RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
Qrow and Raven remind me of Huginn and Muninn, a pair of ravens in Norse mythology that fly around the world to bring information to Odin. I can't believe Raven is old enough to be a mother, she looks just as young as Yang or even RWBY, but I like how her new model looks less like a recoloured copy of her daughter. She also kinda looks like Kraehe from Princess Tutu :U (man I really love corvids...).

Qrow and Raven remind me of Huginn and Muninn, a pair of ravens in Norse mythology that fly around the world to bring information to Odin. I can't believe Raven is old enough to be a mother, she looks just as young as Yang or even RWBY, but I like how her new model looks less like a recoloured copy of her daughter. She also kinda looks like Kraehe from Princess Tutu :U (man I really love corvids...).
She's got small lines under her eyes.

Peter Port also has wrinkles that Poser didn't allow before.

its weird that that rooster teeth took everyones headcanon that raven is a bitch and is someone who is concerned for world in her own fucked up way.
It blows my mind that you would think Raven's characterization or motivations are in any way, shape, or form inspired by the FANBASE rather than planned out since before Volume 1 began.

That seems very small-minded and arrogant... or else you don't know that much about how people go about writing stories.

the old beacon headmaster (probably Salem)
Ozpin is older than the Great War and it's implied that he was involved in redesigning the society of the four kingdoms at the Vytal Accords, especially the creation of the hunter academies. Why would you think he was anything other than Beacon's first and only headmaster?

Further, Salem is referred to as a queen. This is likely literal; she was probably the queen of the enemy against which the four kingdoms banded together to fight. The kingdom which held the world's only unnamed continent, on which were built the uniquely red-colored settlements in Qrow's World of Remnant: Vale. Settlements which all vanished, whereas across the world only a few of each color vanished.

raven probably had a whole arc where she had to decide whether she wants to stay with her newfound family with Tai or does she stay true to the people who raised her... she made her choice. who knows if she regrets its or not
At the very least, we know that she does keep tabs on Yang, given that she rescued her the one time and Qrow is certain that she already knew about the lost arm. For her to keep watching Yang without ever showing herself or even voluntarily talking about her, I imagine that Yang is a VERY sore spot for Raven. A constant contradiction within her worldview.

Raven could have taken Yang home with her, and raised her as Raven was raised. But Raven instead left Yang with Taiyang, to be raised according to a "normal" life. I think Raven was giving Yang the life that she herself was too afraid to try, or else protecting Yang from the dangers of a bandit life while also leaving her so that Raven could return to protecting the family that raised her.

Honestly I love that Raven is just an openly unapologetic disaster of a person.
Oh no, she's apologetic, alright. At least in the sense that she feels she has to explain, defend, and excuse her actions with self-justifications.

Raven doesn't want to be where she is, but she doesn't have the courage or hope to try and make a change. She would rather run from her fears of settling down, or working together to confront Salem, or meeting Yang face-to-face.

Does it seem odd that a nomadic band of thieves would be able to send Qrow and Raven to school with the kind of complicated weapons they have? Especially with all of the Dust blades that Raven carries.

Also, despite jokes about wanting some independence from her twin brother, looks like Raven wouldn't have minded being on a team with Qrow after all. Given her "us versus them" bandit mindset, she probably wanted to be his partner and not have a team at all.

A note on manners! Port and Oobleck do the same kind of bow that Ruby, Ren, and Nora did. Or at least neither of them used the specific hand-gesture that Jaune and the Mistralian village chief did.

Also, I like Port's hatred of rats. Or rather, I like how he's allowed to voice his reasons for that fear, and how that fear is perfectly natural from his perspective.

Did Vale manage to retake Beacon and no one told us? First O and P say that Glynda is "working around the clock to restore Beacon to its former glory". Not "to take Beacon back." Later, Oobleck says that there is still much work to be done "at the school".

It sounds like the hunters managed to drive out all of the Grimm and begin work on restoring the place?

But that can't be right, because I doubt the story would let them so easily get rid of the dragon on the tower. Though if repairs are beginning on Beacon Tower, then Salem is definitely in a hurry to take out Haven Tower.

Also, "Higanbana in the rain."

The village is named after the Red Spider Lily flower (also called "hurricane flower") that only blossoms in extremely wet conditions, such as after a heavy rain.

Since these scarlet flowers usually bloom near cemeteries around the autumnal equinox, they are described in Chinese and Japanese translations of the Lotus Sutra as ominous flowers that grow in Diyu (also known as Hell), or Huángquán (Simplified Chinese: 黄泉; Traditional Chinese: 黃泉), and guide the dead into the next reincarnation.

Some legends have it that when you see someone that you may never meet again, these flowers, also called red spider lilies or corpse flowers, would bloom along the path. Perhaps because of these sorrowful legends, Japanese people often used these flowers in funerals. The popular Japanese name Higanbana (彼岸花 Higan bana?) for Lycoris radiata literally means higan (the other or that shore of Sanzu River) flower, decorate and enjoyable, flower of afterlife in gokuraku jyōdo (極楽浄土 gokuraku jyōdo?).

I don't think these superstitions are going to apply here, though.

Regarding Taiyang's brutal joke, it's probably the first time he's said something like to her since she lost her arm. Before then, he was still walking around on egg-shells with her. Treating her like fragile glass.

Now he's telling her, "You're strong enough to take this joke."

And she laughs because she looked into herself, and decided he was right. Also, because him making these jokes, and her laughing at them, was a return of some of the "old normal" that she missed.

Remember, Taiyang isn't just Yang's father. He's also her trainer, her teacher, and her boxing coach. He's had to punch her in the face before, repeatedly, to get her ready to defend herself against people actually trying to hurt her. He's stood in her corner and handed her a bottle of water to drink while he wipes the blood out of her eyes, so that she's ready for the next round.

I have a new theory about those two goons who appear over Yang in the intro.

Perhaps some of Raven's tribe members?

If the tribe is as old as the occupation of Vacuo, then those weird figures in front of the Schnee machines might have been Raven's tribe acting as hired mercenaries to protect foreign property without any sympathy for the locals.

Last edited:
Further, Salem is referred to as a queen. This is likely literal; she was probably the queen of the enemy against which the four kingdoms banded together to fight. The kingdom which held the world's only unnamed continent, on which were built the uniquely red-colored settlements in Qrow's World of Remnant: Vale. Settlements which all vanished, whereas across the world only a few of each color vanished.
I'm pretty sure the red cities were Mantle. Remember that it didn't really fall, it was just abandoned bit by bit for the dust-rich Atlas.

And do you have a cite for the kingdoms fighting Salem at the end of the Great War? I thought it was just they got tired of it all, more or less.

Last edited:
No, Mantle was on the same continent as Atlas, as Atlas grew out of/up around Mantle's hunter academy.
Yeah, re-watched the Atlas WoR. Looks like I misunderstood, I thought it was saying Mantel settlers came to the continent and started a colony there that eventually grew greater than the Kingdom proper.

I swear, Sunder even makes quality content when he's just reviewing an episode. :lol

Seriously dude, I hope you keep this up because you're basically doubling my enjoyment of the series at this point with all these perspectives to think about.

@flashburn, if you read my last post before I edited it, then I want to apologize for my tone and presumption.

I should never assume that someone is being arrogant when they just may not actually understand.

I swear, Sunder even makes quality content when he's just reviewing an episode. :lol

Seriously dude, I hope you keep this up because you're basically doubling my enjoyment of the series at this point with all these perspectives to think about.
Do you follow my blog?

This is likely literal; she was probably the queen of the enemy against which the four kingdoms banded together to fight. The kingdom which held the world's only unnamed continent, on which were built the uniquely red-colored settlements in Qrow's World of Remnant: Vale
Oh god dude, stop with that headcanon.

Stop.

Colorless empire or whatever it is never in any way or shape mentioned or implied in canon, period. Great war is royal rumble between everyone about a lot of things, even if people think it's mostly about individuality.

So I was watching the last World of Remnant video and I just realized what it reminded me of. Don't Starve. The art style in the bits with Grimm combined with the music massively remind me of the game Don't Starve.

Oh god dude, stop with that headcanon.

Stop.

Colorless empire or whatever it is never in any way or shape mentioned or implied in canon, period. Great war is royal rumble between everyone about a lot of things, even if people think it's mostly about individuality.
Going by the WoRs, we have a very strong implication that what kicked it off was Mantle attacking Vacuo for their natural resources, and the other nations joining in. (Or, if that wasn't the start of it, it was at least the start of it for Vacuo.)

I got the impression that was way before the great war. Like over century before. Enough time to have a full century of colonial occupation to screw them up. For the pre-occupation government to be outside living memory.

Think of the time difference between when europe colonized various places and the world wars and that's roughly the time between Vacuo getting taken over and the great war.

I got the impression that was way before the great war. Like over century before. Enough time to have a full century of colonial occupation to screw them up. For the pre-occupation government to be outside living memory.

Think of the time difference between when europe colonized various places and the world wars and that's roughly the time between Vacuo getting taken over and the great war.
That's pretty much what it is.

is any one gonna talk about the fact that Professer Ozpin is piggybacking in someones head? No?

And no one talk about it in SV so my point still stand.
So "SB" was a typo?

Great war is royal rumble between everyone about a lot of things, even if people think it's mostly about individuality.
And yet, in a war between four nations where no one supposedly won or lost, the nation or nations who were suppressing individual expression and destroying all forms of art just stopped? It was a cease-fire, so no one could force anyone to do anything, and if the nation had believed strongly enough about to wage war over the matter, does it make sense they would just stop now that the war was over?

Salem mocks the idea of a free world protected by "guardians"; by inference to Ozpin's contrast between "guardians" and "armies", Salem believed in armies. She's also annoyed by the monuments the four kingdoms erected in victory, and in the stories they "fondly tell" which paint themselves as the "heroes" to her "villain". She wants to destroy the whole insulting system that Ozpin built after the Great War.

Episode 3 suggests that, like Cinder, Salem was once a normal human before she became infested with a Grimm parasite that she bent to her will. She's living in a blasted hellscape that could very well be the ruins of her old kingdom after the other four nations ganged up on it.

There is an entire continent that has gone conspicuously unnamed, despite having settlements with an entirely different map-color than the others.

You can complain about my hypotheses, but there's more evidence supporting my position than Flashburn's idea that Salem was Beacon's headmaster TWENTY YEARS AGO.

Especially since Taiyang makes it clear that Ozpin was working at the school at the time, and in charge of the initiation test. "Time to work on your landing strategies."

You can complain about my hypotheses, but there's more evidence supporting my position than Flashburn's idea that Salem was Beacon's headmaster TWENTY YEARS AGO.
I never said I support Flashburn's assertion about Salem as headmaster.
No, most of the conversation regarding this episode 95% happening in SB and doesn't show any sign of stopping, and @flashburn, I believe, is one of the few members who don't come to SB on regular basis (Correct me if I wrong) and thus missing all the discussion.

Now, I think it's useless to complain about divided community, but I just want people here knew were are the missing discussion went.

OK dude maybe I was wrong about that totally random thought. I mean its like you took it like an insult chill. You're way more attached to it then I am. After I wrote that I made my elf a homemade cheeseburger and feel asleep.

Back