@Academia Nut

When we first got the palace, you gave us a list of annexes our clerks thought would be good to have.

Has the list changed with new techs or is it still broadly valid?

I think the only thing we are missing would be the Gardens.

Stupid thought, but given the interaction between Governor Palaces and Annexes, would it be possible that palace walls increase the walling rate of our settlements?

I want to talk about our current infrastructure backlog.

Right now, we have the following infrastructure "pending":
  • Lvl2 Redshore Baths (3/6, in progress, wanted by "Community Health Focus" & Redshore)
  • Redshore Marketplace (0/6, wanted by Urban Poor & Redshore)
  • Valleyguard Baths (0/3, wanted by "Community Health Focus" & Valleyguard)
  • Great Hall Annexes (?/?, wanted by Patricians)
  • Lvl2 Temple (0/6, wanted by Priests)
  • Other Marketplaces & Academies (???)
We currently get ONE point of infrastructure progress per turn. Three if you assume Redshore helps build its own infrastructure.

Are people going to complain if I say that we need our Infrastructure Policies back?

Awesome Map

If we go exploring more and also stop redrawing geopolitical boundaries so much, I'll draw a better map with funnier jokes.

Credit to @Concho117 for the hard work behind this map and @ManusDomine for locking the thread long enough to bore me into making the decorative border.

• Lvl2 Redshore Baths (3/6, in progress, wanted by "Community Health Focus" & Redshore)
We currently get ONE point of infrastructure progress per turn. Three if you assume Redshore helps build its own infrastructure.

Are people going to complain if I say that we need our Infrastructure Policies back?

No.

My first inclination is to let the quest fail, but I wonder if perhaps a Tech refund or another solution to the fact that now almost all of our actions costs Tech will be gated behind Ironworks Lv 3.
I'm sure that a lvl 3 ironworks would be very useful. But I'm not eager to build a lvl 3 city (lvl 2 blockhousing, lvl 3 aqueduct, lvl 3 baths) just yet. We have too many other fires on our plate, and too much other infrastructure we want to build (academies, annexes, aqueducts, baths, marketplaces, colossal walls). If it had a decent reward I might be willing to prioritize it, but it is far too expensive to do on its own.

Last edited:
My first inclination is to let the quest fail, but I wonder if perhaps a Tech refund or another solution to the fact that now almost all of our actions costs Tech will be gated behind Ironworks Lv 3.
Thus far, Ironworks has increased our econ gains at the cost of tech. I see no reason for this trend to not continue should we build a more extensive Ironworks.

Yeah, especially since it's so incredibly expensive to do those projects manually. It's half a golden age innovation for each one.

The only reason we did the temple/observatory was because we feared the new religion would prevent them from being built and the Ironworks was because we figured getting a megaproject immediately was worth the expense since they might've gone for the markets instead.

Once we get a couple cities back online, I want at least 7 progress/turn, and 9 is preferred. 11 might be getting a bit much and 13 is definitely too much, but 7 is just barely enough to keep everything running at the rate that we're gaining new projects.

It depends.

If we regain contacts with other civs before our cities come back online, I'm going to advocate for Diplomacy and Intrigue over more infrastructure.
If no one else is able to communicate with us, I would still prefer Vassal Support over infrastructure.

But if neither of those things pan out at the time, Infrastructure doesn't seem like a bad option.

The expanded great hall will act as a cultural cornerstone for the community so throwing a large festival for everyone as its completed is the effect I'm aiming for.

EDIT: A couple of historical examples wpuld be the Potala Palace which had a massive great hall to host various parties and festivals. The Palace of Versailles where the Sun King used it for prestige and diplomacy to centralize his political power.
Hmm, I think with the patrician quest, it would be an exclusive event, while the annual festival is meant for more or less everyone across our empire. I suppose it might increase cultural cohesion between the patricians and everyone else if we did it consistently, though?

In the light of the increasing expense of new and critical infrastructure, I am willing to do 7 infrastructure.

I am not willing to do 9 or 11 because that mean we will be neglecting other important issues to our polity.

We need to eventually select important policies like skullduggery and diplomacy on and we need to ramp up forestry in anticipation of the demand.

@Academia Nut You said that our forests are on a path to drop branches like crazy way back with our first war with the Highland Kingdom. How much progress did our forests make?

Everything is a headache.
I think this reduction is problematic.

Now, it is true that we always have a headache. Last turn it was the Plague and Nomad Invasion. Before that it was the SS and Liquidity Crises. Before that it was dealing with the Trelli. And so on; most of our time is spent jumping from crisis to crisis, with only short breaks in between.

HOWEVER. That is not to say that everything contributes to this headache. Some things reliably spawn headaches, with wide borders, high administrative strain, rapidly increasing technology among them. Other things don't. Saying that "everything is a headache" is missing the distinction.

Hmm, I think with the patrician quest, it would be an exclusive event, while the annual festival is meant for more or less everyone across our empire. I suppose it might increase cultural cohesion between the patricians and everyone else if we did it consistently, though?
Yeah hence why I wanted to do both at the same time. However the next level will act as a Forum but the higher level great hall would be large enough to involve the community.

It depends.

If we regain contacts with other civs before our cities come back online, I'm going to advocate for Diplomacy and Intrigue over more infrastructure.
If no one else is able to communicate with us, I would still prefer Vassal Support over infrastructure.

But if neither of those things pan out at the time, Infrastructure doesn't seem like a bad option.
We do have 1 Vassal Support policy up, but a second would be extraordinarily nice, yes.
Getting our Diplo and Intrigue Policies back would also be rather nice.

So... yeah. Not sure what we can spare there.
Maybe since we have Invested actions (hopefully) on the way, we can drop our Forestry Passive Policies?

Suspicion level on western subsidiary states rising. =_= But what actions can we take to get they closer to us?

We do have 1 Vassal Support policy up, but a second would be extraordinarily nice, yes.

Maybe since we have Invested actions (hopefully) on the way, we can drop our Forestry Passive Policies?
I am 100% on board with that. I think the difference between constantly expanding forests with passive policy vs actual actions is going to be night and day, and I really wish we didn't have to put expanding them on passive policy, but it's the only way we're going to get them grown reliably.

Suspicion level on western subsidiary states rising. =_= But what actions can we take to get they closer to us?
Build our navy/sailing expeditions (Tinriver, Greenshore, Western Wall). Build roads/raise cavalry (Amber Road, Western Wall). Build northern trading post (Amber Road). Build Trelli trading post (Tinriver, Greenshore). Cure the plague (all).

It would be nice to drop Forestry for a Expand Forest Invested Action, but I still don't want to put up too many infrastructure policies.
they usually don't build super useful things that let them stay at their level, like Governor Palaces or Salterns, and instead seek to constantly expand through more aqueducts and baths.

Too much infrastructure passives = rampant city spamming = low cent threshold, which is pretty bad for us.

It depends.

The problem with this is that not assigning Infrastructure doesn't stop it from getting chosen. Our Free Cities just use their inefficient version to work on projects instead, as Redshore has shown.

Because of this, I'd activate at least two Infrastructure before Diplo, Vassal or Skull and let our Free Cities fill out the missing bits.

We should definitely try to contact our (former?) subordinates but I remain of the opinion that a secession wouldn't be the end of the world, as they are after still of the People, regardless of political affiliations.

It would be nice to drop Forestry for a Expand Forest Invested Action, but I still don't want to put up too many infrastructure policies.
they usually don't build super useful things that let them stay at their level, like Governor Palaces or Salterns, and instead seek to constantly expand through more aqueducts and baths.

Too much infrastructure passives = rampant city spamming = low cent threshold, which is pretty bad for us.
I'm not pushing for "too much infrastructure passives"; 5-7 progress a turn is plenty. We don't have the policy slots for more than that, anyways.

The problem with this is that not assigning Infrastructure doesn't stop it from getting chosen. Our Free Cities just use their inefficient version to work on projects instead, as Redshore has shown.

Because of this, I'd activate at least two Infrastructure before Diplo, Vassal or Skull and let our Free Cities fill out the missing bits.
I have no problem letting Free Cities work on infrastructure, since if they want infrastructure they will work on it anyways.
I don't particularly care if activating other policies first is inefficient, since I value Diplomacy and Intrigue over infrastructure right now.

Intrigue has already shown itself useful since we unlocked it, and Diplomacy will be nice when we reconnect with our neighbors.
Infrastructure will happen eventually, and there's no reason to constantly rush for it.

We should definitely try to contact our (former?) subordinates but I remain of the opinion that a secession wouldn't be the end of the world, as they are after still of the People, regardless of political affiliations.

Unless they become like the slave-trading Western Ymaryn.

Back