RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
No, but I assume Yang lost. Was it well-made at least?
I'd recommend watching it personally but I won't spoil the ending if folks don't want me to. I'd say it was quite well made overall, the fight motions were elegant, fast, powerful and felt fitting for the characters. Also the music was great, I desperately want to know the name of the first song they played.

I don't have a problem with Yang tanking the Limit Break. (Ignore the calcs for a moment, both these series run off rule of cool) At no point has hitting Yang harder ever worked in the show- you have to avoid charging her up or she'll just overpower you. And Tifa gives her several large boosts before going for the overkill shot. And then lost her own boost advantage.

Seen some salt on tumblr about Yang's Aura obviously being depleted because the wound didn't heal. But we were never shown the wound, just blood- and it didn't continue bleeding, so I think we can safely assume Aura healed it.

Other complaints from the same guy were that Yang wasn't "smart" enough to beat Tifa in a fight, Tifa is "too skilled" to be beaten by Yang, and that Tifa obviously should have noticed that her opponent was charging up and spammed materia forever. But don't worry, he's really not salty at all HIS CALCS ARE JUST BETTER.

Lmao, he needs learn to sit back and enjoy a good fight.

Last edited:
Well I mean she was literally facing a dude that gets stronger the more you punch her face in. Kinda like the Hulk, if you think about it. Also said dude has a life shield thingy that can also serve as a regen factor. So not too surprising really.

Oh my god I'm in fucking tears, this reminds me so much of the one minute death battle with DIO vs Sakuya. JOJO Fans are still mad.

They poked the hive of final fantasy fanatics and this is going to be one salty ass week.

I'm mighty disappointed that we didn't get a better explanation of how Yang's Semblance works. I mean, Rooster Teeth is collaborating for this fight to some degree, so they should have been able to give exact details.

Yet there's no explanation for the apparent inconsistencies in how it works.

Yang's Semblance allegedly absorbs power from the damage she takes, but we've seen her take plenty of damage without her hair starting to glow. We've also seen her "charge up" to maximum without having taken any more injury than a few lost hairs. We've also seen her FAIL to charge up after losing a hair.

Semblances cannot be automatic or passive; they must be something the hunter deliberately evokes. This fits with how she cannot charge up while unconscious, and how even when conscious, she doesn't automatically start to glow when she takes damage. But it doesn't explain how "damage taken" relates to "charging up", or how her explosions factor in.

Can she charge up more based on the energy used against her body? On the extent to which her body is injured? The amount of Aura she's lost from passively protecting her body from harm (to use a Dissidia example, the "damage" to her Brave Meter rather than her HP Meter)? The amount of pain she's feeling?

I think the first option (charge is proportionate to energy used against her) veers too closely to "automatic", since it would require her Semblance to automatically "record" that amount of energy and let her use that "record" when she charges up later. Whereas her Semblance responding to her level of injury is something that can happen entirely within the present moment that she charges up.

And what the hell does the text "not limited to physical attacks" mean? That her Semblance responds to damage taken from non-kinetic energy, like heat, or that she can use her Semblance to fuel "pure Aura" attacks or Dust-based attacks in addition to her body's movements?

I wouldn't be surprised if her mindset had something to do with it as well. Manifestation of the soul and all that.

If she ever became a legitimate masochist (and this show took a darker turn), she'd probably be extremely broken.

I'd already been thinking that, should Yang get into a stable relationship with someone she trusts very much, she would actually find it thrilling to be tied up and spanked every once in a while.

The bindings would be as much for her partner's safety as for the thrill, though. I mean, assuming that Yang's Semblance is something that can accidentally go off and break your pelvis.

This is getting a tad lewd folks XD

Also there's already a parody comic somewhere on the internet regarding that, Blake was enlightened.

I'd already been thinking that, should Yang get into a stable relationship with someone she trusts very much, she would actually find it thrilling to be tied up and spanked every once in a while.

The bindings would be as much for her partner's safety as for the thrill, though. I mean, assuming that Yang's Semblance is something that can accidentally go off and break your pelvis.

Back