RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
So... to move away from this topic...

How exactly do you think Volume 9 is gonna be split? Will it focus exclusively on the island residents or will it do a sort of rough split of character focus like they did with the last Volume?
Could go both ways: either we have the episodes split between the events on the island and what happens in the "real world", or it stays focused on the island, in which case there's a good chance that the end season will end in a cliffhanger when the heroes leave the island, like a timeskip where Salem is on the verge of winning for example.

The only kind of rewrite I would be interested in is a "Rewrite the earlier volumes as if they were made with current CRWBY's resources, so the episodes are of similar to modern length."

And to ensure no funny business, make it so that at some point, the rewrite must lead into the existing show. I'd do it after volume 5, so the write HAS to lead into the existing Volume 6 and beyond

The only kind of rewrite I would be interested in is a "Rewrite the earlier volumes as if they were made with current CRWBY's resources, so the episodes are of similar to modern length."

And to ensure no funny business, make it so that at some point, the rewrite must lead into the existing show. I'd do it after volume 5, so the write HAS to lead into the existing Volume 6 and beyond
That would at least be an interesting thought experiment, like you could weave in refences to Sienna earlier and maybe even show a flash to her like we got with Pietro wandering "What is that fool Taurus doing!?" when the attack on Beacon happens. Actually show Pietro earlier so as to better contrast Penny's actual father against the "Father figure" Ironwood fans assumed Ironwood was.

Plus Blake & Yang could have had some stuff going on between them during Jaune's bullying arc (Which I'd probably tinker with if I could) involving Velvet that can also come back during Black & White/Stray with us seeing more of Weiss's thought process as now even if we keep the mandated inclusion of Penny & Sun we wouldn't have to relegate Weiss to the background to accommodate them.

I recall a good fic that sort of did this for V1 and V2, basically expanding on the overall characterization and relationships but not majorly impacting the story, instead fleshing stuff 'around' the story out because they had time CRWBY didn't.

A V1 rewrite could have potential in particular, given how they were originally going to have mini-arcs focusing on specific characters, then altered the plans somewhat after negative reception to the V1 versions of that.

Which wasn't helped by having Jaune be the first one.

Which wasn't helped by having Jaune be the first one.
Honestly early Jaune is one of my main critiques of RWBY and while I see what they were going for with his character now, IE a seeming deconstruction of the typical "Average guy, no nothing" hero who shows up and is super great at everything. I do think they could have handled him better in certain volumes and also trimmed some of the content and still carried the same general idea forward.

Plus Blake & Yang could have had some stuff going on between them during Jaune's bullying arc (Which I'd probably tinker with if I could) involving Velvet that can also come back during Black & White/Stray with us seeing more of Weiss's thought process as now even if we keep the mandated inclusion of Penny & Sun we wouldn't have to relegate Weiss to the background to accommodate them.

Like, just show them in the background a few times hanging out, Yang making Blake laugh.
Heck you can easily do this with all characters.
Give us an actual scene of our heroes training. And while Jaune gets bapped around you can have say....Yang and Nora sparing or working out.
Or the cast is in the library for more than 1 or 2 scenes and we see Weiss helping Ruby with homework.

Like, in My Hero was see plenty of background/foreground moments with our young cast. Like, some of the kids trying to stick a christmas hat on Bakugou while other characters are moving the plot with dialogue.

Its less didn't help and more that was the big reason people were annoyed when they hadn't even finished fleshing out half the title team yet.
Like give Yang something to do too. We see parts of her deeper character in v1 but it isn't until halfway through v2 that we start to really understand who she is outside the joking brawn of the team who loves her little sister. Like have Yang make mention to Like Glynda about her dad's team and get interested if Glynda talks about remembering the team drama that went on with them. (Not sure how old Glynda is but I like to believe she was at Beacon around the same time as STRQ as a student)

Sun is a guy who hails from a kingdom where bigotry isn't a major or systemic issue and is also someone who explicitly knows nothing about Faunus outside of himself and is thus literally the worst Faunus's opinion to take on this topic. Like his entire narrative role is basically to be an exposition sponge for Blake to explain stuff too.

Also I and others already addressed your points on this front and your summary doesn't actually serve as a counter argument in my eyes; like its certainly using a lot of words, but its not actually addressing anything anyone said.
It's stating that Weiss's issues weren't just with the fang. She also hated Faunus as well and she's clearly supposed to be overcoming that too. It's why I'm not quite as adverse to her having Faunus misery shoved in her face. She is fairly prejudiced and her privilege means its in her interests not to notice.

Yeah........I don't mind Unicorn's non rwby stuff (winx club) and a few of his ideas are interesting (the gods really do come off as assholes, and I do think having Salem play a larger role in the Vol 8 finale isn't necessarily BAD) but he really is rather misguided in a lot of ways. I think he's trying to be more socially conscious and WAY overcompensating.

Last edited:
It's stating that Weiss's issues weren't just with the fang. She also hated Faunus as well and she's clearly supposed to be overcoming that too. It's why I'm not quite as adverse to her having Faunus misery shoved in her face. She is fairly prejudiced and her privilege means its in her interests not to notice.
And as noted and repeatedly outlined the framing of the events does not reflect that and its instead seems to be a case of Weiss scapegoating a source of her fathers ire, thus 'justifying' his treatment of her. Yu can say it was maybe a bit rushed at the end there, likely cos Weiss & Yang were cut out of the finale to make room for Penny & Sun, but that as far as I'm concern is the only not false read on the narrative.
Yeah........I don't mind Unicorn's non rwby stuff (winx club) and a few of his ideas are interesting (the gods really do come off as assholes, and I do think having Salem play a larger role in the Vol 8 finale isn't necessarily BAD) but he really is rather misguided in a lot of ways. I think he's trying to be more socially conscious and WAY overcompensating.
... Redeeming unrepentant abusers is meant to be socially conscious now?

Frankly the whole thing just comes off as nonsensical, overwrought nonsense by someone who has no fucking idea what they are doing or even a basic grasp of cohesive world building, let alone how to use someone else's.

Personally, I always saw it as a cover for her trauma. She used the White Fangs crimes, both real and imagined, that her father would go on about, to explain and justify his actions towards her family. Having practically no personal experience with Faunus, it's terrifyingly easy to connect the two emotionally. As she grows, she comes to understand she was placing the blame on the wrong people, but that attitude she held early on is all too believable.

There's a series by https://www.fanfiction.net/u/12948893/fall-R3aper I don't agree with all the choices they made by I do think some of the retooling they gave to early volumes worked well. Other choices (expanding the final fight in Vol 8, having Ruby and Cinder interact more in Vols 1-3 to make Cinder's betrayal hit that much harder) were fine and the writer makes clear that they DO genuinely like the show as is.

Hilariously enough they seem to have Jacques get a heel realization.....only to subvert it once Ironwood's out of his cell. At which point Ironwood smokes his ass.

I mean, I'm not surprised. I remember their claim about Sappron and Terra appearing on screen without everyone reacting to them with horror and loathing meant that anti-LGBT views didn't exist on Remnant, and thus it made no sense for Mays parents to have any problems with her whatsoever, oh and she only transitioned to spite them. So, yeah. Utter fuckstain.

Back