RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
Seriously though, I wonder how they do deal with illusion related semblances in a tournament like this? I mean, this can't be the first time illusion powers have appeared on Remnant, and it seems fairly obvious that they could be abused to cheat if someone wanted. So do they have an effective way to deal with stuff like that, or are we just rolling on the honor system? :V

Seriously though, I wonder how they do deal with illusion related semblances in a tournament like this? I mean, this can't be the first time illusion powers have appeared on Remnant, and it seems fairly obvious that they could be abused to cheat if someone wanted. So do they have an effective way to deal with stuff like that, or are we just rolling on the honor system? :V
More then likely the sensors that measure aura amount also detect it.
I have a feeling based on what cinder has talked about Neo has been in the background hacking those sensors since the show implies cinder has control of the random selection results it does make sense.

More then likely the judges are fine with the illusions inside the arena like if emerald is responsible for the whole fight with Coco and Yash...I forget how to spell his name, that is fine its only outside influence those sensors are most likely worried about.

The problem becomes which one is it Neo or emerald because they work in different ways.

Interesting thing to note from this episode, Cinder is working with, or working for, another party.

Interesting thing to note from this episode, Cinder is working with, or working for, another party.

That didn't really surprise me much. Given RWBY's tendency to follow certain cliches I was fully expecting Cinder to be the penultimate villain. I'm putting twenty on the unspoken party being some sort of Primoridal Grimm.

On the subject of the latest episode did anyone else hear Ozpin's voice during the black screen between Emerald and Mercury's recruitment.

So sorry for the double post but I just realized how Cinder dodged a bullet with the White Fang, if Blake had been in that Tent with Adam or gotten a better look at them she would have been able to recognize Cinder and crew the moment they showed up at Beacon.

Speaking of they're going to need to address that Qrow knows what team evil looks like, more or less stated he knew that they were at the tournament so was obviously paying attention to such, but hasn't called the authorities down on them like a sack of hammers.

On the subject of the latest episode did anyone else hear Ozpin's voice during the black screen between Emerald and Mercury's recruitment.
I wondered about that too, but a second listening convinced me that wasn't him.

So sorry for the double post but I just realized how Cinder dodged a bullet with the White Fang, if Blake had been in that Tent with Adam or gotten a better look at them she would have been able to recognize Cinder and crew the moment they showed up at Beacon.
Rather, BLAKE dodged the bullet. Because if Blake and Cinder had met face-to-face, and Blake ran out afterwards, Cinder would have her hunted down and killed.

Adam and Banesaw had a number of Red Sap jars in their tent, for some reason. Rations, or Grimm-bait?

Even if Mercury turns up again later with his prostheses exposed, wouldn't it be simple to claim that he got both legs replaced after Yang busted his knee? Judging by his background scene, a person could totally have their legs totally replaced and then fight well enough to kill a dude while the blood is still wet (assuming that his father is responsible for replacing his legs with weapons).

Though I suppose professionals could look at him fight with those legs and conclude that he's FAR too practiced with them to have gotten them recently.

Maiden powers allow control over all four basic elements of Dust, without Aura or any actual Dust, apparently. Wind, Lightning, Fire, and Ice. Plus, despite being the Fall Maiden rather than the Summer Maiden, Amber's eyes blazed with magical fire.

So, I'm left doubting as to whether the Seasonal Maidens have differentiated powers at all.

Cinder's never displayed anything but fire, and that could all be Dust and Semblance rather than Maiden powers. Though, the portals in the ground she creates to summon flames have the same look and screaming sound associated with the glove that summoned the Grimm-bug to drain out Amber's magical power. They're the same portals that appeared in Cinder's fight with Glynda.

The portals look the same as Raven's, but Raven's portal made an entirely different, slower, gentler sound. The portal-glove might have been a Dust-woven item, so portals might still be Aura and Dust rather than magic.

Confirmation that Cinder's eyes have always been golden-yellow; that's not a result of hosting Maiden powers. Amber's eyes were a normal brown as well. So, I'm guessing Ruby's silver eyes have nothing to do with Maidens and just reveal her relation to Summer Rose. (Or maybe they're related to a source of magic separate from the Maidens, because who said the Old Man was the ONLY one?)

Cinder's glowing irises are extremely different from the flaming eye effect she and Amber displayed, so it's probably her Semblance at work.

Given they explained how the towers worked last time and Cinder has infected said towers, that feels pretty relevant to me. The other stuff may be relevant later or just means they don't need to explain it in world why no one has tried capturing and experimenting on Grim, they did try, it just failed. It fills in plot holes is what I'm saying and gives us exposition without the need for Jaune.

Like I said, I haven't even watched the World of Remnant Shorts except the one about the Grimm and I was able to get the gist of what Cinder was probably doing. RWBY is, for better or worse, fairly predictable in its plot.

Last edited:
Like I said, I haven't even watched the World of Remnant Shorts except the one about the Grimm and I was able to get the gist of what Cinder was probably doing. RWBY is, for better or worse, fairly predictable in its plot.
This is less about what Cinder may or may not do and more about the effect it will have. That is to say, if she brings down a tower in the show it brings down all the others, people might have expected the first but have no reason to know the latter without the WoR if that makes sense.

Some things I noted about the adorable little critter that burst out of Cinder's glove/hand, assuming it isn't some one of a kind abomination altered due to human influence like the creeper-like-creepers from the game.

Grimm can be that small. Grimm can be that small, still be a threat and the majority of the Grimm we know of work in groups. Good dreams.

Okay so that thing was going to suck Amber's power. Power which, according to Iron Wood, is tied all the way to her Aura and soul. It did not finish it's job, and Amber never managed to recover. Such ability, even if it's baing altered or modified by Cinder somehow, could very well be why Grimm eat people, for that yummy, yummy soul stuffs.

Also:
Assuming this critter was really summond from somewhere else, it could mean some things:
*Someone managed to get Grimm in captivity without them self destructing.
*Someone have the means of getting critters like this on demand.
*Someone is capable of actually controling Grimm. That someone could be either Cinder, her unknown acomplice or both.

Some things I noted about the adorable little critter that burst out of Cinder's glove/hand, assuming it isn't some one of a kind abomination altered due to human influence like the creeper-like-creepers from the game.

Grimm can be that small. Grimm can be that small, still be a threat and the majority of the Grimm we know of work in groups. Good dreams.

Okay so that thing was going to suck Amber's power. Power which, according to Iron Wood, is tied all the way to her Aura and soul. It did not finish it's job, and Amber never managed to recover. Such ability, even if it's baing altered or modified by Cinder somehow, could very well be why Grimm eat people, for that yummy, yummy soul stuffs.

Also:
Assuming this critter was really summond from somewhere else, it could mean some things:
*Someone managed to get Grimm in captivity without them self destructing.
*Someone have the means of getting critters like this on demand.
*Someone is capable of actually controling Grimm. That someone could be either Cinder, her unknown acomplice or both.
From my phone
Port was able to get a grimmer in his class so chances are good it's hard but not unknown

If I recall the World of Remnant said they die fairly quickly in captivity. for Port to get the Boartusk I think he'd have to have gotten the Grim that morning at best, but that's just my take.
From my phone
I haven't watched all the info dumps did it say why they die?
Because we don't know how fresh that Grim is, you would think an item like that would take time and it was destroyed after it was used, also it looks like a grimmer but that doesn't mean it is one.

Am I the only one finding the maiden's power pretty underwhelming?

I mean, yeah, storms and stuff, but when you see what other characters can do, it's not that impressive or more powerful. And it also looked like her aura needed her actively, given she got insta gibbed when shot in the back.

From my phone
I haven't watched all the info dumps did it say why they die?
Because we don't know how fresh that Grim is, you would think an item like that would take time and it was destroyed after it was used, also it looks like a grimmer but that doesn't mean it is one.
Not that I recall, most of the video seemed based around showing how unknown the Grim were so all we got was that they don't last long in captivity.
I'm pretty sure it was a Grim but it was a pretty small one so I imagine catching it was easy for a senior Hunter like Port.

Not that I recall, most of the video seemed based around showing how unknown the Grim were so all we got was that they don't last long in captivity.
I'm pretty sure it was a Grim but it was a pretty small one so I imagine catching it was easy for a senior Hunter like Port.
From my phone
I was talking about Cinder glove Grim

I mean, yeah, storms and stuff, but when you see what other characters can do, it's not that impressive or more powerful. And it also looked like her aura needed her actively, given she got insta gibbed when shot in the back.
It doesn't look impressive but Cinder seemed well prepared for her and nothing says amber is a good fighter

I thought it was pretty neat considering that she was still able to use her power even after her Aura was depleted.

Last edited:

She went down after a drawn out battle during which Cinder managed to break her aura. The Maiden powers don't appear to use Aura seeing as they allowed her to ragdoll all 3 of her attackers and nearly escape despite having no aura left.

Do you guys think Amber could have escaped if she hadn't tried to kill Emerald on her way out? Or at the very least survived long enough for Qrow to show up?

Do you guys think Amber could have escaped if she hadn't tried to kill Emerald on her way out? Or at the very least survived long enough for Qrow to show up?
Possibly, she was moving pretty slowly but Aura seems to come back at a decent rate all things considered so she could potentially have started stumbling towards where Qrow came from and been a bit further away, though given the amount of time between being shot, falling, and Cinder beginning her extraction she'd have to push herself very hard as I see it.

On the efficacy of Maiden powers, I'll bring up the Avatar comparison again, since it seems so similar: Amber is young and seems fairly brash (see my point below). I have no doubt a Maiden in her prime (30s or 40s or so, like the teachers or Qrow--which probably isn't really a maiden any more, so to speak), would be nigh untouchable in combat without prep time.

Considering she can fly and has control over wind, if she'd GTFO'd from the beginning, she could definitely have escaped from the very beginning if she wanted to. After losing her Aura, it's then a matter of dodging their attacks without dying as she tries to get away.

Back