RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
except the main voice for said proletariat of Mantle was Robyn, who was trying to achieve victory by working within the system- first elections, then negotiation. She failed, just like all to many reformers IRL have all to often had their efforts neutered
Robyn, I would argue, was playing both sides of the game at the same time. She was running for election while also stopping armed convoys while pointedly asking where they're taking valuable supplies. And when the election failed, she escalated to full Robin Hood escapades of stealing and distributing supplies.

And at least her attempts to reform the system from the inside stalled because the Queen of all evil sabotaged the system with her pet super hacker, and when people realized this, things were moving towards putting her in the seat of power she had been robbed of. You know. Before things went to hell. The other two Councilors do seem to be good faith actors. It's just…you know. Ironwood.

Last edited:
Problem with that is even if they were honestly trying to help the situation people who are isolated from someone else's issues are unlikely to fully grasp what the other groups are saying, and it's hard to find someone up in Atlas who isn't isolated.
This is true. I'm not arguing that the system isn't flawed. I'm just saying (pre-Ironwood jumping down his never ending spiral) it hadn't quite reached "burn it all to the ground and start over" territory.

... What organization?
The one that canvassed for her, set up her press conferences, rented space for her election night celebration, and ultimately delivered her a landslide victory across 41 electoral districts.

It's one of those background elements we can assume exists because if it didn't the things we are explicitly shown couldn't have happened.

The one that canvassed for her, set up her press conferences, rented space for her election night celebration, and ultimately delivered her a landslide victory across 41 electoral districts.

It's one of those background elements we can assume exists because if it didn't the things we are explicitly shown couldn't have happened.
I thing that this "organization" is simply the political party (for lack of a better term) that Robyn formed, which uses her personal emblem as its logo.

This is true. I'm not arguing that the system isn't flawed. I'm just saying (pre-Ironwood jumping down his never ending spiral) it hadn't quite reached "burn it all to the ground and start over" territory.
Keep in mind that by the time we got to take a good look at Atlas, the upper crust gave little to no shit about Vale and Beacon, thought that the reason for it's demise was the lack of proper defenses (ignoring that it was Atlas's defenses that were the ones that backfired) and that the only sane people were the self-appointed dictator and someone suffering from so much trauma that she subconsciously summoned a Grimm that almost killed someone. The student body isn't much nicer if Ilia's story about how some kids laughed at the demise of several Faunus is anything to say.

Even without Ironwood calling the shots, it's clear that Atlas rotted to the core.

Your "the organization Robyn &co. turned toward electoral ends existed in Rhodes's time." statement implied you thought there was some big pre-existing organization as opposed to a naturally developed grass roots political campaign.
Even though what I actually said was that there was no indication that such an organization existed in Rhodes's time? Unlike in Robyn's time, where we can infer the existence of an organization from the events surrounding her election campaign?

If you're going to go out of your way to misread me, I have to wonder what is even the point.

. . . yes? A political party is certainly an organization.
The way you phrased your post:
"Not that he could have even if anyone had asked. There is no indication that the organization Robyn &co. turned toward electoral ends existed in Rhodes's time."

Implied that there's a third party organization which already existed and which Robyn and Co joined to have a shot a the Council seat. I think that's why people were wondering what organization you were talking about.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that by the time we got to take a good look at Atlas, the upper crust gave little to no shit about Vale and Beacon, thought that the reason for it's demise was the lack of proper defenses (ignoring that it was Atlas's defenses that were the ones that backfired) and that the only sane people were the self-appointed dictator and someone suffering from so much trauma that she subconsciously summoned a Grimm that almost killed someone. The student body isn't much nicer if Ilia's story about how some kids laughed at the demise of several Faunus is anything to say.

Even without Ironwood calling the shots, it's clear that Atlas rotted to the core.
The people that Jacques willingly associates with anyway. The Councilors, at least, responded to Ironwood halting the evacuation with "James, what the FUCK are you doing!?" Flaws and entitled rich assholes don't mean a system is beyond saving.

Even though what I actually said was that there was no indication that such an organization existed in Rhodes's time? Unlike in Robyn's time, where we can infer the existence of an organization from the events surrounding her election campaign?

If you're going to go out of your way to misread me, I have to wonder what is even the point.
... I'm just gonna say "What @ElMariachi said" and move on.

Anyway: RWBY ACTUALLY HAS GOOD WRITING: A THEMATIC ANALYSIS

Just found out that in Confucius philosophy, your body is considered a gift from your parents and you shouldn't damage it, including the hair. Also that Chi is a life force that one can cultivate and use it as it flows like blood or breath of your body. Learned this after watching a review of recent Mulan from a Chinese native. While I doubt Yang's dislike of people touching her hair is a part of that nor much thought beyond "she likes her hair" in her character design, it is an interesting coincidence.

Just found out that in Confucius philosophy, your body is considered a gift from your parents and you shouldn't damage it, including the hair. Also that Chi is a life force that one can cultivate and use it as it flows like blood or breath of your body. Learned this after watching a review of recent Mulan from a Chinese native. While I doubt Yang's dislike of people touching her hair is a part of that nor much thought beyond "she likes her hair" in her character design, it is an interesting coincidence.
One of those happy coincidences

Back