Voting is open for the next 9 hours, 6 minutes
Obvious-in-retrospect addition to the research plan: it's possible that the crystals are what's causing the water to have its properties, so we ought to study the crystals too. I recommend taking samples, waving our chakrascopes at it, and adding "rune that recreates this crystal" to our list of prep days.

Rune That Recreates This Crystal
Manipulates nearby stone to bear all the physical properties of the sample crystals harvested from the Otter Cave. The type of stone the rune is designed to convert is either red granite or extant runecrafting-grade substrate, whichever Hazou thinks has a better chance of working.

Of course, it could be possible that the crystal is literally just substrate, chakra-conducive in a way that the cave entity uses to Do Things, and thus transmuting substrate into this crystal is a meaningless operation, but if so that's fine.

Last edited:
I'm...only counting 3 days in the cave, and even then those days were spent dealing with the cave/clearing it out (which we still haven't completed). Before then it's a week traveling + finding the cave.
There's no reason Hazou had to search for the cave, he could have been researching.
Yes. There is a straight shot to the surface, everything else is walled off. The path down here was remarkably lacking in...well, anything in the way of macrolife. Some bugs and such but none of the larger life one would expect.
Pinging also @Velorien @Paperclipped

About how far down is this? (How many aerial Zones long is the tunnel down?)

There's no reason Hazou had to search for the cave, he could have been researching.
Burning all his chakra + his teammates' chakra to multithread while the cave, which he is going to be hiding in, is not secured? That is more risky than the current situation FMPOV. Even the argument that Hazou just single-threads research is still a concern as it makes him a sitting duck while doing research.

Burning all his chakra + his teammates' chakra to multithread while the cave, which he is going to be hiding in, is not secured? That is more risky than the current situation FMPOV. Even the argument that Hazou just single-threads research is still a concern as it makes him a sitting duck while doing research.
Could have set up a base to multithread in while they were looking for the cave. Guarded by Mari or something

It also doesn't take much chakra to multithread research, much less than the entire teams regen. It's safe enough.

Could have set up a base to multithread in while they were looking for the cave. Guarded by Mari or something
I don't think an aerial research base is Kagome-approved and landing would go against our OPSEC plan to leave minimal traces within the region.
It also doesn't take much chakra to multithread research, much less than the entire teams regen. It's safe enough.
Yes, but my point was more that we can't safely have Hazou multithread research while the team clears the cave while they're not at 100%.

I don't think an aerial research base is Kagome-approved and landing would go against our OPSEC plan to leave minimal traces within the region.
I don't see why landing is a problem, this is a deserted area -- as deserted as Aisu Bay. It's good enough
Yes, but my point was more that we can't safely have Hazou multithread research while the team clears the cave while they're not at 100%.
This is true, and given the risk of provoking the cave during the update where we poke at it I'd rather not start multithreading yet.

We can just do it after we get everyone chakra-watered and the cave measured to the best of our ability. I don't see how one additional day is going to matter.

I don't see why landing is a problem, this is a deserted area -- as deserted as Aisu Bay. It's good enough

This is true, and given the risk of provoking the cave during the update where we poke at it I'd rather not start multithreading yet.

We can just do it after we get everyone chakra-watered and the cave measured to the best of our ability. I don't see how one additional day is going to matter.
Um.

To be clear, my concern is that Hazou can be/should be multithreading research after we get the cave secure, such that after and even while Noburi and Kagome are researching the pool (which takes place after it is secured) Hazou is doing research. But FMPOV your plan has us only doing prep work research.

Um.

To be clear, my concern is that Hazou can be/should be multithreading research after we get the cave secure, such that after and even while Noburi and Kagome are researching the pool (which takes place after it is secured) Hazou is doing research. But FMPOV your plan has us only doing prep work research.
Researching the pool doing what? Do you think they'll have significantly more to do than a ~day of taking measurements and a ~day of collaborating with Hazou to determine how to replicate the effects with a rune?

If Nobs wants to do it with his bloodline only -- yes that would take longer, but I just want to do the part that we need to know to determine our next runic research project.

We can't secure the pool against golem attack without provoking it and fighting the golems, my plan does not do that, but instead has us take all our measurements, retreat to a safe location and do the research.

I don't understand what you want here. We need to take the next two days to take measurements and try to figure out how to replicate the grotto with a rune, and you want to also multithread research while we do that?

I don't understand what you want here. We need to take the next two days to take measurements and try to figure out how to replicate the grotto with a rune, and you want to also multithread research while we do that?
Yes. I want to multithread research while we try to measure/replicate the grotto with a rune. At the least, I want to multithread research while we do prep days for the grotto runes.

Yes. I want to multithread research while we try to measure/replicate the grotto with a rune. At the least, I want to multithread research while we do prep days for the grotto runes.
I am not shoehorning a no-prep yes-DoB cycle into this plan. I am not doing a longer cycle when we don't know how the experiments will go.

We are currently doing 4 prep days with an additional callout for the NPCs having their own ideas. We can only run 5 tracks anyway. So we can't even double up on DoB if we research.

"It's beautiful," Noburi said quietly. Yuno stood next to him, their arms around each other's waists and her head tipped against his as they looked out across the grotto.
Ok, precisely at this point I changed tabs without realizing and continued reading (none the wiser) what turns out was the prologue of a rever isekai fic. There aren't words to describe how absolutely baffled I felt.

I am not shoehorning a no-prep yes-DoB cycle into this plan. I am not doing a longer cycle when we don't know how the experiments will go.

We are currently doing 4 prep days with an additional callout for the NPCs having their own ideas. We can only run 5 tracks anyway. So we can't even double up on DoB if we research.
*realizes that the plan calls for all runes done in one day*

*begins to object that the rune sequence seems to be best done sequentially and not in parallel*

*rereads the details of the runes and reconsiders*

Alright, fair enough. I had thought getting veterancy for the runes you'd posted would be beneficial if they were to be done in sequence, but thinking about it runic power confounds that effect.

I would instead suggest adding for Hazou to do other research/reading if he decides he can't do it (for example, if he thinks he needs to be an actual med-nin to even know what he's doing).

I would instead suggest adding for Hazou to do other research/reading if he decides he can't do it (for example, if he thinks he needs to be an actual med-nin to even know what he's doing).
He's doing this automatically I think.

@eaglejarl @Velorien @Paperclipped is it possible for Noburi to help Hazou with more than 1 prep day in a single calendar day? The plan calls for Hazou to multitrack the 4 prep days Noburi is supposed to help with, it's not clear to me what role, if any, Noburi would play in this, so I want to make sure he can help all of the clones.

I could imagine a process where Noburi's role is fairly limited, just figuring out what the rune is supposed to do in terms of medical chakra, and Hazou figuring out how to operationalize it with PS takes most of the time.

Or it could be something more involved, where Noburi has to be involved in every step of the process. In he first, it seems that Noburi could help with all 4 prep days at once, the second he might struggle to help with a single one.

Obvious-in-retrospect addition to the research plan: it's possible that the crystals are what's causing the water to have its properties, so we ought to study the crystals too. I recommend taking samples, waving our chakrascopes at it, and adding "rune that recreates this crystal" to our list of prep days.
Also worth checking whether we can simply duplicate the crystal directly via Earthshaping. Even if it doesn't work, might learn something from failed approximations. Or invent a specialized jutsu, like Oro did for substrate?

Also worth checking whether we can simply duplicate the crystal directly via Earthshaping. Even if it doesn't work, might learn something from failed approximations. Or invent a specialized jutsu, like Oro did for substrate?
My plan has us test ES on the crystal. I guess I could suggest we try to duplicate it with ES, but I mostly expect it'll be the same as substrate.

Our TH is far too low to try to hack something that duplicates the crystal directly.

Last edited:
What does this mean exactly? The rune uses this as base material? Do you mind clarifying this for the QMs?
That's the intent, yeah, because I figure the QMs might object to a lack of specification there. Hopefully this wording is more clear:
Rune That Recreates This Crystal
Manipulates nearby stone to bear all the physical properties of the sample crystals harvested from the Otter Cave. The type of stone the rune is designed to convert is either red granite or extant runecrafting-grade substrate, whichever Hazou thinks has a better chance of working.

[x] Action Plan: Another Golem's Den?
Nice plan.

Maybe specify that we seal/dispose of the wildlife carcasses to not attract more predators? If we have spare wordcount.
Or use them as bait for more VD drain, whatever.

In the nearish future, I'd like to scout/clear the rest of the cave system(if there are any uncleared areas), and check out the nearby centre of the "dice triangle", in hopes of securing the otter scroll.

Last edited:
Voting is open for the next 9 hours, 6 minutes
Back