"They have so many things in their libraries, so many things that they cannot possibly keep proper care of them! What do these ignorant, backwards people know of proper document conservation, anyways?"

"Who knows what other revelations that might shake up the status-quo of our nation might slumber in their libraries? We must take it, all of it, and make sure that the only further revelations are ones we control."

"Yeah they're scholars of religion, so it's going to be much easier to integrate them into our empire because we won't have to convert all of these backwards yokels."

Take your pick from possible reactions.

European colonialism is not friend-shaped unless you are the one doing the colonizing.
Thanks I just threw up in my mouth a little. We gotta make sure we resist that bullshit.
I also felt we're missing out on an epic quest by skipping all the way to the modern era
to be fair, at 178 threadmarks and 250k words, it was already a pretty epic quest

Last edited:
Given that the Ymaryn core and center of government never actually fell, one could argue that while the Ymaryn empire fell apart the Ymaryn as a state never actually ceased existing.
One could, and I think we will, but it's largely meaningless. So much of the actual central government and bureaucracy died, what little remained in the core was more like a city councils and had a very thin claim to the legitimacy and continuation.

Last edited:
Maybe, but given that the core held most of our libraries and temples as well as our administrative buildings and records I'd argue that the most important bits were preserved.

Sending mercenaries is the norm. Its literally what they are for, to be deployed to fight for pay.

Its more about a move to displace their native warmaking, intellectual and cultural capabilities for them, so it's moving towards an eventual cultural assimilation. Which is used because they're too far away to hold without straining our administration

But bringing in heretics and then sending them back with mercenaries isn't the norm, and remember that it's not always that our actions are viewed accurately. With the extended support option winning it's not going to be just a few companies involverade.
It might also be counter productive for the religius reformers. The mercenaries will mostly be Ymarian in etnicity and equipment, this will allow the conservatives to use propaganda to paint the reformists as Ymarian puppets.
In conclusion it is not about what is actually happening, but rather what image the rest of the world will see.

Also i believe we only have mercs now, so they might well be viewed as our standing army.

Honestly we want the reformers to make enemies of their own people it makes them more dependent on us and prevents them from winning to easily which is convenient since it keeps Europe distracted.

Maybe, but given that the core held most of our libraries and temples as well as our administrative buildings and records I'd argue that the most important bits were preserved.
Preserved, perhaps, but not really used. It's not exactly the most compelling case for continuation, since it would be DC council claiming central authority after the federal and most of the state governments died.
@Academia Nut Is the Stone Age Cannal still a known thing? Or do people think the unnaturally straight and uniform and convenient waterway is natural?
We thought it was natural back before the timeskip.

@Academia Nut Is the Stone Age Cannal still a known thing? Or do people think the unnaturally straight and uniform and convenient waterway is natural?

We thought it was natural back before the timeskip
To wit
Like, the first proposals might have come in the time when the gods dragged their trowel through the earth to make the Valleysnake

Honestly we want the reformers to make enemies of their own people it makes them more dependent on us and prevents them from winning to easily which is convenient since it keeps Europe distracted.

Not if it unifies them against the threat from the East, as long as it's a local movement they will see it as less threatening even if they have foreign education and weapons.

If they bring in a large group of Ymarian soldiers that will change.

Maybe but a religious schism is a sufficiently motivating reason for war that people are unlikely to focus on other issues while it's happening.

[X] [Involvement] Offer extended support (1x)

[X] [Form] Offer safe haven to the persecuted (1.2x)
[X] [Form] Offer mercenary services to your preferred sides (1.5x)

[X] [Debate] Offer theological and rhetorical training to preferred sides (1.2x)

False, we've broken through into a sub cavern and are going to spend the rest of eternity blindly scrabbling for the light until when we do find it, it's naught but blinding and the people up above look like nothing so much as food.

Reminds me of a thought I had right after the Not!Mongol update - what if that had pissed Ymaryn so much that the restoration ended up being led by the darkest possible elements, creating a state with all the Ymaryn's knowledge but none of their morality? Imagine Ymaryn armies being preceded by squads of Demon Herders and Landrazers. The former's job would be to keep the pox, the Horseman's plague, and cholera alive in human captives the way the priests kept it alive in the sacred herd, and then find ways to unleash them all at the enemies at once. The latter would cart around great caravans of unclean materials and plenty of men with shovels and hammers, so they could destroy the enemy's land, redirecting rivers to flood and dry out farmland, then poisoning it so that nothing would ever grow again.

That would be more the scenario you describe. Right now we're doing okay.

I have to wonder, just how pissed off are the Negaverse players right now? They think they've won, ripping the Ymaryn apart, but then the Renaissance comes and they realize they are so fucked.

The negaverse Khan? Yeah, I imagine that when you're playing as the Mongols at the height of their power you do not expect to be the one getting buried in enemy bodies.

I'd be willing to write the alt!update if someone else can write the salt in the alt!thread. I've never been good at that part.

One could, and I think we will, but it's largely meaningless. So much of the actual central government and bureaucracy died, what little remained in the core was more like a city councils and had a very thin claim to the legitimacy and continuation.

Governments all over Europe (and to some extent America too) scrabbled over the thinnest claim to being the continuation of Rome. The Old, Middle, and New Kingdoms of Egypt are blurred in everyone's minds. The fact that our greatest and most ancient cities, including our capital, were never destroyed or held by anyone else grants us an incredible claim to continuity. Sure, we'll never be able to deny that things got really bad for a while, but we can very plausibly claim to still be the same Ymaryn.

Damn shame.

I suppose we could regain that with archeology?

Getting some graduate student the best thesis ever is the one thing that makes it all worth it.

Imagine being the student who figures out that, the strange river right through the center of the oldest civilization in the world is actually an unbelievably ancient wonder of the world.

[X] [Involvement] Offer limited support (1x)
[X] [Debate] Offer theological and rhetorical training to preferred sides (1.2x)

[X] [Debate] Get more copies of your versions of texts in there (1.2x)

[X] [Form] Offer mercenary services to your preferred sides (1.5x)
[X] [Debate] Get more copies of your versions of texts in there (1.2x)

Governments all over Europe (and to some extent America too) scrabbled over the thinnest claim to being the continuation of Rome. The Old, Middle, and New Kingdoms of Egypt are blurred in everyone's minds. The fact that our greatest and most ancient cities, including our capital, were never destroyed or held by anyone else grants us an incredible claim to continuity. Sure, we'll never be able to deny that things got really bad for a while, but we can very plausibly claim to still be the same Ymaryn.
Sure, we can very plausibly claim it, but it is, in fact, DC and New York councils claiming to be the same thing as the US federal government. No one will care after a few hundred years, especially if we manage to reclaim our borders, but realistically it's very much not the same thing. Still far better than Charlemagne's empire being Rome, for example, but not the same thing.

Back