RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
I mean... Do you really need the rest of it if the sword is that fucking huge and moving at hunter speeds?

Nope! But I just laugh at the Knight being like "Right, enough of me is here, KILL THE TARGET!" It's not the first time he's done it either. Remember when Weiss managed to summon just the arm and sword during the Beacon battle?

Yeah..... That V3 moment was hype. The appearance of the knight (even just an arm), which was well developed in later volumes too.

Okay, it's not actually fair to blame Barry. They realized a few years later having a hero as the cause of reality being fucked up was probably a bad idea and made it Dr Manhattans doing instead, because DC loves to squeeze all the money out of Watchmen that they can, but I'm still bitter because my Flash was Wally West, the most successful legacy hero ever, who also had the advantage of not being Whitebread Blandy Blandern, and... *Gestures at the last 15+ years of comics*

Yeah you can blame Dan Didio for that he hated non silver age characters and to a lesser degree Geoff Johns.

Some people on twitter are theorizing its the reverse flash, who also gave the flash his crossover outfit as a joke.

I'm kinda wondering what the DC crossover would be like if, instead of the Justice League, the teenage heroes wound up on Remnant. Maybe include a teenage Jon Kent/Superboy and Damian Wayne/Robin.

...which makes me wonder if Damian would be a bird Faunus (more specifically a robin Faunus).

I think the struggle with crossing the younger heroes over with Remnant is the exact teams and groups have become far more messy in the intervening years, and only a few of the members are notably enough to potentially help carry a film. If they are aiming for the widest possible audience the Justice League is the most natural and easiest choice.

I think given Damian's whole thing is being the on of the Bat, that he would probably be a bat Faunus, or maybe something more from his mothers side?

Apt:

Citadel Of My Thoughts

That’s the thing, it’s not even a fic. It’s an *outline* Even the worst fic writer has more talent than Celtic.

Oh hey, it's the guy that had to have it explained to him why people might think less of a 'rewrite' for having a scene where the teenage girls are all naked in a bathhouse and a creepy older man is making sexual comments about their figure!

Seriously guys, why bring up that guy here? Bad enough he's running around accusing people of being Lillith because they don't like a spitekinkfic.

Last edited:
Oh hey, it's the guy that had to have it explained to him why people might think less of a 'rewrite' for having a scene where the teenage girls are all naked in a bathhouse and a creepy older man is making sexual comments about their figure!

Seriously guys, why bring up that guy here? Bad enough he's running around accusing people of being Lillith because they don't like a spitekinkfic.

Isnt almost the entire cast besides Oscar/Ruby, adults? Also, does a single scene make something into a kinkfic? One can criticize FRWBY for not the greatest writing if one wishes, but these kind of responses seem to be over the top.

Its a fanwork like any other, and should be celebrated as much as it can be criticized.

Seriously, why DID that fic make Roman the creepy older guy who makes disturbing comments about teenagers? We already had two people to fill that role in the source material. Shady and Adam, and they both got what was coming to them.

Roman's the guy that got in over his head and was too afraid to take any of the ways out, until he'd become a mass murderer responsible for the near fall of a kingdom. Entirely different style of character.

Isnt almost the entire cast besides Oscar/Ruby, adults? Also, does a single scene make something into a kinkfic? One can criticize FRWBY for not the greatest writing if one wishes, but these kind of responses seem to be over the top.

Its a fanwork like any other, and should be celebrated as much as it can be criticized.
Calling it a fic is a massive stretch, it isn't even a written script, it at most is a half-baked outline saying. The sexualization of minors and incredibly rapey and dehumanizing elements played like they are a good addition make it a horrible thing that should only be criticized. And this doesn't even go into the character derailment that it constantly indulges in.

Calling it a fic is a massive stretch, it isn't even a written script, it at most is a half-baked outline saying. The sexualization of minors and incredibly rapey and dehumanizing elements played like they are a good addition make it a horrible thing that should only be criticized. And this doesn't even go into the character derailment that it constantly indulges in.

Sexualization of what minors? Which parts are rapey and dehumanizing, also, its a rewrite, characters being rewriten is part of the design. As i have said previously, one can engage in genuine criticism of FRWBY, but this seem to overblowing issues heavily for no reason.

Now, you can make an argument for fanfic that characters going off down other paths is more than understandable, but at the same time, when you're claiming to make a rewrite of the source material, be it changes to pacing, or certain plot elements, there are expectations that the characters aren't entirely new characters with old names, such as Vernal in V5.

Speaking of, one thing about Raven in the original material is that she didn't try to involve people she actually cared about. Vernal there was a random gang member of the right age to pass for a decoy. Now, Raven DID care for Vernal more than she ever admitted, which bit her in the ass in the end. But to make her Ravens actual daughter actually makes Ravens actions, both with Vernal, but also with the family she left behind, much more contemptible.

Isnt almost the entire cast besides Oscar/Ruby, adults?

... I want you to think about this line for a moment. Really THINK about it.

Last edited:
Now, you can make an argument for fanfic that characters going off down other paths is more than understandable, but at the same time, when you're claiming to make a rewrite of the source material, be it changes to pacing, or certain plot elements, there are expectations that the characters aren't entirely new characters with old names, such as Vernal in V5.

Speaking of, one thing about Raven in the original material is that she didn't try to involve people she actually cared about. Vernal there was a random gang member of the right age to pass for a decoy. Now, Raven DID care for Vernal more than she ever admitted, which bit her in the ass in the end. But to make her Ravens actual daughter actually makes Ravens actions, both with Vernal, but also with the family she left behind, much more contemptible.

... I want you to think about this line for a moment. Really THINK about it.

Think about what? If you are complaining about the depiction of Ruby, why are you making generalizing statements and using plurals? I genuinely do not understand your point.

And if this is all about the depiction of Ruby, i have not seen such anger aimed at a writer of RWBY who has a literal body pillow of Ruby.

Last edited:
Sexualization of what minors? Which parts are rapey and dehumanizing, also, its a rewrite, characters being rewriten is part of the design. As i have said previously, one can engage in genuine criticism of FRWBY, but this seem to overblowing issues heavily for no reason.
Heat cycles, Ozpin/Torchwich/ creeping on people despite having a position of power on multiple occasions, everything with Vernal, and the whole love-your-abuser vibes from the Velvet and Cardin ship.

And there are characters getting changed and then there is blatant character bashing like with Weiss basically being turned into a racist who thinks Fanus are subhuman for volume one and Yang going into a panic attack over a tunnel.

If you want more general criticism a lot of the decisions are just plainly nonsensical, for instance, the whole Torchwich thing. Celtic literally went no cop-outs to save anyone, and cops-out to save his favorite character and push him into a leading role which also breaks the rules of the setting. Also just going full stations of canon is the last thing you ever want to do when making a massive AU that diverges from before even the word go, it just is creatively bankrupt.

Back