RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
It could also be that they're being supreme dicks. None of the other teams have been anything worse then mildly rude in a teasing manner. Doesn't help you'd do that in front of X% of the world population.

Something to note: The girl calling Yang fat, as well as her partner, are probably part of Team FNKY, who is apparently Miles's favorite team.

I hope they don't go the stereotypical "girl freaks out due to being called fat" thing.

Also we have our first bards! :D

Also we finally get to meet Penny's partner, cool :D
fixed I think. Nyan Cat-Faunus looks like she's holding a mic.

Something to note: The girl calling Yang fat, as well as her partner, are probably part of Team FNKY, who is apparently Miles's favorite team.
They might be an entire team based on music related memes. There's the Nyan song, trump guy might be based on this

Wonder what the rest of the team is based on

Was watching an LP of Asura's Wrath. Thought of a quest mainly in RWBY. And then realized how frighteningly many similarities can be drawn between them.

Grimm and Gohma, Aura and Mantra, Demigods and Hunters. Asura's Wrath just seems to largely apply the ninja conversion trope with only having 8 main fighters and everyone else being a mook. Either that or they have mass producible E to B rank types and the main guys are triple SSS/OHGODWHY!? level.

I just thought it was a really interesting comparison that should be noted of at least, and I don't see any other mentions of Asura's Wrath with the search bar in the thread.

Was watching an LP of Asura's Wrath. Thought of a quest mainly in RWBY. And then realized how frighteningly many similarities can be drawn between them.

Grimm and Gohma, Aura and Mantra, Demigods and Hunters. Asura's Wrath just seems to largely apply the ninja conversion trope with only having 8 main fighters and everyone else being a mook. Either that or they have mass producible E to B rank types and the main guys are triple SSS/OHGODWHY!? level.

I just thought it was a really interesting comparison that should be noted of at least, and I don't see any other mentions of Asura's Wrath with the search bar in the thread.

IIRC, someone did start that Quest, but it didn't go too far.

There was actually talk over on SB of Remnant being a pre-history Gaia before Mantra was discovered.

The main problem is that the two are far too different in theme and tone. Yes, both Asura's Wrath and RWBY are anime-ish (I know I consider AW somebody's pet interactive anime) but where AW is the story of one or at most two main characters dealing with loss; the passage of time; and vengeance, RWBY...isn't.

Also the Aura/Dust-Mantra link is kind of trivial once you realize they're all stand-ins for "Magic".

The main problem is that the two are far too different in theme and tone. Yes, both Asura's Wrath and RWBY are anime-ish (I know I consider AW somebody's pet interactive anime) but where AW is the story of one or at most two main characters dealing with loss; the passage of time; and vengeance, RWBY...isn't.

Also the Aura/Dust-Mantra link is kind of trivial once you realize they're all stand-ins for "Magic".
I didn't really think about the themes of them but that is a good point. Unless RWBY starts focusing on Forest Glen, the Mangerie, and other such things post-Beacon or something. Its not a hard thing to deconstruct RWBY to have a degree of the themes in AW either, but you are right in that it isn't the focus currently and likely won't be in the future.

True, but even then some "Magic" stand-ins appear to have more similarities than others. Aura and Mantra seem very similar in the basic idea of how they work and what they accomplish.

[Discussion] Volume 3, Chapter 5: Never Miss a Beat
All right, lets see what happens this episode:
OK that opening was awesome and some grand advertising. Honestly the "our game is tied to the shows plot" sort of makes me wonder if this is the next step following Marvels Movie Continuity thing and I'm curious about how well it will go.

Penny is amazing and adorable, Cial (no idea if I spelled that right) looks like her micro manager. Also her watch is a watch, seemingly. She may be a robot, or just affecting a very literal manner of speaking as she seems to be having fun with it. I was wrong, she knows nothing and was seemingly put with Penny by orders from above and is just obsessed with time management. I'm OK with this as its kind of hilariously also Weiss cops a flogging. Haha, XD well Pyrrha can fight Penny!

SDC are jerks to small business, no surprises there, Roller girl is seemingly Nora if she was a jerk.

The centre stadium floats, Remnant is amazing!

As always the music is amazing. Jazzy!

Flynt has a cool Semblance and it seems Neon Katt is likely a cat Faunus, Yang should appreciate the name at least. Also that theory about Faunus being denied positions in Atlas military seems unlikely now which is odd but then, again that can only mean so much given real world historical precedent of abused minorities being let into the military and misused or mistreated.

Weiss is self sacrificing and awesome even if I thought the camera angles and pace of the scene were a bit odd, also she looks badly burnt, and Yang is the Hulk surprising no one. Port also no longer has the right to insult Oobleck's joke given his cross universal references XD

Neon does not want to miss a beat apparently, Yang can make fire geysers when angry and launched someone's Dust attack back at them. It was awesome. Wow Neon actually cried a little, I am interested in learning more of this.

Red eye Yang forgot Weiss but lavender remembered, I know there one person but I like the use of eye colour to show her state of mind.

Neon is even more Nora than I thought! Team FNKY are not quite as jerky as expected which was a little expected. ;)

Hmm so a loss of Aura doesn't mean unconscious or dead, good to know.

Cinder has found Penny! This is bad, very bad!

Did I suggest Pyrrha, I think I suggested Pyrrha, oh my gosh people its Pyrrha and she looks so swaggery and confident its awesome and team Crime are probably going to wreck her and ah I cannot handle this right now!

Edit: Did Ozpin say "the maidens choose themselves" or something else?

Also, hmm, it seems Yang's Semblance may not be passive as some expected, intriguing, I mean she presumably got some power from being beaten on but seemingly not much but that is just a theory.

I need this episode's OST so badly. And really the whole season's. Waiting for its release is gonna be the longest wait ever.

So probably surprising no one on what it is I think I figured out Neon's Semblance a bit late, I'm currently assuming she can basically propel herself forward via an Aura power rainbow, thus making Rollerblades a good choice seeing as its closer to a jet pack over speed enhancement.

Also, interestingly enough, Cinder not knowing of Penny before adds a bit more to the idea her plan is kind of open to change over being some carefully micro managed thing. No wonder she's so smug, so long as she isn't caught I imagine she can always just recoup losses later and have fun ruining lives while she does it. Also as was pointed out over on SB Cinder taking over the robots seems to be the plan.

Say, anyone else think the schematic of what is presumably Penny's brain looks like a reference to the robot Church was housed in for awhile in Red VS Blue?

Also seriously, what happened between Ironwood and Qrow!?

Last edited:
Nuts and Dolts gains traction, Ruby was willing to leave her seat and go find Penny after the match.

Also Cardin may have learned to stop glory hounding seeing as CRDL made it to doubles and he didn't put himself forward.

SDC is an asshole to small businesses. :drevil:

Why didn't Weiss tack Yang down with a bigger glyph? I guess element of surprise factors in, but still.

Yep, Neon made the mistake of taking a bunch of cheap shots instead of making a serious effort to put Yang down- if she'd used ice dust for her combo at 6:40, she could have frozen Yang entirely. And are those GLOWSTICK-CHUCKS XD. She basically spent the entire match charging Yang's semblance; it was otherwise a good tactic since the stamina drain from chasing Neon would be normally be an issue for opponents. Yang's semblance really is bullshit-tier when people don't know it.

Weiss MVP, she sacrificed herself to save the match! Flynt's semblance allowed him to brute force overpower her, but I think Weiss showed more skill and tactical thinking during their fight. Flynt was able to toss her around, but ultimately he was just doing the same trumpet blast attack over and over with more power. He didn't seem to pay attention to where he tossed Weiss either, only noticing he was standing on a counter to ice (Fire Dust) at the last second, and never using it again. Plus he turned his back on an opponent who obviously wasn't out yet, he deserved every bit of that lava geyser.

Weiss meanwhile completely boxed him in with glyphs and zipped through them so fast that the only way Flynt could get out was with his trump card (which drained him to 55 vs Weiss' 40). Her main problem seems to be lacking raw power and tankiness as she goes down to one hit. It was his trump card 4x power blast, but still she needs to work on getting up faster. And not dropping her sword, WINTER MUST BE APOPLECTIC.

Edit: Weiss confirmed to be less tanky in pure numbers. Flynt only lost 39 from the geyser, she should have had 1 aura left if the damage loss was equal (and she was on top so she should have been burned less). Also, humans from Remnant can survive lava geysers and lying on lava terrain for several minutes without aura.

Hmm... but what if Weiss were to summon a copy of herself as well? Her... MIRROR IMAGE? Double the glyph support, double the pain.

Despite being angry, Yang was easily able to turn the tables when Neon and Flynt started attacking her as opposed to kiting, even thinking to break the environment and target Flynt. So red eyes don't equal mindless berserker, just goal oriented seeing as she forgot about Weiss.

Aw, FNKI were good sports and Yang got a new friend to party with! And incidentally, at 8:26 after being flirted with ("you're kinda pretty when you're angry!") Yang's eyes briefly return to lavender. :evil:
1. Ruby proved she wasn't ready by failing to stop the train, so Ozpin is going to back Pyrrha.
2. However Ironwood will put forth Penny instead, causing the two to duke it out in the finals.
3. Cinder now wants Penny to be champ so she can have complete control of the chosen Guardian. However, Pyrrha would wreck Penny due to her semblance (we got confirmation that magnets will stick to Penny). So Cinder will plan to defeat Pyrrha in singles to ensure Penny's victory.
4. Penny's plan to stay in Beacon will fuck up Cinder's plan. Obvious mind control ensues when Cinder finds out.
5. Ruby's heroic moment will come when she saves Penny from Cinder's virus.

cracktastic bonus guess: The season ends with Yang discovering her purpose in life as the new Guardian.

FNKI's main problem was that they picked exactly the wrong way to fight Yang. Wearing an enemy down via a series of light hits and psychological warfare is usually a perfectly viable tactic, but of course Yang is basically the Hulk. You need to hit her as hard and as fast as possible to take her down*; if she's still standing after two or three solid hits you might as well throw in the towel right there. If Flynt had done his little clone thing and hit her with a quadruple full trumpet blast right away, while Neon kept Weiss busy, that could have taken her out of the fight early, leaving them free to take on Weiss 2-on-1--and since Weiss is so squishy she couldn't handle Flynt on her own, they'd be almost assured of success.

*Or do what Neo did and let Yang wear herself out without ever making contact, but that's a much riskier tactic.

Technically this episode is a bit of a relief; the fight animation wasn't totally top notch but at least it's actually animated--lots of the really juicy long shots that make RWBY unique, and not many jump cuts, extended pose-holds, or speed-lines to be found. Looks like RT has definitely learned from their mistakes with the Qrow/Winter fight, and to a lesser extent the Episode 4 fight.

And of course it's always wonderful to see Penny again.

Forget Phyrra and magnets. Yang's Semblance, man. How does it work?

I'm not asking about the specifics of "get hit, get ripped" this time. I'm talking about her EYES, and her fire-generation.

APPEARANCES OF YANG'S SEMBLANCE

* Her initial fire punch against Junior's minions? Normal hair and normal eyes.

* Her super attacks against both sisters, after getting hit? Shining hair, normal eyes.

* Her fiery kick against the white kick-fighter girl, after getting hit again? Shining hair, normal eyes.

* Her combo-finisher against Junior, after getting hit again? Shining hair and the first time her eyes turned red. She'd been feeling pretty good about the whole fight, including now, so why did they turn red? She didn't get pissed off until after this punch.

* Her fiery explosion against the Ursa, and her fiery explosion when she threw a fit about general craziness? Normal hair, red eyes.

* Food fight? Normal hair, normal eyes.

* Sound of crackling flames when Blake just won't see reason? Normal hair, red eyes.

* Her fight with Torchwick's Paladin, after she gets clobbered and starts hitting harder and generating flames? Shining hair and red eyes.

* Her fight with Neo? Normal hair and no matter how mad she gets HER EYES STAY NORMAL.

* "Dream" meeting after her mother reveals her face? Normal hair, red eyes.

* The Breach? Normal hair, normal eyes.

* Match against ABRN? Normal hair, normal eyes.

* Start of the match against FNKI? Despite how many times she was hit, even when Yang broke the ice off her arm with a pissed off look on her face, her hair was normal and her eyes were normal.

* Middle of her duel with Neon? Yang's hair is normal, but her eyes are finally red, but she doesn't seem have gained any advantage at all.

* Neon calls her pretty? Her eyes go back to normal as she processes that, and stay normal even when she starts ranting in anger.

* In fact, even in the face of more insults, even when Yang blows up and shouts "THAT'S IT!", Yang's eyes are STILL normal until Weiss blows herself up.

So, I can find no rhyme or reason to Yang's eyes, except to suggest that they only turn red when she WANTS them to turn red. Which fits with Semblances being deliberate activations rather than automatic powers.

Unfortunately, I cannot say what power Yang is activating. Clearly, it is a power that helps her with making her enemies hurt, but what it does exactly and WHY she doesn't always use it is mysterious to me.

It's not her "get hit, get ripped" power, as Word of God tells us that her hair is her super-meter; no shine, no super.

It's not her flames, either, since she can generate flames when her eyes are normal, and doesn't always generate flames when her eyes are red.

I've got no clue, man.

Last edited:
Random thought: Do the new characters outfits have pockets? Monty always included pockets in the costumes so Cosplayers would have places to keep stuff. Is that trend still alive

Random thought: Do the new characters outfits have pockets? Monty always included pockets in the costumes so Cosplayers would have places to keep stuff. Is that trend still alive

ABRN: All of them wear pants (or shorts, in Reese's case) that could easily fit pockets, and Nadir's jacket and Reese's hoodie are good for pockets, too.

BRNZ: As above, all of them wear pants that seem like they'd come with pockets as a matter of course, and May's got that jacket of hers.

NDGO: Nebula's pants probably have pockets, but the other three might not have pockets in their costumes, especially Dew and Octavia. But they're fanmade, so I don't think it counts.

Flint & Neon: Flint's a definite yes, since he's wearing a suit and all, but I think anyone wearing Neon Katt's tank top, miniskirt and spats combo is SOL as far as places to put her cell phone and wallet, unless there are pouches on that belt I missed somehow.

Last edited:
Back