RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
With the white-fang style battle mask along with the red human eyes (signs of an iris unlike grim which simply have solid red orbs) that has a similar coloration to Yang's when she gets mad, brings up a somewhat odd train of thought.

If I remember right Monty once said we've already seen a Faunus with no animal traits along with the fact that Faunus and humans can apparently interbreed. Also we don't know if Yang's mother was a human or Faunus (hell we don't even have a name).

What if Yang is that human-appearing Faunus that was mentioned?

Neo's eyes change colour.

During her first appearance they're both initially brown but, if you watch closely, it changes every time she blinks. Her left eye goes from brown to pink and them back to brown.

The rest of her fight with Yang has her with one brown and one pink eye, but they occasionally switch positions.

Then they both turn Silver when the Mysterious stranger appears and she runs for it.

Possibly related to her semblance...think there was some speculation on this earlier.

This episode also had a very large bodycount. Every member of White Fang who didn't get killed by a bomb exploding on the car where their unconscious body was or knocked off the train was presumably messily devoured by the Grimm shortly thereafter. The ending scene has similar implications for the civilians. By comparison, confirmed deaths prior consist of Tucson the shop owner, with the fate of Junior's goons remaining unconfirmed. Shit got real I guess.

Don't forget all those people that Roman might have killed while he was in the mech, considering he was sending those cars flying EVERYwhere.

My only real problem with this episode was that a few scenes really killed a lot of the whole "running out of time" tension for me.

It's hard to be on the edge of your seat when the characters waste a few seconds standing still to deliver 'cool' lines or pause to tell their dog to go ahead and fight the giant robots.

I've seen a couple people suggest that. I just don't see Ruby dropping her Scythe though.

Clearly, Crescent Rose-sempai was tragically slain in a terrible battle in the future. The traumatized Ruby had no time to grieve for her sweetheart, for the war waged on. Ruby took up a new style of fighting because she couldn't bare to wield any scythe that wasn't her dearly departed partner.

Eventually, the tides turned against our heroes and they concocted a last desperate plan to send Ruby back in time to prevent the war, but her true goal is simply to save her beloved Crescent Rose.

Why the fuck did I type this? I blame Sucal.

So.

Anyone want to build a house?

Because I've got a toilet filled with bricks after today's episode.

Also, I don't think Oobleck's thermos has coffee in it. Unless it's irish coffee.

I don't understand what they're trying to achieve with this plan. Given the background material that's been revealed in the lead-up, I just don't understand what they could be shooting for.

Well, to be quite frank, the White Fang in their current form look like the worst sort of fanatic, so 'Vale dies screaming' might actually be what they get out of it.

I don't get what Cinder and her gang gets out of it, though.

I don't understand what they're trying to achieve with this plan. Given the background material that's been revealed in the lead-up, I just don't understand what they could be shooting for.

I think it's really just a distraction for some other operation. Roman putting himself on the train just made it a better distraction.

Well, to be quite frank, the White Fang in their current form look like the worst sort of fanatic, so 'Vale dies screaming' might actually be what they get out of it.

I don't get what Cinder and her gang gets out of it, though.
I suspect that the Grimm aren't intended to wipe out the city, merely to soften them up. Beacon Academy is, y'know, right there. Even given that these Grimm seem tougher than the average bear, I think the city's defenses, whatever they are, can handle it. They just won't be able to handle Cinder and Co. stomping in right after them with an army of giant robots in finest supervillain style.

Cinder's hack at the Tower will also probably come into play here, but I'm not sure exactly what it will do. Cut off Vale from the global network? Jam the city's communications to disrupt defenses? Hijack all the defending robots?

I've seen a couple people suggest that. I just don't see Ruby dropping her Scythe though.

I don't actually think that's true (My vote goes for Yang's mom, lady wanted to see her daughter's first mission!) but Future!Ruby would mean Bad!Future which means Dead Blake, Weiss and Yang. Which means Ruby could be honoring them with her new weapon choice.

It's... Oddly refreshing to see a female mysterious protector. Even with the female-dominated cast the old vets, parents and mentors have all been male so far. (Glynda doesn't even fit into any of those categories.)

I think it's really just a distraction for some other operation. Roman putting himself on the train just made it a better distraction.
There's a significant chance that this will result in one of the four bastions of humanity falling to the Grimm. What the fuck needs that big of a distraction?

I suspect that the Grimm aren't intended to wipe out the city, merely to soften them up. Beacon Academy is, y'know, right there. Even given that these Grimm seem tougher than the average bear, I think the city's defenses, whatever they are, can handle it. They just won't be able to handle Cinder and Co. stomping in right after them with an army of giant robots in finest supervillain style.

Cinder's hack at the Tower will also probably come into play here, but I'm not sure exactly what it will do. Cut off Vale from the global network? Jam the city's communications to disrupt defenses? Hijack all the defending robots?
Beacon was right there when Mountain Glenn fell, too.

Random thing to point out; If "Red" is Yang's mom...

Ruby's mom was "Summer" Rose... And that sounds pretty sunny...

Did Taiyang's daughters take their color theme from the mother that was not their biological one? In a world where that theme is actually a pretty important self-facet, does that actually have significant meaning?

AND ANOTHER THING.

Grimm are said to only attack humans. They never have explicitly said that they attack Faunus as well. This may explain how the White Fang where able to set up in a Grimm infested wasteland.

Last edited:
Back