You know, I wonder if Kyuubey (in a world with Wraiths) didn't want to say 'they'll steal your emotions' because a potential recruit might get scared off by that, could instead say 'you'll lose your magic' like how he deflects about Witching? Griefseeds do seem to lose the colorfull whatever they have in them as a Soulgem, which seems to be the closest thing we've seen to an indication of where magic is located within it. Perhaps that's part of the conceit it uses there?

Edit: Also what if when we ever do try using whatever our version of a witches kiss is, it turns out we can use that to basically give people magic powers? Witches use them to control people, but if they weren't so ruled by negative emotions could people use the power granted if allowed?

Well lets see...

The kisses sabrina uses would effectively be different to what witches use them for, we havent really tested them but it might be possible to give some abilities with one of those kisses.

For example, that time we made a construct that let us fight on par with Mami, we could possibly turn it into a kiss (Sabrina peck?) but I do not know if it will be able to leave our range.

Would be cool but in the end it kinda of a crutch.

If we really need it in an energency id say use it (like fighting Walmart) but I rather get on Mami's level without the crutch.

Over-use would be bad, true. Making it and having them copy it right now means that it becomes available for when it's really needed, such as for a girl who will have only one month of experience when the deadliest Witch in the world comes to Mitakihara, or if we get attacked by somebody like the Iowa group without us spotting them first. It's a tool we need to make available before it is needed, especially because that's the work of seconds, if we do it at a point where Sayaka and Kasumi are already present.

When did we make this?
It was one of our really early experiments.
Pretty late, but just for future reference:
There isn't really any reason you can't cheat, though. Or there shouldn't be.

You will the Grief in your hand into... something to guide you. Something to help you fight better in melee. You push for a moment.

More Grief.

Some of your swarm diverts to you, and the Grief melts. Streamers reach for you, questing tendrils that you meet with one outstretched hand. They wrap around you, a harness -a brace- under your coat, singing Witch, Witch, Witch. You feel... direction flow into your limbs, memory of fights won written into your nerves.
It was more of a brace that helped us at melee... but the general concept should still work.

Hazard Course Pt. 43
[X] Make some calls
-[X] Ask if Rin is willing to help Niko with the Soujus victims
--[X] Offer financial compensation?
-[X] Contact the Murasaki Shrine Maidens and schedule a meeting for tomorrow
--[X] Consult Yuki, should we ask to claim a building now or later? Also, the omiki thing
--[X] Ask if there are any other groups they're acquainted with that might want to join the meeting
--[X] Decide whether to meet them on the way to the Kagoshima group meeting or on the way back.
[X] Make some purchases
-[X] Get the cake for Kagoshima
-[X] Snacks and drinks for the upcoming trips
-[X] Picture frames to bring home and a camera
-[X] A gift for Nagisa and Mr Momoe?
-[X] A perch for Mugin
[X] Visit the Iowa group leader
[X] While we're there, we should chat with Yuki if she's available
-[X] Pick Yuki's brain about how to build our eventual moon colony (our ulterior motives may involve dates with Mami on the moon)
-[X] H-hugs?
[X] Track down Kyouko and Yuma
-[X] Figure out whether Kyouko and Yuma want Yuma to go to school
--[X] Offer some alternatives if traditional schooling doesn't appeal: we could also try online or home schooling
-[X] Either way, introduce Kyouko to our hackerguca so she can deal with Yuma's legal guardianship

"What's next is that I need to make some calls," you say with a rueful grin buried in her hair. "And also some shopping, then heading to Fukushima."

"That sounds good," Mami says, sighing happily into your shoulder. "I have to say, this isn't particularly discouraging me from taking up a life of delinquency."

"Mami..." you say fondly.

"I know, I know," she says. "I wouldn't, really. But... spending time with you like this is just wonderful. And!" She steps back to beam at you. "Even if I were to drop out of school, I'm certain you wouldn't let me fall behind on my education."

"I wouldn't," you say. "But it's not just abou-"

"I know, I know, socialization with my peers is important," Mami says, her grin widening as she cuts you off, and reaches up to cup your cheek. "We did cover the theory of education in civics classes. I'm not really planning on dropping out, but I can't help but resent it a little, now that I know there's something greater I could be doing."

"That's more than reasonable," you say. "But consider, on the other hand, that Mr. Truancy Officer would hunt me down if you dropped out of school, you know?"

You fake a shiver, even as Mami giggles, silvery peals of laughter ringing out past the sun-drenched rooftop.

"Well, you are a bad influence," Mami says. "But speaking of Mr. Truancy Officer, let's not linger too long, hm? They do do sweeps after classes begin, after all."

"Ah, yeah," you say, looking around. With your friends gone, it feels oddly empty here, and even the sound of students talking and playing is long gone by now - and it'd take better hearing than yours to hear the various classes starting up once more. "Alright. Let's go, then!"

You offer a hand to Mami, wings of Grief unfurling from your back. She beams at you, accepting your hand, and you tug her lightly into the air, a powerful wingbeat lofting you both towards the skies. You're cheating outrageously, of course, nanofog settling around Mami so that you aren't just yanking her entire body weight up by one arm, but... it's still magic. More than that, it's magical, in a sense beyond the purely obvious.

Mami laughs in breathless delight as you pull her into the skies, trusting you utterly not to drop her. And sure, falling from this height wouldn't faze her in the slightest, not with her own magic and ingenuity and bottomless bag of tricks. But in the gold of her eyes, sparkling with pure joy, you also see her utter trust that it won't ever become necessary even as you rise above the roofs of Mitakihara, the skyscrapers glittering under the afternoon sun. You grin at Mami and bank to the side, soaring north.

"Oh!" you call. A twist of thought and nanofog carries the words to Mami, ensuring she can hear you. "Mami, so... quick shopping stop, then dropping off back home, then heading back out? Need to pick up a cake, and I'd rather have that in the fridge until tomorrow."

"Pick up a cake?" Mami sounds vaguely offended by the notion.

"Ah, yeah, for the Kagoshima group? I mentioned that over lunch, right?" you say, glancing down at her.

"Oh, right," Mami says, looking sheepish. "Ah, yes, I remember. I suppose I can't begrudge them having their preferences."

You laugh.

"Mami, you're an amazing cook and baker, and I'd prefer something you made every time," you tell her. "But you know how it is with café culture."

"I know, I know," Mami huffs. "I was just surprised and forgot about it, that's all."

"Perfectly understandable," you say solemnly. "Anyway. I figure that I'll make some telepathic calls while we shop, since I-"

You slam to a halt midair, a sliver of your attention bringing Mami to a much gentler standstill beside you as you freeze, wings outstretched.

"... Sabrina?" Mami asks, pulling herself up so that she's eye level with you, arm looped around your shoulders.

"... I'm an idiot," you grumble. "Or, well, overthinking it. Or underthinking it, I don't know. I forgot I've never spoken to- wait, no, I have a solution. OK."

Mami frowns lightly, tilting her head, and then laughs.

"Ah. You mentioned them earlier, so... were the Murasaki shrine maidens some of the people you wanted to call?" she asks, smiling.

"And I just remembered that I've never actually been in contact with them before, yes," you grumble. "But then I also remembered that I do actually have a solution. It's a really good thing we met Nadia way back then; I'll have to ask her to help facilitate."

"Dear, silly Sabrina," Mami says, giggling fondly and reaching up to pat you on the head. "Who else will you be calling?"

You laugh, shaking yourself and resume your flight with a powerful sweep of your wings, Mami now tucked against your shoulder instead of at the end of your outstretched hand.

"Uhm," you say. "Miss Mori, from the Sendai girls, to see whether we can hire her to help with the revival project. I figure I can afford to pay her for it. And maybe Miss Tsuruya, but I suppose we'll be seeing her in person shortly anyway, so nevermind."

"I can get in contact with Miss Mori while you speak to Miss Bennouna and the Murasaki girls?" Mami offers.

You blink.

"That would actually be really nice, yeah," you say, beaming at her.

"And..." Mami worries at her lower lip for a moment. "I'm not sure whether you've considered this, Sabrina, but Yuma is a very powerful healer. She might be able to contribute to the healing project too, in lieu of or in addition to Miss Mori?"

"I... huh," you say, blinking. "No, that hadn't occurred to me, actually. I... mm."

"It would be good for Yuma to contribute, I feel. And... you mentioned, earlier, potentially offering to help Yuma get into school." Mami hesitates, a flicker of pain crossing her face. "I... can't say I know what Kyouko feels about school, at this point - I do think it's worth making the offer, but I'm not sure she would be willing to let Yuma go."

You try to hug her close, gently pulling her in, only for her to shake her head slightly and smiling slightly. You answer her smile with one of her own and let her, because she wants to finish her thought. Because she's no shrinking violet, no coward.

"But if she does want Yuma to go to school, I think she'd... hate it even more if it were a favour you handed to her, just like that," Mami says. "I... don't know her as well as I used to, but I think I'm right on this much, at least, and Yuma will follow her lead."

"Ah," you say, cottoning on. "And you think that making it a trade might make it go down easier. I see what you mean, but Kyouko..."

"Agreed," Mami says, with a soft sigh that she abandons in favour of a smile and pulling herself properly into your arms.

"... I think I'd also want to put other forms of schooling on the table for Kyouko and Yuma," you note. "I mean, online courses, for one. I think it'd be better for them both to actually make friends with people their own age and who aren't magical girls, but... honestly, education is in and of itself kind of important."

"Mmm," Mami agrees.

You grump to yourself. It's elegant in its simplicity: debt, instead of charity, secure Yuma's help for the project in return for getting her back in school, and maybe, just maybe, earn a little credit with Kyouko. Because she's in no way stupid enough to miss the radical departure from your usual behaviour for what it really is: a way to let her save some of her pride. Of course, she might take offense at you specifically going out of your way to let her save her pride, paradox that she is.

Not to mention that the whole discussion does leave hanging the question of whether Yuma would want to go to school, or whether Kyouko would let her out of her sight, and you can't really predict either of those without talking to them.

Mami's a solid presence against you, half tucked under your coat and a source of radiating warmth that sinks into you in defiance of the rushing wind as you both work through the same lines of thought. Not an uncomfortable silence by any means, just a preoccupied one, the grand, sweeping vista of Mitakihara a breathtaking backdrop as you think, and soar onwards.

Eventually, you come in for a landing, flaring your wings and gliding gracefully to a halt atop a rooftop in the Shinmachi district - you'll find your way to the bakery on foot, you figure. Mami lingers in your embrace for a moment longer before stepping back, turning to pace over to the edge of the roof and peer at the streets below, teeming with cars and people even now, just past lunchtime.

"And now," Mami declares with overwrought, melodramatic dismay, half turning so that she cuts a silhouette in profile against the skyline of Mitakihara and pressing the back of her hand to her forehead. "To search for a café. A specific café. To buy cakes from them. The indignity, Sabrina. The dishonour."

"They don't know the glory of your cooking, Mami," you say gravely. "They know not the insult they give."

Mami wails, and lets herself tip over the edge to plummet to the ground below. You huff fondly and follow, leaping down to the alleyway to join Mami - just in time to see her costume dissolve in a blaze of light, leaving her in her school uniform as she detransforms, resplendently bright against the dirt of the alleyway.

"Oh, hi, Sabrina!" she says brightly. "Fancy seeing you here."

You laugh, stepping forward to link your arm through hers.

"Hello to you too," you say, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "Will your school uniform be a problem?"

"It might," Mami says, beaming at you despite her words. "I do have an excuse slip from school, but officially, I'm supposed to be resting."

"Disguise, maybe?" you suggest, but Mami shakes her head.

"Anyone our age and not in school at this time would be under suspicion," Mami says, smiling at you. "Conversely, I would say that said suspicion is alleviated for you both because of your bearing and because you look obviously foreign, Sabrina. I believe that as long as I stay near you, I won't be bothered."

"Ah, I see," you say, grinning. "I'm your shield against being accused of being a delinquent."

"Exactly so," Mami says gravely. "Now, let's get this over quickly. Better to rip the bandage off, after all."

You snicker, but acquiesce, and together, you head out of the alley, merging into the foot traffic, and as expected, the two of you get more than a few curious looks as you walk onwards. You do make quite the odd pair, you suppose, especially with Mami in her school uniform, but no one approaches you, and you manage to locate the café, and...

It occupies two whole storefronts, polished glass and white-painted wood and burnished brass forming a strong first impression, along with the refrigerated display cases full of cakes and pastries, and even at this hour, it fairly throngs with people, some just ogling the display pieces, some sitting down to eat. You suppose you can see why someone who'd only been here once might have fond memories of it, especially as you're assaulted by the deliciously fragrant scent of baking confectionaries as you head in.

Mami's feigned disinterest and wounded pride melts away in a matter of moments. She's indisputably a talented baker, your own biases aside, but even Mami herself winds up admitting that these people are talented professionals, mounds of confectionaries of a dozen different traditions and styles, from frosted cakes to decorated buns to adorable little hamster pastries you'd feel bad about eating.

Of course, you're not just browsing - as you debate criticisms and merits of various pastries with Mami, you reach out mentally to Nadia.

"Miss Bennouna? Do you have a moment to speak?" you venture in her native Darija.

"Miss Sabrina!" is the cheerful response. "It's good to hear from you! How have you been?"

"We've been quite well, how about you?" you say, blinking as you inspect a cake for possible fondant contamination.

"Good, good! Give my best to Miss Tomoe," Nadia says neutrally. "Ah, and the Clear Seed you provided me with has been working just fine! I even used it to help a girl down on her luck yesterday, fimti?"

"Ah!" you say, a smile rising unbidden to your face. "I'm glad. Will she be alright?"

"I do hope so," Nadia says. "My Korean is not the best, and I dislike relying on my translation enchantments for something like this, but I brought her to her friends, fimti?"

"... Korean?" you say, blinking in surprise. "Weren't you headed to China?"

"I go where the wind takes me!" Nadia says cheerfully. "So, I changed course from Hokkaido and for now, I am in Korea. Besides, Korea is on the way to China."

"... fair enough," you say.

"So, did you need to ask me something?" Nadia asks.

"Ah, yeah, sorry," you say. "Would you be able to put me in contact with the Murasaki Shrine Maidens?"

"This is about meeting them?" Nadia asks.

"Yeah, you piqued my interest, and I have need of a strong healer for a project anyway, so it seemed a good time," you explain.

"Certainly I can," Nadia says. "Though it's not necessary, I will say? They welcome visitors."

"Ah," you say. "That's kind of unusual, but anyway, I'd feel better if I did check in with them first."

"Understandable. Alright, one moment," Nadia says, falling silent.

You sneak a smile at Mami - between the two of you, you've decided to select a variety of small pastries rather than one big one, since you're not aware of any specific requests. And so you have a tray, both you and Mami picking out choice selections and loading them up.

You feel the telepathic connection shift, a new mental presence joining yours.

"Miss Koyanagi, this is Vee Sabrina of Mitakihara," Nadia says in her accented Japanese. "Miss Sabrina, this is Koyanagi Saki."

"A pleasure, Miss Vee," Saki says, her voice a low, reserved contralto. "We've heard good things of you."

"Really?" you say, surprised. "I hadn't expected word to spread that far yet."

"The magical girl grapevine is efficient," Nadia says gravely. "But I shall leave you to it. Goodbye!"

"Safe travels!" you tell her.

"Be well," Saki says, her attention returning to you as Nadia drops out. "How may I help you, Miss Vee?"

"Well, I realize that it's rather short notice, but I was hoping to drop by for a visit in person tomorrow," you say. "I hope that wouldn't be an imposition?"

"Murasaki shrine is open at all times, Miss Vee," Saki says, gentle amusement colouring her tone. "It is our duty. Magical girls are welcome too, as long as you abide by the peace."

"Ah, that's a relief," you say. "Are there any better or worse times?"

"We aren't hosting any ceremonies beyond the routine tomorrow, so no," Saki says. "Thank you for the consideration, but truly, any time is acceptable."

"In that case, I'll most likely drop by mid-afternoon? There's a possibility of later afternoon, depending on how things go elsewhere," you say, because it's just polite. Even if any time is acceptable, some times are preferred, and scheduling ahead just seems the right thing to do.

"Then we will look forward to seeing you," Saki says. "Until we meet in person, then?"

"Until tomorrow!" you say.

And that ends the call, as you turn your attention to Mami - she still has that slightly distant look on her face that tells you she's also holding her own telepathic conversation, presumably with Rin. You take that opportunity to pay for the tray of cakes, the cashier cheerfully providing you with an insulated box and a slab of dry ice to keep the cake chilled when you mention you'll be bringing them cross-country.

You'll be sticking it in the fridge back home rather than heading to Kyoto right this moment, of course, making that dry ice unnecessary, but by the time it comes up, they're already halfway through packing it up. So you just thank him, and head out of the shop, box balanced carefully on one arm with a bit of Grief to make doubly sure.

"Miss Mori's willing to work with us," Mami reports as you step outside. "She did sound a little reluctant to work on something experimental, but money is money, I suppose."

"Ah, hrm," you say, frowning thoughtfully. "Might be a bit of a personality clash, then, given Niko's... everything. Nadia sends her regards, by the way."

"Kazumi would try to keep the peace, but..." Mami grins ruefully. "I think she should be a second choice."

"Fair enough," you say. "So... Yuma, and-or the Murasaki shrine maidens, if they're willing."

"That sounds like a plan," Mami says, and beams. "Now, did you mention that you had more shopping in mind?"

"Just some bits and bobs and snacks, and maybe groceries?" you say. "Just... while we're out here, you know."

"I'm not going to complain in the slightest," Mami says, amused. "Lead on, Sabrina."

[x] Heading out to speak to the Iowa girls
- [] Do you have any specific talking points?
- [] Any specific approach to start with?
- [] Write-in (word count limit: 150 words)

[X] Make some purchases
-[X] Get the cake for Kagoshima
-[X] Snacks and drinks for the upcoming trips
-[X] Picture frames to bring home and a camera
-[X] A gift for Nagisa and Mr Momoe?
-[X] A perch for Mugin
[X] Visit the Iowa group leader
[X] While we're there, we should chat with Yuki if she's available
-[X] Pick Yuki's brain about how to build our eventual moon colony (our ulterior motives may involve dates with Mami on the moon)
-[X] H-hugs?

=====​

So! Let's get back to it. The next update will bring you through the rest of the shopping trip and off to Fukushima. As a reminder, since it's been a while: the leader of the Iowa group, one First-Name-Unknown Parró, asked to speak to you. You turned her down on your first trip through Fukushima, but decided to speak to her after lunch, which would be now. You don't know why she wants to speak to you, but if you've got any specific approach you want to take with her, now's the time to set the opening act.

Last edited:
"And now," Mami declares with overwrought, melodramatic dismay, half turning so that she cuts a silhouette in profile against the skyline of Mitakihara and pressing the back of her hand to her forehead. "To search for a café. A specific café. To buy cakes from them. The indignity, Sabrina. The dishonour."

"They don't know the glory of your cooking, Mami," you say gravely. "They know not the insult they give."

Mami wails, and lets herself tip over the edge to plummet to the ground below. You huff fondly and follow, leaping down to the alleyway to join Mami - just in time to see her costume dissolve in a blaze of light, leaving her in her school uniform as she detransforms, resplendently bright against the dirt of the alleyway.

"Oh, hi, Sabrina!" she says brightly. "Fancy seeing you here."

You laugh, stepping forward to link your arm through hers.

"Hello to you too," you say, pressing a kiss to her cheek.
And here we see the fundamental compatibility between Mami and Sabrina. They're both melodramatic dorks.

Doooooooorks.

Anyway, nice to see that the Shrine Maidens are indeed welcoming, and that they've heard good things.

Having decent relations with them is a good way of working on extending our cleansing reach - their reputation means having them vouch for us will be useful, they should have a pretty deep rolodex of groups they can help us contact to arrange meetings, and we can be reasonably sure that any Clear Seeds we give them will be shared with visitors in need.

On a similar vein, I'd like to contact our American IRC friends at some point today - there's a lot of news to discuss with them given everything that's happened since our last chat, and if we could arrange a trip with Yuki along to claim a base, then we could unlock North American fast travel and start spreading in more continents.

If Kyouko is willing, then Yuma's help with the re-embodiment would be excellent, yes. And getting Yuma back into school and interacting with other kids her age would be good for her in the long run as well - so if we can pull that off, I'm all for it.

Beyond that... for today, we've got the Iowa interview on the docket, plus the talk with Shin (Nagisa's caretaker). We owe him an explanation for why we flaked out on Nagisa during the Iowa Group hunt, plus this is our chance to, at minimum, get Nagisa some additional warnings not to contract, and at maximum, get another adult on-board that is willing to help us.

PMAS UPDATE FINALLY YEAAAAAAH I LOVE MY DORKS

Shrine Maidens sound great, looking forward to meeting them properly

"That you kicked the Iowa group's asses!" Nadia says cheerfully. "Also that you traveled way faster than me, all the way down to Myanmar, to administer the asskicking."

This feels a little weird, didn't Sabrina call and tell Nadia the news directly? I distinctly remember us confirming with her on whether we captured every known Iowa member

"Mmhm," Nadia says neutrally. "Ah, and the Clear Seed you provided me with has been working just fine! I even used it to help a girl down on her luck yesterday, fimti?"

"Ah!" you say, a smile rising unbidden to your face. "I'm glad. Will she be alright?"

Whenever we figure out a non-Kyubey telepathy network we should implement telepathic hugs / headpats

Good job Nadia!

"Fair enough," you say. "So... Yuma, and-or the Murasaki shrine maidens, if they're willing."

Yuma and Murasaki Shrine Maidens both sounds doable to me

I figured it couldn't hurt to invite Rin because we could work through the 17 victims faster but if there's a personality clash, 3 healers sounds fine I guess

Yuma is gonna feel scammed af if we pay her for healing by sending her to school lol

On a similar vein, I'd like to contact our American IRC friends at some point today - there's a lot of news to discuss with them given everything that's happened since our last chat, and if we could arrange a trip with Yuki along to claim a base, then we could unlock North American fast travel and start spreading in more continents.

Let's see... From what I remember we need to schedule a meeting with the Tome group this week, we're going to Murasaki and Kagoshima on Tuesday, then we have trips to Hokkaido and Mandalay on Thursday. Nothing planned yet for Wednesday, Friday or the weekend.

I'm thinking we arrange a big trip across North America this weekend so Sayaka and Mami will be free from school? Or we could just delegate the whole thing to Yuki, I can see the argument for staying in Japan and putting in research time or setting up a trip to another country.

Last edited:
Should we tell Kyubey to open up brainmail for whoever wants to talk to us? He refused to let Sabrina talk to people she hasn't met ostensibly as part of a policy to stop magical girls from annoying each other, but if we say we're cool with receiving unsolicited brainmail, I think he'll allow that.

Since it seems others have covered our medium-term plans pretty comprehensively, the leader of the Iowa group. My question here is, how much do we want to play this by ear? Ultimately, we don't know what this talk is about, which to me suggests two choices: we either make some guess as to what she wants, and make a plan based on that, or we go in with a totally open mind and just see what happens.

I tend to prefer the latter approach, but that's a personal preference.

Last edited:
Should we tell Kyubey to open up brainmail for whoever wants to talk to us? He refused to let Sabrina talk to people she hasn't met ostensibly as part of a policy to stop magical girls from annoying each other, but if we say we're cool with receiving unsolicited brainmail, I think he'll allow that.
No he wouldn't, because that would let Sabrina HELP more magical girls in distressing situations in order to potentially resolve the conflict and or misery that Kyuubey feeds off of like a leech.
Kyuubey wants magical girls isolated or in small groups it can easily manipulate. Knowledge and personal connections are its antithesis, which is probably the biggest reason it spent so much time on Mami before Sabrina intervened, turning her greatest strength into its tool for recruitment and causing resentment.

Last edited:
No he wouldn't, because that would let Sabrina HELP more magical girls in distressing situations in order to potentially resolve the conflict and or misery that Kyuubey feeds off of like a leech.
Kyuubey want magical girls isolated or in small groups it can easily manipulate. Knowledge and personal connections are its antithesis, which is probably the biggest reason it spent so much time on Mami before Sabrina intervened, turning her greatest strength into its tool for recruitment and causing resentment.
Do we lose anything from asking? All it'd imply is that Sabrina wants to contact more magical girls, which Kyubey is already aware of from her attempts to contact more magical girls through him.

Do we lose anything from asking? All it'd imply is that Sabrina wants to contact more magical girls, which Kyubey is already aware of from her attempts to contact more magical girls through him.
We've already asked. Kyubey said no as part of the blanket no unsolicited brainmail policy, and will find a different excuse if we poke a hole in that policy somehow.

We've already asked. Kyubey said no as part of the blanket no unsolicited brainmail policy, and will find a different excuse if we poke a hole in that policy somehow.
Honestly, that's the best-case scenario. The worst case is that he creatively interprets our request as permission to start telepathically connecting us to Witches, which we know from experience isn't exactly fun.

Do we lose anything from asking?
Time, mostly. Talking is cheap, but it isn't a free action. And even in the best case scenario, Kyuubey is going to try and cause Sabrina misfortune, like @DataSnake said. Even aside from being connected to active Witches (I think that's purely on Sabrina's magic interfacing directly with Grief, not telepathy) being on call for every magical girl on the planet (maybe even from other planets in the Incubator system?) that wants free cleansing, 24/7 because of timezones and desperation....that's just a way to drive Sabrina into a depressive, spiral of anxiety and self-beratement, like a humanitarian scrolling through pictures of starving children on the internet every minute of the day. Not to mention how much it would interfere with all of Sabrina's relationships with Mami and her friends and allies.

While it's good in theory, you're basically asking for Sabrina to be an on-call emergency doctor for the entire planet. Delegation is going to be key for anything moving into dealing with over fifty-ish people, like with the Clear Seeds.

If Kyuubey properly understood human emotions, it would've started flooding Sabrina with magical girls begging for help as soon as it decided to tear her down.

Last edited:
If we want a telepathy network that's not dependent on Kyubey we pretty much need to set it up ourselves which then immediately runs into the second order problem of how to get other magical girls to use it. It either stays a tool you have to be told about which limits it to girls who have survived on their own long enough to become connected in the magical girl social scene or we figure out how to mass broadcast unsolicited telepathic messages to newly contracted magical girls which I can't imagine most people would be very happy about

In terms of actually setting such a network up Niko's various mad science experiments seem like a good lead but it would be really helpful if we knew a magical girl with telepathy as her primary power. It's actually fairly surprising that we haven't run into or even heard of any yet - you'd think reading minds would be a common wish. Then again that seems like a power that's useless fighting witches so maybe magical girls who get it usually die young. If we ask someone well-connected like Nadia or those girls running Tokyo we'll probably be able to turn someone up

Back