RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
-Atlesian Scientists Fooling Around Again

Considering they've already managed to create a robot that apparently has a soul and doesn't really seem to need to go through the whole existential crisis thing (possibly?) we usually see, we could probably hand wave just about anything with these guys.

Unless it involves the Grimm. Probably.

So.

When it comes to team names.

I. Fucking. CALLED IIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT!

also bad bad matchups make for stompy stomps and daww family moments and the littlest knight means i want to see the Weiss Army

Last edited:
Also, Bloodline Limit-type Semblances, confirmed! Having the Uchiha and their Sharingan has a native part of Remnant could work even better now. Even the damned Magenkyo Sharingan, as much as I would like to ignore it, doesn't seem that farfetched considering how MANY things it seems that Schnee Gylphs can do. Summoning your defeated enemies is just as unrelated to "circle that can accelerate or block objects" as "generate fire" is to "record anything you see".

Was it ever stated that Schnee glyphs were that limited to begin with? I thought it was just confirming that Weiss' 'magic' is indeed her semblance and not a purely mechanical technique tied to her weapon and skills. Similar to Glynda I assume.

So if Emerald has the illusion semblance do you think we can rule that out as Neo's?
Maybe? As discussed earlier, in order for EVERY PERSON ALIVE to have a unique semblance, you're going to wind up with a lot of ones that are mechanically distinct, but functionally similar. Maybe Neo does a bunch of stuff, including illusions, and Emerald only does illusions, but does them better? I dunno.

Maybe? As discussed earlier, in order for EVERY PERSON ALIVE to have a unique semblance, you're going to wind up with a lot of ones that are mechanically distinct, but functionally similar. Maybe Neo does a bunch of stuff, including illusions, and Emerald only does illusions, but does them better? I dunno.

It would be a bit silly I think to have two out of like five antagonists share a semblance or even major components of the same semblance.

Having not seen the episode yet, I would note that Neo can apparently do multiple people in her illusions. Which are less illusions and more like 3d pictures anyway. But that's just my opinion.

It would be a bit silly I think to have two out of like five antagonists share a semblance or even major components of the same semblance.
It's silly and a little improbable, but not impossible. For the longest time until I actually looked up what Blake's Semblance was in the beginning of Volume 2, I thought that she had one that was similar to Ruby's.

Also, Bloodline Limit-type Semblances, confirmed! Having the Uchiha and their Sharingan has a native part of Remnant could work even better now. Even the damned Magenkyo Sharingan, as much as I would like to ignore it, doesn't seem that farfetched considering how MANY things it seems that Schnee Gylphs can do. Summoning your defeated enemies is just as unrelated to "circle that can accelerate or block objects" as "generate fire" is to "record anything you see".
Interestingly enough when that came up I've started comparing the Schnee Semblance to Magical Crest from Nasu-verse as Magi basically just add spells to it and pass them onto their children in that series which feels similar to what the Schnees are doing... Or they just started out with one of the most OP Haxx Semblance's ever.
So if Emerald has the illusion semblance do you think we can rule that out as Neo's?
I assumed that it either was Neo or something different from an illusion, like a hallucination, a projection into Coco's head or Emerald literally taking on Yatsu's appearance.

Why couldn't she have changed before or after or not a hallucination brought on by a Semblance?

If it was a hallucination semblance it is still just an illusion semblance by another name and it being Neo counts on Neo sneaking in during the fight, turning into Emerald, and then turning into Yatsuhashi. The other available theory is that Emerald can cause illusions with her semblance and Neo's semblance being something else.

I'm pretty sure the fake Yatsuhashi wasn't Neo being in the arena. Considering that there's a system that monitors every person's aura that is currently battling in the arena, it would probably be picked up if there was a fifth person inside.

If you're going with the theory that it was Neo disguised as Emerald the whole time, then that theory also has to involve Neo being proficient with Emerald's weapons, which isn't impossible, but a little unlikely.

I honestly attribute it to being Emerald's Semblance, which may or may not be similar to Neo's Semblance.

I honestly attribute it to being Emerald's Semblance, which may or may not be similar to Neo's Semblance.

Considering that there's obviously something weird about Neo beyond being a near voiceless murder happy psycho it's entirely possible that her semblance is equally weird or has been altered/enhanced in some way. For all we know her constantly changing eye color is a byproduct of this.

Last edited:
If it was a hallucination semblance it is still just an illusion semblance by another name and it being Neo counts on Neo sneaking in during the fight, turning into Emerald, and then turning into Yatsuhashi. The other available theory is that Emerald can cause illusions with her semblance and Neo's semblance being something else.
I would disagree with that, an illusion everyone can see a hallucination is perceived by only one person. I more meant her just projecting a Yatsuhashi clone while Emerald snuck up on Coco. I disagree, but that's just me.

Pretty much my assumption. It's probably something like Emerald actually changes her appearance while Neo makes an illusion to shroud herself.

Edit: Which begs the question, if Cinder's creating things that are fear is that actually what Neo looks like?
After all, even if her illusions can be shattered I don't think we've ever seen her get hit.

Last edited:
Was it ever stated that Schnee glyphs were that limited to begin with?
Should we expect that Ruby's speed semblance can heal injuries?

We thought we know that Semblances pretty much did only one thing, or two related things (such as Blake's shadow clone and "teleport").

Weiss' gylphs could be used as shields that blocked movement or platforms that accelerated movement, and only Dust could let her do more with them. But now we learn that she can create phantasms based on her past kills, which has nothing to do with circles that block or enable movement.

That would, as I said, be like learning that Ruby not only generates petals when she speed-bursts, but that the blood of anything she kills turns into more petals (as in the Red Trailer) which somehow increase her own power.

Theory: Schnee semblance is unique as it is a result of Cinder experimentation in the past, Neo is the latest successful subject of her experiments.

She and Roman did book it rather quickly to that VTOL in her debut.

Exactly. And the reason Neo basically went untouched in her fight with Yang is because she was manipulating the distance that Yang had to throw a punch across, meaning that while it looked close, it was actually a lot farther. It's genius!

Back