Not really. Math is truly universal and only requires basic logic as a prerequisite.
If the laws of physics change, our mathematical representations of them would change, but 1 + 1 would still be 2.

So it turns out the relationship between mathematics and physics is complicated.
My bad.

There is thus a possibility that the ancient dream of philosophers to connect all Nature with the properties of whole numbers will some day be realized. To do so physics will have to develop a long way to establish the details of how the correspondence is to be made. One hint for this development seems pretty obvious, namely, the study of whole numbers in modern mathematics is inextricably bound up with the theory of functions of a complex variable, which theory we have already seen has a good chance of forming the basis of the physics of the future. The working out of this idea would lead to a connection between atomic theory and cosmology.

The Relation between Mathematics and Physics - Paul Adrien Maurice Dirac (1939)

Would we? We are not exactly given exact measurement of...well anything. Hard to say for certain that any one exact detail is the same.
I'm not sure you're getting my point.

It wouldn't be something to "notice". Any one physical law is different to any meaningful degree and things literally do not work. Arrows don't fly, mercury isn't poison, and boats can't move. We wouldn't have been able to even predict any of our technologies. Nothing would be the same.

looks back at Age of Strife and Into the Amber Age

And those were setups that blatantly disregarded the rules from the get go. We operated under the assumption that we knew nothing.

*looks up*

Baby hippos!

This thread is heating up again. Have a dose of cute animals!

Last edited:

It wouldn't be something to "notice". Any one physical law is different to any meaningful degree and things literally do not work. Arrows don't fly, mercury isn't poison, and boats can't move. We wouldn't have been able to even predict any of our technologies. Nothing would be the same.
Many fantasy-worlds have magic in them and yet bows work.

Seems that your logic doesn't fit fictional universes.

Yes, but that's why I proposed a Great Wall (in blue) to deal with the Western borders that are exposed to the Steppes. Sure, we could secure that northeastern mountain pass ourselves and it wouldn't necessarily be that hard. But letting the TH guard it for us serves the same purpose and would give us time to prepare for a war if they get overrun. Besides, we already have a large underdefended border between the Txolla and the TH, but that's not as bad because the TH are not strong enough to be a real threat compared to nomad hordes.

Not specifically to you, @Timewinders, but one my real concerns here is that the TH may just diplomance a horde of Nomands and repeat our feat of just letting them through to the Lowlands. I can easily foresee a situation in the near future where TH with Nomad support are let loose on the Lowlands just in time to coincide with a major drought. That could go poorly for us, fast.

Not sure what we could, or more importantly should, even do about it, but the scenario has me very concerned.

Most fantasy worlds outright tell you whether or not they are magical. The probability of this universe having magic powerful enough to alter the orbits of planets yet have no noticeable effect on the events seen by the Thread is pretty slim.

The existence of magic doesn't automatically mean that there are now laws which govern the universe in its absence.
Funnily enough, magic also needs laws to govern it or it would just collapse everything into primordial chaos, so it ultimaty is still just a feature of the natural world that can be described and harnessed by math and igenuity. Which is usually what wizards and hermetic scholars use to get their powers.

Simple really, what is power X is no longer the Y of our world but a different force all together, Z.

Maybe what makes apples drop is not gravity, but an apple specific trait. Nobody knows.
And those were setups that blatantly disregarded the rules from the get go. We operated under the assumption that we knew nothing.
Most fantasy worlds outright tell you whether or not they are magical. The probability of this universe having magic powerful enough to alter the orbits of planets yet have no noticeable effect on the events seen by the Thread is pretty slim.
And Academia Nut is blatantly not saying it is one way or another.

Point is, yes, I do believe Academia Nut would do something like this simply for the giggles.

We're doing animal gifs now.
Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Last edited:
[X] No

I hate the HK enough to risk the god's wrath falling down on us.
Any emotional reason to smite the HK is equally valid for the TH.

Both are dicks.
Both backstabbed us repeatedly.
Both would kill and subjugate us given the chance.

Hating one and not the other is inherently illogical and experience shows that hate-boners make poor advisors.

There are perfectly reasonable and logical reasons to subjugate the HK and not the TH and those serve us much better.

Last edited:
Im still amused no one has mentioned the possibility that we're in a sci fi setting and the orbital bodies that the predication uses are artificial.

Im still amused no one has mentioned the possibility that we're in a sci fi setting and the orbital bodies that the predication uses are artificial.
"Let's use our advanced sociological knowledge to predict future events and then orbit our space stations in ways that convey mathematical representations of our predictions."

I did state to exclude magic, and magic is usually on top of the extant physical laws, not a replacement. Maybe you should actually get an argument instead of making random parallels.

The start of this debate was about what update someone heard about the laws of physics in. I stated that we could, like everything else we have dealt with, assume it ran on the same basic principles as we do IRL. So magic only was in this because people have been throwing the word around, not because it is an actual fixture in this debate.

I'm pretty sure we have excluded magic for the majority of this quest. The only reason it's back is people are jumping on astrology like flies on shit. Even still, a lot of the people voting for astrology aren't voting for it for "magic" reasons. They are voting for it because they have a very valid opinion that it will actually LoW test harder, or that it will lead to more advanced mathematics.

Back