RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
My thinking is that developing Aura and Semblances is probably as complex as any other biologically based trait. I mean we're not dealing with something simple like rocket science here.

I mean, let's compare it to the type of arthritis I have. Mine first flared up after decades of twinges, in response to the stress caused by a long bike trip. My cousin on the other hand first got a major attack at age 20 in response to cold weather. And a few people get theirs at much younger age, with no sparking incident. Because biology interfaces with environment and yes, psychology in very idiosyncratic and unp

So I'm thinking there's a complex 3-D curve one could plot for age and stress for the development of Semblances, with at the far end, developing to mild stress in the womb, then up near the other end, needing to see one's friend dying after months of effort.

And I'll note there's probably a huge area of the curve where the result is "never"; no amount of stress short of death will unlock a Semblance.

And because this is biology/psychology, the factors involved are complex, and even Oz doesn't completely understand the details involved in unlocking it. Beyond that, the degree to which a Semblance will trigger, and the effect of training will vary greatly.

I mean we don't even know what percentage if society have managed to unlock their aura, but I would be surprised if it's more than 10%. The vast majority of Atlas personnel for exemple, don't seem to have unlocked aura. And the ones that unlock Semblances are a smaller proportion of that. And of THAT, the proportion with generally useful Semblances is ???

Anyway, thank you for coming to my TED talk...

Aura being rare doesn't really make sense to begin with because what we are literally shown is that you can just unlock someone's aura by reciting a poem.

Anyway, I watched a YouTube video that had a really interesting theory about this being kind of Alice in Wonderland-esque with the main evidence being that the redesigns emphasize character traits that Weiss might most strongly identify them with. I.e. Ruby looks more like a regular kid and not a huntress, Blake has gone full cat girl, Pyrrha looks like what Weiss thinks celebrities should look like, Juane is just Juane with a scarf, etc.

I am ever more convinced that there will be some kind of interaction between the prime Rwby timeline and an alternative timeline, by whatever mechanism up to and including Weiss just dreaming the whole thing, and it will basically be a filler arc where everything goes back to canon at the end, at best fleshing out Weiss's character development in Vol1.

I really really hate the idea of this just being a dream since that so reduces the possibility for interesting interactions and makes recapping Volume 1 and 2 pointless.

That doesn't seem quite right, since Weiss saw Pyrrha as a powerful warrior, not a high society celebrity.
Eh…I can kinda see the celebrity part; and all Weiss knew before Beacon was high society, so it makes sense that high society was her default.

Like Weiss called Pyrrha a "strong, well-known individual" and then her internal monologue went "We'll be popular! We'll be celebrities!", and Weiss basically knew Pyrrha as a valedictorian and record-setting tournament champion, and expected everyone to know Pyrrha because of that. Jaune puts Pyrrha in the "star athlete" category because she was on Pumpkin Pete's cereal box.

And then in V4, we see how Weiss dresses to look presentable in high society despite being a Huntress-in-Training who fought at the Fall of Beacon, and the similarities between their dresses there is rather striking.

all just speculation, of course. I'm just happy we're getting content 🙂

The art is questionable (So many beach balls on their Twitter), but that rant... Oof. Just oof. Stopping them from spewing that shit onto anyone young and/or impressionable is important.

Thankfully the Reddit wants nothing to do with him, the Tumblr community clearly doesn't want him, and he's probably too crazy even for Twitter. And none of us are likely to commision art from him (while I love boobs, his drawings don't do them justice) so I'd say we've all been warned about the nazi, and can move on.

Oh I definitely agree/know, I was mostly just noting that I think that kind of setting and the implied questions it raises is what was on people's minds who ask "Why isn't Aura used in every field of industry" when its not really a comparable situation.
One of the reasons why I like Genshin Impact's Vision and Elemental Energy system. That shit is toxic and radioactive if you ingest it.

Indeed. The show isn't perfect and definitely could do things better but it's got virtues.

random thought
but I think I have another point against the Black Sun ship
That being, the fact that Sun and Neptune were forgotten during the Paladin Fight in V2.
If Blake was meant to end up with Sun or they were actually building that pair for future romance than I doubt they would of forgotten the existence of one half of the ship
In fact that also discredits the Iceberg ship (Weiss x Neptune) in a way.

eh, either way this is just me rambling my random thoughts.

Back