RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
So that was a thing.

Not too happy with Ruby's powers. And the way they cut away until the situation was resolved. Though if the "she inherited the old man's powers" theory is correct then at least that's one explanation I could live with.

I do like team JNRR going forth though. And the end song.

I thought qrow said they were heading to Haven and there didnt seem to be implied Cinder was dead in that

No RUBY just woke up Yang has been awake for awhile Ruby was in a coma basically from the power.
As for Blake we know where she is Ruby doesnt and literally has no clues its probably less a case of not wanting to find blake and more a case of she has no clue where to start.
Weiss on the other hand we know is in her fathers care and we didnt see if she tried to call her or not. It can simply be shown next season with Ruby trying to call weiss and getting blocked that fixs your issue without changing anything.

Its also been at least a month since Fall leaves are happening and when Ruby leaves its winter we dont know what has happened in that time frame. So you are honestly just assuming things.

Here is what we DO know.
1. Ruby has been out for a couple of days.
2. Blake has run off and no one on team RWBY knows where
3. Weiss has been taken by her father back to Atlas
4. Vale is a no go because the dragon is still there attracting grim
5. Haven is the only clue ruby has.
6. Yang is very NOT okay

The problem with your stuff is not all of your questions have been answered a lot have been. EDIT
fixing mistakes
For sake of argument, let's say you're right on all points. We still should have been shown some of it. Given a few episodes (at least a single entire episode) for things to sink in, to simmer or whatever metaphor you want to use. But instead it's immediately off to the next objective. Again, Miles and Kerry really need to learn pacing. It's been three volumes. There's trusting your audience to get subtlety, and then there's not showing a damn thing

and @Private Lee O'Malley, more like "sub-par job Miles and Kerry." Or maybe par. This episode is pretty consistent with their quality.

Last edited:
For sake of argument, let's say you're right on all points. We still should have been shown some of it. Given a few episodes (at least a single entire episode) for things to sink in, to simmer or whatever metaphor you want to use. But instead it's immediately off to the next objective. Again, Miles and Kerry really need to learn pacing. It's been three volumes. There's trusting your audience to get subtlety, and then there's not showing a damn thing
Since this wont involve spoilers I am not going to use the tags.
I think they are using Pacing just not SHOW pacing instead they are using Real Life pacing its going to be a while till the next season I am unsure how long.
So they may want us to think about it to reflect on it the fact a lot of questions still arent answered and as things are we have even more ones.
Ones next season will either address or bring up. They may not even be resolved next season I know from a stream Burnie talked about them introducing people in later seasons and I was given the impression it was 5 or more.
So we may be looking at a VERY long styled show where they are trying to have material spaced out and are intentionally not address things so they can do so later.
Especially since some of those things you have brought up become more sharper and remind the audience of things when they get addressed and we can look back and see little hints that we completely overlooked.

an example of this on the weiss thing is if its not addressed right away we see Ruby messing with her phone on and off. Seems like nothing until a couple episodes in we find weiss looking at her phone with over 5,000 missed calls.
In that case they Miles and Kerry dont have to tell us anything the simple actions overlooked but expressed through the episodes show us details. As for Blake have it where when ruby sees a Cat faunus she perks up then deflates when she realizes its not Blake again it doesnt tell us anything but shows us lots.
Another example is Jaune having Pyrrha's tiara him just having it tells us things and it doesnt take them talking about it just being there in his possessions when he packs up from camping.

Sometimes pacing doesnt need to be actual episodes sometimes it just needs little hints that we overlook until it smacks us in the face to change our whole view on things.

EDIT
and thinking on it this season bar the ending probably hasnt been very long it starts in the middle of the tournament chances are good the actual time frame of this season is maybe a week maybe even less it may in fact only be 2 or 3 days.
So our sense of time maybe messed up because of the weekly release making it seem like more time has gone by.

Last edited:
Ok, having spent the past few hours in a fugue while I was meant to be doing other things, I tried to pin down what hit me so hard about this episode over others - other than the fucking over a year wait til Volume 4 grr - and after some thought I nailed it down to the shattering of team RWBY.

See, even with Penny's death, or Yang's arm being cut off, or all the rest of it they were together and supporting each other. Now they're - well, shattered is putting it very lightly, to the extent that I wonder how much we'll get of WBY in Volume 4, and whether they'll ever have the same team cohesiveness again. And while I think this is a strong narrative device, maybe even representing the way the Kingdoms are likely falling apart from each other, I think this is a step too far too quick. Miles said on the stream that one of the main themes of the show is finding light in darkness, but there's seldom a spark to find here. Sure, have them broken and aching and cracked, but I think having it so all trust and love between them is gone (and yes, it totally is: Yang was sitting in the same position when Ruby left as when she and Ruby talked - had she even ever gotten out of bed? - Blake running away because that's her flaw, Weiss' fucking dad fuck fuck) is way way too far.

I don't know. I just - I just want RWBY, the team, to be ok again. And even if their issues are resolved in the very first episode of Volume 4, which would be super irritating, it's still over a year's wait away.

Also, to people saying Ruby's superpowers weren't foreshadowed: you're kidding, right? Silver eyes, the simple soul comments and Volume 1 themesong, her mother being called Summer Rose and Ozpin letting her in two years early...I kinda wanted the foreshadowing to be wrong, because it is a little too Deus Ex Machina for my tastes, but it's not like we couldn't see it coming

Speaking of "Victory is in a simple soul," I've got one word: bullshit. Victory doesn't come from a "simple soul." Victory comes from mysterious old men giving magic powers, victory comes from asspull powers out of nowhere, victory comes from everything except a simple soul.

Compare RWBY to Naruto

Naruto to Negi:

FATE DOESN"T EXIST FIGHT HARD AND MAKE YOUR OWN DESTINY

-Naruto was fucking DESTINED to save the World all along because Lol Reincarnation-

Minimal spoilers, so not spoiled. As for actual spoilers,

@hellgodsrus you're kidding, right? If Ruby was a Maiden that would be one thing. But apparently Ruby and Summer are something completely different than the Maidens. It's one thing for Ruby to secretly be a Maiden. It's a whole different thing for there to be another breed of super soldier with absolutely no foreshadowing[/spoilers]

Last edited:
I guess I might as well share my reaction and thoughts on it.

Since when did this turn into DBZ?

Since now!

IT TOOK THREE VOLUMES!
FOR PYRRHA TO FINALLY DO IT!

SHE FINALLY DID IT!

MAGNETISM STRONG!
WHAT'S WITH CINDER AND HER FINAL BOSS POSE STATUS?

CINDER STRONK FINAL BOSS

Holy shit Pyrrha's doing better than I thought.

She is the invincible girl after all!

She's Discount Magneto.
Which is still quite powerful!

The best discount magneto!

Wow. She did a LOT better than I expected her to.
In the heel! This is what happens when you set off Death Flags Pyrrha!

The Achilles heel!

Ruby trauma YES! UNLEASH YOUR POWER RUBY! TRAUMA MAKES YOU STRONGER!

BUT PYRRHA IS DEAD

"WHAT?!" Even Cinder's fucking surprised by this. XD

DEEEEEAD

Holy shit this is only 10 minutes in.

It was satisfying to see her lose her cool for once.

DID RUBY DESTROY THE CCT?
TAIYANG EXISTS OUTSIDE OF A CARDBOARD CUTOUT? And is it me, or do Ruby's eyes look darker than before?

And voiced by Burnie!
I noticed that too. Probably a result of her powers literally exploding.

Did Ruby freeze the dragon in time?

Maybe? It's kinda just there

IS RUBY THE WINTER MAIDEN?
Pyrrha dead GURL.

Toasty pls
My heart is already pierced

Blake ran off like a bitch. What a pussy.

Ha

Oh. TEENAGE YANGST!
Oh hey. Jaune's still relevant.
Holy shit narrator. That got dark fast.

Really freaking dark!

Oh hey Wicked Witch.
I guess this is Ozpin's sister?
Oh yes. This awesome credit music. I LOVE it.
So...Is Cinder dead?

I don't think so
She didn't disintegrate like P-Money did

Fuck you post credit scene. Don't you dare imply that Qrow can turn into a bird.

And then many many distasteful jokes were made. I liked the episode. Some may complain about it, but I say meh to those complaints.

Last edited:
I guess I might as well share my reaction and thoughts on it.

Since when did this turn into DBZ?

Since now!

IT TOOK THREE VOLUMES!
FOR PYRRHA TO FINALLY DO IT!

SHE FINALLY DID IT!

MAGNETISM STRONG!
WHAT'S WITH CINDER AND HER FINAL BOSS POSE STATUS?

CINDER STRONK FINAL BOSS

Holy shit Pyrrha's doing better than I thought.

She is the invincible girl after all!

She's Discount Magneto.
Which is still quite powerful!

The best discount magneto!

Wow. She did a LOT better than I expected her to.
In the heel! This is what happens when you set off Death Flags Pyrrha!

The Achilles heel!

Ruby trauma YES! UNLEASH YOUR POWER RUBY! TRAUMA MAKES YOU STRONGER!

BUT PYRRHA IS DEAD

"WHAT?!" Even Cinder's fucking surprised by this. XD

DEEEEEAD

Holy shit this is only 10 minutes in.

It was satisfying to see her lose her cool for once.

DID RUBY DESTROY THE CCT?
TAIYANG EXISTS OUTSIDE OF A CARDBOARD CUTOUT? And is it me, or do Ruby's eyes look darker than before?

And voiced by Burnie!
I noticed that too. Probably a result of her powers literally exploding.

Did Ruby freeze the dragon in time?

Maybe? It's kinda just there

IS RUBY THE WINTER MAIDEN?
Pyrrha dead GURL.

Toasty pls
My heart is already pierced

Blake ran off like a bitch. What a pussy.

Ha

Oh. TEENAGE YANGST!
Oh hey. Jaune's still relevant.
Holy shit narrator. That got dark fast.

Really freaking dark!

Oh hey Wicked Witch.
I guess this is Ozpin's sister?
Oh yes. This awesome credit music. I LOVE it.
So...Is Cinder dead?

I don't think so
She didn't disintegrate like P-Money did

Fuck you post credit scene. Don't you dare imply that Qrow can turn into a bird.

And then many many distasteful jokes were made. I liked the episode. Some may complain about it, but I say meh to those complaints.

I liked that you used blue for my text :D

on one hand I am hoping she is alive but on the other hand.

THIS would be kind of awesome for Jaune. and EXTREMELY creepy if you know Owari No seraph guern and mahiru.

Ruby's handwriting is horrendous.

And don't say anything about Remnant using a different alphabet, the Old Man with Many Jobs has shops whose signs are in English.

Dear god that episode. Ruby's powers came a bit out of nowhere, but honestly I'm more sore on not seeing her fight Cinder.

So Vale is safe. My prediction there didn't come true, but I didn't predict Ruby having OP inheritable powers either, so yeah, that kind of interfered with whatever might have led to Vale's downfall.

Taiyang is pretty cool.

Also... Blake. I'm pretty sure she ran away because she felt guilty over Yang getting hurt, and as a result wanted to distance herself from everyone to prevent them from suffering any further injury. Which is probably the worst thing she could have ever done. It's broken what little unity the team had left. Adam's goal was to isolate her, and he succeeded.
Not that I blame her or forgive her, but I understand.

ROOSTERTEETH GIVE ME YOUR SOUNDTRACK NOW!!!

Remember when it was a mild but common complaint that nobody ever got hurt despite all the swordfighting?

I wonder if they'll do the same with bullets...

I like the direction RWBY's tone is going. I used to treat it like mindless action fodder to fill up my spare time, and I had no favourite because everyone were cool kids with cool costumes and cool powers. Now I have a couple of definite favourites and I really feel invested in what's happening. :'D If they tried to lighten the mood now I'd feel it would be inappropriate.

For a second, I thought the Grimm Lady was the Winter Maiden, then I referenced their art.
Not the same, although similar hairdo. Probably no connection.

"From dust man was born, and it is to dust he will return."

Anyways I just got up to speed on things. If there was a "WHAT." button, I think we'd all have destroyed it by now.

Last edited:
Having watched the episode again I think Tai was speaking metaphorically when he said that Ruby 'froze' the DraGrimm. Rather, whatever she did, managed to pummel it back into dormancy.*

In which case Cinder is probably not frozen/dead.

On the other hand, I really do hope Pyrra stays dead. And that if Ruby is the next Maiden, like anyone would be surprised by that, it only comes to fruition at the end of the series after prying that power from Cinders cold dead, or possibly still smoldering, hands.

* So my present theory about Silver Eyes is that they simply allow their inheritors to unlock the fullest limits of their semblance. People have been calling Ruby's semblance a 'speed' one but it may be that it's actually dilating time in some way. In which case, Ruby might have used her own semblance in reverse on the dragon. 'Freezing' in time rather than ice. Of course Ruby can't go infinitely fast, so it stands to reason she can't bring time to full stop either, even maxing out her semblance, which means the time lock will break eventually.

Last edited:
Having watched the episode again I think Tai was speaking metaphorically when he said that Ruby 'froze' the DraGrimm. Rather, whatever she did, managed to pummel it back into dormancy. Hence why it hasn't dissolve. It's not dead. But it's not active either. For now.
Probably. I doubt that her new power is time manipulation...

Probably. I doubt that her new power is time manipulation...

It could be. All we know about Ruby's semblance is that it makes her go fast. She might be doing that through time dilation shenanigans or she might not. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but physics in Remnant is tangential at best. But as long as it has hard limits and doesn't give her time travel I could see it working.

Last edited:
Back