Forcible temporary relocation, specifically for the duration of a natural disaster and with the intent to minimize the number of resultant deaths, almost certainly doesn't qualify as genocide... but deliberately causing the disaster in question is probably still some sort of war crime.

Y'all notice the 25XP for a 10 day plan? That hurts. I think we need to mix lighthousing up, and I know EJ said that just writing lighthousing is getting harder and harder. I appreciate that current plans are trying to address it somewhat. I just want to provide an alternative.

CCnJ: I've personally been enjoying the lighthousing updates, but the mass amount of prep days honestly have been burning me out, because it seems like there's so much cool stuff that we could be researching, but we aren't, and I wish we were. And if not, at least doing things to help us get to being able to do a bunch of research together, like leaning harder into FOOM, or reading notes more. We're making the QMs think through all these ideas we're spamming but may never research. I really think we need to change tactics here. The new THing rules really seem to prevent that sort of strategy, which I take as a soft indication that they don't want this sort of thing happening with THing. And honestly, I would personally enjoy reading a fighting scene, seeing the new rocket boots in action, and just doing some of the exploring that was so much more common early on. In character, lighthousing as long as we can makes sense, but both my OOC motives, and the mechanics (representing how actual people work and burn out), say we should mix it up a bit. So that's my motivation here, despite not having the creative spoons, and the timing being not ideal, with Kei now actually needing to be on the 7th path. But, I delayed making an action plan last cycle, and regret it, so here we go. /CCnJ

Folks who want to see a couple chapters (and relatively little in universe time) of fighting, hit me up for your preferences. I have some time for plan updating, but very little creative juice this cycle. Though I'll do my best. The current template is, like, 50% meme joke, 25% me wanting us to get into a combat that isn't "just do a combat to do a combat", and 25% wanting to give cool plot hooks. Please, someone else take up the banner for a cool, punchy update. We need the unstagnation, and the break from lighthousing.

Apropos of nothing...
HDK. Whirlpool disappeared long before he was born, and he may never have seen a map old enough to feature it (not that MfDverse maps, especially older ones, are worth much when it comes to gauging distances in foreign territory).

Relatedly, a question for you: I vaguely recall there being conflicting reports regarding Whirling Tides' location. Do you have the quotes for that? A hypothetical "Hazou finds and explores the former site of Whirling Tides" arc sounds like it could be fun to me, and not just because it could mean more fights with sealing failure abominations.
In the south part of Aisu Bay, east of that jutting-out peninsula in Earth Country.

[X] Action plan: Sealing Fieldtrip and Punching ThingsTM
Word Count: tbd, < 300
  • Wrap up at current research facility, plan to set out to new location in the south part of Aisu Bay, east of that jutting-out peninsula in Earth Country.
  • Explore terrain on arrival, setting up for protection camp and time dialation.
  • ??? (We trust Eaglejarl)
  • Stumble into combat with sealing monstrosities, fighting them with new sealing loadout.
  • Profit (learn about the nature of sealing and Whirlpool).
  • If no cool combat is stumbled upon, research Force Blades and CATEARS to finish them (2 day prep, SSA). 4 clone blocks reading sealing notes, 4 clone blocks reading TH notes, rest FOOMing as available during and on rest days.
Other prompts are raiding Jashin temples (though I'm concerned that will draw Hidan's notice), or fighting leopards (though at that point, the plan is just "Sir Stompy's, but worse" tbh).

Last edited:
You're right, my mistake- I misremembered the fifth one as a prohibition against forced relocation. But yes, I checked just now and forced relocation is still a crime against humanity that the ICC punishes. My apologies for bringing up genocide in error but the crime against humanity bit isn't much better, I'd rather avoid that for a variety of reasons if possible.

oh no pls don't do the genocide debate again
Unfortunately, as long as people suggest doing things that we would have to deal with the consequences of, said consequences will have to be considered. Fwiw I was mistaken to bring up genocide specifically.

oh no pls don't do the genocide debate again
Again?

*looks back through the thread*

Oh. I vaguely remembered something like that happening, but it had mostly slipped my mind or I would have reached out privately. Sorry for pressing on a sore spot.

You're right, my mistake- I misremembered the fifth one as a prohibition against forced relocation. But yes, I checked just now and forced relocation is still a crime against humanity that the ICC punishes. My apologies for bringing up genocide in error but the crime against humanity bit isn't much better, I'd rather avoid that for a variety of reasons if possible.
Sure. I'm not trying to argue that forced relocation is not still bad, I just like precision!

Problem is CO2 is denser than the other main components of the atmosphere, so it'll tend to stay low. That vertical kilometer doesn't help much after the two or three meters closest to ground level become unsafe to breathe. I think that brings the expected survival time down from decades to single-digit months.
That's fine, single-digit months is plenty of time to kill Deidara or come up with a better air solution or whatever.
@strange_person @DanZapman thanks for running the numbers.

Can I interest either of you in voting for the plan?
AGH, I got the math half-right the first time and then got it even more wrong the second time because I accidentally used the formula for surface area instead of volume... only the second time, after I redid the math to make sure I got it right.

Right, just ignore that entire last post and pretend it's only this one:

Air usage per person, per day: 9-24 cubic meters, lets assume 16.
Air dome size: 1 kilometer diameter max, 500 meter radius, approximate half sphere. The lower half of sphere is ground so it has no useful air, and we'll ignore uneven terrain and buildings taking up a tiny bit of volume.
Approximate population inside a air dome: Dunno, lets go with 10,000 people.

Interior area of the dome: (500m)^3 * (4pi/3) / 2 = 125,000,000m^3 * 4pi/6 (~2.1) = 261,799,388 m^3
Air used per day: 16m^3 * 10,000 people = 160,000 m^3 a day
Total time that the air will last: 1,570,795 m^3 / 160,000 m^3 per day = 1,636 days or about 4.5 years.
4.5 years, not bad. That is plenty of time for whatever. We could just make a air-refreshing rune if nothing else during this, or a rune that filters out the CO2.

Now hold on, as mentioned we might not get good mixing. What if it's only the three meters closest to the ground and there's no circulation with the rest?
Interior area of approximate 3m tall cylinder at ground level: (500m)^2 * 3m * pi = 750,000m^3 * pi = 2,356,194 m^3
Air used per day: 16m^3 * 10,000 people = 160,000 m^3 a day
Total time that air will last: 2,356,194m^3 / 160,000m^3 per day = 15 days
Only 15 days. Not ideal, no. However this is with the assumption of worst-case with no air mixing and a extremely high population in the dome.

10k people in a quarter of a square kilometer is a lot. It would place Leaf in second place for the list of highest population density cities. And this is without modern skyscrapers or anything. What if we go more conservative, and say 2k people?

Well, we get a figure of entirely long enough for the best case scenario with good atmospheric mixing, and 75 days for the worst case of no mixing.

@eaglejarl @Paperclipped @Velorien how many hours per calendar day did Hazō spend under time dilation? 15? 21? All 24?
@eaglejarl @Velorien @Paperclipped
Hazō spent 15 hours per calendar day under dilation last update, but since we intended to spend as much time under dilation as possible this update and the chapter shows he was actually sleeping in it, I'm just going to enter "24" as a placeholder number. Let me know if something else would be more accurate!

I think you've misunderstood the paper you cite a bit. Having read through the first bits of that paper, the 9-24 m^3 figure is the volume of air a human breathes in per day, not the amount of air they use up per day.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8672270/ said:
At complete rest at sea level, a single human consumes approximately 8.6 m3​ of air per day of which 5% is exhaled as metabolic CO2​, producing approximately 785 gm of CO2​. According to the U.S. EPA's Exposure Factors Handbook (EPA 2011), an adult male of normal weight with moderate activity for 16 hours and rest for 8 hours consumes ~22.8 m3​ of air per day with 99th​ percentile of 23.7 m3​. For calculations, this is generally rounded to 24 m3​ or 1 m3​ per hour as the default assumption and equates to an exhalation of approximately 2.2 kg of CO2​ per day.
I don't know why they've chosen to use gm instead of g to refer to grams, but maybe it's a field-specific thing. Anyway, this changes your calculations a bit:

Humans inhale about 8.6-24 m^3 of air per day. Exhaled air is about 5% CO2​ so this is 0.43-1.2 m^3 of CO2​ per day. (Oxygen consumption won't be relevant till long after carbon dioxide production has killed everyone, so we won't be looking at it here.)

Let's say we have a production rate of k*n + c cubic metres per day, where k is rate per person per day, n is number of people and c is net production/consumption from other sources.

The level of CO2​ that causes symptoms is cited as 1000 ppm, but there's a long way from symptoms to symptoms severe enough to be worse than being blown up by Deidara. Let's say l is the threshold level (expressed as a fraction of the air and hence assuming no changes in pressure), and v is the volume of air we're dealing with. Then the time to the threshold is:
LaTeX:
\[ \frac{v \cdot l}{k*n + c} \]
The full volume of the hemispherical air dome is:
LaTeX:
\[ \frac{2\pi}{3} \cdot r^3 \]
Plugging in the numbers, we get that the time to the 1000ppm threshold for a 500m radius air dome with atmospheric mixing, containing 2000 people with an oxygen consumption rate of 20 m^3/person/day carbon dioxide production rate of 1 m^3/person/day (to go on the high end), and with no other consumption or production, is:
LaTeX:
\[ \frac{\frac{2\pi}{3} \cdot 500^3 \cdot 0.001}{1*2000 + 0} = 130 \text{ days (2 s.f.)} \]
This is not particularly long, and without mixing it would be much worse (although I think as long as the air dome conducts heat there would be some convection). It gets a lot less bad if you allow the threshold to be 20,000, which is still sub-lethal - in that case it's about 130 days - but if there doesn't turn out to be decent mixing, or if you add in fires to your consideration, that time limit will probably go down again.

Edit: Also, it'll actually be less than that, because there will already be probably-about-300 ppm of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. So it'll be more like 4.6 days for the 1000ppm time.

Edit 2: As it turns out, my correction was also wrong, because I unthinkingly typed in air inhalation as the value for carbon dioxide production. Assuming I've got it right this time, it comes out as 130 days for the 1000 ppm threshhold, or ~2600 days for the 20,000 ppm threshold; comfortably enough time in either case. Without mixing, however (using the 3-metres-off-the ground figure) it comes out as 1.2 days for 1000 ppm, and so ~24 days for the 20,000 ppm threshold.

Last edited:
@eaglejarl @Velorien @Paperclipped

What did the Toad Sages say about the difficult of the second project? Was it about as difficult as the Jutsu we ended up doing? Substantially more?
They didn't provide any analysis. They just listened to the proposals, picked the one that sounded "least likely to have Noburi whine at us because you messed up and melted your chakra coils", and then went off to lunch.

EJ: *Akatsuki pops up unexpectedly*

HAZOU: "Hidan! Buddy! Thank Jashin you're here; I've been itching to go kill something. Let's go out hunting!"

HIDAN: "Ok!"
HIDAN: That's my boy. Now, I hear you've been doing weapons research, so pick the most destructive thing you've got, and let's go!

HAZŌ: [gazes at island littered with runes of apocalyptic devastation]

HIDAN: Can't decide? Let's let Lord Jashin pick.

Would you like to roll a new setting?

The minimum diameter's 60 meters/3 zones so we may have to take that into account. A fume storage rune might be preferred, a la macerators. Build a big fire, load it up with smoke, and then...

I think you've misunderstood the paper you cite a bit. Having read through the first bits of that paper, the 9-24 m^3 figure is the volume of air a human breathes in per day, not the amount of air they use up per day.
Oh, whoops. I did make a mistake but it wasn't quite that. I read that part and realized that that was just total breath volume, and that it would only be useful for a pessimistic scenario where you don't want the air to be re-breathed more than once. And that in actuality you could go longer.

But then I forgot that part, and while making the proper post with both pessimistic and optimistic calculations I forgot to stop being pessimistic about that one part.

My bad.

edit: Hmm. You raise a really good point though. I didn't realize at all that the CO2 concentration in exhaled breath is so high that the amount of safe 're-breathes' is less than one. Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited:
Finally, he has cajoled certain limited information about the abilities of the Sharingan out of Sasuke: As far as Sasuke is aware, the Sharingan is doing "true" precognition, instead of making predictions based on what Sasuke knows. In practice, its useful predictions are usually within three seconds or less. It can theoretically see farther – perhaps half a minute – but predictions beyond a few seconds quickly become so hazy as to be mostly useless. It can be sustained for a long time – minutes easily, but hours will start substantially digging into one's chakra reserves, and it can be activated and deactivated near instantaneously.
Alright, so I've been thinking about this. Here's the question: does the future sight let him see his future perceptions, or the future of what he's looking at? That is, suppose that:
  • At T = 0, he's looking at some area A.
  • At T = 15, he turns 180 degrees and starts looking at the area B.
  • At T = 30, he closes his eyes.
If he has his future sight active at T = 0, does he see the state of A at T ∈ [0;30], or does he see the state of A at T ∈ [0;15] plus the state of B at T ∈ (15;30]?

Another angle: if someone casts a genjutsu on Itachi while Itachi is running future-sight, does Itachi get future visions of the genjutsu, or does he see what the genjutsu-caster would be doing in reality while the genjutsu is active? Does the future-sight predict Itachi's future perceptions, or the ground-truth future of the objects in Itachi's current field of vision?

Either possibility has its loopholes. But the bigger one is if he sees the future of the spatial volume he's looking at: then we can circumvent his future-sight by e. g. discontinuously teleporting him into an ambush. Maybe a rune could do that. (E. g., a space-pocket variant which grabs you, dumps you into the pocket, then sets off a TN400 explosive in there.) And I'm getting the vague impression that it's the variant the Uchiha actually have, going off the way Sasuke phrased things here (the focus on clouds-of-possibilities around objects, not future perceptions; i. e., the future PoV is "centered" on objects!).

I suggest we ask Noburi to ask Naruto to ask Sasuke about this detail (maybe by running the genjutsu experiment). @Sir Stompy?

Last edited:
Alright, so I've been thinking about this. Here's the question: does the future sight let him see his future perceptions, or the future of what he's looking at? That is, suppose that:
  • At T = 0, he's looking at some area A.
  • At T = 15, he turns 180 degrees and starts looking at the area B.
  • At T = 30, he closes his eyes.
If he has his future sight active at T = 0, does he see the state of A at T ∈ [0;30], or does he see the state of A at T ∈ [0;15] plus the state of B at T ∈ (15;30]?

Another angle: if someone casts a genjutsu on Itachi while Itachi is running future-sight, does Itachi get future visions of the genjutsu, or does he see what the genjutsu-caster would be doing in reality while the genjutsu is active? Does the future-sight predict Itachi's future perceptions, or the ground-truth future of the objects in Itachi's current field of vision?

Either possibility has its loopholes. But the bigger one is if he sees the future of the spatial volume he's looking at: then we can circumvent his future-sight by e. g. discontinuously teleporting him into an ambush. Maybe a rune could do that. (E. g., a space-pocket variant which grabs you, dumps you into the pocket, then sets off a TN400 explosive in there.)

I suggest we ask Noburi to ask Naruto to ask Sasuke about this detail (maybe by running the genjutsu experiment). @Sir Stompy?
Also, have Naruto check whether turning on the Sharingan is enough to activate Chakdar. That's a passive observation system that we can turn into a trigger.

Back