RWBY Thread III: Time To Say Goodbye

Stop: So gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
so gotta few things that need to be said real quick.
We get a lot of reports from this thread. A lot of it is just a series of people yelling at each other over arguments that have been rehashed hundreds of times since the end of the recent Volume. And I get that the last Volume - and RWBY in general, really - has some controversial moments that people will want to discuss, argue about, debate, etc.

That's fine. We're not going to stop people from doing that, because that's literally what the point of the thread is. However, there's just a point where it gets to be a bit too much, and arguments about whether or not Ironwood was morally justified in his actions in the recent Volume, or if RWBY and her team were in the right for withholding information from Ironwood out of distrust, or whatever flavor of argument of the day descend into insulting other posters, expressing a demeaning attitude towards other's opinions, and just being overall unpleasant. That tends to happen a lot in this thread. We want it to stop happening in this thread.

So! As of now the thread is in a higher state of moderation. What that means is that any future infractions will result in a weeklong boot from the thread, and repeated offenders will likely be permanently removed. So please, everyone endeavor to actually respect the other's arguments, and even if you strongly disagree with them please stay civil and mindful when it comes to responding to others.

In addition, users should refrain from talking about off-site users in the thread. Bear in mind that this does not mean that you cannot continue to post tumblr posts, for example, that add onto the discussion in the thread, with the caveat that it's related to RWBY of course. But any objections to offsite users in the thread should be handled via PM, or they'll be treated as thread violations and infracted as such.

Last edited:
I think the disconnect is some people see this as a spinoff and others see it as a disguised reboot. A reboot is what would be happening for a series that was quite successful but has dropped off recently. We don't really know which side is right at this point.
You don't reboot something that's still ongoing. MCU spider-man didn't occur while Amazing Spider-man was still ongoing. Again, some people are kind of just ignoring basic common sense with this.

You don't reboot something that's still ongoing. MCU spider-man didn't occur while Amazing Spider-man was still ongoing. Again, some people are kind of just ignoring basic common sense with this.
I agree that calling something a reboot while the original is still running isn't the best choice of words, but calling something a spinoff when it seems to not be in continuty with the main show is also incorrect. There isn't a great word for this kind of au side project, but it apperantly being it's own continuity does make it seem like an attempt to bring in new blood and lapsed fans, where it being in continuty would imply that the existing fandom is big enough to pay for the show by itself. All these people crowing about how this is a sign that the main show is doing super well are missing that.

I agree that calling something a reboot while the original is still running isn't the best choice of words, but calling something a spinoff when it seems to not be in continuty with the main show is also incorrect. There isn't a great word for this kind of au side project, but it apperantly being it's own continuity does make it seem like an attempt to bring in new blood and lapsed fans, where it being in continuty would imply that the existing fandom is big enough to pay for the show by itself. All these people crowing about how this is a sign that the main show is doing super well are missing that.
I mean, this spin-off would not be happening if the main show wasn't doing well. Like even an AU spin-off is a sign there is enough interest in the Franchise to warrant a new project. Like yes we're on a long Haitus but that's because of COVID but that doesn't mean Volume 9 is gonna get canceled or there's big worries about it. Yeah the show probably wants to capture new fans but that doesn't mean it's floundering. Volume 7's DVD sold almost as much as Dunkirk which is impressive when you consider all of Volume 7 is online for a free membership. It's not like the series peaked at Volume 3.

Personally I don't think this AU project is trying to recapture Older fans since the first and main art we have of it so far is something very removed from early Volume RWBY. Even with the new art I'm rather skeptical of the idea they're revisiting Beacon. Or least the idea that art alone is proof they are.

I mean, this spin-off would not be happening if the main show wasn't doing well. Like even an AU spin-off is a sign there is enough interest in the Franchise to warrant a new project. Like yes we're on a long Haitus but that's because of COVID but that doesn't mean Volume 9 is gonna get canceled or there's big worries about it. Yeah the show probably wants to capture new fans but that doesn't mean it's floundering. Volume 7's DVD sold almost as much as Dunkirk which is impressive when you consider all of Volume 7 is online for a free membership. It's not like the series peaked at Volume 3.

Personally I don't think this AU project is trying to recapture Older fans since the first and main art we have of it so far is something very removed from early Volume RWBY. Even with the new art I'm rather skeptical of the idea they're revisiting Beacon. Or least the idea that art alone is proof they are.
Yeah, unsuccessful shows don't get reboots. They get quietly dropped and then you don't hear from them again.

Last edited:
Sympathize with victims, but understand that you only know what you are told. My life motto.

Well... not actually my life motto. My life motto is "My advice to you is get married: If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates.

Snowboarder Ruby is the only design I like here. And the whole abusive asshole on staff thing has put me off (as has the people trying to defend him in this thread), and I wasn't exactly jazzed to begin with.

Boo.

Eh, I'm not really digging these, I think. Yang's the only one that doesn't immediately feel wrong, somehow.

Apparently the website they origina
Snowboarder Ruby is the only design I like here. And the whole abusive asshole on staff thing has put me off (as has the people trying to defend him in this thread), and I wasn't exactly jazzed to begin with.

Boo.
I'm not trying to defend him I'm just saying I literally do not have enough info either way to make a judgement call.

I really wish the english verison of the website worked because I really want to want to know what the hell the bios are saying

The Tie-in comic makes me think it might be some sort of non-canon movie thing like Naruto had a bunch of but this uh, feels like a lot of work and big names for something like that and uh, something's up with Blake and Weiss

Back