So, leaving a nice trail of craters behind us? I would really favour security through obscurity in this specific case.

If that is the purpose we could cut the timer down to a week - saves research time and a week is long enough to make the search radius wide.
I think we were wanting a month because almost all our other runes last a month at most and people are leery of blowing up an active rune

Why not just use a seal for that…?
I speculate that we want the extra power to ensure the rune and it's fragments are completely disintegrated/randomized, so that someone can't examine the cracked pieces.

If that is the purpose we could cut the timer down to a week - saves research time and a week is long enough to make the search radius wide.
I think we were wanting a month because almost all our other runes last a month at most and people are leery of blowing up an active rune
This.
We should *really* specify a variable-timer tho.

Last edited:
I speculate that we want the extra power to ensure the rune and it's fragments are completely disintegrated/randomized, so that someone can't examine the cracked pieces.
We can probably just slap down a bunch of seals to guarantee destruction. Reference material needs to be pretty precise to count, from what we saw of Orochimaru's struggles.

That said, I do like the fact that Explosive Runes can't be removed the same way seals can. Plus, imagine if we accidentally kill Sasori when he tries to study one of our old pieces and one of those goes off right next to him!

What's the use case? (Pls note that this is a general question for anyone to answer.)
As others said, to destroy the buried runes we leave behind. Bury the explosive rune (puffer size) with the other rune and forget about it.
Why not just use a seal for that…?
The seals we have don't have a timer of sufficient length. Skipping from "ten minutes" to "a month" is a huge step on the time ladder. I think it's easier to do this with runes and there's practically no downside. Save the substrate cost. Which is minimal with puffer size explosives.
So, leaving a nice trail of craters behind us? I would really favour security through obscurity in this specific case
Puffer size explosives buried 100m down, shouldn't leave much of a crater. Especially if there's no open space to collapse.
Many of our runes last longer than a week.
We should *really* specify a variable-timer tho.
Since the explosives are variable timer I assumed it was implicit. I'll make sure that's clear in the linked prep day. The plan always was, and remains for the timers to be up to a month
We can probably just slap down a bunch of seals to guarantee destruction. Reference material needs to be pretty precise to count, from what we saw of Orochimaru's struggles.

That said, I do like the fact that Explosive Runes can't be removed the same way seals can. Plus, imagine if we accidentally kill Sasori when he tries to study one of our old pieces and one of those goes off right next to him!
Amusing, but 100% of my rationale is that researching the long-duration seems like something runes can do with much less difficulty than seals.

Last edited:
What I don't get is the vauge "gravity rune". What's the plan there?

But yeah, it would be nice to know what the reasoning is beyond unelaborated "discord things".
Someone @ProperAttorney (?) on Discord, made the argument that gravity manipulation seems like something runes would be good at (I agree with him). I don't particularly think either Chakra EMP or Distressers will be easy to do with runes, so they seemed lower priority than that.

Gravity would be for training and debuffing enemies.

IMO, how do you magically enact Medical effects on people without mednin? It would then follow that you'd need to know how to make a rune manipulate/produce Medical chakra... which means leveling mednin. Again, just IMO.
Hazou doesn't need to understand the physics behind time dilation (whatever they may be in-universe that allow for the TRs to work) to create a time dilation rune, why wouldn't the same apply to magical medicine runes?

Hazou doesn't need to understand the physics behind time dilation (whatever they may be in-universe that allow for the TRs to work) to create a time dilation rune, why wouldn't the same apply to magical medicine runes?
He probably could eventually figure it out, it's just substantially easier when you use the already existing magic system. We've also been told making psychic effects would be substantially easier if he already knows genjutsu, for example.

I don't really think it's safe to move while Yuno is so severely injured; if we run into nasties in the air while on the move into a region that is known to have nasties, she will Just Die.

Long Fuse Explosive

Seal

An explosive seal that can be set on a timer of up to "a month" on the timeladder.

Does not need to be mobile or single element.

Last edited:
an Evil Continent has appeared. We now control Satsuko, Hazō has been vaporised, and the Evil Continent is just the Elemental Nations but entirely evil and coming at us. They have a nega!Hazō btw. Funnily enough he's head of his own Team Downfall
So the elemental Nation wait no they actually managed to put the differences Aside.

...So the elemental Nations but they're willing to work together, you're right this is scary (this is where exclamation point would go)

Okay, given that I want to do Iron Earth Runes immediately after TR140s, I am very strongly considering trimming the plan to one research cycle+leave to go West. Do any of my voters object to this?
It's possible but not certain that it would be worth sticking around for at least one more update.

We still haven't crossed the 2/3 threshold between ES and PS, but we're now consistently in that range. I know the thread hates the idea of raising ES to 60 to create substrate because it messes with the pyramid, and we spent so long chasing it (even if we did become rich along the way). But unless we don't time ladder (which has different issues), or hack a stunt/variation that makes making runes easier (and there's a bunch of this we want to optimize on ES, and we'll only get one first shot before it becomes a lot harder), that's going to be a restricting factor soon.
Note that you don't know for a fact that ES60 will allow you to create substrate. You do know that Bones of Creation 30 will do it.

Can you tell us the high level of what difference (if any) we noticed so we can properly account for how to use Kagome and his shadow clones in future plans?
Haven't thought about it, sorry.

Puffer size explosives buried 100m down, shouldn't leave much of a crater. Especially if there's no open space to collapse.
Note that moving an active rune 100m takes more than 60 hours. You can do this various ways (e.g. by using Tunnel Excavation or Earthshaping to make a vertical shaft under the rune and allow it to fall over the course of a few days) or you can infuse it at the bottom of a shaft to start with.

Mostly the same as the other plan, but without leaving the cave's locale. It's fine to be 60 miles away or so.

[X] Action Plan: Not Getting Out Of My Chair
Word Count: <299
Desired Duration: 8 subjective, 6 sidereal days.

• Sanity check with Uplift
  • Hazou
    • Continue researching Unchained TR140 and Force Domes w/DoB, full prep, reroll for progress
    • Research also Long Fuse Explosive, begin by prepping one day, if genin difficulty, begin no-DoB no-prep infusions, if chunin, prep 4 days total, reroll for safety only. If more difficult, abort.
    • After TR140 finishes, prep 1 day and research Storm Runes/Remote Explosive w/ DoB (IFF they are Easy or Trivial).
    • Test if an explosive will completely destroy an expended rune.
    • Examine the misterator that wouldn't activate.
    • Work on setting up a base camp within a few hours of the cave, with the intention to swing by for a swim every 10 days (remain wary for chakravores).
    • Continue to FOOM as much as possible, use previous chakra budget.
    • Ask Mari if there's any difference in her aura from the chakra water.
  • Noburi
    • Should prioritize healing Yuno, SC research, and teaching Hazou Mednin, in that order.
    • Collect additional data from the chakra water until he thinks we can eventually replicate the effect without returning to the grotto.
  • Kagome
    • Continue working on Banshee Fuckers. Coordinate with Hazou to avoid finishing cycles too far apart.
  • Kei+Tenten
    • Prioritize searching the caves for the Otter Scroll (we know this is a long shot). More prosaically, clean up any traces of our battles. They should retreat from any sign of chakravores/magmaspines. Send Canvass with them to help search.

Last edited:
Mostly the same as the other plan, but without leaving the cave's locale. It's fine to be 60 miles away or so
I don't know why you would think this. Hidan can definitely track us down if he's within 5 miles or so. He can narrow down a 60 mile radius circle pretty fast (days) if we're stuck to it.

It sounds like you want to stay here permanently, and that is a deeply terrible idea.

If we leave we give up triple tracking runes (as opposed to double tracking them) and like 400ish chakra out of our budget. Cuts us down about 5 training blocks per day.

It's really not that bad. Like running another track of research.

Notice that we will die if Hidan catches us.

Back