RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
Apologies if I was unclear, but that is not what I was aiming to do, so much as I was trying to highlight what I felt to be a rather overt double standard at play in regards to this kind of thing is when coming from Lets Watch readers, not actually offering my opinion on the subject, as it stands I blame bad writing.

Well, in that case we're not actually in disagreement?

Bad writing is the cause of everything I've complained about, with a side order of bad direction and visual storytelling. Everything about any fictional character is only true because of how they've been written, after all.

Hell, if you want legitimate criticism of the show, check out the few posts made before this particular shitshow started, where a really sensible point about how using Jaune's older character design ideas could have made him a more believable and interesting character was made.

I mean, that thread of discussion lasted about 3 posts, I'm not sure how good an example it counts as. But hey, please feel free to actually talk about it more.

So in other words....we aren't blaming Yang, Pyrrha or Jaune for anything in this context then, yes?

No. As far as I can tell, he's saying that if you're going to blame one of them, you have to blame all of them. If Yang encouraging Jaune is a sign that she's a bad person, then Pyrrha doing the same is a sign of the same.

5. The scene you linked is from several episodes after the one where she wants to leave it alone. So, yes, if I had known at the time that the dog had any supernatural powers beyond the ability to be mailed, I probably would have taken Yang's actions there differently. As it is, in light of the previous events, I took Yang's assertion that the dog could use the can opener itself to be facetious. The fact that Ruby decided to take the dog with her instead of leaving it to fend for itself suggested, at the time, that she knew that the dog COULDN'T fend for itself, and her silently doing that without confronting Yang about it was hilariously in line with my previous reading of their interactions.

Like I said, I very much doubt that either of us are going to convince each other about Yang's portrayal at this point. However, I hope I have at least convinced you that I came to my interpretations honestly and am not arguing in bad faith. If I have, then please, answer the question of mine that I asked before:

What makes you think I was motivated by self-reinforcing hate-koolaid, when most of my feedback during the early episodes was from people who actually like RWBY?
While your other complaints do have varying levels of merit, this one doesn't.
1. It is a comedy scene. Would you criticize Bugs Bunny for manipulating events to get Daffy Duck shot in the face?
2. " beyond the ability to be mailed" You don't need more than that. You already know that the dog can squeeze into a tube smaller than it's own body, with a can opener and a pile of dog food also inside of it. And it can survive in that state long enough to be shipped to the school. Based on this, the dog being able to use a can opener is not remotely unusual.

Trying to use that scene as evidence that Yang is a bad person is ludicrous, and makes your entire argument less credible by it's inclusion

No. As far as I can tell, he's saying that if you're going to blame one of them, you have to blame all of them. If Yang encouraging Jaune is a sign that she's a bad person, then Pyrrha doing the same is a sign of the same.

Two reasons.

One is that we barely ever see Pyrrha interact with Weiss (and when we do, its indirect interaction through other people at the lunch table), and she's pretty aloof in general. I can easily believe she was just oblivious to Weiss' lack of interest. I can't really do that with Weiss' opposite-of-aloof roommate.

The other is that Pyrrha, as I've complained about at length, is basically written as Jaune's Waifu throughout seasons one and two, and I have trouble even seeing her as a character with motivations of her own at all so much as a hot-girl-shaped accessory for the male audience insert character. That (thankfully) started to change in season 3, but that's much later than the events we're talking about.

Last edited:
Isn't that the same thing, practically speaking?
Unless we are blaming all of them.

I mean, that thread of discussion lasted about 3 posts, I'm not sure how good an example it counts as. But hey, please feel free to actually talk about it more.

Uh, sure. I mean, I'm on the bus and can't see the images, but off the top of my head...

I think farmerboi Jaune would have been a good move from a character standpoint - explaining his natural strength and tenacity - but conflating him with Oscar would've been fucking terrible. Giving Pyrrha the circlet was a nice touch I think - reminiscent of Akhilleus' crown as prince - as was moving Blake from anime heterochromia to cat-gold eyes. The former just feels kinda tacky?

The other is that Pyrrha, as I've complained about at length, is basically written as Jaune's Waifu throughout seasons one and two, and I have trouble even seeing her as a character with motivations of her own at all so much as a hot-girl-shaped accessory for the male audience insert character.

I don't completely agree with that, but it's definitely a fair point.

Two reasons.

One is that we barely ever see Pyrrha interact with Weiss (and when we do, its indirect interaction through other people at the lunch table), and she's pretty aloof in general. I can easily believe she was just oblivious to Weiss' lack of interest. I can't really do that with Weiss' opposite-of-aloof roommate.

The other is that Pyrrha, as I've complained about at length, is basically written as Jaune's Waifu throughout seasons one and two, and I have trouble even seeing her as a character with motivations of her own at all so much as a hot-girl-shaped accessory for the male audience insert character.
I think the issue here is that you're not supposed to see Jaune as creepy for hitting on Weiss or Yang as cruel for encouraging it. Jaune is pathetic, stupid, and clearly way out of his league but he isn't supposed to be creepy or malicious. It's meant to be funny to watch this guy play way above his level, the same way Danny hitting on Paulina or Timmy hitting on Trixie is funny. Again you're approaching what is broadly speaking a show written in the same vein as most teen oriented action shows as an adult with an adult perspective. I won't say that's wrong outright, but it's like going into a Fast and the Furious movies and trying to look at it like a taught grounded spy thriller. You're just not using the right eyes here. What you're saying is not wrong or incorrect, just that you're applying criteria that the show was never meant to meet.

So in other words....we aren't blaming Yang, Pyrrha or Jaune for anything in this context then, yes?
I was addressing the threads view, also what Leingod said.

Isn't that the same thing, practically speaking?
Unless we are blaming all of them.
No because it is addressing the people who come in here from the other thread and bash Yang but never apply those same critiques to other characters doing the same or worse things by their own judgement of Yang, implying a degree of hypocrisy or double standards at work. I am calling that out, not offering an opinion on the subject matter itself.

Well, in that case we're not actually in disagreement?

Bad writing is the cause of everything I've complained about, with a side order of bad direction and visual storytelling. Everything about any fictional character is only true because of how they've been written, after all.
Bad direction/storytelling ETC is up to personal debate and taste, we have laid out our reasons for thinking your "psychopath Yang" rationale does not hold up, citing in universe actions and reaction, to the tone of the show, to the zeitgeist to common tropes and visual shorthand, all of which you ignore or dismiss.

Obvious MC walks into bar in shady looking area of town, suited henchmen in eye obscuring wear wander around glaring holding weapons, Obvious MC uses common 'interrogation' methods seen in tons of media to pressure an answer out of obvious leader of the gang and info broker, gets her answer, lets go, he leaves seemingly annoyed but otherwise unhurt and threatens her. Obvious MC offers him a kiss with a giggle, despite his previous note of her being underage, he goes for it, get hit, has little cartoons flying around his head as if the light tone was not being clearly hinted at enough. Criminal mooks attack, no one bleeds, mini bosses are defeated and leave, boss returns, again, largely unhurt, they fight, he loses, there is no blood, the other obvious MC from the previous trailer barely comments on the proceedings, indicating it is no big deal, trailer ends.

Obvious MC, shady locale, noted leader of armed thug holds a position of power, no blood cartoons physics, no one comments on death, blood, torture or anguish or anything remotely like that.

If you see all that and still reach some "she is a psychopath, despite all the tone and lack of blood and framing." then to me, that is on you. Obviously you don't have to like it,but I am not going to be able to take you seriously in terms of a debate about any media if that is how you approach it.

1. There's a big difference between hitting someone in the privates (possibly not even on purpose, if I recall the scene in question correctly) during a fight, and grabbing and squeezing them unprovoked. One is fighting dirty (again, assuming it was intentional). The other is sexual assault.

I don't understand where you're getting this confident assertion that none of the mooks were dead, and that no one was acting as if there was deadly danger, because that's not what I saw at all. We saw Junior and the Twins getting up again after Yang beat them, but they were already established to be superhuman fighters with superhuman endurance, while the nameless henchmen were not. We don't see any of those henchmen getting back up, and honestly the fact that we see the superhumans being fine afterward but NOT the normal people is far more incriminating than just seeing a random selection of them getting up would have been. At this point in the show, we haven't had aura explained to us (and even now that I know about aura, its workings are inconsistent enough that its very hard to infer what's deadly and what isn't).

Everyone reacted to Yang sucker-punching Junior across the room as if this was a deadly fight. The dancers panicked and fled. Junior's gang jumped to his defense using what certainly appeared to be deadly weapons, and they were willing to risk massive damage to their establishment in order to put Yang down. The only sign throughout the entire sequence that anyone wasn't taking it that seriously was the twins quipping to each other before engaging Yang...but I'd already seen Torchwick do that during what was definitely a serious engagement in "Ruby Rose," so I couldn't exactly take that to mean much of anything about the seriousness of the fight.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that the writers INTENDED for this to be a scene depicting a roguish, but likable, action heroine bravely taking on the criminal underworld as she pursues her personal quest. I can actually point to just a few specific things that they could have done differently that would have brought the product much closer in line with their presumable intent. But, as far as I can see, they just failed to actually do it.

Every single person who I showed the Yellow trailer to had the same reaction, by the way, except for those who said it was too dumb to even assess on that level. So, even if I'm off base, I think the reason I ended up offbase is innate to the scene itself and not just my own biases.

2. With this one, all I can really do is repeat what I've already said. Yang implies that Ruby needs to make more friends, but then calls her away from the boy she was happily talking to (ignoring his dejected expression) to stand beside her at the assembly.

(Now, what's baffling about that scene is why Jaune couldn't have just followed Ruby, and all three of them stood together. It really doesn't make much sense at all, as written and animated. What I suspect is that there was a miscommunication between the writers and the animators, and the scene was supposed to be in an assembly hall with a finite number of seats. I could be wrong, but that's the most plausible explanation, and the alternative is that its just pure nonsense.)

The same thing basically happens again with the locker room scene being followed by Yang hunting down Ruby in the forest test. We see her telling Ruby that she needs to stop relying on her and go make friends of her own, but then calling Ruby BACK to herself and getting in the way of that.

The show seemed to be trying to communicate that Yang is a popular girl that has many friends of her own. However, not a single friend of hers ever comes up in the show again after she disappears into that one crowd of shadow people, and - going by the scene where she and Ruby try to befriend Blake during their first night at Beacon - she definitely comes across as the more socially awkward of the two.

Now, if I just saw these scenes on their own, I'd have concluded that Yang has some minor abandonment issues and doesn't realize that she's getting in Ruby's way of making friends even as she tries to encourage her. But I saw them following on the heels of the Yellow trailer, with all of its aforementioned issues, so a pretty consistent picture of who Yang is as a person was coming together.

You seem to have skipped a couple of numbers here, but I'll just go to the next integer provided.

5. The scene you linked is from several episodes after the one where she wants to leave it alone. So, yes, if I had known at the time that the dog had any supernatural powers beyond the ability to be mailed, I probably would have taken Yang's actions there differently. As it is, in light of the previous events, I took Yang's assertion that the dog could use the can opener itself to be facetious. The fact that Ruby decided to take the dog with her instead of leaving it to fend for itself suggested, at the time, that she knew that the dog COULDN'T fend for itself, and her silently doing that without confronting Yang about it was hilariously in line with my previous reading of their interactions.
1. The various arguments regarding media, zeitgeist and also how not bothered by this Junior was when they reunited have already been brought up, though I would now like ot extend that to the fact, it is even less likely for him to be gruff with Yang, deny her info fearlessly, snap at her cohort and slam his drink on the table around her if he was scared or his mooks had died. Also as to mooks dying, they got hit in the chest with shotgun rounds and there was no blood or references to loss of life. Dancers, IE civilians in a gangster club leaving when a big fight breaks out does not necessarily indicated deadly force. If you are going to cite "other people" as a back up, what about the 109k people who liked it? Plus they'd already been brandishing weapons prior to the fight or her altercation with Junior and when he threatened her, I don't see how using them indicates much of anything beyond, they are armed goons and they used their arms.

2. How would Yang know he has a dejected expression or that they were happily talking at such a distance, plus she did not make Ruby move, she said she saved her a spot.

OK, you haven't actually countered Mooks argument, you are just repeating your previous one while ignoring what they said so this is not something I intend to weigh in on further.

I think the issue here is that you're not supposed to see Jaune as creepy for hitting on Weiss or Yang as cruel for encouraging it. Jaune is pathetic, stupid, and clearly way out of his league but he isn't supposed to be creepy or malicious. It's meant to be funny to watch this guy play way above his level, the same way Danny hitting on Paulina or Timmy hitting on Trixie is funny. Again you're approaching what is broadly speaking a show written in the same vein as most teen oriented action shows as an adult with an adult perspective. I won't say that's wrong outright, but it's like going into a Fast and the Furious movies and trying to look at it like a taught grounded spy thriller. You're just not using the right eyes here. What you're saying is not wrong or incorrect, just that you're applying criteria that the show was never meant to meet.
I mean, if this show were to be judged by those standards, then the creeper complaint becomes worse, not better. The kind of gags you compare this two aren't good either, and depending on one's viewpoint, are very bad to show to kids and teens.

It's actually pretty easy to see why Jaune is disliked for those scenes: The girl he's hitting on is also a main character, not one who exists just to facilitate this gag

I mean, if this show were to be judged by those standards, then the creeper complaint becomes worse, not better. The kind of gags you compare this two aren't good either, and depending on one's viewpoint, are very bad to show to kids and teens.

It's actually pretty easy to see why Jaune is disliked for those scenes: The girl he's hitting on is also a main character, not one who exists just to facilitate this gag
I mean I don't see how the whole gag is that the guy in this situation is totally hopeless and totally out of his league. It's always funny to watch a guy strike out so hard he spins around like a top.

I mean I don't see how the whole gag is that the guy in this situation is totally hopeless and totally out of his league. It's always funny to watch a guy strike out so hard he spins around like a top.
Generally speaking? Its because lots of guys actually do, do that in real life, IE, repeatedly asking out or getting into the personal lives and space of women who have rejected them or are not interested and won't leave and given we are generally meant to seemingly feel bad for the guy that adds another layer to it as well. Which can and does make it very uncomfortable for many, who either feel it reinforces harmful ideas/behavior or because it reminds them of stuff they themselves have dealt with.

Generally speaking? Its because lots of guys actually do, do that in real life, IE, repeatedly asking out or getting into the personal lives and space of women who have rejected them or are not interested and won't leave and given we are generally meant to seemingly feel bad for the guy that adds another layer to it as well. Which can and does make it very uncomfortable for many, who either feel it reinforces harmful ideas/behavior or because it reminds them of stuff they themselves have dealt with.
If you don't find it funny that's fine, but that doesn't mean that the situation isn't meant to be seen as a joke. Treating a joke as if it is being played straight is just silly. It's one thing to say "having Jaune strike out isn't funny" it's another to say "Jaune is repeatedly harassing Weiss and everyone is ok with it." It's not that they're ok with harassment, it's that they see him as a joke and laugh at his failure.

If you don't find it funny that's fine, but that doesn't mean that the situation isn't meant to be seen as a joke. Treating a joke as if it is being played straight is just silly. It's one thing to say "having Jaune strike out isn't funny" it's another to say "Jaune is repeatedly harassing Weiss and everyone is ok with it." It's not that they're ok with harassment, it's that they see him as a joke and laugh at his failure.
I was not trying to start a debate,merely clarify the most common reasons I have seen for this reaction, I am keeping out of the approve or disapprove section of this discourse as it will only muddy the waters of an already convoluted and long-spanning debate.

Just because it's treated like a joke doesn't mean it okay to be treated as a joke. Blackface is usually used as part of a joke, but that doesn't make it okay

(Note that this is a critique on the writing, not the characters, at least from me)

And at least unlike most shows, there's no tease that Weiss secretly likes him or wants him when he stops pursuing her. Weiss is never interested, start to finish, and Jaune's never rewarded for his pursuit, so you can't really claim that the show is encouraging his behavior.

And at least unlike most shows, there's no tease that Weiss secretly likes him or wants him when he stops pursuing her. Weiss is never interested, start to finish, and Jaune's never rewarded for his pursuit, so you can't really claim that the show is encouraging his behavior.

Yeah, this. I was very glad when the show had Jaune learn his lesson and stop going after Weiss, and portrayed this as a positive thing.

Though I had some issues with how it was done, I was pleased that the show at least did it.

All right, well that was engaging, anyway I am off to bed cos its like 2am here and I have no idea if/when I'll be back, good luck yall.

2. How would Yang know he has a dejected expression or that they were happily talking at such a distance, plus she did not make Ruby move, she said she saved her a spot.
Adding on to that, she still wouldn't have forced Ruby to abandon Jaune. The place is standing room only, if Ruby had wanted to she could have asked him along and the could have made room.

As far as I can see, Yang calling her over was part of what she meant at the landing pad and before chosing teams. That is, she wants to spend time together still, but not all time so Ruby can grow.

Yeah, but that kind of ties in to what I was pointing out earlier about applying the same standards to characters.
If it is reasonable to think Jaunes behavior here makes him a creep; then it is reasonable to think that Yang encouraging it makes her a bitch/creep.

Yeah, but that kind of ties in to what I was pointing out earlier about applying the same standards to characters.
If it is reasonable to think Jaunes behavior here makes him a creep; then it is reasonable to think that Yang encouraging it makes her a bitch/creep.

Thank you for making this point, as I think it highlights the issue that quite a few posters (including myself) have failed to communicate to each other.

When you're looking at a work of fiction, there's always the dichotomy between what the characters are doing, and what the writers are doing. "Psychopath Yang" was a product of me looking at what the writers had done, and trying to read some kind of sensible characterization into their creation. She wasn't always written in a way that lends itself to that interpretation, but it happened often enough (and mostly toward the beginning of the show) that it was my best fit solution for quite a while.

What caused me to STOP my Let's Watch, by the way, is also related to this. The bad and inconsistent writing got to the point where I could no longer force myself to see any of the characters as people at all, or the setting as an actual world. Best fit solutions stopped working. And, at that point, there's not much use in trying to engage with the work.

Last edited:
I don't understand where you're getting this confident assertion that none of the mooks were dead, and that no one was acting as if there was deadly danger, because that's not what I saw at all. We saw Junior and the Twins getting up again after Yang beat them, but they were already established to be superhuman fighters with superhuman endurance, while the nameless henchmen were not. We don't see any of those henchmen getting back up, and honestly the fact that we see the superhumans being fine afterward but NOT the normal people is far more incriminating than just seeing a random selection of them getting up would have been. At this point in the show, we haven't had aura explained to us (and even now that I know about aura, its workings are inconsistent enough that its very hard to infer what's deadly and what isn't).

Everyone reacted to Yang sucker-punching Junior across the room as if this was a deadly fight. The dancers panicked and fled. Junior's gang jumped to his defense using what certainly appeared to be deadly weapons, and they were willing to risk massive damage to their establishment in order to put Yang down. The only sign throughout the entire sequence that anyone wasn't taking it that seriously was the twins quipping to each other before engaging Yang...but I'd already seen Torchwick do that during what was definitely a serious engagement in "Ruby Rose," so I couldn't exactly take that to mean much of anything about the seriousness of the fight.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that the writers INTENDED for this to be a scene depicting a roguish, but likable, action heroine bravely taking on the criminal underworld as she pursues her personal quest. I can actually point to just a few specific things that they could have done differently that would have brought the product much closer in line with their presumable intent. But, as far as I can see, they just failed to actually do it.
And I don't understand where you're getting this confident assertion that any of the mooks were dead, and that anyone was acting as if there was deadly danger, because that's not what I saw at all.

The Red Trailer shows Ruby blowing huge chunks out of wolf monsters with every shot of her rifle. She casually dismembers arms and legs and cuts several of them in half, some vertically and some horizontally. The White Trailer shows Weiss bleeding from the forehead after taking a heavy blow that actually hurt her. The Black Trailer shows Blake and Adam cutting robots in half, shooting them up badly enough that they explode, etc and also shows that humans can get shot through thick steel walls by a energy cannon without taking any injuries. Meanwhile the Yang character short shows Yang shooting people at point blank range with explosive shotgun/flare bullets and the result is... That people get knocked around a bit and fall unconscious. No one bleeds. No one loses any limbs or get obliterated by an explosion. No one gets any burns and no one reacts with a big "Bill! NOOOOO!" as they watch their comrades get knocked down. There is no focus on any dead bodies lying around. Meanwhile one episode later we see Ruby hit one of the same henchmen into the ground so hard that it craters the concrete and sends huge chunks of debris flying into the air, when reprimanding her later Glynda chides Ruby for being reckless but never brings up murder or manslaughter. We don't need to have Aura explained to us to realize that these people are clearly superhuman, we just need to compare what happens when Ruby shoots a wolf monster and what happens when Yang shoots a random gangster. Superhuman anime characters is hardly a rare trope, One Piece for example was infamous for several decades about how nobody ever died outside of flashbacks, even random mooks could take an insane amount of abuse. Avatar: The Last Airbender has people chunk multi-ton rocks at each other in friendly sparring matches or when roughhousing, without ever explicitly stating that people in this world are super-humanly durable.

The dancers panicked and fled... Because they don't want to be involved in a bar brawl between gangsters and a anime protagonist. And yeah no shit Junior's goons jumped to his defense, that's what they get paid for. And no swords and guns don't look super deadly when previous trailers have established that trains are guarded by giant mechs and killer robots that can nonetheless be easily defeated by two teenagers with attitude. For fucks sake the fight with Yang literally starts with Looney Toons style swirly stars over Junior's head, this is not a fight that is in any way being presented as a serious threat to life or limb of any of the combatants:

The mooks are even ripped straight from Kung Fu Hustle's Axe Gang, the same people who survive shit like this and only get knocked out:

As @Zam said if you watch all this stuff and come away with the conclusion that this is a deadly situation rather than a cartoonish kung fu action scene where no one gets seriously hurt then that is on you, not the writers.

2. With this one, all I can really do is repeat what I've already said. Yang implies that Ruby needs to make more friends, but then calls her away from the boy she was happily talking to (ignoring his dejected expression) to stand beside her at the assembly

(Now, what's baffling about that scene is why Jaune couldn't have just followed Ruby, and all three of them stood together. It really doesn't make much sense at all, as written and animated. What I suspect is that there was a miscommunication between the writers and the animators, and the scene was supposed to be in an assembly hall with a finite number of seats. I could be wrong, but that's the most plausible explanation, and the alternative is that its just pure nonsense.)

The same thing basically happens again with the locker room scene being followed by Yang hunting down Ruby in the forest test. We see her telling Ruby that she needs to stop relying on her and go make friends of her own, but then calling Ruby BACK to herself and getting in the way of that.

The show seemed to be trying to communicate that Yang is a popular girl that has many friends of her own. However, not a single friend of hers ever comes up in the show again after she disappears into that one crowd of shadow people, and - going by the scene where she and Ruby try to befriend Blake during their first night at Beacon - she definitely comes across as the more socially awkward of the two.

Now, if I just saw these scenes on their own, I'd have concluded that Yang has some minor abandonment issues and doesn't realize that she's getting in Ruby's way of making friends even as she tries to encourage her. But I saw them following on the heels of the Yellow trailer, with all of its aforementioned issues, so a pretty consistent picture of who Yang is as a person was coming together.
And what you said makes no actual sense. Yang called Ruby over, she did not tell her to not bring her friend, that was all on Ruby. Even then Jaune rejoins the conversation the moment Ozpin is done with his speech so I really cannot fathom why you are making such a big deal out of it.

Now like you said its possible that there is a animation goof, its quite plausible even since the first volume was clearly made on a shoestring budget. They didn't even have the resources to make generic background characters back then, aside from the few scenes that demanded it everyone in the background was just a black silhouette.

As pointed out earlier we also never get to see anyone else's friends either aside from the characters that are actually relevant. Hell for all we know Coco was one of Yang's friends and that's how Ruby and co knew them. Again we're talking about a show with such limited resources that when Episode 1 of Volume 3 aired the animation team didn't even have the time to make a model for Ruby's father and just replaced him with a obvious cardboard cutout. We never even get to see Professor Peach or any of the other teachers at Beacon beyond Glynda, Port and Oobleck. And yet you seriously want to argue that the absence of a group of friends that are completely irrelevant to the plot is a sign of Yang being a friendless psycho instead of yet another symptom of the show lacking the budget to flesh out the school setting properly? Well suffice to say that's not a argument that I'm willing to take very seriously.

Also let's accept that Yang lacks many friends. Why doesn't any of her friends on Team JNPR, RWBY and CVFY count? Surely if she was some kind of twisted individual trying to keep her sister all to herself she would try to isolate Ruby from her friends instead of hanging out to play board games with them or playfully tossing food with them at dinner.

I have to tell you Leila, I'm not really seeing a psycho loner in that scene. Also you're basing your "consistent" picture on a trailer where a guy had literal cartoon hearts circling his head. That really cannot be restated enough.

The only hilarious thing here is your insane conclusions.

By all means, show me where Ruby or Weiss expresses any concern about Zwei's well-being here. :rolleyes:
(hint: she doesn't, the scene is clearly framed as her falling for the cute doggo face and then getting a clever idea to sneak it with her).

Also Ruby justifies bringing the dog with "you hadn't told me to listen to you yet, so I didn't" instead of the much more sympathetic "but he would have starved if I left him alone! :cry:"

Like I said, I very much doubt that either of us are going to convince each other about Yang's portrayal at this point. However, I hope I have at least convinced you that I came to my interpretations honestly and am not arguing in bad faith. If I have, then please, answer the question of mine that I asked before:

What makes you think I was motivated by self-reinforcing hate-koolaid, when most of my feedback during the early episodes was from people who actually like RWBY?
The fact that those people who :turian:actually like RWBY:turian:actually buy into your batshit theories.

And you've certainly convinced me that you are way to invested in your... unique interpretations to be worth arguing with. I will concede that you actually believe the stuff you're saying. I don't think I want to fathom how your mind even works in order for that to be the case but I can accept that you aren't being dishonest.

Interesting. I do think that of in essence showing Jaune as basically someone who worked on a farm would've likely helped in terms of a character aspect probably.
My personal hope for the future is that his family built their house on one of those floating island things and live a nomadic life sailing around Remnant. It could explain him going to vacation in frontier towns like Shion while still seeming to be so sheltered.

Last edited:
The fact that those people who :turian:actually like RWBY:turian:actually buy into your batshit theories.

And you've certainly convinced me that you are way to invested in your... unique interpretations to be worth arguing with. I will concede that you actually believe the stuff you're saying. I don't think I want to fathom how your mind even works in order for that to be the case but I can accept that you aren't being dishonest.

I don't know how many times I need to tell you that this was definitely not the case in the thread's early pages, and that people like @Jcogginsa and @hellgodsrus were among my most frequent contributers to begin with, but if you're not willing to accept that easily verifiable fact and engage with me accordingly, well, I did my best.

I don't know how many times I need to tell you that this was definitely not the case in the thread's early pages, and that people like @Jcogginsa and @hellgodsrus were among my most frequent contributers to begin with, but if you're not willing to accept that easily verifiable fact and engage with me accordingly, well, I did my best.
Alright. I concede that some actual fans bought into your theories. Those theories are still complete and utter bullshit.

Back