RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
So, Rooster Teeth apparently showed off a preview clip for the season during the Lazer Team fundraising stream. And the fights for Volume 2 are looking excellent:

Oh wow, just from those two clips the animation's looking loads better. The writing and voice acting seem like they've seen some improvements too. I am now cautiously optimistic!

Oh wow, just from those two clips the animation's looking loads better. The writing and voice acting seem like they've seen some improvements too. I am now cautiously optimistic!

It's almost heart-breaking that I can't read exactly how much improvement there is because of the screen tearing from the stream. Hopefully we get more high quality videos of the WIP as time goes on but from what I've seen, Monty is really fixing the "floaty" feel of the fights that some people have complained about.

I'm not completely sold yet but

Last edited:
Am I really the only one who thought the animation was perfectly fine in the first place? I saw a significant difference between normal scenes and the big fight scenes, sure, but I didn't feel offput by anything.

Am I really the only one who thought the animation was perfectly fine in the first place? I saw a significant difference between normal scenes and the big fight scenes, sure, but I didn't feel offput by anything.
Yes, you are now hold still while I fetch the tar, feathers and rapier wasps.

I never had a problem with the animation, but it could certainly have been improved upon. There were many inconsistencies in the animation, small things that you wouldn't notice unless you happened to be paying particular attention or looking for them.

There's also just general improvement to the production values that we're seeing now. RWBY is made in a commercially available 3D modelling program, one that I believe Monty Oum was not accustomed to. Coupled with the fact that he's likely learned more of what he can do with it, as well as giving himself a much longer timespan to work on the show in pre-production means that we're seeing notable improvements.

Personally it's not that the first season's animation was terrible for an indie project that was a first attempt, but we're seeing drastic enough improvement that it's commendable for Oum's team.

Thursday update:
Burnie Burn's AMA said:
Production value has stepped up quite a bit. Can't wait for you guys to see it. Animation projects really gather momentum as you gather a library of assets. RWBY is no exception.

Last edited:
THE INTERNET GOT A TRAILER OUT OF RTX!!! People who went saw episode 1 of volume 2, so if you went, please, try not to spoil.

THE INTERNET GOT A TRAILER OUT OF RTX!!! People who went saw episode 1 of volume 2, so if you went, please, try not to spoil.
-epic trailer-
1:16 - Table fort.
1:20 - Droid troopers
1:34 - Clubbing outfit for Yang?:ogles:
1:36 - I think the gang remembers her.
1:58 - Beowolves loose in the city.:eek:
2:04 - Cardin's mace apparently has some fire/explosion aspect.
2:08 - Sun's teammate has one nice looking BFG.
2:15 - (Looks at various weapon mounts) That mech is loaded for Huntress.

Also it seems like Blake is only wearing her bow half the time. Maybe she's actually gotten comfortable enough to stop hiding her heritage.

Was it just me, or did the freeway scene look almost identical to the Freelancers freeway scene?

I'm amused that it seems to cover more than her usual clothing.
The torso yes but I'm not sure about the legs above those thigh highs. Also she seems to be wearing jewelery (necklace with a purple stone).

The truly amazing thing is the blue haired guy riding shotgun with Yang (apparently his name is Neptune) was actually using his goggles like they are supposed to unlike how you normally see them.

Last edited:
Hmm...

The animation looks a lot better, but there are still festering issues that bother me. Like RT's overreliance on mo-cap (though it does work for Cinder and Torchwick), and how none of the characters have momentum or gravity when they move AKA they still suffer from "floaty" syndrome (especially noticeable in the rooftop hopping scene). I do applaud the more dynamic use of the camera, especially with the Mercury/Pyrrha fight scene's perspective, as well as more character models (we can actually see background characters now, at least for the ball clip).

I think the backgrounds could benefit from a lot more lighting and rendering. Sure, the same thing happens in anime, but I would appreciate shadows underneath the characters at least.

Also, Dust is still not being mentioned. I mean, come on, mecha and automobiles are present and we still get no explanation for why Hunters and Huntresses are needed to ward off the Grimm? Just have Dust be a universal resource that powers technology, done. Also, Weiss's company yet to make an appearance, when it is supposedly should be a powerful one for owning and controlling the production of Dust.

I know RWBY is primarily action-focused, but that gives it no excuse to avoid worldbuilding when it has already set up some elements. And of course, the thirty-something crew should be able to pull off better animation with the production values they have, if they had proper animation knowledge. A few motion blurs here, a few smears there, carefully modifying paths and posing models would instantly give the animation much more punch.

It's kind of embarrassing when something made by four people instantly looks better than RWBY's action scenes because the creators actually focused on conveying bounce and motion.

I do like Yang's rocket punch though.

Last edited:
So, since it's finally midnight on July 24th for me, one last bit of hype!

(The joke being the song's title :p)

Back