RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:

Hmm I mean there are similarities but I'm not sure if it's close enough to say it's an intentional parallel. Does present an interesting idea for what this could be, Weiss is Some sort of general or Queen, Yang is part of Raven's bandit tribe, Blake is either a slave or never left the White Fang (and the outfits got weird) and Ruby (This is complete speculation) had Summer survive so she wasn't trained by Qrow leading to her hobbies and her weapon being radically different.

And as Pugman mentions, Pyrrha's outfit does kind of suggest she went to Atlas instead of Beacon and either embraced or was forced to embrace the fame.

Though that does kind of suggest that Jaune, Nora and Ren are basically unchanged.

If that's what they're going for then Volume 1 makes a lot of sense. Like Later Volume Yang would have far more contempt for a version of her that joined Raven's tribe, same with Weiss and Esdeath!Weiss. Early Volume 1 though, RWBY is a lot less sure of itself. Particularly Weiss.

oh!
this is a theory/idea that just popped into my head I think Mook will like.

ok so, if I understand correctly the RWBY DnD series (Grimm Campaign, right?) there were Non-Relic artifacts that characters were after, right?
well, what if in this RWBY: IQ anime we have Beacon Weiss find some weird artifact that brings us to these AU versions?

And as Pugman mentions, Pyrrha's outfit does kind of suggest she went to Atlas instead of Beacon and either embraced or was forced to embrace the fame.

Maybe it's just me, but Pyrrha's new design doesn't look like a celebrity to me. The combination of half-lidded eyes, slightly spread arms with her palms facing forward, and flowing robes looks almost religious to me. In fact, it's pretty close to some depictions of the Virgin Mary:

Maybe it's just me, but Pyrrha's new design doesn't look like a celebrity to me. The combination of half-lidded eyes, slightly spread arms with her palms facing forward, and flowing robes looks almost religious to me. In fact, it's pretty close to some depictions of the Virgin Mary:

well it's at least not battle attire. But I say celebrity because it is closer to what Weiss wore back in Atlas when she was once again stuck singing in front of rich folks and attending rich people events. this is more of a gala attire.
as for the Virgin Mary stuff, eh we'll see.

Admittedly, Yang's volume 7 design also has one of her removable trouser legs held up by a single, uhh, belt? Suspender? I really don't know how to describe it but it's very similar. I think someone actually drew attention to the similarities with Vernal back when the design was first revealed.

well it's at least not battle attire. But I say celebrity because it is closer to what Weiss wore back in Atlas when she was once again stuck singing in front of rich folks and attending rich people events. this is more of a gala attire.
as for the Virgin Mary stuff, eh we'll see.
I wouldn't be surprised if she was a lot more different from the original than that. Her expression makes me feel kind of uncomfortable honestly. Like normal Pyrrha is a Hero, while this alternate one feels like the opposite of her.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was a lot more different from the original than that. Her expression makes me feel kind of uncomfortable honestly. Like normal Pyrrha is a Hero, while this alternate one feels like the opposite of her.
I'd say it feels less Opposite and more Hollow. Like behind the slight smile and projection of benevolence there's a hole where once a girl named Pyrrha Nikos lived.

I'd say it feels less Opposite and more Hollow. Like behind the slight smile and projection of benevolence there's a hole where once a girl named Pyrrha Nikos lived.
Hollow fits too, and since Hero doesn't need to mean good so it could still apply even if she was evil, and this one doesn't feel truly evil either.

Kind of like how love and hate are usually considered opposites but both are also the opposites of apathy.

I mean, it does look the same with the exception of the central hexagon becoming smaller and the diagonal arrows getting bigger and interconnecting with each other. It gives a very different vibe, but it adheres to the general concept, although it becomes more assymetrical as a result.

I mean, it does look the same with the exception of the central hexagon becoming smaller and the diagonal arrows getting bigger and interconnecting with each other. It gives a very different vibe, but it adheres to the general concept, although it becomes more assymetrical as a result.
I mean it is distinctly the same kind of design yeah, but it looks like either Weiss's normal design got literally divided by the spear like center , or it's two glyphs that part way merged. both of which metaphorically could be very interesting.

Trying to reconcile the fact that the redesign of Weiss doesn't have the scar with all the scenes in the trailer from Vol 1 what I have come up with is that this could basically be that one episode of Buffy. Weiss unhappy after Ruby is made leader makes a wish to not be part of Team RWBY and maybe Ozpin decides to teach her a lesson or she just stumbles across some magical artifact with phenomenal cosmic power and it gets granted and they all end up in the dystopian future that would result from that.

Trying to reconcile the fact that the redesign of Weiss doesn't have the scar with all the scenes in the trailer from Vol 1 what I have come up with is that this could basically be that one episode of Buffy. Weiss unhappy after Ruby is made leader makes a wish to not be part of Team RWBY and maybe Ozpin decides to teach her a lesson or she just stumbles across some magical artifact with phenomenal cosmic power and it gets granted and they all end up in the dystopian future that would result from that.
Weiss being made leader wouldn't get rid of her scar though, so ant divergence point would be farther back than that.

Weiss being made leader wouldn't get rid of her scar though, so ant divergence point would be farther back than that.
Yeah that's the thing, whatever Esdeath's story is, the differences have to start somewhere before the show, or at the latest, the White Trailer. That's why to me the most likely explanation for that Weiss is that she's flat out from an alternate universe.

Which is why the scenario I am proposing is:

When Weiss is still mad that Ruby was made leader, she unwisely makes some off hand wish about having never gone to Beacon.
It gets all monkey pawed and either just her or all of RWBY and JNPR wake up in an alternate reality where Weiss went to Atlas instead. Maybe that also causes Ruby to fail to get into Beacon or something.
They now all have to find each other and work out how to fix the timeline.

Which is why the scenario I am proposing is:

When Weiss is still mad that Ruby was made leader, she unwisely makes some off hand wish about having never gone to Beacon.
It gets all monkey pawed and either just her or all of RWBY and JNPR wake up in an alternate reality where Weiss went to Atlas instead. Maybe that also causes Ruby to fail to get into Beacon or something.
They now all have to find each other and work out how to fix the timeline.

It seems unlikely that Weiss not going to beacon would affect either Ruby or Blake's attendance?

I'm personally of the opinion that Weiss seeing another Weiss and the expression on alt Weiss's face means that at least the art we've seen of Weiss and probably Pyrrha are different characters, not just characters waking up in their counterpart's bodies.

Back