no idea, but mirror mirror sounds like Weiss enough I can accept it has her singing voice. Think this was the same person but it didn't sound like Weiss to me, especially towards the end.

RWBY: Volume 4, World of Remnant: Faunus
So it seems the next WoR will be about the Schnee Dust Company, maybe now we will get some answers we have been asking ourselves about them
NOTE: Although it does say Faunus on the preview the episode description is for the Schnee Dust Company
The last one on Faunus also said SDC, so this error isn't surprising.

The timing is less than desirable, though.

If it's deliberate, then maybe only half of the next episode deals with Qrow and Tyrian, and the rest of it deals with the Schnees and the fallout from Weiss's outburst? Unless it's going to be providing us necessary context for a Weiss/Jacques confrontation, it would have been better placed before or after the Faunus WOR.

Heck, maybe that was the original plan, and thus what led to the name-swap error.

Last edited:
Guys, after the WoR we're getting an ep the week after. Christmas week episode ahoy!

(Pls be an interesting WoR to tide me over until then)

So what we can assume was the usual horde turned Mountain Glenn into a wasteland simply by doing what they do.

What single creature makes people scared enough that to abandon a city before it's even built, while leaving no real sign that it did much of anything?

[Discussion] Volume 4, World of Remnant: Schnee Dust Company
evilauthor said:
Yeah. Weiss' grandfather started out as a no name Dust miner who was something of a Renaissance man who studied everything he could including fighting.
I was going to say that he had knights, but I misheard. "He spent his days at combat school and his nights working with his father in the Dust mines."

His name was Nicholas.
So allusion to Santa and the color of nickle coins? Wait, except his symbol was brown like a penny?

Wait, what was that symbol, exactly? Maybe I don't understand it.

Which bashes my headcanon. With a hereditary semblance, I always figured the Schnees were some ancient noble lineage (when Mantle had nobles) that had been refining their Semblance for more than two or three generations. With this WoR, I'm now wondering if Nicholas found... something on that first Dust prospecting expedition that "fixed" his Semblance so that it could be passed on to his descendants.
Nicholas had a wife, didn't he? If Jacques could marry his way into a family with a hereditary Semblance, so could Nicholas.

Especially if that brown symbol was his personal emblem. Notice also that his character is portrayed as big and brown, whereas his daughter is slender and white, just like her daughters?

Turns out that the SDC does currently have a mining town in Vacuo, in the frozen south-eastern area. Definitely not in the old capital area.

Also turns out that people were SOMEHOW right about the SDC being a near-total global monopoly. There are probably other Dust mines in the world not under their control, but the SDC has several mining towns on Sanus and Anima.

And mining towns can run on company script.

Last edited:
So allusion to Santa and the color of nickle coins? Wait, except his symbol was brown like a penny?

He was born before the great war, I think. Deceased now so that doesn't violate the Ozpin is the exception rule.

Edit: Misheard, this is wrong.

Last edited:
Well, that preview was... underwhelming. What little we saw of the fighting was very generic. So much for the hope that RWBY's fights would get better at the 1v1 level.

Back