RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
I mean, Raven by this point... she has to at least be pushing 40, right?

How young was she when she popped out Yang?

Last edited:
I mean, Raven by this point... she has to at least be pushing 40, right?
I thought all of team STQR were hovering in their 40's. Just by doing some quick math, they'd have started Beacon at 17, IIRC it's stated that training is 4 years, and Yang is 17 herself. So assuming that Raven and Tai had Yang right out of school they'd have been 21. So 21+17=38. And that's the youngest they're likely to be.

Last edited:
I thought all of team STQR were hovering in their 40's. Just by doing some quick math, they'd have started Beacon at 17, IIRC it's stated that training is 4 years, and Yang is 17 herself. So assuming that Raven and Tai had Yang right out of school they'd have been 21. So 21+17=28. And that's the youngest they're likely to be.

I think you forgot to carry a one there, unless you're implying some kind of timetravel shenanigans. :p

"listen kiddo. that bastard Ozpin, he made us immortal and gave us magical shapeshifting powers!"
"uh"
"I'm a fucking immortal bird now. an immortal bird."
"I... I'm not sure if I understand what you're complaining about."

And also consider that we're going back to Weiss' homeland, so unless Miles and Kerry have completely stopped giving a damn about character arcs, it's presumably going to involve her facing her father and finally breaking his hold over her. Thematically, you would think that would involve her taking a hard look at his crimes. Team RWBY has members who came from both sides of this conflict. Blake's faced her guilt over the past, so it should be Weiss' turn to do the same. Plus, we've had five frickin' volumes of fighting the White Fang, so it would be nice to change it up.
Good insights definitely agreed and yeah I would be much more comfortable going down that narrative road than fighting the WF again.

Oh we're definitively changing things up. Its no coincidence that the writers went so far out of their way to absolutely destroy Adam's hold on the White Fang, even having Ilia make a speech where she points out that nobody is going to follow him after this. Conflict from the White Fang in the future will almost certainly only come from Adam and maybe a few lone wolf radicals (I could see the Lieutenant staying on Team Salem to get a shot at the Schnees for example) instead of the organization as a whole being a enemy. By this point the heroes have grown past that anyway, terrorists scrounging up whatever gear and fighters they can from the bottom of a barrel just isn't a big threat. Now that the team has leveled up it makes sense to have them start fighting the top dogs of the world (Atlas, SDC, Salem's enforcers, ancient Grimm, etc) instead of underdogs like the White Fang or Torchwick. And possibly (and hopefully) more systematic issues that aren't so easy to resolve such as racism and economic disparity.
Solid insights there, I hope that's the direction it goes. I heard the lieutenant was actually made into a toy so he might pop up in Atlas thinking Adam is winning at Haven, or there may be a local WF chapter that don't even know what happened in Mistral and are still operating like normal, but without support and with the general in charge closing borders and becoming a major issue for everyone.

If you're linking that part from the AMA, might as well link this tumblr page which had a full list of all the stuff asked and answered:

Useful stuff here, also Winter is like, wow 23 max, good for her, already being in Ironwood's confidence so young and putting up a good fight against a Hunter like Qrow whose old enough to be her dad.

Harbinger.

Wow Qrow, how tryhard edgy were ypu as a teen?
Hahaha, such edge, it fits him so well!

And yet unlike most edgelords it works for him. He's still Best Drunkle.

Huh, I just saw something interesting...
I checked the Japanese dub version of RWBY, and it seems like they combined every two episodes to create like 1 episode that is approximately 24 minutes long
And as they did that, they also cut off some parts of the episode.
RWBY VOLUME 1-3: The Beginning <Japanese Dub>

That's a good example, they cut like half of the Qrow vs Winter fight. Start watching from around 16:00.
They also cut stuff like Ruby waving at Penny, some of the dialogue between Ironwood and Qrow and probably other stuff (I only watched it for like 4 minutes and I already noticed some stuff that are missing).

That's... Quite weird, and disappointing I guess.
It means that the Japanese version is objectively inferior :\

Personally I really enjoyed the Japanese dub, then again characters I hated had minimized roles and overall, I felt, told a tighter smoother narrative (Though it could only do so because it had several seasons to mesh together which the original didn't) with a stronger emphasis on RWBY which I preferred, plus some of the dialogue choices please me :D

Last edited:
Definitely biased af here, but the AMA also said they'd give more attention to Ruby next volume. I'm totally okay with this because I feel like WBY's personal issues were both more important and took up more screentime in general. We really haven't seen Ruby come to terms with Pyrrha dying or Penny getting torn to shreds (I won't be surprised in the slightest if another Penny shows up in V6 since they're going to Atlas).

Back