RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
First thought with this episode was, "damn, now my OCs will look derivative"
is that weird?

Edit: Actually fuck it, I've been sitting on these long enough and I don't see a better place to infodump these.

Captain: Gavin
Weapon: Modular Armor compensates for below-average aura defense (poor against armor-piercing attacks, but excellent against slashes) while acting as a mounting point for numerous weapons including retracting blades, spike launchers, wires, and his signature piston. Resembles cut-down plate armor.
Semblance: Weight Manipulation (contact). Low raw power prevents suspension or gravity attacks; however high control allows for full mobility in armor, changes in weight distribution, and hindering enemy grapples.
Style: Melee focused style based on unconventional weapon placement and variable center of gravity. Flexible movements and versatile attacks allow Gavin to flow through enemy defenses and strike weak points with impunity. Projectiles impede enemy attack and create openings for approach. His seemingly unnatural movements in combat earn him the nickname "Mannequin".
Utility Skills: Long-term planning, lateral thinking, morale.
Team Role: Tank
Best canon match-up: Blake, few armor piercing attacks, weapon focused on medium-range.
Worst canon match-up: Nora, high damage at range and melee, grenades difficult to dodge.
Character Notes: Friendly and easygoing on the outside, scheming sonofabitch on the inside. In another life he'd make a good spy.

Richter
Weapon: Meteor Hammer, central grip allows cable to be reeled in or extended up to 30ft in combat, as well as replacing damaged cable segments or altering total length based on environment. Each head can store 1 dust cartridge or collapse to form a secondary grip. Small vents on the surface of each head allow dust to be detonated without destroying the weapon. No dedicated projectile.
Semblance: Can convert kinetic energy into other types of energy. Inertia from a weapon or unarmed motion can be expended to create bursts of light, superheat objects, increase a substance's volatility (chemical energy), and the like. Semblance is less effective against incoming energy sources, but can catch enemies off guard.
Style: 90% of Richter's time in a fight consists of building and maintaining momentum for a single, devastating, strike. This naturally means he prefers wide open spaces, but advanced techniques do allow him to work indoors and perform deceptively precise attacks. In a pinch Richter can partially expend his inertia as heat to weaken enemies or light to disorient them. But his semblance's main use comes from chemical energy, either on the environment as a "blow shit up button", or on the dust cartridges to enhance their destructive power. The noise emitted from a fully-charged dust attack earn him the nickname "Shockwave".
Utility Skill: Walking Encyclopedia
Team Role: DPS
Best canon match-up: Yang(?), one-shot her to prevent semblance use, use feints to keep distance.
Worst canon match-up: Pyrrha, can kite with projectiles and use Semblance on cable to shut down offense.
Character Notes: Huge Dork, but can be surprisingly zen when things get tense.

Nadine
Weapon: Large collection of identical, double-edged blades. When attached to one of two hilts they can be used as conventional daggers. Holding down the trigger on a hilt will ignite solid propellant packed into a hollow in each blade, launching the blade like a gyrojet as the tang forms a nozzle. Alternatively tapping the hilt trigger causes all propellant to ignite simultaneously, causing the blade to explode. Reinforcement on the hilts directs the explosion and shrapnel away from the user, though they can certainly harm opponents, especially if the blade is embedded in something. Side-mounted sheaths allow for quick blade replacement.
Semblance: Nadine can perceive her surroundings within 200m from any angle, though certain obstacles (namely buildings) interfere with this. This also allows her to aim jumps, dodges, and ballistic knives near-instinctively.
Style: Hit-and-run style based on maintaining mobility at all times, heavy acrobatics. Primarily uses ballistic knives with her semblance to hit easy targets while staying on the move. Should an opportunity present itself she may drop in for close combat, though blade detonations are reserved for dire situations or weak spots on major enemies. For both the style of her sneak attacks, and the wounds left on Grimm from blade detonations, she holds the nickname "Talon".
Utility Skill: Improvisation
Team Role: Scout/Skirmisher
Best canon match-up: Nora, movement style ideal against grenades, can kite with projectiles.
Worst canon match-up: Weiss, fast melee attacks, glyphs can hinder kiting.
Character Notes: Rogue with a big heart, usually the first to assist Gavin in mischief.

Second in Command: Teresa
Weapon: Halberd, can shoot burning fuel (or sticky fluid for training) either as a spray or as pressurized globs for superior range. Special fuel formulation for long duration, and high intensity.
Semblance: Hydrokinesis???
Style: Highly defensive style using reserved movement alongside precise, calculated strikes. Uses fire attacks to control ground, IE herding large opponents into kill-boxes or preventing groups from leveraging their numbers. Her ability to win some fights without taking a single step earns her the nickname "Bulwark"
Utility Skill: Tactician, both in planning allies and predicting enemies.
Team Role: Crowd Control, Support.
Best canon match-up: Ren, use wide-swings and fire to shut down mobility and prevent close attacks.
Worst canon match-up: Yang, superior durability and melee power allow for brute-force attacks.
Character Notes: Friendly interactions often have the subtext of "in case one of us gets killed, say, tomorrow"; this should tell you plenty about her mindset (more fatalistic than neurotic, mind). In charge of reining in Gavin's loftier designs.
Damn, I didn't realize how much of this I had figured out.

Last edited:
As some days may happen that a victim must be found,
Cinder has a little list, Cinder has a little list
of society defenders who may very well be renowned
who certainly would be missed - they certainly would be missed.

Just popped into my head thanks to every talking about "the list"

Sorry to double post but after a mention on the AfterBuzz on the most recent episode I checked the episode again and the rest of Team SSSN (Sun) has arrived at Beacon.

Watch at 6:20 and you see Sun and Neptune standing with two more guys that look a lot like the images of Scarlet and Sage we have.

Yeah, I noticed them the first time around. I was disappointed we didn't get their first speaking scenes. I want to know what they're LIKE.

Wait a second. How the hell is the floor on that classroom still intact? Cardin sent huge chunks of stone flying every time he struck the ground both with his mace and his head. And this was the last fight of the day, the ones before that were probably also pretty destructive. And they most likely have sparring matches like this almost every weekday. Are the floor infused earth magic type dust that grants regenerative abilities or something? o_O

MAGIC NANOMACHINES AURA/DUST BITCHES
;)

Actually re-watching the cafeteria scene more closely Glynda's wand waving makes the cracks and stains created by the Red Tornado vanish without a trace so it seems that her abilities does extend to repairing stuff and not just putting it back in place.

No wonder she's in charge of combat classes, the classroom wouldn't last a day without her. :D

Edit:
Weiss and Yang are going to be playing during the dance. I wonder what sort of amazing song we're going to get? :)

And finally we get to see Weiss demonstrate her singing skills in the show itself! :cool:

Last edited:
Someone needs to take that Touhou list of plot devices ("templates like that are forbidden"), and replace it with something like:

1. Aura.
2. Roman's shady new Dust.
3. Fooling around with Semblances.
4. It's a White Fang conspiracy.

Admit it, if you know Touhou, then you must have thought Yang was similar to Marisa at one point or another.

Also, from danbooru, where I found that image (though it was originally from deviantArt IIRC), there was a comment that Yang is if Marisa and Goku had a child. That comment was posted a year ago.

Back