RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
No, you filthy scrub peasants.
It's clearly professor Port!
JUST LOOK AT THAT MUSTACHE
IT WILL LEAD US TO ASCENSION.

So the issue of the discrimination against Faunus and its portrayal within the show serving as an explanation for the White Fang has come up more than once in my experience, and I recently realized that, along side of and in place of some of my older ideas about it, that maybe the perspective on how the societal issues that would cause Faunus to risk their lives and take up arms is not entirely correct. That is to say that while I have no doubt there are issues, the manner in which they manifest may not be one's that are easy to notice or what one often thinks of when they consider prejudice within a society.

Essentially, at some point the Faunus, I think, were some form of slave class, there was a revolution and at some point there were efforts to export all the Faunus to a small hunk of land well away from the rest of the kingdoms which was fought against leading to the White Fang after they successfully claimed equal rights, under the law. The thing is, a people that have gone through all of that, enslavement war, attempts exportation and who were already a beaten down under class are not necessarily likely to have had a large population to begin with and likely only lost more in the fighting. This may explain the relatively small number of Faunus seen on the main streets of Vale in comparison to humans and if crime groups and syndicates were already entrenched they seem amongst the least likely groups to welcome Faunus and to instead use them as a source of money and power while likely trying to keep Faunus down as much as possible.

Essentially, once they were granted equal rights, on paper, the Faunus would still be left in an undesirable position because chances are most of them would have had very little education allowed to them, many only having training or experience fighting, any attempts to find work or education would be marred by prejudice and a lack of opportunities as well as something as simple as distance. Getting to a minimum wage job where one's boss may be screwing their newest and most easily exploited worked can be hard if you have to cross half the city just to get there.

Essentially there's not a huge amount of prejudice scene because there aren't many Faunus for people to express it against due to relatively smaller numbers and because many humans may have no experience or extremely little experience with Faunus outside of textbooks and cultural references or briefly passing them in the street and thus would have little chance to express their prejudice, and many may not even think of Faunus at all, in regards to their history or currently. That wouldn't eliminate any of the issues giving the White Fang a motive for violence, heck economic issues can and have spearheaded and motivated a lot of aggressive social and military movements and all those issues being the result of humans screwing the Faunus over initially would only add fuel to the fire. Add into that, the White Fang may seem like the only way out, the only way to something better for many disadvantaged or frustrated Faunus, its not their dream to become soldiers/terrorists, but at least they might get some steady food, actual training and the chance, well the promise, of somehting more in the future.

That's my take anyway.

Edit: Keep in mind this wouldn't mean more blatant expressions of prejudice wouldn't happen, or actions and statements cutting Faunus out of the kingdom/culture they are meant to be a part of and or demeaning them like animals wouldn't happen, just that they may not be as commonly seen because the actual crossover between the humans seen and Faunus seen is relatively limited and often in a context where that sort of thing wouldn't be mentioned.

I imagine Faunus, as seen in the Stadium and like Sun or even Velvet likely come from a relatively small middle class of Faunus who's parents or ancestors were fortunate or skilled enough to escape the circumstances that the rest of their people were left with and that, especially in Sun's case, Faunus like that may be somewhat insulated from the issues faced by those like Blake and Adam.

In essence it may be sort of more like a class issue than a purely 'race' based issue even if that's where it has its origins and is still connected to.

Most likely FACERIG with or without the Live2D optional module. It's a motion capture software available on Steam that lets you OCR your face from a webcam to animate a 3D or 2D face.
I know, I have it, but even when I tried it out, it didn't suck that bad.
At the end of the video, there's a screen that "Beacon Connect" is powered by Faceware Technologies Inc, so they are apparently using one of Facerig's competitors.

Honestly, I can't shake the feeling that it was intentional because that seems like a pretty appropriate expression for Yang.

Not as good as Facerig, at any rate.
It was a goddamn horror show.
I actually blame the RWBY models for this issue. Remember that RWBY is filmed in poser and the models are made there, it was never really meant for complex movement like the show has. The show can also edit out the clipping and make more movements beyond "karate chop" like Yang and Ruby were doing.

No time to edit meant it was going to be ugly. But let's blame the whole "trans-universe" Skype call on it, that will mess anything up.

Back