RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
Heck, how the hell did Ozpin lose to Cinder if he could do that and why didn't he use it at Beacon.
I've recently watched the Ozpin vs Cinder fight. He was drawing power from his cane, but Cinder was quicker on the draw than he was and shot first. What he could pull from it in that time wasn't enough to overcome her blast.

Salem was convinced humanity can't be redeemed and so asked "hey, wanna replace them with our people?" to which Ozma is like "fuck this shit, I'm out" and tried to take the kids. Because this was a betrayal for her, she lashed out.

What? I thought the issue was Salem interpreted Ozma's goal of "We should unite and lead all of humanity" as "We should conquer humanity so we can lead them," which is a fairly reasonable interpretation, but part way through the conquest Ozma realized war is bad and decided they should stop. Salem was confused by this 180 and Ozma decided to follow it up by revealing the relics and the fact that he was working for the God of Light. Salem took this ... poorly and he decided that meant the God of Light was correct about her being corrupted and insane, so he decided to kidnap their children in the middle of the night. Salem caught him, a fight ensued, and their kids got caught in the colateral.

Mind you all, Salem might also be mentally compromised to some extent where she is far more prone to giving into destructive impulses then most people after her dip in the Grimm Pool so we do have to take that into account.

This is not to say she would not have done the same things if she had not dipped herself into the Grimm pool, but I feel she went more towards the kill em all and replace them option more easily because of her grimm bath.

alright here we go

Kinetic Nuke - Ozpin VS Cinder
Ozpin could not pull out the nuke there for a number of reasons. None explicitly stated, but implications are.
The 2 primary and most obvious ones have been stated. One being Ozpin is very passive (as Zam said) and two being that Ozpin just never had enough time to charge up enough of a blast. Hazel had to hang on to Salem just so Oscar had enough time to draw out enough power for the boom. Another logical reason is collateral damage. He is far underground and also right under the Beacon Tower. He told Pyrrha and Jaune "The Tower Must Not Fall!" so right there is the risk of dropping lord knows how many metric tons of earth on top of himself but also dropping an important building he just said should not fall. Not to mention so many brave people were fighting right above trying to defend Beacon.

Divorce Fight
Salem wanted to replace Humanity 2.0 with something closer to Humanity 1.0, i.e. magic uses like themselves. This is more or less visually hinted at by way of one of their children running in at that moment and showing that she can do magic like her mommy (the floating magic orbs we saw Salem do in her room). Ozma follows this up in the following scene by trying to sneak his 4 daughters out of the castle at night only to get caught in the act. Ozma tries to talk Salem down, does not work, and Salem throws the first magic bolt. Their daughters end up getting caught in the crossfire as the whole castle comes down.

No, it's pretty clear.

Salem was convinced humanity can't be redeemed and so asked "hey, wanna replace them with our people?" to which Ozma is like "fuck this shit, I'm out" and tried to take the kids. Because this was a betrayal for her, she lashed out.

What does this even mean. Because the only practical interpretation I can come up with is having their descendants breed with the human population until Oz and Salem become the genetic Adam and Eve which sounds like a fine plan.

My impression is that that is because the new humans just didn't have magic to begin with?
Magical powers were a gift from the God of Darkness and it is pretty much confirmed though still a theory that he did not give magical powers to Humanity 2.0 due to the actions of Humanity 1.0

Last edited:
Salem is talking about "replacing them [humans without magic] with something they could never be." Given that she's already set herself up as a god and is watching her followers wage holy wars over a crystal ball with a satisfied look on her face, you're out of your damn mind if you think however she was going to go about "replacing" Humanity 2.0 was going to be anything but immoral and fucked up.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that she'd have achieved her goal with favoritism of Humanity 1.0, letting natural and social selection take it's course, and a lot of patience.

Or a lot of wonton murder. She is "a being of infinite life with an infinite desire for destruction." Y'all giving out way too much benefit of the doubt here.

All humans have the potential for infinite destruction. There is nothing in her actual behavior that suggests that she has some irrational drive to destroy things for no reason.

All humans have the potential for infinite destruction. There is nothing in her actual behavior that suggests that she has some irrational drive to destroy things for no reason.
Way I see it, Salem was teetering on a seesaw. Cursed by both gods, caught between creation and destruction, equal capacity for both. She spent ages being a bitter witch in the woods without her skin getting all cracked and even more Grimmlike. But her personality flaws and choices pushed her firmly over the edge and worsened her condition, which leads to current canon. A Grimm in human skin, with human intellect and the ceaseless hate of a monster.

No I mean in the present. She has a reason for wanting to destroy the world and all the individual acts of destruction she plans. She never seems to have any instinctive need to kill people or anything.
And even if she does I can tell you for a fact that that is not something that can't be lived with without functioning.

Back