Voting is open for the next 13 hours, 34 minutes
[x] Action Plan: Another Golem's Den?

A non-water Wakahisa probably doesn't have an actice VD to begin with.

That's kind of the whole Minami story, they were considered broken by the main Hyuuga until Sōdai figured out how the mutated bloodline worked.

And some people just don't become ninja to begin with. It's just rare with clan people because of their accumulated generational knowledge.

Presumably non-Water element Barrel Boys suffer extreme natural selection. Or they are only allocated missions that take place entirely on the water. Mist is mostly islands, they must have a lot of those...

Last edited:
Re. VD, here's a relevant quote:
As a tangent to this does Noburi (or Hazou, Mari, etc) know of any Wakahisa born without Water Element? Since their bloodline has water used as a medium it would be interesting if they are guaranteed to be Water Element and interesting if they are not.
They do not. However, it's also true that a Wakahisa born without the Vampiric Dew would be the shame of the clan and you'd be unlikely to hear about them unless you knew them personally. (This is less true for children of adoptees, who may or may not receive the blessing of the Wakahisa ancestors while in the womb.)

And a quote I found at the same time with more general applicability.
The current state of Vampiric Dew is as follows:

- Vampiric Dew's chakra drain is a Bloodline Limit ability that is mechanically treated as a skill, analogous to Alertness or Cooking. It is not a ninjutsu and does not have an element.
- All Vampiric Dew functions, including chakra drain, are unaffected by effects that exclusively affect ninjutsu, including ninjutsu stunts. (In ambiguous cases, such as against general anti-ninjutsu defences, the results of the interaction are adjudicated by the QMs.)
- Since chakra drain is not a ninjutsu, it cannot fulfil prerequisites as a ninjutsu. In theory, it could fulfil prerequisites as a skill, but applicable stunts are likely to be exclusive to the Wakahisa.
- As a special function of the Bloodline Limit, chakra drain benefits from Water Element half-costing. The character sheet has already been updated to reflect this.

Pinging also @eaglejarl @Paperclipped : was the statue there? You said we didn't run into anything, so I assume not, but if it's not there that suggests the other chakravores took it with them, which would be ... interesting data.
Yes, the statue was still there.

@eaglejarl @Velorien @Paperclipped
Has Mari ever seen a Wakahisa with a jōnin aura?
Wakahisa jōnin exist and are normal as compared to other jōnin with regard to aura abilities.

Re. VD, here's a relevant quote:
Thanks for finding this. I'm going to consider the issue closed.

Huh, was this about Chakra Disruption Blast?
Probably? IDR

Did Noburi pick up anything in his time with Tsuande that suggests he might be able to eventually use his capstone medical stats (Medical Ninjutsu, Medical Knowledge) in combat?
In a recent chapter Tsunade told Noburi that she uses chakra scalpels to blenderize her opponents, although I don't have the link.

Yeah, @Paperclipped was even nice enough to float me a few extra audit XP for allocating the posts (iirc, I sent it all to Noburi).
Sweet, thanks.

The drain looked to be short range (1 Zone), so if anyone's reserves precipitously drop, Substitute away
What if the chakravores' effect disrupts ninjutsu casting? I doubt that this will be the case, since Noburi was able to cast Water Whip after the otters started draining the team, but I thought I'd mention the possibility since it came to me.

What if the chakravores' effect disrupts ninjutsu casting? I doubt that this will be the case, since Noburi was able to cast Water Whip after the otters started draining the team, but I thought I'd mention the possibility since it came to me.
Then they can't Substitute away? You can't move off turn otherwise. So they'll have to wait until their own turn to run. Ah well

Adhoc vote count started by Velorien on Aug 15, 2024 at 7:07 AM, finished with 142 posts and 14 votes.

Voting is closed again.

Adhoc vote count started by Velorien on Aug 15, 2024 at 7:07 AM, finished with 142 posts and 14 votes.

Voting is closed again.
Um. Is it just me, or is the original plan not linked from this tally? (It's here, but doesn't seem to have been counted.)

The design team did not manage to design a version with detachable/telescoping wings that did not frequently experience unintended lithobraking behavior, so skysliders cannot be stored. Also, the main spinal components are too long to go in a storage scroll.
After we deal with the current crisis, could be worth trying to design a custom storage scroll optimized to be able to hold the inseparable structural components of a skyslider, maybe by trading off flexibility to hold arbitrary other things and/or optimizing the skyslider frame to tolerate higher than normal levels of storage stress. Perhaps further expand the design possibilities with ablative padding? That is, separate sheathes over wingtips, fins, or key joints which need to be added before the slider frame is stored (presumably from a stack of spares in a conventional seal), and then are mostly shredded, unsuitable for reuse, upon retrieval.

IIRC, he made it to both Chunin and Jounin fairly late, but hit Essie within a year of making Jounin.

Y'know, I thought I remembered that too, but I've been searching the thread for a source on that and can't find it.

Found it, belatedly:

"But really, don't fixate on the ages too much. Yes, feel free to brag and light the fires of ambition in the hearts of your peers, but getting a rank early doesn't mean anything in itself. The Fourth Hokage only became a jōnin at 21, and in three short years, he was Hokage! What you do with the rank matters far more than how early or how late you attain it."

(I don't think jōnin at 21 is actually all that late - the demographics infopost seems to say that a typical jōnin gets promoted at ~23. But I guess it's a late promotion by the standards of those who go on to become famously powerful, and he went from fresh jōnin to Kage in less time then ordinary ninja take to get from chūnin to jōnin.)

Adhoc vote count started by MMKII on Aug 15, 2024 at 11:08 AM, finished with 149 posts and 14 votes.

Instant runoff was clicked instead of simple majority (grouping votes by Block) on the vote tally. @Velorien for your convenience this one looks to be right

Pinging also @Velorien @eaglejarl How large is the AoE on this? Do the notes say? It seems of very limited use if it's a small AoE. Since the invisible person just avoids the glowing area.
Now that Hazou has seen that past-red exists and is a stable input for Light Relay, is he willing to reclassify that past-red HOWS as a past-red HOWS and not a sealing failure?
That seems reasonable. He will at least be willing to try it.

@Paperclipped @Velorien @eaglejarl

About how much larger is the capacitor rune than MS2&3? Like in rough OOM based on sealing vs PS, 4 OOM? That's how much larger explosive runes are than explosives.

HDK. The rune is unrelated to the seal (not based on the same design/idea) and Hazō doesn't have a way to quantify chakra.

How long did the Capacitor Rune take to charge when we completed it?

It asymptotes much like a real capacitor, though its impact as visible on a MS8 is unnoticeable at the 3 hour mark. Hazō thinks it is >90% full at around 5 minutes.

When you have the time, could you please summarize Konoha's clan secret laws in as much detail as is practical?

I believe this was already answered but I'm adding it in case because it was still in QM QUINOA.

Thank you so much for this wonderful chapter, @eaglejarl!
You are welcome. :>

How long is the duration on Force Blades? Can they be deactivated and reactivated? How does the construct emerge from the seal?
They last for about 30 seconds once activated and then burn out. They can be de/reactivated during that time but it does not affect the lifespan of the seal. The construct emerges over the course of ~0.5 seconds (not relevant on combat scale), stopping if there is anything in the way. (Yes, this means you can make them shorter than 4" by holding something in the path where the blade will emerge.)

Question on the mechanics of researching seals/runes.

So here's the question: Will Hazo ever activate any of these prototype Spleen Inverters as part of the research process?
Did we answer this one already?

Keep in mind that even a partially functional Spleen Inverter could instantly kill us. This goes doubly if we're researching a esoteric effect that Hazo doesn't understand
As stated above, neither prototype seals nor minor fluff 'failures' will ever be harmful.

In general, metagaming isn't going to work. The only way to metagame your way to an extreme effect like the EM nuke is to firmly convince us that the science will work and then come up with convincing reasons why Hazō would be researching it and why he would be taking the extraordinary safety precautions that will no doubt be necessary. (e.g. staying 2 miles away and having a Shadow Clone cast the jutsu.) The EM nuke was an unusual case because the science of it is extremely straightforward – "air get cold, become liquid" – and the only question was what the effects would be. We aren't physicists so it's very unlikely that you can convince us to be confident about anything involving relativity, antimatter, etc. "Very unlikely" in this context means "it's not worth your time to try."

Do seals/runes have to be activated after infusion to have a effect, or could we unintentionally research a 'always on' effect that turns out to be ludicrously dangerous, and during research a prototype activates by dint of infusing it?
Even always-on seals must be activated after infusion to start working. As previously mentioned, prototypes are generally activated during research, but you don't need to worry about it.

Going into more detail: failing a prototype infusion will cause a major seal failure. These will usually but not necessarily be extremely harmful. Additionally, there may be multiple 'sealing failures' on prep days and/or after a successful prototype infusion. These are purely fluff used for humor and narrative color; they will never be harmful under a reasonable definition of harm. They will not inflict game-mechanical penalties, they will not cause major setbacks to ongoing projects, and they will not cause long-term interpersonal drama. They might be annoying, they might be inconvenient, they might cause some temporary family drama, and they might have long-term narrative effects such as "yeah, that area glows now; we had to move camp because it was keeping us awake." Please assume good faith on the part of the QMs.

@Paperclipped @Velorien

Can we take this as confirmation that Hozuki's Mantle also applies armor rating against energy attacks instead of just physical damage?
Hōzuki's Mantle needs a slight rewrite as it has some components that don't really make sense, but yes, its armor applies to energy attacks.

My goodness, EJ. You are on quite the roll these past few days. You're almost tempting me to write up some more TH questions…

Pinging also @Velorien @eaglejarl How large is the AoE on this? Do the notes say? It seems of very limited use if it's a small AoE. Since the invisible person just avoids the glowing area.
The AoE covers one Zone. Indoors, this is enough to prevent an invisible person or construct from gaining access to a structure. Outdoors, it is enough to scan a suspicious area or secure a campsite from infiltration. It isn't designed to be a combat countermeasure--an invisible ninja worth using jōnin-tier seals against would just use ranged attacks from outside whatever AoE, leaving you unable to retaliate while you had no way of pinpointing their location, rather than walking up to you and providing sound cues, potentially being revealed by blood splatter, etc.

After we deal with the current crisis, could be worth trying to design a custom storage scroll optimized to be able to hold the inseparable structural components of a skyslider, maybe by trading off flexibility to hold arbitrary other things and/or optimizing the skyslider frame to tolerate higher than normal levels of storage stress. Perhaps further expand the design possibilities with ablative padding? That is, separate sheathes over wingtips, fins, or key joints which need to be added before the slider frame is stored (presumably from a stack of spares in a conventional seal), and then are mostly shredded, unsuitable for reuse, upon retrieval.

I think before we invest more time and energy into skysliders we should actually use them at least once

Voting is open for the next 13 hours, 34 minutes
Back