RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
If I saw a cat with human ears in addition to the usual ones, I definitely would be a bit weirded out. I'm used to Blake and similar examples, though.
Yes but a human with cat ears and regular ears doesn't look that odd based on their usual placement to me.

I remember back during season 1, I was absolutely convinced Blake couldn't be a Faunus because her human ears were clearly visible. Needless to say I felt a bit of a clown when episode 15 was released. :p
Oh my, my sympathies then XD

More Grimm Campaign goodness. XD

Also I find this comment hilarious

because the latest episode had Arrastra try to use Fire Dust on the turret which made Asher call her out and say she should use Lightning Dust instead. Meaning that they perfectly recreated this scene from Final Fantasy 7 Machinabridged, with Arrastra playing the role of the airheaded cloud. :D

Arrastra needs to be careful, the team's stupidity might be contagious. XD

edit:
Ok, that's it. The selfie memes have officially gone too far. :D

Last edited:
I admire whomever gets to animate Blake's cat ears. They're so expressive and convey so much about her mood and reactions.

Not really sure what y'all are wanting from me, here.

WE WISH ONLY FOR YOU TO JOIN THE HIVE MIND AND BECOME PART OF US. :p

Nah, I think we were slightly talking past each other until it became clear you took a different opinion away from the animation.

I admire whomever gets to animate Blake's cat ears. They're so expressive and convey so much about her mood and reactions.

The change to actual animation software in V4 is entirely justified by her ears.

War and Sacrifice ramble
Honestly, everytime I see people go "this is war! sacrifices must be made! you can't save everyone!" don't understand that not only does that thought go against both the theme of the show and also against the mission left to Oz by Light, but it also shows they don't understand that this is NOT like regular old war. This is not like fighting another kingdom or nation. Willingly sacrificing people against an enemy who's goal is to sow fear and division is not going to work and just does the enemy's job for them. When you start sacrificing people to stave off the apocalypse that is going to leave the fear of "will I be next" in the back of their minds.
I'm now reminded of one of the possible sources of Marrow's inspiration that we have posted here a few times. The Farmer and his Dogs or something like that. Where a farmer, his family, and their 2 dogs live happily, until a time comes where food is scarce. The Farmer uses each of the livestock animals in turn as one of the dogs gets nervous while the older dogs reassures him it's ok, up until the farmer sacrifices the work ox. It's at that point that the older dog says they leave now, because if the farmer will kill the work ox to feed his family, it won't be much longer till he uses the dogs.
At the end of the day, the more you sacrifices, the sooner you will have nothing left.

The above is an excellent post, I'd also like to add that "We have reserves" and "Screw the civilians" is generally bad strategy/policy in war even when not fighting someone specifically intent on dividing you and who is immortal.

Anyway, I recently came to a realization about Penny & the virus:

I was irked by it seeming to work, but am now... Less so, because I think it actually lines up with world building established with none robotic characters.

Yatsuhashi can erase people's memories, Marcus could rip the manifestation of a person's identity and Atlas can literally tear out souls and thus while I do get the discomfort, it has occurred to me upon fridge thoughts that RWBY hasn't made this kind of thing, Penny exclusive.

Some in the audience assume that Marcus didn't "really" steal Mercury's Semblance but that's just an assumption with no basis in fact.

The memories Yatsuhashi takes away come back but what if he evolved his Semblance?

We already know the soul ripper five thousand works.

People's souls, their identities, their essence they can be violated, twisted, outright taken by other people and yes, even technology. They have worth, they are real, but that doesn't make them untouchable and I guess in this case, Penny is no different than anyone else.

Last edited:
The above is an excellent post, I'd also like to add that "We have reserves" and "Screw the civilians" is generally bad strategy/policy in war even when not fighting someone specifically intent on dividing you and who is immortal.
I mean isn't scorched earth tactic is just screw the civilians tactic the only reason Napoleon became vulnerable enough to be defeated in the first place. Or Hannibal only lost because Rome allowed him to terrorize the countryside and not give him a battle that would doom them. Who also was intent on dividing Rome.
I mean it's not moral but it is a valid strategy if used correctly can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

I mean isn't scorched earth tactic is just screw the civilians tactic the only reason Napoleon became vulnerable enough to be defeated in the first place. Or Hannibal only lost because Rome allowed him to terrorize the countryside and not give him a battle that would doom them. Who also was intent on dividing Rome.
The part about Rome is a bit wrong, see Hannibal could have taken Rome after Fabius left office since it was his tactics that kept Rome together since the people after him wanted a glorious battle, but Hannibal did not and decided to send terms to the Roman's instead as was the custom back then. It was theorized that he also may have not had the troops to take Rome but we shall never know.

I mean it's not moral but it is a valid strategy if used correctly can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
From my understanding scorched earth involves retreating with everyone and leaving nothing for the enemy but ashes, IE spiting them into giving up, its not the same as saying "Haha, screw you got mine, I'll let them pillage you, lol."

From my understanding scorched earth involves retreating with everyone and leaving nothing for the enemy but ashes, IE spiting them into giving up, its not the same as saying "Haha, screw you got mine, I'll let them pillage you, lol."
From what I read it's destroying or moving things that are important further away from the enemy. From the examples I read it doesn't involve people. I could be wrong. The people are kinda left behind and have to leave by their own accord while the government pillage and burn their own town, farms, houses to prevent the enemy from pillaging it.

From what I read it's destroying or moving things that are important further away from the enemy. From the examples I read it doesn't involve people. I could be wrong. The people are kinda left behind and have to leave by their own accord while the government pillage and burn their own town, farms, houses to prevent the enemy from pillaging it.
Seems to be a mixed bag:
During the third Napoleonic invasion of Portugal in 1810, the Portuguese population retreated towards Lisbon and was ordered to destroy all the food supplies the French might capture as well as forage and shelter in a wide belt across the country. (Although effective food-preserving techniques had recently been invented, they were still not fit for military use because a suitably-rugged container had not yet been invented.)[26] The command was obeyed as a result of French plundering and general ill-treatment of civilians in the previous invasions. The poor angry people would rather destroy anything that had to be left behind, rather than leave it to the French.

After the Battle of Bussaco, André Masséna's army marched on to Coimbra, where much of the city's old university and library were vandalised. Houses and furniture were destroyed, and the few civilians who did not seek refuge farther south were murdered.

Sigh. I understand that it simply would not be feasible for a animation studio as relatively small as they are to do so when they had so much other stuff to do this volume.

But stuff like this:

Makes me really wish they had the budget to pad out the battle scenes of volume 8 a bit more so that we could actually get to see some of the cool toys that Atlas is supposed to have. Like those minigun soldiers they teased in the Atlas and Vacuo WoR. Or more elite robots like the ones Merlot uses in Grimm Eclipse. Or actual turrets since those are supposed to be common and have already been designed for Amity Arena.

I hope the DVD can expand on things at least a little bit. Or maybe future seasons of the Grimm Campaign could have some seasons in Atlas as underground Huntsmen/White Fang members fighting the SDC.

Last edited:

As for "Scorched Earth" they are usually a last resort if your are stuck on the retreat.
destroy crops, buildings, poison wells.
basically if the enemy can use it, you destroy it so they can't.

Ironwood didn't even DO a Scorched Earth policy. Not even the eventual idea to nuke Mantle counts. He was just willing to leave everything behind as it was and only opted to blow up the city to try and force compliance from a group that wasn't even the real enemy.

Back