RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
So someone on Reddit received their copy of the Volume 3 Blu-ray and transcribed a rough impression of the directors' commentary. There's some neat stuff in there, but the most interesting tidbit to me is that the entire Maiden plot (as perceived by astute viewers here and elsewhere) was conceived sometime between Volumes 2 and 3 by Monty, and thus developed for Volume 3. It's really fascinating to wonder how the Volume would've turned out had that not come together. Perhaps Ruby's silver eyes would've more immediately taken the fore (which are now clearly a separate thing from the Maiden powers--Qrow wasn't just obfuscating the truth from her)?
Here are the pictures:

"there were several different things penny was going to say when her eyes dilate... Mile's personal favorite was her saying 'but why?'"
Jesus christ.

these writers subsist entirely off of despair.

"there were several different things penny was going to say when her eyes dilate... Mile's personal favorite was her saying 'but why?'"
Jesus christ.

these writers subsist entirely off of despair.
Well yeah, did you skip they part where they recorded their animators crying, or you know, anything Miles has put out over the last year or two.

Goddamn I've still not gotten over the end of RVB13.

Well, at least we know now why the Maiden plot seemed like it came out of nowhere in Volume 3. :V

Surprisingly, the child of the professional assassin has one of the darker backstories in the show. Who would have expected that?

And now I'm just wondering what the original product was going to have been like, if the stuff about the Maiden plot above and the earlier statements made around the time of the season finale about how the Fall of Beacon was originally going to be at the end of Volume 1 were right. Certainly seems like a lot.

It's not like it's more than Crunchyroll has natively, so... eh. It's free, I count the release date as the free release date, my schedule for watching it moves back a week at most... *shrugs*
Try to be mellow, I guess?

I'm a sponsor, and I find the one week delay a bit too much. I'm fine with a one day delay, despite that not working for Achievement Hunter's main videos, IE, GTA and Minecraft, for the past few weeks. The maximum delay I feel fine with as a sponsor is 3-4 days, due to that being established with Death Battle over on ScrewAttack. I also feel it puts too much pressure on the animators, because I can GUARANTEE there will be some animation thing that doesn't look good for the sponsor release, but come community release, it will look amazing. It feels like they're using us as a testing ground, and the community will get a superior product.

RWBY is still a free show and RT needs to make money in order to function.
The question is how many people are going to actually fork over the money for the sponsorship, or just resort to other methods such as pirating or sharing accounts. People take the path of least resistance. And finally, how much damage will it do to a community that will inevitably be divided?
It's not like it's more than Crunchyroll has natively, so... eh. It's free, I count the release date as the free release date, my schedule for watching it moves back a week at most... *shrugs*
Try to be mellow, I guess?
It's nice you think that.

I'm pretty sure it was in the live stream commentary they provided before the finale. I'll have to get back to you on that.
Thanks I appreciate that :)

The question is how many people are going to actually fork over the money for the sponsorship, or just resort to other methods such as pirating or sharing accounts. People take the path of least resistance. And finally, how much damage will it do to a community that will inevitably be divided?
To me, none of that makes RT the jerks in this situation, it makes the other people jerks who can't be trusted. As a sponsor who only signed up to support RT, I did not know about the day early stuff until partway through signing up. In truth, I can 'sort' of get why people would be upset about the week delay and can see why spoiler filled discussion would be annoying, and to those who genuinely cannot afford sponsorship and or do not want to reveal their credit card details I do indeed sympathise with, not so much for everyone else who just doesn't want to pay for an otherwise free show. RT aren't Santa, they need to make money somehow and no matter what decision they made it was always going to get people's hackles raised because its lessening what they had in one way or another despite being necessary and or reasonable.

To me, none of that makes RT the jerks in this situation, it makes the other people jerks who can't be trusted.
The way they "joked" about smug spoilers was rather ill-informed, as it tainted the way people are viewing this announcement. I've seen a fair amount of people feel like they were being pressured to buy a sponsorship under the threat of spoilers.

Anyway, I've held off watching Gargantia because of this discussion. I haven't at all watched the majority of RWBY season 3. Kept up with the discussions and read the transcripts and summaries, yes, watch the full episode when they release, no. Whatever RT does with the sponsor delay doesn't affect me at all.

The way they "joked" about smug spoilers was rather ill-informed, as it tainted the way people are viewing this announcement. I've seen a fair amount of people feel like they were being pressured to buy a sponsorship under the threat of spoilers.

Anyway, I've held off watching Gargantia because of this discussion. I haven't at all watched the majority of RWBY season 3. Kept up with the discussions and read the transcripts and summaries, yes, watch the full episode when they release, no. Whatever RT does with the sponsor delay doesn't affect me at all.
I didn't watch the announcement so I can't really comment on whether they handled it well or not, regardless as an idea in terms of business practices I refuse to see it as scummy. To me scummy would be restricting ha;f the content to sponsors only forever rather than asking people wait a week for something free, the former of which I know many sites that do that.

Back