RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
This episode has some pretty bad implications. If Grimm get stronger and smarter with age, over time you'll end up with more powerful and intelligent Grimm on average. Eventually Grimm will start to be on average more powerful than the hunters, and when that happens the humans are pretty boned.

This episode has some pretty bad implications. If Grimm get stronger and smarter with age, over time you'll end up with more powerful and intelligent Grimm on average. Eventually Grimm will start to be on average more powerful than the hunters, and when that happens the humans are pretty boned.

Well, keep in mind that that bit was stated a couple of episodes ago.

At the very least, it has been stated by Oobleck that the smarter and older Grimm (those elephant expies) are avoiding large settlements at the moment since they know that they can still be killed by sheer numbers.

Well, at least we know wildlife hasn't been totally displaced by Grimm.

Last edited:
Care to elaborate on that? And give them a break, Monty hardly gets a fraction of the sleep he needs already. Don't take away their much needed down-time. Besides its better to have a slow release schedule and high quality episodes than it is to have a swift release schedule with low quality episodes like we got a lot of last season.
And yet every cartoon that airs a new episode weekly.

So why should we cut them any slack when trying to critique the show results in the obvious logical conclusion of, "maybe they should have spent less time in the off season worrying about their rendering techniques, and more time working on episodes so they don't have this problem"? Or is RT still treated like an amateur whenever it's convenient to stifle constructive criticism?

So they've had a total of three breaks, big deal, they do the same thing with RvB, some weeks they have a PSA instead of a regular episode. Really, the only issue I have here is having to wait another week.

And while we can't treat them like amateurs anymore, they definitely can't be equated to a professional animation studio that produces cartoons for television just yet, they're still fairly small in comparison (I think RT itself has a total of 50-something employees and only a small chunk of them are involved in the actual production of RWBY, even less if you only count the people dealing with the technical side of things). And if I recall correctly, many cartoons do take breaks (quite a few actually) while the season is airing, many of which last even longer than a week, even the ones that update weekly.

I'm not saying RT is above criticism, they're most certainly not and neither is RWBY, there are things that are wrong with this Volume, despite it being a marked improvement from Volume 1, the animation for instance is still kinda choppy in places (Cinder's stealth scene, complete with disappearing and reappearing mask), there's a lot less of it but the awkward dialogue is still a problem (Both balcony scenes), and the pacing, while marginally better thanks to the increase in length, does still need work since we've only got two episodes left and we still haven't gotten a big confrontation between Cinder and her goons against Team RWBY (which was advertised in the opening, that damn lying opening).

What I'm saying is that this is the kind of stuff we should complain about, because they're still learning, and if we point it out, they'll listen and try to fix those problems, like they did after Volume 1.

A week without an episode is not something that warrants actual complaint, especially since they're still releasing content during that off-time. And hey, this was the last one for this season, so for those of you who really can't stand these breaks, it's all regular content from here on out.

I wonder if thinking happy thoughts can be used to hide from grimm?
I had a similar thought at work today, I imagined a community getting attacked by Grimm horror movie style but then they discovered that like in all horror movies the least qualified person somehow always survived. They realized it was because she was such a happy cloud cucko person that the Grimm were repelled by her... So then everybody got stoned to avoid drawing in more Grimm and the day was saved. And thus drugs took their place in history as the greatest discovery since Dust.

Its not that bad. A requirment for their growth seems to be having actual combat experience. Random grimm wandering on a depolulated continent for a couple of thousand years might not be any smarter than the average beowolf.

Edit:
On the opening lying to us. I'm fine dager with it just like I'm fine with the trailer. Openings and trailers should lie at least a little bit so that they don't give away whats going to happen in the story.

Last edited:
I had a similar thought at work today, I imagined a community getting attacked by Grimm horror movie style but then they discovered that like in all horror movies the least qualified person somehow always survived. They realized it was because she was such a happy cloud cucko person that the Grimm were repelled by her... So then everybody got stoned to avoid drawing in more Grimm and the day was saved. And thus drugs took their place in history as the greatest discovery since Dust.
Somehow, this theory causes Nora to make much more sense. She's so perky because she's stoned!

I just got around to watching this series. It was ok, not great.

I like Oobleck a lot.

They would have to in order to not be monsters.

Grim are apparently bad because of the lack of Aura. This is why Penny is so important and counts as a person, she is an AI with a real soul.
It would have been more interesting if Penny didn't have Aura. At least if the format wasn't 10-15min episodes and allowed for deeper development.

Back