I'm pretty sure that part of the Dam megaproject would be reworking whatever damage is done to the Gardens. Sure, it would require extra econ, but of all civs we can afford the econ.

And that extra stability for gardens won't stay there forever.

What? No. There will be no extra bullshit. It just means we'll miss out on this bonus Stability and our Megaproject Support will be split in its attention.
How will we miss out on stability?

We start the Garden now -> +1 Stability, we are at 3 Stability next turn(yum)

Next turn we do this:

Main Garden
Secondary The Damn Dam
Secondary The Damn Dam x2

Provinces do province things. We probably won't finish either.

Too risky. If we do that neither is guaranteed to finish next turn (we don't know which the provinces will work on). The turn after that, all of our actions will be locked and we'll be running out of econ so we won't get any support from our provinces. If someone attacks us at that time we wouldn't have any way to respond.
I know. Just a crazy stupid suggestion.

Too risky. If we do that neither is guaranteed to finish next turn (we don't know which the provinces will work on). The turn after that, all of our actions will be locked and we'll be running out of econ so we won't get any support from our provinces. If someone attacks us at that time we wouldn't have any way to respond.
We literally just got a legacy that let us increase the cost to decrease the rate, presumably at a x2 /2 measure. Which means that The Garden will take 1.5 turns and The Dam will take 2 turns, r.e. the bottom numbers. So we can definitely finish them in a single turn by having a main action and a province main dedicated to each. Meanwhile, this might give us yet another legacy trait for being so brave.

And also, we'd have more carrion eaters to send to the DP's city.

Where exactly do the People plan to construct the Great Dam, by the way? I'd gotten it into my head that it was supposed to be in/near the badlands, in order to help make the badlands less dry and inhospitable, but i realized i'm not really sure on that front, or exactly what beyond "control the flood waters more" the people plan to do with it; i'd been under the impression that dams usually made lakes, but googling suggests that that impression was wrong?

There's currently two locations in Valleyhome: above Upper Valleyhome and below Lower Valleyhome. The first will have the lagoon be in the perfect place to serve as a reservoir for the entire region, but if it lets go then your most densely populated and heavily cultivated region gets swept away. Below Lower Valleyhome will flood some of the places where people are living and farming and you can't as easily turn spillways into aqueducts, but the reservoir can be more easily utilized for fishing or other aquaculture systems, and if the dam breaks it empties into the badlands. There was also the possibility of building the dam at the end of the badlands, but you failed to settle the area so that opportunity was lost.

Was originally going to have the exact site be a midterm question, but now I will probably make the decision part of the initial voting just in case you super accelerate everything.

are we allowed to try to do the Dam megaproject in a doubled secondary action?

Yes, as that is a single main.

There's currently two locations in Valleyhome: above Upper Valleyhome and below Lower Valleyhome. The first will have the lagoon be in the perfect place to serve as a reservoir for the entire region, but if it lets go then your most densely populated and heavily cultivated region gets swept away. Below Lower Valleyhome will flood some of the places where people are living and farming and you can't as easily turn spillways into aqueducts, but the reservoir can be more easily utilized for fishing or other aquaculture systems, and if the dam breaks it empties into the badlands. There was also the possibility of building the dam at the end of the badlands, but you failed to settle the area so that opportunity was lost.

Was originally going to have the exact site be a midterm question, but now I will probably make the decision part of the initial voting just in case you super accelerate everything.

If we invade diplomance the badlands can we make yet another dam there? Actually, can we make multiple dams?

If we invade diplomance the badlands can we make yet another dam there? Actually, can we make multiple dams?

The badlands are already part of your territory, but yes, if you invaded the Highlands Kingdom for the territory just beyond the badlands you could build a dam in that location. You can make multiple dams, although you should probably only have one per river for the sake of safety.

We literally just got a legacy that let us increase the cost to decrease the rate, presumably at a x2 /2 measure. Which means that The Garden will take 1.5 turns and The Dam will take 2 turns, r.e. the bottom numbers. So we can definitely finish them in a single turn by having a main action and a province main dedicated to each. Meanwhile, this might give us yet another legacy trait for being so brave.

And also, we'd have more carrion eaters to send to the DP's city.
Rush Builders: Extended projects cost more per turn but complete faster

Extended projects only, not mega projects.

I'm not really sold on the Dam. It's a decent edge against a super-drought, but we've already got a pretty big edge on that just with our various food preservation techniques and access to coastline and things like salted fish. We're also really damn good at irrigation already, I'd expect if a flood or super-drought did hit we'd have a chance to help save ourselves even without a megaproject.

Notions of using the Dam as a weapon are just kinda silly and impractical at best.

@Academia Nut could you tell us what our advisors think the benefits of a Dam would be?

Last edited:
Extended Projects are not the same as Megaprojects. (Right now we have the Extended Project: Expand Salterns)

The legacy only applies to Extended Projects.

Extended projects only, not mega projects.

Ahhh, I was treating the extended in "Rush Builders: Extended projects..." as being an adjectival modifier because the Projects wasn't capitalized in order to make the two words a compound proper noun and the capital E is appropriate due to its placement after the colon. Kk.

Vote Tally : Paths of Civilization | Page 1160 | Sufficient Velocity
##### NetTally 1.7.4

[22] Begin work on the Garden (-1 Econ, +1 Stability, starts megaproject)
[20] Xohyssiri
[15] Expand Carrion Eaters (-1 Econ, -1 Mysticism, +1 Martial, many more Carrion Eaters, additional effects)
[11] Highland Kingdom
[9] Metal Workers
[2] Study Stars (continues chain) + Survey Lands
[1] Thunder Horse

Total No. of Voters: 41

So there is a risk that a dam could break during the construction phrase or after completion? It is an ambitious project. Maybe we should take it slow with the dam megaproject? Any civil engineer here?

What is population density like anyway? I realize that for a copper age civilization we're basically as urban as you can get in some places but given that we've broken 100,000 people and it only takes a week or two to cross all our territory IIRC I have to wonder how dense things are getting.

A dam is probably necessary for a proper aqueduct or water power system at the very least. And we're close in tech to each of those. Personally, I'm strongly inclined to do the dam before or at the same time as the garden, since it will allow us to have controlled year round flow (and maximize our chance to develop proper aqueducts.) AN also said that the dam would save time on the garden if done first, so we get some juicy action economy as well.

A dam is probably necessary for a proper aqueduct or water power system at the very least. And we're close in tech to each of those. Personally, I'm strongly inclined to do the dam before or at the same time as the garden, since it will allow us to have controlled year round flow (and maximize our chance to develop proper aqueducts.) AN also said that the dam would save time on the garden if done first, so we get some juicy action economy as well.

But how will we deal with a nomad attack?

We should be careful with kicking. It is a button, and we've been warned about pressing buttons.

Do we even have enough econ to complete both? Or will our provinces have to pitch in with expand economy?

Back