RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
I don't know. I'm worried that this might mean it won't be shown in the show.
They said a while back that while they wouldn't necessarily have an episode every week, they were going to make sure to produce content every week, and keep it a consistent length. I assume they're working on the next episode(s), and taking it slow by doing a Q&A setting info panel this time.

I've never known so little about a world as densely constructed as RWBY. It's honestly about time we got some more explanation about the world at large, although ultimately it's the characters I care about.

There is a RWBY livestream going on right now. You can view it on either the Rooster Teeth site, or on YouTube.

I think that Neo is one of the people who fuse dust with their bodies, like the remnant thing mentioned.

So, we know know that there are four basic Dust elements, with more complex combinations possible, and we've seen their crystals:

Based on what we were shown, and what Weiss said back in Episode 2 ("fire, water, lightning, energy"), I think the elements are fire, water/ice, lightning, and... air?

The follow-up livestream also answered some questions. Ryuugi posted his own notes (on SB), as well as eunoshin's:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/14993908/
Ryuugi said:
Cross posting from the other thread, just some things I copied down as I was listening to the livestream:

Kingdoms are 'tentatively' Vale, Atlas, Vacuo, and Mistral.

Sun's team (SSSN) is Team Sun.

Semblances can be similar between parent and child, but not because of genetics; more because you get a lot of stuff from your childhood and being raised by them.

Humans and Faunus can interbreed.

A lot of technology, as we figured, is powered by dust, including cars.

Many kinds of Faunus. Can be more than just mammals and rarer Faunus exist. Not always easily apparent traits. Unique traits.

"Are dust supplies limited?" Dun dun dun. It's mined, btw.

Rwby has a metal plate/magnet holster. Blake has a backpack thing, too.

Jaune has a secret symbol under his armor. A true symbol.

The Moon will be important.

There are schools besides Beacon that specialize in other professions, like colleges, but the Hunter schools are the cream of the crop for combat stuff.

Next history episodes are after 7 and after 10.

If Locus (?) fought Roman, Roman would win? Unless Felix was there? And Polomo? No idea what this is about.

Rudy and Yang played a lot of boardgames all their lives, Weiss just chess, there are rules for the boardgames because the writers spent half a day making them before remembering they had jobs.

Blake is a bit obsessed in this arc.

Blake might listen through her cat ears instead of her human ears.

Does religion exist? Yes, but may not come up soon.

Everything that's alive has Aura.

Neo is Roman's right hand woman.
eunoshin:
World / In Universe As is:
  • 4 Continents: Vale, Vacuo, Mantle, Mistral
  • 4 Schools: Beacon - Vale, Mantle - Atlas, Mistral - Haven, Vacuo — They didn't say straight out. Oasis? Shade? The gist was something used to hide from the sun.
  • We will at the very least be seeing Vacuo later - possibly going there as part of the story
  • They again mentioned Menagerie, but didn't specify quite what it was
  • Sun's team is pronounced as "SUN" - assuming "SSSN" is correct order
  • Human / Faunus can breed together "Maybe we've already seen them" - Monty
  • Faunus are not limited to just mammalian kinds. "There's definitely a rarity to things" - Kerry
  • "Sometimes faunus traits aren't super apparent"
  • "Is dust a limited resource?" - Possibly to become a plot point. Possibly hinted at in RWBY History lesson. Dust is definitely mined.
  • How does Ruby's weapon attach to her? - Magnets
  • The Old Dust Guy is always happy
  • Are semblances hereditary? "I think they can be similar" - Monty. Hinted at the representation of a semblance being influenced by your upbringing, perhaps
  • Moon will be important at some point
  • There are other types of schools besides those for hunters/huntresses. Hinting of them appearing at end of volume 2, possibly as police / military training, Hunter academies "cream of the crop"
  • hazleapricot's take on Blake: "Obsessed with getting done what she wants to get done."
  • "Cinder is older than most of the kids we see on Team RWBY and at Beacon" - Miles. Still likened her to being like a senior in age — probably early 20's?
  • "Does religion exist in the world of RWBY?" — Yes, but it may or may not be discussed, may or may not be different from our world's
  • "Do other animal species have an aura?" - Yes
  • Juane labeling his shoes is a totally canon thing
Notes about the Production
  • Neptune was originally slated to be on a different team. He was swapped out with a different "N" so that he could be used now.
  • Monty was inspired to come up with team combos from watching The Hobbit
  • Juane's symbol appears to be deliberately hidden from showing what it really is. Or they were fucking with us - Gray at least said that at some point, he saw it unobstructed and was surprised.
  • Continent shapes — Monty squirted ketchup onto a napkin and bunched it up. Everything looking like dragons is a coincidence
  • There will be another history lesson (Possibly another Q&A?) after Chapters 7 and 10. Each of these will be a break after a particular arc or section.
  • They mentioned something about the "Inspiration for Weiss' agility", but then didn't really continue the topic
  • Kerry recorded Neptune before he did any recording for Palomo in RvB12
  • Arryn guesses that Blake uses her cat ears for actual listening.
  • It seemed like they haven't 100% finalized a name for Cinder's group. "CREM" may still be the right ballpark
  • From what they said, there may be further Juane/Neptune interaction in the future. or maybe Kerry and Miles were just talking about trading spots in the booth.
  • Original plan was to have 2 Volumes to a season, with a shorter break between. At this point, for all intents and purposes a volume IS THE SAME as a season.
  • On Neo - "There came a need for Torchwick to have a right hand woman." - Monty
  • Production for Volume 2 began December 5, 2013
  • Principal Animation for Volume 2 began in March (at the very least, that's when the last of the animators came on board)
  • On easter eggs: Dude with glasses on White Fang mask ("Keep looking for that" — not sure of meaning), and a "Free bird" / "Freebirds" guy
  • From Dustin — There is added boob jiggle this season because they are now using an actual / new physics engine. from RAW, the results or ludicrous. They are working on toning it down.
  • Daniel — Loves working in the sound of bowling pins striking (Ch. 1)
DVDs / Merch / Misc.
  • Gray says that 1v1, Torchwick would beat Locus. He would not win against Locus and Felix working together.
  • RTX 2014 RWBY panel likely included on BluRay extra features. Possibly also 2013 one.
  • A lot of RT merchandise is currently on hold because of dock worker strikes on the west coast. This is why the Yang figurine came so late.
  • So far 4 planned DVD commentary tracks for volume 4 - Creative Team, Animation team, Technical team, Cast
  • Several Animators talked about wanting a Penny plush. Gray spoke several times about setting up a poll for desired Merch
Animation / Technical Team Brief intros and Stuff they've worked on
  • Austin Hardwick — Lot of Penny stuff, Ch. 3 chase scene
  • Dustin - Boardgame (Ch. 2), jiggle effects
  • Harly / Harley - Weiss in dorm room (Ch. 2), Ch. 3 Neptune on balcony, Club scene Ch. 4
  • Joel - Newest animator, worked Ch. 5 on so we haven't seen his work yet
  • Bill - Ch 1,3,4, crowd scene (Ch. 1 establishing shots), an upcoming "Girly Weiss scene"
  • Joe - Cafeteria scene, possibly the White Fang rally?
  • Ian: Ch 3,7,9,11, sequence inside the Communication Tower
  • Jeff - Technical director, lighting with Gray
  • Paco - Missed his role, sorry. At the very least, works with Jeff
  • Cesar - kaisergeiser, 3d Modeler, Ozpin's office, Tucson's shop, works with Tim, Reed,
  • Dennis
  • Daniel - Editor, Sound designer
  • Maggie - Production coordinator
  • Alex - Renderer, modeling, helps Paco. Made Blake's ribbon in Vol. 1
  • Of course Patrick Rodriguez, but he wasn't on the stream

Last edited:
So, that part about humans weaving dust into clothing....

Do you think Adam is using that, in conjunction with the standard dust cartridges in his katana-gun? I mean, when he was using his super move on the train, his mask did start to glow.

Do you think Adam is using that, in conjunction with the standard dust cartridges in his katana-gun? I mean, when he was using his super move on the train, his mask did start to glow.

I suspect that Adam's one of the ones to incorporate Dust into his body.

He... seems like the type to go that far.

Adam and Cinder strike me as the most likely to use the more arcane methods to manipulate dust - they're radicals with extreme agendas, so risky and arcane methods would follow.

Velvet could be keeping raw dust crystals in the infamous box.

Weiss might be trained to use multiple methods due to having access to tons of dust. Blake meanwhile might use a minimal amount, since she's from a terrorist organization that probably had limited resources. It'd be funny if Adam had been trigger-happy, though.

Blake: Adam, what about our Dust supply?
Adam: What about it?
Blake: [cat scowl intensifies]

Of course, I get the feeling that if anyone is going to use weird and unorthodox combinations of Dust, it'll be Winter. Time, Money, Talent, and too many Resources will probably mean shes' a high-level spellcaster or something.

Clothing weave dust thing is definitely Glynda. Her Cape? Certainly looks and acts like it.

Last edited:
Just realized, we have four kinds of dust, and four person teams. This could be the reason behind the four man squads.

So I just marathoned everything up to S2E4 with a roommate, but I'm looking around and I can't seem to find Episode 5 anywhere even though it's after Thursday. Was there a gap in the release schedule or something?

So I just marathoned everything up to S2E4 with a roommate, but I'm looking around and I can't seem to find Episode 5 anywhere even though it's after Thursday. Was there a gap in the release schedule or something?
This week was a break week. Episode 5 will be up next Thursday. This week, we got a video that's the first in a world building series known as World of Remnant.

So, we know know that there are four basic Dust elements, with more complex combinations possible, and we've seen their crystals:

Based on what we were shown, and what Weiss said back in Episode 2 ("fire, water, lightning, energy"), I think the elements are fire, water/ice, lightning, and... air?
I'm guessing the ones that Weiss mentioned are the most commonly used dust, not the four basic dusts which can be combined to make pretty much any type of effect.

Traditional four element things are fire water earth and wind, the shapes in the picture pretty much give them away. Fire is shaped like the flame on top of a candle, water is a water drop, earth is a chunk of mineral and wind is shaped like a gust.

Before you say the brown one has yellow lightning bolts in them, if it was actually lightning you would think they would make the thing into the shape of a lightning bolt to fit the theme the first two have clearly done.

I'm guessing the ones that Weiss mentioned are the most commonly used dust, not the four basic dusts which can be combined to make pretty much any type of effect.

Traditional four element things are fire water earth and wind, the shapes in the picture pretty much give them away. Fire is shaped like the flame on top of a candle, water is a water drop, earth is a chunk of mineral and wind is shaped like a gust.

Before you say the brown one has yellow lightning bolts in them, if it was actually lightning you would think they would make the thing into the shape of a lightning bolt to fit the theme the first two have clearly done.
While those are the "four elements" most familiar to us, the classical elements vary across different societies even on Earth. There's no reason Monty could not choose to spice things up for the elements of Dust on Remnant. The way Dust is described as an "energy propellant" may have motivated him to select a more fluid substitute for earth.

In any case, apart from Weiss's outburst in Episode 2, the second most telling sign that the yellow/brown crystal was lightning is:

You know, the talk about the Atlasian Paladin got me thinking about how DIFFERENT Remnant's idea of combat is. And I don't just mean Hunters taking on giant monsters with ridiculously elaborate weaponry.

I mean, any real-world tactics mean jack and squat in this world. I'm reminded of Yang's trailer...

One of the random-ass no-life thugs in Junior's club took Yang's shotgun-powered punches to the chest repeatedly. While he was defeated, there's no indication that he was killed, crippled or even seriously hurt. If some low-rent mook can walk off what would render you or me a puddle of leaking meat it really hammers home how superhuman your regular joe shmoe of Remnant is in relation to us.

No wonder Dust Ammo is so valuable; it's probably the only way gun bullets do more than tickle. And also the reason why, say, the White Fang at the docks decided to bum-rush Blake in melee.

Meanwhile something as simple as a group of soldiers stacking together for a door breach is basically cause for someone to snicker "Lol watch this multikill"

I know when we eventually see some fights that involve what are referred to as professional soldiers someone's gonna point out their "Terrible fighting" whether they win or lose (Probably the latter) when really whatever they do will be tactically sound within the rules and conventions of their own world.

Back